New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: How did you come up with your name?

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    I wonder what regions of the UK have qualities any Brit would recognize but are utterly unknown to anyone else.
    Most of them, probably. The town I was born in (Northampton) is historically famous for producing shoes, for instance, but I'd be surprised if anyone outside Northamptonshire knew that, much less anyone outside the country!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's the setting of That 70's Show, so it has that going for it.

....I think.
    Well, that's true, but even I forgot about that part, despite loving That 70's Show and the fact that the opening literally yells "HELLO WISCONSIN"

Oh, also some of the best of Midwestern Craft Beers (Best in the WorldTM)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

It's half my real last name.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Most of them, probably. The town I was born in (Northampton) is historically famous for producing shoes, for instance, but I'd be surprised if anyone outside Northamptonshire knew that, much less anyone outside the country!
    I thought that was common knowledge, at least to people who know the history and legacy of the noble St. Hubbins (detailed in the Book of Leather, along with St. Hubbins' Prayer, or the "Let our boots be strong" prayer.) Another popular UK shoe district is the Isle of Lucy, if I remember right.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

My name was part of the title of a difficulty setting in an old game by Raven/ID software. Not really spectacular but I always kinda liked the ring of it.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Would have guessed it was famous for being north of Hampton (ham capital of the world, produce the stuff by the ton). After all, everyone knows English name their cities after what they are most famous for.
    -Bristol is famous for its bristol board
    -bath is famous for its baths
    -Canterbury has extremely hard ground
    -Hastings which is known for its great speed (how they got a town on wheels, I don't know)
    -Hay on Wye is known for horrible sandwiches and their inability to spell rye.
    -Sandwich is the enemy of Hay on Wye and known for their great sandwiches
    -York is known for its Yorkshire puddings (Ok, this is making me hungry. One last one though)
    -Cowbridge which oddly enough is famous for being a small market town in Wales.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Would have guessed it was famous for being north of Hampton (ham capital of the world, produce the stuff by the ton). After all, everyone knows English name their cities after what they are most famous for.
    -Bristol is famous for its bristol board
    -bath is famous for its baths
    -Canterbury has extremely hard ground
    -Hastings which is known for its great speed (how they got a town on wheels, I don't know)
    -Hay on Wye is known for horrible sandwiches and their inability to spell rye.
    -Sandwich is the enemy of Hay on Wye and known for their great sandwiches
    -York is known for its Yorkshire puddings (Ok, this is making me hungry. One last one though)
    -Cowbridge which oddly enough is famous for being a small market town in Wales.
    Damn, I think you did better than I on that one.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn, I think you did better than I on that one.
    Yours was a lot more subtle though (admittedly that is mostly because I never watched Spinal Tap)

I am quite proud of that one though and I didn't even get to talk about the town named after a person sitting on fabric (Berwick-Upon-Tweed) or the town where Lincoln was born called Lincoln. Fun fact, at least 2 of the places on that list are actually known for what I said they were known for.

The sad part is those aren't even some of the weirdest names on the list and I was just looking at the list of cities that used to have town walls. I shudder to think what some of the names not on that list are like. Probably stuff like Bell End, Dog Village and Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch
    Last edited by Hamste; 2016-10-25 at 09:37 AM.

Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was 14 years old sitting in my living room trying to think of a new name to use while playing online. I ended up randomly thinking of Jobs_for_Fun, not sure how but it just came into my head...

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Smitemeister View Post
    My name was part of the title of a difficulty setting in an old game by Raven/ID software. Not really spectacular but I always kinda liked the ring of it.
    I remember that! Was that Heretic?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

I just wanted something that sounded like the name of a dragon tamer, which my character was, and ended up switching my real initials unknowingly and my character was named Kevin Drake. It was either that or donkey kong, and I didn't have to go too far for the name of my character's dragon, Helios, either. I just picked up the video game nearest to me, and named the dragon after the first dragon I saw in the game. The game was the first bakugan game for the ds btw

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

The player for our rouge did the same, (initial swap I mean), and our fighter's player just picked the most mysterious name he could think of, and the player of our dragonborn paladin (well not him but I made the character cuz we needed a tank) just slapped the words "armored dragon" into a translator and fiddled around with it until he got something that sounded cool.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's the surname of a Bard I played for a while. Plus I just like foxes.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

The Sly part comes from Sly Cooper, the Guy McFly bit is not a reference to the band or the movie but stolen from a character in an obscure webcomic I read when I was about... 19 or so.
    Truth resists simplicity.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Goldie is part of my real name and I just liked the pun of Goldiefish

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I used some of the Dragonlance era naming styles for elves, for a Dragon Magazine Mariner character in 1st ed. Years later, I used the name as a gaming handle.

/salute

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

SK are my initials. Tarq is short for Tarquin which is what my father wanted to name me but my mother raised a level of Cain or three to stop him. Anyway some of my friends found out about my father's plans and started to call me Tarquin or just Tarq/Tark for short. Out of the 300+ nicknames I had at boarding school (apparently my real name was too boring for the weird kid) that Tarquin group was one I minded least. Thus it ended up on an old email account circa 1999. Never shook it off as a moniker,

18. - Top - End - #108
    Colossus in the Playground

Back when the hottest game on the mmo market was Everquest, I got the game and one of my first characters was called Traab. He turned out to be my main. Then when I switched to other games, like dark age of camelot, lotr online, everquest 2, and world of warcraft, I kept the name because it let people I knew from other titles know that it was me. I actually stumbled across my original everquest guild from back in 99 on WoW when it was a new release entirely by accident. They just happened to pick the same server as me, and when I saw someone else whose name was familiar, I asked, identified myself and boom, I was a member of a raid guild from before molten core even being in the patch notes.

So long story short, I use Traab for just about everything I do online. You never know when you will bump into old friends.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As others have posted, mine is a character from my past. Keldrin didn't start off at first level, and slogged like all my other characters. A couple of friends and I wanted to see what the heady high levels looked like in AD&D, and screw level limits,etc.
    He was an elven arch-mage/bard. We had a lot of fun, and without the urgency of getting XP, we stayed in town and role played. All our power gamer fantasies took a back seat to just having fun.

Meanwhile his relative Chondrin (MU/Ftr/Thf), took 15 years to get up to the midteens. Both were fun in their own way.

Chondrin was from The Sunset Warrior, and Keldrin I made up as a variation.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I had a distinct taste of it in my mouth when I joined.

Also the name of Venusaur I raised back when Pokemon Red came out. Yes the old one.

Can't believe such a common noun wasn't taken. I still have a lingering suspicion I spelt it wrong or something.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Out of the 300+ nicknames I had at boarding school (apparently my real name was too boring for the weird kid)
    Some people just have this ability to collect nicknames. The number of times I had to clarify "No, Human is not Pablo, that's Worm" when talking about my day back in high school.

To Spinach: I doubt Brussel Sprouts is taken either. (Although even spell check doesn't want to associated itself with that one so maybe I did spell it wrong.)

22. - Top - End - #112

Planetar

I like music and I think talking to ghosts would be cool. Also one of my favorite characters in D&D was a necromancer/bard who had an unhealthy love of the song "Thriller"

Also the thought of a bunch of zombies getting together to bust a move is hilarious

23. - Top - End - #113
    Halfling in the Playground

I am a novice at RPGs, so for now it is an accurate label. Later on it would be humorously ironic and a reminder that everyone starts as a newb.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDancer View Post
    I like music and I think talking to ghosts would be cool. Also one of my favorite characters in D&D was a necromancer/bard who had an unhealthy love of the song "Thriller"

Also the thought of a bunch of zombies getting together to bust a move is hilarious
    So it isn't a reference to Crypt of the NecroDancer? It is a rhythm based rogue like game from 2015.

Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

D20... and Dragon... I'm innovative, I know.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

26. - Top - End - #116
    Banned

HalflingRogueGirl

A fist fight I got into when I was a little kid. I was a lot smaller than the guy I was fighting, so he said I was "like a mosquito". So I said "Then at least I can fly". He responded with, get this, "Then you're an avian mosquito, you're still a bug". That made so little sense I couldn't help laughing at him and the fight came to a screeching halt.
    Last edited by Avianmosquito; 2016-12-08 at 05:19 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Mith short for Mithrandir. I originally used the full name, but forum members shortened it down when referring to me, so I did a final rename as Mith and try and keep it or a variant of it as a tag.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I latched onto #93 hard. I enjoyed the wordplay enough to come up with a song the band on the poster would perform, and which album it would have been released in proximity. The propensity for optimized rangers to have favored enemies which make more sense tactically than due to their backstories plays into it, too. What might bear explaining is that the song has a more complex history than at first glance at the title. At some point I might change it to KissingAScarab, but there's going to need to be some character growth.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanCheese View Post
    Balls, I overestimated how well known my beloved state is. Wisconsin is basically Dairy: The State: The Motion Picture and I'd like to think that it's known for the Republican Party, Harley Davidsons and um... cherries?

Disillusioning moment for me
    Nah, the Republican political party's not something I associate it with. If I must mention politics and Wisconsin in the same sentence, I'm more likely to consider that Daily Show episode in which John Oliver looked for Wisconsin Democrat senators in Illinois as if it were a warzone and eventually encountered warlord Rod Blagojevich.
    It's the setting of That 70's Show, so it has that going for it.

....I think.
    What, no mention of Happy Days? How about its quasi-spin-off show Laverne & Shirley, the opening to which was re-enacted in Wayne's World just before the Alice Cooper concert in Milwaukee?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitemeister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    I remember that! Was that Heretic?
    It does indeed appear to be from Heretic.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2016-12-08 at 09:10 PM.
    I'm the ranger
    Killing a scarab

- The Cure Light Wounds
    from Three Illusion (Figment) Boys
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    And make no mistake, the real couter-argument to the idea that any wavering from historical demographic verisimilitude needs to be explained... is Roy.
    As an author, stooping to provide an explanation for any of those things in the story is to tacitly acknowledge the belief that they are Other that have no business being in the story without a good reason. And **** that.

29. - Top - End - #119

So in the '70s, a show about the '50s in Wisconsin was popular. In the '90s, a show about the '70s in Wisconsin was popular.

If anyone wants to break in to the TV game, shoot a quick pilot about the '90s in Wisconsin. And give me a cut when it inevitably becomes successful.

30. - Top - End - #120

My username is a Psychonauts reference that just sort of stuck.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.