New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default jewel of everlasting gold

If you are in a campaign where this artifact has essentially taken over a friendly city (by getting into the hands of the local monarchy), what can you do to save the city? The thing teleports back to the city, and the only way to destroy it is to drop it into a runewell of greed... which is probably not in the city... So... you need a wish to teleport it directly into a runewell or...? (pathfinder). We have a sorcerer and a cleric that are not really optimized.

Characters are level 11
    Last edited by mistermysterio; 2016-09-29 at 12:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: jewel of everlasting gold

You could probably effectively get rid of it by Plane Shifting it somewhere else. I'm not familiar with the artifact, but if it specifically teleports, that can't cross planar boundaries. I'd Plane Shift the thing to Mechanus, I bet the inevitables would love to destroy such a chaos-inducing artifact if it fell into their laps.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The description simply states: "should the jewel of everlasting gold ever be taken beyond the boundaries of the city it is associated with, it simply disappears and returns to its perch at the city's heart"... does this qualify as teleportation? Would it work to simply place it in another plane?

Also, those are the only casters in my group, unless you count our magus. Who should be able to do a plane shift?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Have the population vote to discorporate from the city. The city is now just a house, surrounded by a completely different city.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I was thinking we might all have to just abandon the city... too much at risk to stay

It would be a lot of people to evacuate and displace though... and i imagine most of their money will vanish once we leave the city. :(
    Last edited by mistermysterio; 2016-09-29 at 01:48 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mistermysterio View Post
    The description simply states: "should the jewel of everlasting gold ever be taken beyond the boundaries of the city it is associated with, it simply disappears and returns to its perch at the city's heart"... does this qualify as teleportation? Would it work to simply place it in another plane?

Also, those are the only casters in my group, unless you count our magus. Who should be able to do a plane shift?
    That's a good question, that sort of thing is always tricky with Artifacts. Plane Shift is on the Cleric's Spell List, so preparing that would be trivial.

Depending on how you define the 'boundaries' of the city, you could take the gem to a co-terminus plane like the Ethereal Plane or Plane of Shadow and bury it there until you can figure out how to get your hands on one of those Runewells.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by mistermysterio View Post
    If you are in a campaign where this artifact has essentially taken over a friendly city (by getting into the hands of the local monarchy), what can you do to save the city? The thing teleports back to the city, and the only way to destroy it is to drop it into a runewell of greed... which is probably not in the city... So... you need a wish to teleport it directly into a runewell or...? (pathfinder). We have a sorcerer and a cleric that are not really optimized.

Characters are level 11
    By RAW a Runewell of Greed weighs 900 pounds, so you could theoretically go find said Runewell, conjure the dragon that it allows, and use said dragon to carry the aforementioned Runewell back to the city. Although that all depends on your DM ruling that the Runewell is more like a stone bucket than a true water well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Baratheon View Post
    Also, you have just been promoted to chief royal architect in the playground. I have absolutely no authority to give that title, but it's yours nonetheless!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

A runewell is an ancient Thassilonian artifact and the runewell of greed lies in Xin Shalast in the Kodar Mountains... The location is also impervious to teleportation and planeshift magic. See the last adventure of the rise of the runelords AP

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Forbiddance might help? Cover the entire city in it, take the artifact out, and it'll become stuck perpetually trying to teleport into the city. Okay, not a practical solution.

Perhaps destroying the gem isn't needed, rendering it unusable might suffice. Encasing it in voidstone might be a good start. Could employ various methods to increase the durability of the voidstone case beyond what mundane damage can be expected to handle, and somehow get it to emanate an AMF, or employ other spells to hide the thing within the city so it can't be found?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Have you considered a handful of scrolls of disjunction? 1% chance per caster level (minimum 17, typically) to just end the artifact.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

May I ask what the problem is? Is someone just like constantly going off and using it while you're not looking? It doesn't seem to really do much, aside from making gold which can't leave the city. If it's taken out, it returns to the "heart" of the city. Find the heart and it returns reliably if someone tries to steal it.

But as to the question: if towns are just political constructs, or just the conglomeration of their populace, get everyone to pack up and move to the runewell. Tear down the original town (a couple fireballs or summon monster/planar ally should to the trick), and then call the new town the old town, and get the other towns and cartographers to accept it.