New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Bel's Age of Worms [IC]

Seramal

Seeing her steam jet has made kobold chow out of the swarm, Seramal hands Casper a potion of healing.

Spoiler: We square now?
    Show
    Move to AA13, hand over a CLW potion to the Friendly Giant.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

Realizing that he has no chance of getting close enough to aid Tobul at the moment, Narl moves closer and tries to help the dwarf by hexing the awful aberration.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move action: Move to AC 14.
    Swift action: Use hexblade's curse on mad slasher. Will DC 13 to negate, or suffer -2 penalty on attacks, damage, saves, ability checks, and skill checks for 1 hour.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Casper
    Casper stabs at the mad slasher before accepting the potion from Seramal. He backs up slightly.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage (2d6+4)[11]

5' step west and take potion.

AOO if needed (20' reach!)
    Attack (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage (2d6+4)[11]
    Last edited by J-H; 2017-09-08 at 05:23 PM.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Casper slices at the monster, dropping it like a sack of pebbles.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Heavy rhythmic thumping accompanied by heavier breathing precedes the arrival of a slightly rotund dwarf. Thick black hair and beard are braided together front and back, hanging long to his belt. A broad rosy nose supports thin wire rim glasses that cover tiny black eyes. A thick staff is in his hands, and as he stumbles to a stop just inside the room he leans heavily on it, panting.

"I say, it seems you've been in some sort of a scrap! What in the name of knowledge is that?" He pauses, scanning the room. "Are any injured? I'd be happy to help. Call me Fardus!" He swings his backpack to the floor, scroll tubes rattling.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

"I've been bit, burnt, and baked. I'll take some healing if it's on offer. My name's Casper, by the way." The human, still larger than normal, stomps over after handing the healing potion back to Seramal.
    Campaign Logs:

7. - Top - End - #277

Seramal

The half-orc gives the newcomer a toothy grin, then pouts as the potion is handed back to her.

"Oh sure. You'll trust a dwarf you just met, but not wee, sweet ol' me, big fella?"

She snorts. It's wasn't like she tried to hit him with the spell.

"Well hile an' all that, Fardus, I am Seramal Three-Curses. An' none of 'em are account o' me being half orc."

She gives a look that dares hit m to say otherwise.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-09-08 at 11:32 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

His earlier good humour gone, Narl cradles a scalded arm and throws Seramal a sour glance. "And people have the nerve to call me a jinx..."

"Fardus, eh? I'm Narl. Would you happen to have healing to spare for one more?"

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"Aye, she's a menace," Rose agrees to Narl's statement, cradling her own burn caused by Narl's alchemist's fire.

"What's the likelihood there are more bugs down there?" Rose pulls out the other oil flask and prepares it with a wick as well. She looks at her glowing sunrod distastefully and throws it into the blackness below. "Does anyone have a proper torch?"

Spoiler
    Show
    After healing/preparations, Rose will take point. If we need a rope, we should knot one up for the descent.

Spot: (1d20+4)[16]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[18]

Search: Take 10 for 23
    Search: (1d20+13)[21]

10. - Top - End - #280

Seramal

"Oi, hold on."

Seramal busies herself waving the unseen servant wand and casting light on a gold piece.

"You, ghostie," she says, handing the sevant the enchanted coin, " walk ten feet in front of us into the darkness."

She then remembers she already summoned a servant.

"Other guy! sweep up those dead bugs."

Spoiler: Duration?
    Show
    Says hour/level, I presume cast a 1st-level for the wand crafting, so are both unseen servants still active?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Smiling, the dwarf produces a wand from his bag and brandishes it, murmuring "Crumpet." as he taps first the oversized man and then the more normal sized one.

"Now then, let's see what it is that you were assaulted by." Shouldering his pack once more, he walks over with a steady rap... rap... rap... of his staff.

Spoiler: Knowledge check!
    Show
    (1d20)[15] plus:
    Arcana +11
    Dungeoneering +11
    The Planes +11
    Religion +13

Used 2 charges on wand of lesser Vigor, 11 hp healed each.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius looks down the hole with Rose as she readies the rope. "Dangerous down there. Shall we drop some more fire down there to clear the landing for you?" He lokos down and looks at his armour and sighs. "I shall follow you down" He mutters as he sheathes his sword readying to shimmy down the rope
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

The dwarf coughs, covering his large red nose with a hand as he rises from examining the remains. "Just as I suspected," he says with a clear English accent, "you lot just survived an insect swarm and a Mad Slasher. Seems you went about it in the right manner as well, if I do say so myself. Now then, is everyone all healed up? I am ever so excited to see what this place may hold! Tell me, have you come across anything you didn't fully understand? I'd be happy to take a look for you!"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"Yes. Her." Narl replies with an absolutely straight face, nodding at Seramal.
    Last edited by rax; 2017-09-12 at 01:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose turns to the dwarf, surprised by his strange accent that she has never heard in Faerun before, swollen red welts from fire and acid clearly visible in silent answer to his question. "Something I don't understand? Based on everyone else who's wandered in the past few minutes, I take it the wizard sent you. Perhaps you can tell us what we're supposed to be looking for? Did he tell you that, by chance?"

Rose watches the unseen servant move into the pit carrying the glowing coin. "Thanks, but can't light a wick with a coin. No one has a torch? Cyrius?"
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2017-09-12 at 12:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286

Seramal

Comprehension lights up Seramal's face, now that the woman slowly and clearly explains her need.

"Oh, a light as in means to strike tinder! Why din'tcha say so?"

Rummaging in her disorganized pack, she tosses Rose a flint & steel.

"Standard tomb raider gear. I'll want it back, by the way."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

The dwarf once again flourishes the wand, tapping Rose on the nose and saying "Crumpet. Now then, all better in moments!" He glances around, casting a sly glance and a chuckle towards Narl and Seramal.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Rose
    Rose watches the unseen servant move into the pit carrying the glowing coin. "Thanks, but can't light a wick with a coin. No one has a torch? Cyrius?"
    "What exactly, do you need a torch for, Mistress Rose? Your sunrod and Mistress Seramal's unseen servant should provide light aplenty down there."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

The spark of magic leaps from the tip of Faruds's wand to the tip of her nose, causing her to sneeze. Still, the feeling of pain ebbing from her burns is worth it. "Thank you."

"Those bugs weren't afraid of the light," she says to the Hexblade. "Fire is another matter."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

"Thank you." The human smiles at the dwarf after being healed. "There are some strange transportation chambers here, and this puzzle with colored lights. It doesn't make much sense to me as a tomb."
    Campaign Logs:

21. - Top - End - #291

Seramal

"Well I can see fine enough. I'll call if it's safe!"

Gripping the rubble as best she can, Seramal switches to darkvision and shimmies down the pit.

Spoiler: Into the breach!
    Show
    (1d20+1)[3]
    Or, I could take 10...

And promptly loses her grip and falls to the floor below.

"I'm okay!"
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-09-13 at 01:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"That's true. Good thing I have more alchemist's fire in my pack then. Assuming we're not going to be making a habit of standing around in the middle of a beetle swarm, of course," he replies with a sly smile.

The sound of Seramal crashing down into the pit distracts Narl from further conversation. "Well, that answers the question of who goes down the pit first. I suppose someone had better check to see that she really is okay." Thrusting his flail uncomfortably between his torso and his backpack, Narl begins to climb gingerly down into the pit, with his magical watch lamp providing light.

Action: Climb, taking 10. Total 11. No DC given, so I hope that's enough...

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

(As stated in the OOC, it seems my other post didn't go through.)

As the new arrival steps forward, Tobul introduces herself as he starts handing out healing. "Tobul Amshem, Captain of the Brass Prices."

"Er... I could also use one of those."
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Fardus raises an eyebrow at his fellow dwarf's state. "You must have a pair of brass pieces indeed to have taken such a beating. Here, one for now... Crumpet. And another one in a minute and you'll feel right as rain."

Glancing over as Seramal disappears into the hole, he shrugs and turns to look around the room, pondering as to the nature of the space and its origins.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Two more wand charges used, assuming nothing happens in the next minute.
    Knowledge History (1d20+5)[20]
    Lore (1d20+3)[11], plus 2 more if my Ancestral Knowledge feat applies to the Lore feature.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

For our new friend:
    Spoiler: knowledge arcana or history
    Show

Spoiler: DC 10
    Show

The glyphs don't seem to be formed from a common alphabet, although they are reminiscent of arcane symbols representing elemental air.

Spoiler: DC 15
    Show

The glyphs don't seem to be formed from a common alphabet, although they are reminiscent of arcane symbols representing elemental air.

They represent names, with each referring to a single individual. The glyph on the arcane apparatus at area 2 probably represents the seal of the most important or highest-ranking of the three found in the Whispering Cairn. The glyph on the sarcohpagi is the lowest-ranking of the three.

Spoiler: DC 20
    Show

They represent names, with each referring to a single individual. The glyph on the arcane apparatus at area 2 probably represents the seal of the most important or highest-ranking of the three found in the Whispering Cairn. The glyph on the sarcohpagi is the lowest-ranking of the three.

The letter forms look similar to an ancient glyph-language called Vaati, which some unorthodox scholars consider the original written form of Auran.

Spoiler: DC 25
    Show

The letter forms look similar to an ancient glyph-language called Vaati, which some unorthodox scholars consider the original written form of Auran.

Vaati is an Auran word meaning "Wind Duke", and refers tot eh legendary Wind Dukes of Aaqa who forged the Rod of Seven Parts. A book called the Chronicle of Chain, falsely attributed to a princess of elemental air, records a full roster of the Wind Dukes present at the Battle of Pesh and a general record of what took place there.

A comprehend languages spell might reveal the personal glyph-names.
    Spoiler: Comprehend languages
    Show

Glyph on the Sarcohpagi = the Hero Zosiel
    Glyph on the Base of the apparatus in area 2 = the General Icosiol
    Glyph found throughout = Architect Nadroc

--ʕ*ʔ--

Seramal

Climbing down the shaft with half orc abandon, she finds hand hold after hand hold, the acidic beetles having burned and ruined the shaft after the cave in had caused much damage, so much so, that it was easy for her to descend. She wasn't paying attention however, when she got near the bottom, and let go (or slipped). It was farther than she thought, and she hit at an angle with the debris below her, twisting her left ankle. (-10 speed and Non-lethal Damage - (1d4)[4], penalty lasts until damage is healed).

Looking around she sees more bas-relief figures like before.

Dozens of the figures, similar to the one on the sarcophagus lid in the room above stare disapprovingly from the walls here. Many sport crossed arms and stern expressions. A few of the statues' heads are missing, and some have huge chunks torn out of them. Others have a weird melted appearance, as if they'd been sprayed by something terrible. A large glyph that looks like a stylized arrow points down a short corridor to the north that leads to a four-way intersection.

--ʕ*ʔ--

Everyone else.

You hear a thud, followed by a curse as Seramal lands badly on the rubble below.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Map
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-09-14 at 04:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Wincing and then chuckling at the sound of the half-orc falling, Fardus turns back to Rose. "So, tell me what else you have found here! I'm certain you must have encountered some strange and majestic things. That fine looking staff you have there, for instance!" He winks, the gesture slightly exaggerated by his spectacles. "I am a scholar and a historian, and deeply interested in the nature of a place like this!"

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose hands the staff to Fardus and nods in Narl's direction. "He seems more familiar with the people who built this place. I'd ask him for his insights. But the most important thing to know is this place is designed to treat intruders like us unkindly, as the old piles of broken bones attest. Step lightly, and don't touch anything I haven't checked."

Rose takes her own advice and cautiously descends into the depths. Reaching the bottom and seeing the melted stone, she recovers her sunrod, ties it to her belt, and asks again. "I would really, really like a wooden club with a wad of pitch-sodden cloth on one end set ablaze. A torch, if you would."

Spoiler
    Show

Begin checking for anything suspicious up until the intersection:

Spot: (1d20+4)[12]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[19]
    Search (Take 10): 23
    Search: (1d20+13)[25]
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2017-09-14 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Staff hand off

28. - Top - End - #298

Seramal

"Luthic's nether lips! HEY GUYS!! THERE'S MORE STATUES DOWN 'ERE!"

She gingerly steps on her tender ankle; deciding she will live, she picks up the lit coin her vanished servant dropped.

Spoiler: I presume the Invisible Servants were out of range
    Show
    Er. I put my spoiler in the title.

Not willing to wait for the dwarf with the magic stick, Seramal downs a healing potion.

Spoiler: CLW
    Show
    (1d8+1)[7]

"If any of you'se can't climb, I can help you out. With my magical prowess!"
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-09-14 at 05:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Taking possession of the fine old staff, Fardus seems startled at the request. "Oh, I do apologize! I was so caught up in learning about this place and healing that I didn't hear your request." He pulls a torch from his pack, strikes flint to steel, and hands the burning torch to Rose. "Far beyond a fair trade, but I'm sure we'll even the balance at some point."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

While you talk, the invisible servant sweeps up the dead bugs as best he can without a broom....which isn't very well at all.

The other one grabs the coin, and promptly disappears down the hole. Seramal finds the glowing coin on the ground next to her.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-09-14 at 05:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A