New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Bel's Age of Worms [IC]

Rose's warning comes too late as the wolves lunge from the darkness and fell Seramal with a vicious savagery Rose is unprepared to witness. A pang of remorse shoots through her as Rose remembers she was just hoping for something like this to happen.

"Get away from her!" Rose uses her speed to sweep round the flank of the meanest looking of the wolves. A fire sparks in her eyes, then like magic flares behind the wolves, distracting them from her strike through the shadows.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to Q8.
    Swift action distracting ember in S10
    Standard shadow blade technique versus W1
    Attack roll 1: (1d20+6)[13]
    Attack roll 2: (1d20+6)[26]
    Crit confirm: (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[8]
    Possible extra damage: (1d6)[2] cold

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Tobul appears to stab at nothing but thin air; but then winks out of existence for an instant, reappearing at Q-11 with her blade heading straight for a wolf's face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mainly just doing it like that for style points, though I certainly wouldn't object to it giving a bonus.

Using Dimension Hop, then attacking W2.

(1d20+6)[23]
    (1d8+2)[3]
    Also, despite the stabbing motion, it should be noted that longswords are apparently only capable of slashing damage.

AC becomes 22 due to lack of (physical) movement.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2016-12-08 at 12:34 AM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

There were times Morris wished he was a real priest, or a real adventurer, because then he might be better prepared for this.
    But he knew what to do about a wounded comrade in the line when others had them mostly covered.

With long strides Morris made his way over to Seramal, and grabbing the wounded orc around the shoulders quickly pulled her away from the distracted wolves. If they wanted a piece of her, they were going to eat steel first.

Spoiler
    Show

Move to P10. Then drag Seramal into my square. I don't think I can continue moving after that, but if I can I continue into M10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

As the jaws of the wolves fell Seramal and drag her down bleeding profusely from several bite marks, the others of the party spring into action. Rose initiates a shadow hand maneuver, distracting the main wolf with the shadowy copy, enough that it skewers the animal in the head, dropping it dead.

Tobul slashes at one wolf, making it bleed slightly.

The wolves act in kind, one of them quickly circling around and snapping at Rose trying to flank it, as the other does likewise.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Both attack Rose

Wolf 2
    Attack - (1d20+5)[6] (with +2 from flank)
    Trip - (1d20+1)[11]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[6]

Wolf 3
    Attack - (1d20+5)[15] (with +2 from flank)
    Trip - (1d20+1)[4]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[6]

ROUND 2

Initiative
    1. Seramal - 22
    2. Tobul - 20
    3. Elira - 17
    4. Rose - 12
    5. Wolves - 8
    6. Morris - 8

Map

Morris grabs Seramal and drags her away from the wolves.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2016-12-08 at 02:18 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Elira Hartwell

Elira moves to cover Morris' withdrawal, knocking her sword against the side of her shield in an attempt to draw the wolves' attention. Now shoulder to shoulder with Rose, she cuts at the wounded wolf to her right.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move action: Move to Q9.
    Standard action: Attack Wolf 2.
    Attack: (d20+5)[20] + 2 (Rose's stance) = [22]
    Damage: (d8+3)[6]
    Last edited by rypt; 2016-12-08 at 03:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

She dodges the fangs of one wolf to be narrowly missed by the other. The sunrod in Rose's left hand clatters to the floor as she draws her other dagger and places her back to the armored paladin, allowing her to focus everything on delivering death to villainous mongrels.

Spoiler
    Show

Move: Draw dagger
    Standard: Wolf-fang strike, start with Wolf 2

Attack 1: (1d20+4)[18] (Assumes +2 Flanking)
    Damage: (1d4+5)[8]

Attack 2: (1d20+4)[15] (Assumes +2 Flanking)
    Damage: (1d4+5)[7]

Crit Confirm: (1d20+4)[10] (Assumes +2 Flanking)
    Damage: (1d4+5)[7]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Tobul steps to Q-10 and attacks the nearby wolf. "Elira, give me the Healing Kit!"

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[7]
    (1d8+2)[3]

Regardless of attack result, put away Longsword and hold out hand to receive Kit.

Declare Dodge vs W3. AC is 22, 23 vs W3.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Wisym Jordye comes charging down the hall, weapon drawn.

"Have at you!"

He lunges at the nearest wolf, if able.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapier - (1d20+7)[13](1d6+4)[10]
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Not letting go of Seramal Morris looks up, and drops his longsword, letting the blade clatter to the ground before he quickly kicks it out from under the orc, his other hand briefly rising up.
    The remaining wolf is suddenly engulfed in fire as a spark flies through the air behind it, expanding into a tiny ball of death.

Spoiler
    Show

Move: None.
    Standard: Firery Burst, (2d6)[9] damage, DC 14 reflex halves.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2016-12-12 at 10:33 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Seramel bleeds a little more as she groans, while the others have at the wolves with a ferocity unmatched as of yet.

Elira stabs at the second wolf, slashing it across the nose viciously, while Rose maneuvers herself perfectly, to deal swift justice, felling the second wolf with a almost perfect slash with her dagger, and then continuing her ride of success, draws and slashes at the last wolf, leaving it in pain.

Tobul, seeing Seramel still losing her lifeblood screams for the healing kit, as Wisym charges in from being distracted, able to get a glancing blow, and deliver the last strike needed to fell the mangy animal.

Morris prepares to unleash a blast of magic, but looking up, sees no more opponents.

You all quickly look onto Seramal as Tobul kneels beside her, and taking her time, manages to bind the wounds the wolves inflicted, staunching the blood.

Spoiler
    Show

4 Ranks, +2 from Kit, take 10 = 16 vs DC 15 for first aid.
    Mark 1 use off from the Kit.

A quick search of the wolfs den behind the rubble finds the following items:
    Spoiler: Items
    Show

Search DC 5
    Leather backpack half buried under a pile of old human bones contains an elaborate lantern.

Search DC 15
    An intricately carved armband of elven craftsmanship

Search DC 20
    A marble index finger, seemingly cracked off some kind of statue, or something similar.

*Let me know, if you investigate any alcove, refer to Map*
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Returning the favor, Rose pulls a small vial and administers it to Seramal

Spoiler
    Show
    Postion of lesser vigor, fast healing 1 for 11 rounds.

"I don't have any more of these, so don't go running ahead again."

With Seramal recovering, Rose recovers her sunrod and turns her attention to the room. The alcoves probably contained something--you don't just dig those things for fun--and are worth a closer look.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search of Wolf den/alcove:
    - Take 10: 15
    - Second Search: (1d20+5)[17]

Search of alcove with stairs:
    - Second Search: (1d20+5)[6]

And if we want to spend time on the others... Take 10 on initial pass, then rolls
    - (1d20+5)[9]
    - (1d20+5)[11]
    - (1d20+5)[21]
    - (1d20+5)[15]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seramal

"Why do I smell like wolf urine?" the half-orc mumbles.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Tobul offers Seramel a hand up... and a few semi-sarcastic words. "Have we learned something today?"

Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, I have! If I stop to look at something interesting, the rest of you wander into a den of wolves. I'll try to be more vigilant in the future."
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Elira Hartwell

Elira watches closely as Tobul and Rose administer aid to their wounded companion. Once it's clear that Seramal will be okay, the paladin exhales a heavy sigh of relief. "That was closer than I'd like, but fine recovery, everyone."

As the half-orc comes to, Elira crouches beside her. She smiles at Seramal's question, as well as at the comments of the others, but offers no quips of her own. She only asks, quite sincerely, "Are you alright?"

Once Seramal is back on her feet, Elira joins Rose in her search of the room.

Show
    Search (top right alcove): (d20+1)[2]

Search (top left alcove): (d20+1)[13]

Search (middle left alcove):(d20+1)[4]

Search (middle right alcove):(d20+1)[11]

Search (glowing alcove): (d20+1)[10]
    Spellcraft: (d20+2)[7]
    Knowledge (arcana): (d20+4)[21]

Last edited by rypt; 2016-12-18 at 04:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Seramal

"I learned let the Dwarf go first," she replies sheepishly.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Morris laughs at the other's answers as he retrieves his sword from where he dropped it.

"All good answers... If nothing else, I've learned adventurers should bring lots of healing potions with them, and that wolves are exactly as dangerous as bards say... I'll stand guard by the stairs while you lot look around."

With that, Morris begins walking off, a solitary spark nested in his hand... Truth be told, that spark's probably more dangerous than his steel.

Spoiler: Note
    Show

Readied Action: Fiery Burst on any non-humanoid that charges him.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

In the bottom left alcove, above where the sleeping bedroll was found:

The western hall extends perhaps forty feet, ending at a small marble platform raised about six inches off the floor. A strange, shattered arcane apparatus rests upon this platform, its curved ovular frame giving the appearance of a noble’s dressing mirror. Only a third of this frame remains. An unusual arcane glyph about the size of a mans head has been delicately carved into the baseplate of the support platform.

Spoiler: Knowledge Arcana
    Show

DC 10

Where the mirrors glass should have been, you find several ancient symbols that signify transportation.

You find (2d4)[7] shards of dark glass around the broken frame.

In the opposite alcove, fifteen feet down the east passage, a huge pile of collapsed rubble blocks the alcove from the top to bottom. It looks like it would take weeks to tunnel through the densely packed debris.

In the alcove opposite the wolf den, A wide dais spanning the back half of the western wing calls attention to a faded fresco upon the south, west, and north walls. From a vantage point a the center of the dais, the wall painting makes it look like you stand within a massive room with seven short hallways radiating outward from a central point. A chain dangles from the ceiling at the end of each hallway, and each chain bears a gleaming colored lantern. Clockwise, the colors are red, orange yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

The only way forward seems to be through the spider web. If you get close enough and peer through them, you can see a set of stairs leading further down, closer to the green flickering light.

Spoiler: Anyone who can speak Auran
    Show

Hears the following words as whispers coming from the spiderwebbed stairway:

“Hopeless”
    “Sacrilege”
    “Enemies”
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose takes stock of the intricate lantern and armband, displaying the prizes to the other members of the group. She makes note of the arcane symbol at the base of the frame; there's something familiar about it, like from a magic circle she had chance to use before... Rose shakes her head to clear the thought. Someone here is liable to be more knowledgeable about the subject than she; one can even pull flame out of thin air! Let them look at it. "Hey, there's some magical device here. Or, there used to be. Looks all busted. Probably a mirror or lens from the look of this glass." She counts the shards and stores them. They might be worth something to somebody.

It's at the mural that she stops and leans in close. Rose stares at the lantern and back at the mural. The two are related, and that lantern definitely belongs somewhere in this cairn. That meant the bones she picked it from were from some kind of tomb robber; the question of why he died with the treasure so close to the exit nagged at her. "Anyone want to hold onto this?" She offers the lantern, hoping someone will take her up on it.

20. - Top - End - #80

Seramal

Spoiler: It's a class skill, I just have no ranks...
    Show
    (1d20)[14]

Rubbing the fresh grey-green flesh where the wolf teeth recently rent, Seramal ponders the ancient trinkets.

"I'm no Mordekainen, but I think I know a magic mirror teleportation when I see one."

What she did not say is this was a wild guess. She used to read a children's story about a wicked queen of the sky and her pet spider who could walk through mirrors. The picture in the book looked like this mirror.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-12-31 at 02:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Makes you wonder what's buried on the other side, doesn't it? Course, it's not like we have time to find out. There's a job to--"

"Come to think of it, what is our job here? I expected Magic Voice to clue us in when we arrived. Maybe we are supposed to dig out whatever's buried over there."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Morris watches the spiderweb carefully, calling back.

"When pressed, Bards talk of looting, but I think we should clear the cairn properly before poking at things which would definitely be dangerous to poke at."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Elira Hartwell

Elira offers to hold onto the lantern for Rose, studying the ornamented device for a moment before stowing it carefully in her backpack.

Once the lantern is secure, she crouches down beside remains of the mirror-like apparatus to examine the engraving at its base. "Fascinating, isn't it?" At Seramal's comment regarding the apparatus, the paladin muses, "I would have loved to have seen it operation. I wonder where it led." She glances towards the mass of spiderwebs and the glowing green light, adding with a sigh, "Not that we seem to have many choices ourselves."

Show
    Elira will take 10 on the Knowledge (arcana) check regarding the mirror's engraving.

Is there any information to be gleamed from the lantern? Does it open? If so, is there wax inside or a place where a candle might be held?
    Spellcraft: (d20+2)[10]
    Knowledge (arcana): (d20+4)[19]
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-01-04 at 11:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose breathes a silent sigh of relief when Elira takes the lantern; it's enough to worry about the dangers that still exist versus whatever killed the lamp's previous owner long ago.

"I suppose you're right. I would just like to know what we're looking for so that we know when we found it." Rose studies the web-covered passage and wrinkles her nose in disgust. She never understood what those dark elves saw in these things. Sweeping away the first silk curtain with the sunrod, she offers to take the lead. "Please no more wolves."

Spoiler
    Show

Examination of webs:
    Spot checks:
    - Take 10: 14
    - Roll: (1d20+4)[18]

Listen checks:
    - Take 10: 17
    - Roll: (1d20+7)[12]

Search checks:
    - Roll: (1d20+5)[13]

Move Silently:
    - Roll: (1d20+7)[22]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Looking down the stairwell, it is hard to make out anything beyond the webbing, you see no large spiders of any kind, but dozens of smaller ones, but you are doubtful they will impede you, or even harm you.

You see another room, with flickering green light playing off the walls, beyond that, you will need to traverse the stairwell.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

26. - Top - End - #86

Seramal

"Well, before I go rushing in again, let's get rid of these..."

With a deep breath, Seramal blows a cone of fire at the cobwebs, hoping to clear the way.

Spoiler: Area of effect Ref DC 15 half
    Show
    (1d6)[3] damage if needed

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose sniffs the air. "Smells like... chicken?"

Lightly she starts down the stairway towards the flickering light. Why'd it have to be green? Why couldn't it be a friendly color? Like pink. Or fuchsia. Heck, even coral.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Has anyone told you you have a very interesting nose?"

Morris follows quietly, blade held loosely as he looks ahead down to corridor.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

The flames curl and wrap around the light kindling, burning it off with an acrid smell of decay and time, as if the webs themselves had held an essence of something else...but maybe it was the sibilant whispers of this place, finally getting a hold of your sanity?

Shaking off the mental cobwebs, you realize the cleared passage leads down a set of stairs to the green light that has lured you in this far...

A wide stairway descends into an immense domed chamber. Seven short tunnels branch from the room in all directions, extending some thirty feet before ending in rounded walls. At the terminus of each passage, a thick chain dangles from an unseen high ceiling. Five of the chains bear colorful lanterns, but two hold nothing at all. Opposite the entry stairs, a bright green lantern containing what looks like a torch casts a weird, murky light about the room. Countless chips of glass and shiny metal inset into the chambers domed ceiling reflect this light, giving the impression of starlight and falling snow. The Dome starts about ten feet off the ground and reaches an apex about thirty feet over the center of the room.

Below the domes peak, a long dais holds what appears to be a marble sarcophagus. A milky white bas-relief figure, perhaps of a human, rests passively upon the sarcophagus lid. Unlike the rest of the tomb, this room is completely silent.

Spoiler
    Show

7 alcoves, 5 of which have the following colored lanterns that look identical to the one you found:
    (in order from left to right)
    [Missing], Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, [Missing], Violet

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #90

Seramal

"Well then," Seramal says, her brush with death already forgotten, "let's hang these bad girls up and see what treasure unlocks! If you need a light, Astilabor's gotcha covered!"