New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Druid/Magic-User?

I know that a dual-classed Druid/M-U is possible, but is a Druid/M-U (NOT a Druid/Ranger/M-U, which was presented in a dragon magazine article) multiclass legal?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2016-09-26 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Druid/Magic-User?

Yes.

Further, I interpret it that only Half-elves can be Druid Mages, as you essentially treat druids as clerics when it comes to multiclass options, and since only a half-elf can be a cleric/mage then the same applies to Druid/mages.

That also gives half-elves something special that no other race can do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I seem to remember two answers to this sort of question from the days when I played AD&D:

1) No - only those listed combinations of classes can be used for multi-class characters.

2) Yes - if a demi-human can play those classes they can multi-class them (up to a limit of three classes of different types).

Different groups interpret the rules different ways; also AD&D is much more prone to local house-rulings than later versions so do what suits your group.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

2e, explicitly yes. The multi-class list for half-elves has Cleric*/Mages, with the asterisk specifically allowing Druid to replace cleric.

1e, they are not listed as possible in the PH... note that both illusionist and assassin, subclasses of magic-user and thief, get their own entry in lists of multiclasses, but druid and ranger do not. I couldn't find, in a quick check, an opening for half-elf druid-magic-users in Unearthed Arcana, either, but it might be referenced elsewhere.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    2e, explicitly yes. The multi-class list for half-elves has Cleric*/Mages, with the asterisk specifically allowing Druid to replace cleric.

1e, they are not listed as possible in the PH... note that both illusionist and assassin, subclasses of magic-user and thief, get their own entry in lists of multiclasses, but druid and ranger do not. I couldn't find, in a quick check, an opening for half-elf druid-magic-users in Unearthed Arcana, either, but it might be referenced elsewhere.
    Actually, there is a chart in the official errata for UA that shows Druid/Mage as a possible combination.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadHarve View Post
    Actually, there is a chart in the official errata for UA that shows Druid/Mage as a possible combination.
    I stand corrected. Thanks!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wow - I don't think i ever knew there was an errata for Unearthed Arcarna!

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Wow - I don't think i ever knew there was an errata for Unearthed Arcarna!
    Yup - here's a link. This is from the official errata that was printed in Dragon Magazine.

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog...3%20errata.pdf

9. - Top - End - #9

Old school errata didn't screw around, either. It was formated so you could literally cut it out and paste it into the book over the mistake.
    The Cranky Gamer

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    I know that a dual-classed Druid/M-U is possible, but is a Druid/M-U (NOT a Druid/Ranger/M-U, which was presented in a dragon magazine article) multiclass legal?
    What is permissible is what the DM says is permissible. As noted, UA errata may say it's "legal", but what if the DM may not care to consider the errata as valid? Or doesn't have UA and isn't considering it as applicable in the first place? A paladin/assassin is legal if the DM says it is. (Wouldn't make a lick of sense to me, but as the saying goes, "You no make the game, you no make the rules.")

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yup - here's a link. This is from the official errata that was printed in Dragon Magazine.

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog...3%20errata.pdf
    Given that was the first time I saw it and I spotted a mistake, did the errata get an errata?

But as D+1 says, what your DM says is legal is what is legal - and a Paladin/Assassin might be perfectly valid in some settings (as a possible example, where would someone like The Operative from Serenity or Silas from The Da Vinci Code fit in terms of their classes?), so long as the DM works around the Good/Evil alignment requirements incompatibility.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Most certainly. Character race table I on p.13 of 1e PH allows for it. Level limitations apply if you enforce them. One my favorite characters is a half elven Druid/Mage. It is a very powerful combination But does require some skill to run effectively. I would counsel beginning players against running that combo until they became really proficient at playing both classes separately. The other thing to consider is the opposite temperaments inherent in each class. Mages are typically bookish and enjoy spending long hours in libraries reading archives, studying the mystic arts and generally expanding their mind. Druids on the other hand spend 99.999% of their time outdoors if theycan help it. They usually detest dark, indoor places, and if given their druthers, would never step foot in a dungeon environment. The player has to somehow reconcile these two personality types to his DM. In my case, The character loved learning from an early age and became enamored with the mystical arts. yet he spent much of his time as a youth carting his books into the woods or on a hilltop and did his studies under the sun, or under the shade of an old tree. you get the idea...
    Last edited by The BlindCleric; 2017-04-02 at 04:39 PM.
    Somewhere under a lost and lonely hill of grim and foreboding aspect lies a labyrinthine crypt...

13. - Top - End - #13

The Mod Wonder:
    Because I did not stop the thread
    It kindly stopped for me.
    The days had passed their mark
    A little above forty-three
    The Cranky Gamer