New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC

As they arrive at the bridge Thast kicks the stone built structure, testing its durability. If the water was higher I could probably collapse the bridge and stop anyone from getting by with ease. he thinks as he looks at the work of stone. " Everyone we have two choices I can see at the moment, either way I will take first watch." He says before pointing to the bridge with his warhammer. "The first is I use my magic, and as a group we destroy the bridge supports so it collapses forcing most of our pursuers to at least find a new way across, or I turn the ground on the other side into mud as deep as I stand. Both options should slow them down, however depending on their numbers I don't know if I want to risk leaving the bridge standing." the dwarf states, giving his fellow swordpoints his views on their choices.

"The horns we heard, and the howls that came after. That dam goblin defiantly told his friends where we were so sleeping without making a few problems for these buggers will get us killed. And if you are sleeping I suggest you do so in a tree, at least you can use the leaves to hide you. Most predators don't look up to the sky when they think they are the hunter. And the blasted wolves or whatever they have no doubt can not climb."
    Unghiurile de Nord și unghiuri de Sud . La est la vest auzi strigăt mea . Proteja pe cei care îi iubesc atât de mult , de a proteja cele pe care le numesc prietenii mei , Protejați cele pe care le numesc familia mea . Protejați-le toate aruncat în această seară . Amin .

-Orginal Quote made by myself when I was a boy, a prayer to protect all that which matters to me.-

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Natali

"The filthy rats have our scent by now, now doubt. I say we make a stand. The bridge will make a good focal point to draw them in and is easily defended. Better than being surrounding by the skulking greenskins. Bringing it down is a good option. I think we should save that surprise for later, especially if they bring any big friends with them we might be able to send them down with it.

In the meantime we should get some rest. It could be a long night."

With that Natali starts preparing her bedroll next to her warhorse, removing a few unlit torches from her saddlebag and laying them next to her, offering more around should anyone need one for later. She stays fully armoured, ready for the inevitable warning.

Spoiler: watch
    Show
    Natali will take second watch, which I guess leaves third watch for Sara.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

It seems that the goblin' allies were not far behind, nor they cared for being stealthy. Not a minute after they made a camp, set the bedrolls and set the first watch, a wolf howl and horn signal sounded from road behind them. Close behind them. The pale moonlight broke through the clouds, offering light for an inevitable fight.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Battle grid.

You have 2 round to prepare. Use it well, it won't be an easy fight.
    DM: Swordpoints, Storms and Stars IC | OOC

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Hilata

"They'd have caught us if we kept going, anyway,"
    Hilata says. She cast a pair of spells, and stands there, there, there, and there waiting.

Spoiler
    Show

Fog Cloud, duration 50 minutes. 20' radius, with the closest edge of the cloud obscuring row 8, so a centerpoint of J11:K12. Maybe some of the goblins will fall into the drink.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fogCloud.htm
    Mirror Image (1d4+1)[3] images, duration 5 minutes
    Hilata in L5 with images in L4, L6, and K5.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mirrorImage.htm
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-10-04 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added Fog Cloud
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Dam fool's attack us while we are all awake still. That will cost them." Thrast says as he retreats back to the other side of the bridge with his allies and begins intoning a prayer to the gods to for this moment work together as one to stop these goblins from causing any more harm in these lands.

Spoiler: Actions for round 1
    Show

Move action to J5 so he is standing side by side with Hilata
    Standard action Casting Interfaith Blesing which lasts for 5 minutes

EDIT

Round 2

With the group blessed as well as he could, Thrast picks up three heavy looking stones and asks the soul forger to imbue them with magical potential so that he may be able to at least distract their opponents while his allies did battle with them on the front line. Something the stubborn old dwarf would much rather be doing, however given he was needed to bring down the bridge if his allies needed to escape he knew where his place was.
    Last edited by Aparator al Zei; 2016-10-04 at 07:59 PM.
    Unghiurile de Nord și unghiuri de Sud . La est la vest auzi strigăt mea . Proteja pe cei care îi iubesc atât de mult , de a proteja cele pe care le numesc prietenii mei , Protejați cele pe care le numesc familia mea . Protejați-le toate aruncat în această seară . Amin .

-Orginal Quote made by myself when I was a boy, a prayer to protect all that which matters to me.-

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Spoiler: question
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Pol Detson View Post
    You have 2 round to prepare. Use it well, it won't be an easy fight.
    Q: are the goblins attacking from the side of the river that most of us are on or the opposite side from us?
    I am going to presume the opposite side unless informed otherwise...

Actions rounds 1,2: disperse 2 bags of marbles 1 at J9 and the other at K9, draw both swords and return to the others at K4,
    EDIT: Hold action for the first Foe that is across the marbles area: then move to melee range : then attempt to intimidate (Demoralize opponent) the foe Intimidate +16 (1d20+16)[22] -
    Last edited by samduke; 2016-10-05 at 12:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Natali

Natali's mouth is held stern but her eyes glitter and betray her anticipation of the combat. She grabs her shield and mounts up, ready to hold the flank.

Spoiler: Actions & status
    Show
    Move action: Pick up shield
    Move action: Mount horse

Move action: Ready shield (strap it on)
    Move action: Draw sword, move to H4H5:I4I5

Natali Kulenov
    F Lawful Good Human (Damaran) Knight 5, Level 5, Init 2, HP 53/53, Speed 30ft
    AC 23, Touch 14, Flat-footed 21, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 5
    +1 Longsword +9 (1d8+4, 19-20/ x2)
    MW Composite longbow (+3 Str bonus) (20 standard arrows) +8 (1d8+3, x3)
    +1 Breastplate, +1 Heavy wooden shield (+6 Armor, +3 Shield, +2 Dex, +2 Misc)
    Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 16
    Condition
    Fearless (immune to fear)
    Bulwark of defence (all threatened squares are difficult terrain for foes that start their turn threatened by me)
    Vigilant defender (+5 DC to attempt to Tumble past me)
    Combat Reflexes: can AoO while flat-footed
    Higher ground (+1 attack vs Medium or smaller foes when mounted)
    Interfaith blessing (+2 sacred bonus to AC, included in above stats)

Warhorse: scent, low-light vision, interfaith blessing (+2 damage); Active skill trick: Defend
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-10-04 at 10:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Cleric of Moradin blessed all his allies, beseeching not only Soul Forger, but all the good and gracious gods for favours, then blessing three stones. Hilata worked her devious magic and with last word the fog engulfed bridge and road behind it. Then another spell split her into four, three illusion and her in flesh and blood. Natali prepered her arms and shield. Sara set quick trap on the bridge and returned in line.

Quick moment after they stood in line a heavy tud! , fallowed by loud grunt of equal pain and surprise. The fighter' trap worked. Sara sprinted across bridge and shouted at bulky, massive and ugly brute. He was at least eight feet tall and quite confused as he clutched to gnarled club. An ogre!

The howls and surprised shouts in goblin were accompanied by two arrows, which exited the fog high above dwarf' head, utterly harmless.

It will be confusing fight.

Show

Battle grid.

Sara, you can ready only standard or move action, not both. I will let that one slide, but keep it in mind for next time.

Roll vs Demoralization:(1d20+4)[20]

Note that fog blocks line of sight. Your initiative is 11. I rolled for your enemies, but you know nothing about them, so I'll keep it private for time being. The enemy visible to Sara is prone and shaken, and his initiative is 3.

Your turn(s).

Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-10-05 at 02:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Hilata

"Well, that's a good start," Hilata murmurs. She readies a spell for the first foe to become visible.

Spoiler
    Show

Can I see the ogre through the corner of the fog? Hard to tell.
    Readied action to cast Daze on the first visible enemy (preferably the ogre now, if Hilata can see him), Will DC 13 or lose a turn.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/daze.htm
    Campaign Logs:

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Sara's Actions
    Free/Swift: Identify Foe, knowledge check: (1d20)[16] in order to tell the others what it is on the bridge.

Spoiler: combat
    Show

Combat: Full Attack +9: < Foe is Prone and shaken >
    PH-6 (1d20+3)[9] , OH-10 (1d20-1)[11]
    < Confirm Crits PH (1d20+3)[15], OH (1d20-1)[5]
    Damage PH (1d8+3)[4] OH (1d8+1)[4]
    Last edited by samduke; 2016-10-05 at 02:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Hilata casted another spell, seeing a bulky figure and the spell failed against giant-kin mind!

Sara slashed twice, but wild and instinctive sweep of ogre's club forced her to take step back, and blades passed through fog.

Show

Save vs daze (1d20+1)[2] failed (edit: -2 from shaken!). Ogre is dazed. Daze, 0 level, works only against humanoids.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-10-05 at 03:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    I thought more people were on the bridge? Assuming I am going by the map where it shows only Sara and the O

As the priest of the Soul Forger notes the fallen enemy he slowly takes his time to aim the pebble in his hand before letting it fly across the battlefield hoping to hit the fallen enemy that was just barely visible in the fog.

Spoiler: Magic stone attack
    Show

Attack roll (1d20-2)[17] (-4 for throwing into melee, +2 normal)
    Damage (1d6+1)[7]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Natali

Hearing the loud thud and seeing Sara engaged with something on the bridge Natali leaps from her horse and dashes forward, slashing down with all her strength at the huge brute scrambling on the stone.

Spoiler: rolls & status
    Show
    Free Move action: Swift dismount (Ride DC20 otherwise move action) (1d20+1)[9]
    Move action: Move to J8
    Standard action: longsword vs ogre (1d20+8)[21] (incl +4 prone, -5 power attack) damage (1d8+9)[13]
    concealment 1-20 misses (1d100)[72]

Hopefully positioned for an AoO if it rises.

Natali Kulenov
    Condition
    Bulwark of defence (all threatened squares are difficult terrain for foes that start their turn threatened by me)
    Shield block (+1 shield AC vs ogre)
    Power Attack ( -5 attack, +5 damage)

Warhorse: scent, low-light vision
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-10-06 at 03:59 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Priest notes the fallen enemy, but hitting into the fog, between his companion is difficult. The stone disappear into the fog.

Natali, seeing her brilliant strategy, hitting all at once in the most advantageous chokepoint, not surviving contact with the enemy, decided to join the melee. Her horse, sensing the stench of ogre and goblins, was less than cooperative. What could be a smooth move, become awkward jump. She got to Sara' side in time to see ogre standing.

Brute stood up, yet again stepping on scattered marbles, and two women imminently used the opportunity to strike. Both slashed through ogre' primitive armor. Red blood splashed into mist.

The ogre retaliated against Sara, hitting her in legs with club. The pain was overwhelming.

The other enemies didn't waste the time. One of them swam through the calm stream and emerged in front of Hilata. This creature has the apelike posture and rubber green skin, but it is merely the size of a large human. Its claw were black and inhuman, its bestial visage bespoke kinship to trolls.

Spoiler
    Show

AoO Natali: (1d20+9)[22]; crit:(1d20+9)[23] damage: (1d8+4)[12] miss: (1d100)[85]
    AoO Sara: (1d20+3)[17]; crit:(1d20+3)[5] damage: (1d8+3)[5] miss: (1d100)[92]

Ogre: (1d20+6)[25] (-4); crit:(1d20+6)[14](-4) damage: (2d8+7)[13] miss: (1d100)[67]

Ogre is prone and shaken. Sara takes 13 damage.

New enemy emerge on L6.

Your turns. Remember to roll miss chances: d100 and and >20 hit.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-10-06 at 02:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Hilata

Hilata steps back, her mirror images blurring together as a blast of bright rainbow colors coruscates from her hands.

Spoiler
    Show

She is now in K4, with images at K5, L4, and L5.
    Color Spray, Will DC 14, cone with the western edge along column L so it doesn't hit our two bridge-battlers.
    Campaign Logs:

16. - Top - End - #46

The moment beguiler moved back, the black claws passed harmlessly in front of her face. Magical spray painted the fog with many colours, but didn't stun the beast. Cunning, hate-filled eyes observed shifting images..

Show

Troll takes AoO, misses horribly and makes his will safe.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"By Moradin's Hammer!" the dwarf in heavy armor swore as he saw the creature larger than him with black claw like nails emerge from the river. "Don't worry Las I'll deal with this." The noble dwarf said as Thrastrulim Hammerfoot placed his body in the direct way of the ugly creature, before raising his hammer, trying to crack the creatures skull before its deadly claws had a chance to taste any flesh.

Show

Thrastrulim takes a 5ft. step to K6 (saying the others are filled with Mirror images)
    Standard Action Melee attack with Dwarvencraft Warhammer (1d20+8)[15] (+6BAB ,+1 Masterwork, +1 weapon focus) Damage (1d8+3)[5] +1 fire damage

Special If this creature is of the giant type Thrast gains a +4 bonus to AC against it.

HP 36/36
    AC 24 (28 against giants)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Natali

Natali barks a quick command to her trained horse. Ducking the wild swing of the club she returns her focus to the combat at hand and strikes out again slashing at the hulking ogre.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Move action: Order warhorse to switch from : "Defend" to "Guard" skill trick so it will guard our flank (it's still at H4H5:I4I5).
    Standard action: longsword vs ogre (1d20+9)[25] damage (1d8+4)[10] misses (1d100)[39]

Natali Kulenov
    Condition
    Shield block (+1 shield AC vs ogre)

Warhorse: scent, low-light vision, interfaith blessing (+2 damage)

19. - Top - End - #49

Creature twist away from dwarven-carft hammer, dodging by a width of a hair. The blow landed on soft river bank.

Natali' sword arced down, biting deep into the ogre shoulder. The gush of blood and scream of pain pierced the fog.

Show

Samduke' turn.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Sara Actions

Spoiler: vs. Ogre prone/shaken
    Show

Attack PH (1d20+3)[20] OH (1d20-1)[13]
    confirm crit:PH (1d20+3)[17] OH (1d20-1)[17]
    Miss PH(1d100)[28] OH(1d100)[43]
    Damage PH(1d8+3)[9] OH(1d20+1)[17] <- opps wrong roll
    Last edited by samduke; 2016-10-07 at 07:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Sara half-stepped, twisted and drove her scimitar down. It fell like executioner axe, severing head of flailing brute. The ugly thing rolled and rested close to the armoured legs of Natali. The women exchanged glance, but there was no more time.

Worg' riders were across river. The wet and furious wolf-creatures carried three goblins. Two on right and one on left, joining the clawed monster. All three imminently joined fray, their swords all finding blood. God' blessing failed the cleric as blade pierced one of less armoured joints, leaving bleeding wound on his arm. The lone horse missed worg's skull with hoofs and bit off wolf' ear, but when lowering its head both goblin slashed at it sides.

The clawed monster reached for Hilata' mirages, shredding one of them and missing the other. Then it stepped closer, its back to the forest.

Show

Ogre is dead.

? against mirror images on K5 and L5 (1d20+6)[8]; (1d20+6)[15];
    ? takes 5ft step on L5.

There is lot of dice, so for sake of brevity:

Horse use ready action and full attack worg on I6; misses with hoofs, but his bite deals 5 damage.

Both hobgoblins hit the horse with longswords dealing 13 damage. Third one scores natural 20, don't confirm critical hit against Thrast, dealing 7 damage.

Battle grid.

Your turns.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-10-08 at 01:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Natali

With the ogre brute slain Natali spins and steps toward the nearest worg rider, keeping her shield raised even as she slashes out at the fierce worg it rides.

Spoiler: info
    Show
    Not-an-action: 5ft step to J7
    Standard action: longsword vs worg (1d20+7)[11] damage (1d8+6)[14] miss chance <20 (1d100)[67]

Natali Kulenov
    Condition
    Shield block (+1 shield AC vs I6 worg)
    Power Attack (-2 attack, +2 damage)

Natali's Warhorse
    Heavy Warhorse , Level 4, Init 1, HP 17/30, Speed 50ft
    AC 14, Touch 10, Flat-footed 13, Fort 7, Ref 5, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Hoof x2 +6 (1d6+4, x2)
    Bite +1 (1d4+2, x2)
    No armour (+1 Dex, -1 Size, +4 Natural)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 6
    Condition
    Scent,
    Low-light vision,
    Interfaith blessing (+2 damage, not included in above stats)
    Skill tricks: attack, come, defend, down, guard, and heel

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Hilata
    Hilata steps back; her gloves glow briefly, and three purple missiles shoot out at the forest troll.

Spoiler
    Show

5' step to J3. Using 1/3 charges and a level 1 spell slot for Magic Missile. (3d4+3)[11]
    Campaign Logs:

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Nug Humper!" Thrast curses as the blade of his enemy finds a weak point in his armor and pushes through to his skin below. The bloody thing hurt him, the child of Moradin. It would learn to regret its last action the dwarf thinks to himself as he throws his shield up into the worg like creatures face to momentarily blind the creature as his hammer came in from its blind spot, trying to split its skull in two.

Spoiler: Full round action
    Show

Fighting defensively (-4 attack +2 dodge bonus to AC)
    Attack roll (1d20+4)[6] Damage (1d8+3)[4] +1 fire damage

HP 29/36
    AC 26 against all targets except F which is the target of my dodge feat AC 27 vs him.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Natali's horse

The destrier rears and lashes out at the nearby assailants...

Spoiler: attacks
    Show
    Sorry I should have rolled attacks for the horse in my last post rather than leave yet another task for the DM. Please ignore if you wish to overrule and have it do something other than attack.

Full attack vs random enemies
    Hoof (1d20+6)[7] damage (1d6+6)[11]
    Hoof (1d20+6)[18] damage (1d6+6)[12]
    Bite (1d20+1)[20] damage (1d4+4)[8]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

(On phone can't roll) Sara's actions dancing fient ability to j6 attacking worg at i6 - bluff check effectively as part of the combat attack - attack both swords ( if gm wants to roll for me otherwise - Monday sometime)

27. - Top - End - #57

Everything happens almost at once.

Beguiler's false images take steps back with him and Hilata seared troll's flesh with three points of light as the beast lunged step forward and struck at all Hilata' visages in front of him. First claw dispersed false image to her right, but second missed her by inches and the bite didn't reach last image to her left. Trolls wounds were half-healed in instant.

Moradin' cleric tried to cleverly use the shield, but experienced hobgoblin soldier read through it. Rider and his worg avoided swinging hammer.

Natali strike wasn't more successful. Sacrificing accuracy for strength didn't pay off this time.Sara fallowed in her step, but instead of striking, she danced elaborate feint in front of worg.. if the wolf creature was surprised, it didn't show, because warhorse savaged it kicking and biting. The beast barely cling to life.

The hobgoblin's discipline held. Both riders circles around the destrier; the wounded worg snaps at the horse, distracting it from the other rider-beast pair and it's fatal. Hobgoblin' sword pierced horse's side and ended it life.

Thrast' defensive stance and armour proved effective as both worg and its rider are unable to land a hit.
    Show

@Ghostfoot, much appreciated.

@Aparator al Zei, I am looking at your sheet and you don't have dodge feat (and with 8 DEX you can't have it), what am I missing?

@Samduke, Dancing Feint is standard action as normal buff Feint and the penalty against non-humanoid foes as worgs still apply. Taking this in consideration I still rolled for it, and it proven quite ineffective.

So, the troll take 5 ft step and full attack splitting claw, claw, bite between three targets. He hit only once. One mirror image less.

Both worgs take 5ft steps to the side to both flanking bonuses. Horse takes 4 attacks for total of 26 points of damage and dies.

Third hobgoblin and worg both miss against Thrast.

Battle grid.

Your turns.
    Last edited by Pol Detson; 2016-10-09 at 02:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thrasts watches with utter rage burning in his eyes as the riders danced around his hammer and killed the noble steed that had tried defending them all. A fire burned within the priest of Moradin, no doubt fueled by the soul forgers forge itself as he struck out with his hammer, no longer on the defensive as he tried to bring down the rider on his right.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    (1d20+8)[16] Damage (1d8+3)[6] +1 fire damage if hit

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Sara's Actions

Spoiler: vs. worg at J5
    Show

Dancing Feint (1d20+13)[24]
    Attack PH (1d20+3)[16] OH (1d20+1)[11]
    confirm crit:PH (1d20+3)[19] OH (1d20+1)[7]
    if this applies Miss PH (1d100)[26] OH (1d100)[22]
    Damage PH (1d8+3)[11] OH (1d8+1)[5]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Hilata

"We're being outflanked!" she cries out, frustrated that she can't use her best spells due to the close quarters. Hilata steps back, bright colors momentarily lighting up the night again.

Spoiler
    Show

OK, so no setting up for glitterdust this round...

5' step back to J2 (with images following), and Color Spray Will DC 14 in a 15' cone south. That hits the forest troll and the hobgoblin+warg in J5.
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-10-11 at 11:29 AM.
    Campaign Logs: