New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default New Spell for Rangers, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards

Working on a new spell for gishes. This one isn't supposed to be flashy, for those who are discreet about their magic.
    Last edited by DracoKnight; 2016-09-27 at 01:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: New Spell for Rangers, Warlocks, and Wizards

A solid damage boost, but no utility and less duration than hunter's mark. Should be fine

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: New Spell for Rangers, Sorcerers, Warlocks, and Wizards

Not sure you should give it to the Wizard. The Wizard doesnt get Hunters mark or hex, or anything that gives a lot of damage on hits, at least not that early. I think its because of the EK - 1d6+(3-5) damage is quite a lot to give on that many attacks. Putting it on other lists seems fine for the reason given above.
    Extended Signature with Homebrew for 5e

All my homebrew is open for use or playtests for everyone. If used or playtested, i would LOVE to hear what you find of it!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by RakiReborn View Post
    Not sure you should give it to the Wizard. The Wizard doesnt get Hunters mark or hex, or anything that gives a lot of damage on hits, at least not that early. I think its because of the EK - 1d6+(3-5) damage is quite a lot to give on that many attacks. Putting it on other lists seems fine for the reason given above.
    Two points:

1) It makes it more attractive to single class on an EK, which it hasn't been since the Bladesinger came out. 4 attacks is a hell of a lot more attractive when you have a spell that can seriously augment them. If you look at the average of an EK casting storm of steel as a 4th level spell - and let's assume it's a GWF - then you have 7 (2d6) + 5 + 14 (4d6) + 5 for 31 damage * 4 attacks is 124 damage, if every attack hits. A fireball, if it hits 4 people does 112 damage if they all fail their saves (I use the example of 4 people because that's the max for an EK to hit unless they Action Surge). If the fireball hits ONE MORE person it jumps to 140 damage if they fail their save. That's a 3rd level fireball. The fullcaster still has all of their highest level slots to play with. If an EK blows their highest level slot, they can keep up with DPR that the Wizard has been dealing since 5th level. Whoop-di-do. It's fine.

2) The bladesinger needs a bit of a boost for weapon attacks, since it got Extra Attack instead of War Magic like it should have.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

it's basically strictly better hunter's mark, so I'd up the spell level. Only downside is that it doesn't apply to ranged attacks, but for things already looking at being in melee it pushes hex and hunter's mark 100% into obsolescence.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound438 View Post
    it's basically strictly better hunter's mark, so I'd up the spell level. Only downside is that it doesn't apply to ranged attacks, but for things already looking at being in melee it pushes hex and hunter's mark 100% into obsolescence.
    I'll probably up it to 2nd level, then.

EDIT: this would make it weapon + STR/DEX mod + 3d6 + spellcast mod per swing if an EK blew their one fourth level spell slot on it.
    Last edited by DracoKnight; 2016-09-29 at 07:13 PM.