New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Bel's Age of Worms [IC]

Rose

"Go slow," she says to the eager orc. "Haste has not agreed with you today."

Rose thinks back to the mural and picks out the alcove between the ones holding the blue and violet lamps. "That lantern we found should goes there. And it looks like there's still a red one missing."

"And I doubt the tomb robber we pulled that off of was considerate enough to put the lid back on that sarcophagus after he looted this place. Who wants to lay odds that it's trapped?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Rose will conduct a sweep of the chamber for traps/anything interesting, starting clockwise from the entrance and ending with the sarcophagus. Two checks, first take 10 (total 15) plus the following:
    Alcove at 7:30- (1d20+5)[13]
    Alcove at 9:00- (1d20+5)[14]
    Alcove at 10:30 - (1d20+5)[12]
    Alcove at 12:00 - (1d20+5)[22]
    Alcove at 1:30 - (1d20+5)[18]
    Alcove at 3:00 - (1d20+5)[9]
    Alcove at 4:30 - (1d20+5)[21]
    Sarcophagus - (1d20+5)[15]

Listen: (1d20+7)[14]
    Spot: (1d20+14)[15]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Morris

"I would bet this is a test of wits we're closer to passing than that thief is... I'll help you in the search."

Spoiler: Aid Another
    Show

+2 for every result above 10. Each roll corresponds to Rose's based on order.

(1d20+1)[11]
    (1d20+1)[4]
    (1d20+1)[13]
    (1d20+1)[21]
    (1d20+1)[3]
    (1d20+1)[6]
    (1d20+1)[2]
    (1d20+1)[5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Elira

Elira makes her way across the chamber, keeping a safe distance from the sarcophagus at its center as she moves to examine the shining green lantern. "Could this have been recently lit?" she asks as she attempts to open the lantern and inspect the light source within.

Once she's determined (or at least attempted to determine) whether the light is magical or mundane, Elira carefully removes the indigo lantern from her pack and steps forward to hang it in the alcove between its blue and violet counterparts. After hooking it onto the chain, she holds her hands up on either side of it, looking around as she waits to see if anything happens.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Checks to examine the green lantern:
    Search: (d20+1)[10]
    Spellcraft: (d20+2)[4]
    Knowledge (arcana): (d20+4)[14]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Tobul circles the room, keeping an eye out for anything unusual in the walls, floor or ceiling.

Search (1d20+4)[23]
    Last edited by Debatra; 2017-01-23 at 12:35 AM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

You realize that the green light holds no heat to it, and is in fact, an everburning torch.

A sweep of the alcoves discovers the following things:
    (In order, left to right)
    • The lantern that once hung from the chain at the end of this tunnel is nowhere to be seen. It is likely the lantern you found earlier could be attached to the chain.
    • An orange lantern hangs at the of this passage, the arrow shaped sarcophagi points to this tunnel.
      (directly left)
    • A yellow lantern hangs from the chain at the end of this tunnel.
    • The green lantern with the ever burning torch hangs at the end of this tunnel.
      (Directly opposite the stairs)
    • The ceiling over the blue lantern is much higher than the others, at least ~10 feet or so (the others being ~40 ft), you notice with some careful experimenting with your light source, that there is an opening at the top of the shaft. A skeleton lies in a heap on the floor here as well, a search reveals several crushed bones as if they had died from a large fall.
    • The lantern that once hung from the chain at the end of this tunnel is nowhere to be seen. It is likely the lantern you found earlier could be attached to the chain.
      (Directly right)
    • A violet lantern hangs from the last tunnel at the end of the passage.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-02-01 at 05:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

As you investigate the colorful lanterns, you hear a noise from where you came from, a shuffling, scraping noise.

At first, your instinct is to draw swords, and stand ready, but you quickly realize it is the sound of someone not being overtly sneaky, and when the flickering light of a torch, followed by the owner, your nerves are lessened, as while he does have his weapon drawn, a keen looking long sword, you feel as though he is no threat to you.

(enter Cyrius Thorn)

Spoiler
    Show

Those players who are not with us, are going to fade from existence

DrK, Cyrius has been tasked by Alllustan as his personal bodyguard/man-at-arms, and he thought it wise to have you go check up on the group, having lost sight of them when they entered earlier in the day. (feel free to RP however he became his bodyguard)
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

At the sound Rose looks up from her examination of the sarcophagus. "I don't recall hiring a linkboy," she says. "Who are you and why are you here?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seramal

The half-orc ***** an eyebrow at the newcomer. Unless she was forgetting things in her ripe old age, she'd seen this one back in town.

"Oy, you're one of Allustan's lads, ain'tcha?"

She revels in her butchered common, knowing how much it would exasperate the monks from the orphanage.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

Cyrius, torch in hand walks up the strange tomb corridor. Sword drawn as the strange breezes spooked him he clanked up the corridor wondering why Master Allustan had sent him here.

Seeing others ahead he raised the torch high "Hello. I'm looking for Rose and the others my master Allustan sent this way. It had been more than a day and he grew concerned ".

Coming closer the others can see him more clearly, a bulky bald headed young man garbed in heavy plate with a symbol of Kelemvor and Jergal around his throat.
    Spoiler: picture
    Show

He nods respectfully to each of you. Blessings on you all. I'm Master Thorn, I run errands for Allustan. How have you been faring?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"Then you've succeeded on your quest. Rose Collart. Pleasure. As for how we're fairing, you can tell Allustan that the local sheep may sleep soundly tonight. I don't suppose he told you why he sent us here?"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Rose

"Then you've succeeded on your quest. Rose Collart. Pleasure. As for how we're fairing, you can tell Allustan that the local sheep may sleep soundly tonight. I don't suppose he told you why he sent us here?"
    Cyrius nods. "I'm glad you are the right people. He told me little, I am a bodyguard rather than a confidante. It's not as exciting as I had desired compared to a journeyman year in adventure." Looking about he glances into the darkness ahead. "Would you care for another sword? ".

12. - Top - End - #102

Seramal

Seramal almost laughs, and then she does. This new pup was adorable.

"If it's being held by your strong arm, Master Cyrius, by all means!"

Learning maybe one thing from this jaunt, well-armoured men made the best wolf repellent.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-03-04 at 12:43 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

After inspecting the sarcophagi, you figure out that it not only can be turned, to point to different alcoves, but the lid most assuredly comes off.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #104

Seramal

"Well by Luthic's floppy left... c'mon, Sword Master Cyrius, let's see what will happen if we steer this thing around!"

Seramal begins to push on the stone casket, already forgetting her lesson of caution.

Spoiler: STR Check! Wheeeeeeee!
    Show
    (1d20+1)[10]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"Careful!" Rose had no reason to know if the sarcophagus was trapped or not. She was reasonably sure there was nothing mechanically tied to it, but magic was another matter, and not something in which she was well enough versed. "I have a better idea. Let's take some ropes and wrapped them around this coffin, then if we man them on opposite sides and pull, we can give this thing a good turn from a safe distance."

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength Check for the inevitable Aid Another: (1d20-1)[17]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

The burly grave guard helps Rose as she wraps the rope around the coffin top and then tugs on the rope hard to rotate the stone coffin.

Spoiler: Str check
    Show

(1d20+3)[21]

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

As a team, you manage to move the sacorphagi, at first, it resisted, but at your combined might, it shifted and once it started, was quiet easy to move. There was an audible 'click' as it pointed towards the next tunnel, and then a rumbling of stone upon stone could be heard.

At the end of the tunnel (the one with the yellow lantern), a round piece of the floor raises slowly, a matte metal tube the size of a man appears to rise from underneath, and with a hiss, two doors slide open on either side. From a quick glance, it appears the tube is hollow, and could fit 1 medium creature easily. There is nothing inside it, and no contraption to close the doors are apparent.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"Some kind of lift?" Rose walks over to the tube and slowly paces around the exterior, giving it a careful inspection. "I wonder if there are more in the other alcoves."

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on Search for 15
    Second Search: (1d20+5)[22]

Assuming everything checks out: "Who wants to go first?" she asks, looking at anyone but Seramal.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius looks at the metal tube dubiously. "Looks like a coffin. Shall we move it back and forward to make sure we can bring it up and down before we send anyone down?"

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

You move the sarcophagi back, and the tube lowers, with a grinding reverberating stony noise, back into the ground. Nothing happens when it clicks into place, pointing towards the orange lantern.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

21. - Top - End - #111

Seramal

"Brilliant! See what the other doors do!"

Again not waiting to think it through, the sorceress tries to turn the sarcophagus to the next lantern color.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Next lantern as in next to Orange (violet), or over Yellow and to Green?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose shrugs. Knowing everything about this room first might not be a bad idea. She wasn't much looking forward to going down the strange lift anyway. "Why not?" she asks no one, and helps continue rotating it clockwise.

Spoiler
    Show
    To Yellow, my good man. Then Green, etc., etc. Violet would be the opposite direction we already turned it in.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

The bald cleric pushes and helps lever the coffin spinning it around from lantern to lantern under the strange wizard and Rose's direction.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

You push the sacophagus to yellow once again, and once again the tube rises from the ground, moving on, you move it pointing towards the green lantern, the tube lowering as before, when the arrow platform points to the green lanterns tunnel, a cacophonous creaking of stone against stone emerges from the ground below the green lantern. Anyone standing within the tunnel feels the ground rumble slightly, as if something is about to give way.

The rumbling does not stop.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"Quick, push it back! Before the whole place collapses!"

When (if) the danger has passed, Rose let's out a sigh.

"So, about that tube. I'll go first."

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

It takes a moment, but, as you push it back, the rumbling stops and the arrow points towards the yellow, where the tube rises from the ground.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

Heaving the clerical initiate helps heave the stone back to the previous one, breathing a heavy sign of relief as the rumbling fades. Looing at it he looks again at Rose. "Are you sure you want to go first? I can if you'd like?" If not he walks over to the tube and looks at it gauging if it could be sized to fit two people in it. "We could go down together if you'd like?" though the words are tinged with nerves as he pats the weapons at his side for comfort

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose slips a wire-cutter out of her kit and juggles it seemingly absentmindedly. "This is a tomb, mate. Built to keep people out. Think about what devilish contraptions the ones who made this"--she strikes the tube with the side of her fist--"could put their minds to to make sure what's buried here stays buried. That's what we have to worry about here.

"Now, if you're handy with one of these," she holds up the cutter and twirls it between her fingers, "then by all means. Otherwise, your strong back will be appreciated at the sarcophagus if there are beasties at the other end and no other way to send this up."

Rose walks towards the tube's entrance. "Keep an ear to the ground. If you hear anything, that'll be me shouting for you to bring me back. Otherwise, give me two minutes to find some controls."

Spoiler
    Show
    Two minutes just so happens to be enough time to take 20: Search 25
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2017-03-28 at 03:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Rose enters the tube with slow trepidation, and her mouth opens, about to crack another joke, just as the tube's doors slide shut with a hiss, and the whole thing drops down, and instead of the floor staying level, as before, you now see a stone tube and the top of the chamber holding rose steadily diminishing in the light.

--ʕ*ʔ--

Rose

The walls here are covered in bas-relief images similar to the slender figure upon the sarcophagus lid in the chamber above. Nearly a dozen androgynous, hairless humanoids stand in poses of deference, almost as if they are paying homage to the viewer. Many extend their hands in adoration, their faces awash in adulation. Several of the statues lack hands, arms, heads, or anything else easily hacked off by long absent tomb robbers.

About fifteen feet to the south, a dark passage extends from an elaborately carved arch. Only a little of this hallways is visible, however, as a large stone block obscures most of the passage.

Spoiler
    Show

different things happen, depending on if Rose steps out or not.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A