New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How did you come up with your name?

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    According to the Song of Ice Fire wiki I just looked up, Velaryon is actually a House in its own right--rulers of the island of Driftmark. They were married into the Targaryen family, though.
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Back then in my youth I was playing Secret of Mana in SNES, and they ask name for the main character. Since I'm bad/lazy at naming, I named the main character Fri because it's friday since I thought it's name-ish enough (btw, the female main character was named Sara from saturday, and the fairy is Mon from... guess what?). The name stuck since then.
    All of that begs the question... what were you doing on Sunday?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Originally, the handle I used everywhere was Mechafox. I don't remember where exactly that came from, I think it had something to do with Starfox.

I used that for a couple years, until I started repeated being mistaken for a furry artist. That got to be awkward enough that I changed it - and as a goof, I made up a person's name that was phonetically similar to Mechafox: McAllister Fawkes (or McAFawkes).

Fawkes was available on GitP, so I shortened it further.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

My one friend in high school went by PuzzldPirate for all his username needs because he he was a Looter through and through. Teaming up with him in online games during the great Pirate-Ninja wars it made sense for me to take ScurviedNinja. You can imagine it quite easily, a Pirate puzzling over a treasure map while his Ninja friend hates being on a ship.

I came here with that name in mind but I believe it was taken. I was also the kid that always had a pack of mint gum in my younger days and so MintyNinja was a fair backup name. It's stuck here, and most other sites I go to now. Something refreshing about a ninja only noticeable by a slight mint scent.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm named after the nut bar.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    All of that begs the question... what were you doing on Sunday?
    Not playing SNES apparently
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

I accidentally re-created this thread. Well I also talked about avatars but that wasn't worth its own thread so this is my original post for that (cancelled) thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    So I have often wondered about where people's usernames (and avatars) come from. What made you pick that name/image from among the effectively infinite options?

I'll start by saying I chose Cluedrew a long time ago, when I signed up for my first online account ever. It had to do with a game I was playing at the time, or the clue part did. I added "-drew" because I felt it sounded better. I liked the repeating "ue/ew" sound (phonics people), still do actually. Anyways I have kept the name, despite the fact I don't care about the original meaning, for consistency sake and because I feel it hints at my inquisitive nature.

As for my avatar (or rather, my lack of avatar) I have just never had been able to find an image that represents me very well. Which leaves me with creating one, but even then my best ideas there have not been great. Plus there were some very intelligent people who, when I joined, also didn't use avatar and I liked the association.

Maybe as an art project I should do the sketched magnifying glass or Cluedrew.exe in OotS style, but for now I am just an idea in your head. Which also fits me sometimes.
    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I picked Red because I like the color, and because it's not a terrible prefix.
    And yet your avatar shows that are blue.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

I have this avatar because I lost my old one, and Aedilred was the only person who offered to step up and make me a new one.

May he hang his head in shame. :D

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

My handle comes from the days of playing tabletop Battletech -- Max "Killjoy" Cutter, CO of the merc unit "The Cutting Crew", who specialized in, um, "aggressive salvage" of enemy mechs / tech.

They "made a killing" during the Clan invasion.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Really into Ancient Greek history when I was in elementary school/junior high. I picked this somewhat famous Ancient Greek soldier as my codename in my first game of laser tag, and variations on it have been my online (and laser tag) handle ever since.

Unfortunately picking a historical person as your name means a lot of other guys take it as well, so I'll at times add other words in front or behind on different sites.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

My name comes from my YouTube name. But the reason why I chose it was because I liked to play NES games (8 Bit) and I think that ninjas are really cool. So I came up with the name 8 Bit Ninja. There are no spaces because I assumed the name was taken when I made my account.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Recherché literally means “researching” in French but it’s also slang for “fashionable” or “chic.” I study the anthropology of fashion and clothing so what could be better than obscure French wordplay combining the two?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

Name and class of my first Dungeons & Dragons character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Banned

My username is my real name, but using the spelling I figured out for it when I was two.

Suffice to say it's far removed enough from the actual spelling of my name (which is fairly uncommon) for me to feel safe using it as a pseudonym.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

My name is a part of my real surname + one never :D

15. - Top - End - #75

It's the name of the first D&D character I ever played, Amaril the elven wizard. I remember looking at the suggested names for male elf characters in the 3e handbook, seeing Aramil as the first one listed, swapping a couple consonants around, and calling it a day.

These days I'm not such a fan of elves, or wizards, so I doubt I'll ever play Amaril again.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Thundercracker is a decepticon from the original transformers.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Thundercracker_(G1)
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Thundercracker is a decepticon from the original transformers.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Thundercracker_(G1)
    I remember watching Transformers in elementary school. My brother and I would play with the toys together frequently.

Your avatar is pure undiluted awesomeness, by the way.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Libro View Post
    I remember watching Transformers in elementary school. My brother and I would play with the toys together frequently.

Your avatar is pure undiluted awesomeness, by the way.
    Ha, you can thank strawberries for that one. She had avatars for the whole cast I believe.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    I didn't choose mine, my parents did.
    My parents also choose mine

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

My name is the same one I used to use on the City of Heroes forums and in-game chat before they were shut down. I usually use a different name on different forums, but with that forum shut down I decided I might as well re-use it.

It's the same name as my first character there; the chat handle was auto-generated that way as i recall. He was a Broadsword/Regeneration Scrapper (basically Wolverine with a sword instead of claws); "Obscure" because no one knew me there, and "Blade" because, well, he used a sword.
    Last edited by Obscure Blade; 2016-10-21 at 01:55 PM.
    "The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I'm from Wisconsin

I don't need to say that much more, I don't think.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanCheese View Post
    Well, I'm from Wisconsin
    That explains "American", "Cheese" not so much.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Wisconsin produces a quarter of the US's cheese. It's not famous for much else that people remember, I know I'm drawing a blank right now. I think Harley-Davidson motorcycles is headquartered there?
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground

I decided to get more into the internet, and decided to have an original name. My choices were between a few I had made when I was younger, 'torchic explorer and 'warriorexhibition', both of which seemed a bit pretentious to keep for the foreseeable future. Thus I chose between what I had named my X and Y Pokémon team, 'Gimli' the Chestnaught, 'Solace' the Pidgeot, or 'Tentreto' the Charizard.

In the end, I liked the name Tentreto the best, but loved Solace the most as a mon, so kept the bird motif and chose Tentreto.

The name itself? Random letters put together. I do enjoy people trying to pronounce it though. Apparently its quite close to Spanish.

I do tend to also go by 'Trick' 'Ramir' and 'Pidgey' sometimes as well though.
    Last edited by Tentreto; 2016-10-22 at 11:22 AM.
    King of Caligonia in Empire 3. Crusaded into the sunset

Played as The Whitefeather Kingdom in Empire 4. Flew too close to the sun

Played as the Duenem in Empire 5. Ordered a God to stand down, and kept a contingency ready...

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Mine came from a college acceptance letter about... 11 years ago.

The header read:

DEAR JU IN,

My name is not Ju In, nor is it related to Ju or In in any way. I made fun of it, pronouncing "Dear" as "Durr". And so, Derjuin came to be.

Suffice to say I did not attend that college.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

26. - Top - End - #86
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    It's not famous for much else that people remember
    I don't think it's even famous for that outside the US, hence my puzzlement!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Balls, I overestimated how well known my beloved state is. Wisconsin is basically Dairy: The State: The Motion Picture and I'd like to think that it's known for the Republican Party, Harley Davidsons and um... cherries?

Disillusioning moment for me

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think it's even famous for that outside the US, hence my puzzlement!
    Huh. Yeah, to any American the mention of Wisconsin immediately conjures up images of cheese and people wearing cheese hats on their heads to cheer on a football team named after the packers of... meat, actually.

I wonder what regions of the UK have qualities any Brit would recognize but are utterly unknown to anyone else.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanCheese View Post
    Balls, I overestimated how well known my beloved state is. Wisconsin is basically Dairy: The State: The Motion Picture and I'd like to think that it's known for the Republican Party, Harley Davidsons and um... cherries?

Disillusioning moment for me
    It's the setting of That 70's Show, so it has that going for it.

....I think.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-10-23 at 12:17 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #90

My name is one of the deities of the Church of the SubGenius. The mysterious god of mystery.

See http://www.poee.org/documents/Other_...f_the_Gods.htm for a full list of major Subgenius deities and other entities (warning. List of deities contains a couple minor instances of coarse language and adult situations)

EDIT:
    It appears that that site is no longer up. The linked document can still be found on this badly formatted mirror:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/leefga/dict.html
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-04-08 at 02:23 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)