New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bel's Age of Worms [IC]

Casper

Casper awkwardly gets out of the cramped elevator tube, having had to wedge himself around his longspear to make it fit.

"Hello, I'm Casper. I heard there were some monsters here and that you guys needed help, and.... wellitsnotlikeIhadanythingelsetodo."

He walks into the room, looking around at the strange statues. "What is this place? Some ancient temple? Those statues don't look like any people I've ever seen."

Spoiler
    Show

K: Planes (1d20+1)[13]
    K: Dungeoneering (1d20+1)[17]
    K: Psionics (1d20+5)[19]
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"Hello everyone, I'm Narl. Glad to see you're alright and that you've made good progress. Could you fill us in on what you've learned about this place so far? I too studied arcane matters in Waterdeep for a while," he says with a nod in Fenton's direction. "Perhaps I could be of assistance in deciphering some of the cairn's mysteries?"

When Seramal asks about the wands, Narl smiles and replies: "I believe I could make use of the servant-conjuring wand, but these are your group's finds. No need to share them if you can activate them yourself. And besides, we'll all benefit from them as long as we stick together."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

At Narl's offer to understand the cairn, Rose chimes in. "This is as good a place as any to start. Take this symbol here," Rose steps back from the amulet carved into the wall after giving it a careful examination, "I've never seen its like before. Not that I ever had much of a chance to learn such things. Maybe you came across it in your academy studies.

"You've seen those statues, and you've seen the chamber above. You may have seen the mural showing every lantern in that place lit up, and you may have noticed one of the lanterns is missing. A deep, almost purple blue one. That is what I am on the hunt for, though you may find something more pressing. Regardless, this place has claimed the lives of at least two before we arrived, and it has nearly robbed us of the company of Seramal twice.

"Oh, and there was an old, broken mirror back by the entrance that had something to do with transportation magic. We have what few shards of glass remained, as well as a nice elven armband, though I do not think it related."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

The Dwarf speaks absently as she examines the newfound armor in comparison to her own. "Call me Tobul, or 'Captain Amshem' if you're more of a military mindset." She holds up the chain to the group at large. "Does anyone else need this? My own armor is about as good, but only when I move a certain way. But I've gotten good at moving like that, so it would be better to upgrade someone else's equipment than to just give me a little more consistency."
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

The young man grins as the others unearth the crushed thief. "I leave for a few minutes to get some friends and you unearth a treasure Rose. Well done." Looking around downstairs he wonders, "If wecare finished in this chamber shall we try another? With the 7 lanterns there could be 7 more vaults like this one! "
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

After thoroughly searching the room, you find some interesting things; The stone slab has a thin sheet of air which pushes your hand or any other instrument up with a strong current.

Anyone attempting to move onto it, finds it comfortably buoys a medium sized creature on a bed of air.

The rest of the room comes up empty, and has been long since ransacked.

Searching around the column, you see a dry fountain along the south face of the central pillar, featuring a low basin and a wall spigot about 8 feet high, looking like a shower. Opposite the dry fountain is a door.

Spoiler: Rose SOP
    Show

Search - (1d20+8)[28]
    Listen - (1d20+7)[17]

Rose is very confident that it is not trapped or locked. Opening it, she finds what seems to be an austere lavatory.

The mold blocks the way to the next room.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-06-03 at 11:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    At Narl's offer to understand the cairn, Rose chimes in. "This is as good a place as any to start. Take this symbol here," Rose steps back from the amulet carved into the wall after giving it a careful examination, "I've never seen its like before. Not that I ever had much of a chance to learn such things. Maybe you came across it in your academy studies.

"You've seen those statues, and you've seen the chamber above. You may have seen the mural showing every lantern in that place lit up, and you may have noticed one of the lanterns is missing. A deep, almost purple blue one. That is what I am on the hunt for, though you may find something more pressing. Regardless, this place has claimed the lives of at least two before we arrived, and it has nearly robbed us of the company of Seramal twice.

"Oh, and there was an old, broken mirror back by the entrance that had something to do with transportation magic. We have what few shards of glass remained, as well as a nice elven armband, though I do not think it related."
    "Well, you've certainly been busy," Narl replies with a disarming smile. "I'm afraid that we didn't stop to admire much of the cairn on the way in, but the mural and that mirror do sound most interesting. I'll be happy to give them a look once we've finished here. No doubt Fenton will grant us the benefit of his knowledge of arcane matters as well. Which reminds me - does anyone know what that horrific brown mess is?" Narl asks, pointing his flail at the brown mold infesting the other half of the main room. "But anyway, let's have a look at that symbol..."

Spoiler: Testing Knowledge (arcana)
    Show
    Taking 10 if possible = 17
    (1d20+7)[26]
    Last edited by rax; 2017-06-10 at 12:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

"I still think I'd prefer a ditch outside," she says after examining the state of the facilities. The last thing she wants is to be caught with her pants down in this place.

"I believe you are right to distrust anything that grows on these walls. Every living thing here so far has shown a hatred of life; there's no reason that should be any different. Still, there may be someone who can tell us about it back in town, and there is no pressing need to wade through it today. When you are ready, head back to the lift and I will collect a sample."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rose will take 20 on the Wisdom check to mould the three pounds of shapesand into something like a 10'-long spoon and, holding her breath, collect a small amount of the mold and seal it in the empty vial left over from the potion of lesser vigor, then she'll take 20 to return the shapesand to the gauntlets and pair of daggers
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2017-06-04 at 09:47 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

"Hold a moment before you do that, and let me have a look. I know a bit about plants, though I'm not exactly a scholar." That said, the Dwarf will take a few steps forward for a better look at the mold and sludge.

K: Nature (Mold) (1d20+3)[16]
    K: Nature (Sludge) (1d20+3)[10]

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fenton joins Narl to look at the carving with the amulet.

"Hmm...very interesting. I did study arcane symbololog..symbolligy...I did study the lore of arcane symbols a LOT in Waterdeep. I just need to search my memory...let's see... an arrow... points the way, so... this means the man was a seeker of something...knowledge... or magic... or disciples...or... " he brightens "...treasure"?

He looks over the rest of the figure, in all his apparent godhood. There is a strange longing in his eyes.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bluff check to sound like he has any clue what he's talking about: (1d20+9)[26]

Generic intelligence check, because no actual knowledge skills: (1d20+1)[4]

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: knowledge checks
    Show

No one is able to recall anything regarding the cairn, or any of the symbols in it.

Rose attempts to shape her sand, which she does. Holds the makeshift long-spoon out to scoop some of the mold, which she does, it feels like a jelly or mouse you've had before at the amazing festivals they hold every winter moon to celebrate the harvest. However it smells of sour eggs, and the scooping of it, has seemingly disturbed it, sending the smell into the entire area, and spreading.

Making a sour face, she brings the spoon back, and suddenly, Tobul and Rose feel an intense coldness. Both take NonLethalCold - (3d6)[15] damage.

Spoiler
    Show

Link
    What is everyone using for illumination, I know Rose is holding a sunrod
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-06-09 at 05:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

At the surge of cold Rose shivers and inhales sharply. She tries to jump back, but numbness takes her limbs. She is unconscious before her body hits the ground.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

One hand trying to cover her face; Tobul will attempt to grab Rose and drag her back towards the group, leaving the mold behind.

Show

14. - Top - End - #194

As he sees Rose collapse and feels the air near the mold getting colder, Fenton tries to force himself closer despite the spreading chill.

Through chattering teeth, he utters:

"St..stand...back...I can...handle...this...I...think..."

He inhales deeply and flames suddenly appear in his mouth. Exhaling again, he releases a jet of flame directed towards the patch of icy mold, hoping to burn some of it away.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Fenton tries to get within range to use his Fire Breath ability (20 ft. line).
    Assuming he doesn't collapse from the cold first, of course:

Damage (fire): (2d6)[4]
    Reflex DC: 15 for half.

He uses Darkvision to see, doesn't carry any light.
    Last edited by Corlindale; 2017-06-09 at 11:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

Disappointed by his failure to decipher the symbols, Narl emerges from the living quarters just in time to see Rose collapse and Fenton unleash his flaming breath.

OOC: Just so it's clear when Narl turns up in the main room.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seramal

"Graz'zt's bright blue...! Hold on Rosey!" Seramal brandishes the unseen servant wand at the brown sludge.

"Sweep away that... stuff!" she commands the invisible construct.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

Hearing a commotion and holding his gently splashing hearthfire lantern, the cube of gel spreading a cold green light in some 20ft he hears the thud of a falling body and the commotion ahead. He clunks in his plate up the corridor before spying the commotion. "What has happened here. Why is Rose unconcious." He looks at the others. "Help me get her to the doorway where things seem safe." Laying down the cool lantern he drags her (with help I hope) across the room before placing his hand upon her head. "The dead lie easy little sister, you are not yet ready for them" and a soft glow surrounds her. Her body revitalising.

Spoiler: Lesser vigour
    Show

Cast lesser vigour on Rose. 11 hps over 11 rounds

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

As Rose drops to the floor from a sudden onset of 0 energy, Tobul, and a fast moving Cyrius manage to move her away, once situated, Cyrius lays hands on her, and her eyes pop open as she feels warm powerful positive energy soothing throughout her body, erasing the sudden fatigue that bought her low.

As this happens, a stalwart, and earnest Fenton moves forward, intent on quelling the mold-or-whatever-it-is with a breath of his fire!
    He takes NonLethalCold - (3d6)[4] damage as his breath scorches the mold, and for an instant, you feel cold jubilation at what must be a good idea at work.

But then the Mold erupts, almost springing forth, surging with growth from the flame. It must feed off the heat! The mold has literally doubled in size!

Seramel summons a servant, which obediently starts sweeping it away, but is only able to move a small portion as the mass erupts in growth!

Spoiler
    Show

Unseen servant 2/6 hp's

Link

I moved some of you, as most of you did not pay attention :P
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-06-19 at 11:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

Casper figures out what's going on and starts shouting. "No, no, no fire! Keep away from it and kill it with cold! Snow, ice, doesn't matter, just hit it with something chilly!"

Spoiler
    Show

No action...yet. If nobody has cold damage, I'll enlarge and engage with my longspear.
    Campaign Logs:

20. - Top - End - #200

Seramal

"Ooooh! I have a cold thing! Look!

The sorceress reaches into her pack and proudly brandishes a flask of alchemist's frost.

"How does it work?"
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"I believe you just throw it at the mold, mistress Seramal. The flask breaks and the contents do the rest. Though I think it's best if everyone stands back a bit before you throw it. You know, just in case Casper's mistaken," Narl replies with a smile and a wink at Casper.

22. - Top - End - #202

Fenton stares at the expanding mold in disbelief: "That...that should have worked! This place makes no sense!"

Before his indignation takes complete control, he suddenly realizes how dangerous it is to stand right in the middle of this expanding mass - and he moves as far away as possible.
    Last edited by Corlindale; 2017-06-20 at 03:09 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Presently lacking a way to chill the thing, Tobul simply interposes herself between the mold and her allies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Total Defense, declare dodge vs mold, AC 26, Touch 19.

Ready to 5' step, either to block something headed for an ally, or to back away if it continues to grow.

Show

24. - Top - End - #204

Seramal

With a deep breath, Seramal walks towards the mold, closes her eyes, and tosses the flask of alchemical coldness at the brown... stuff.

Spoiler: I am not in my element here!
    Show
    (1d20+3)[4] ranged touch splash weapon.

If a miss (1d8)[3]

"Ah Sorrysorrysorrysorry!"
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-06-20 at 01:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose's breath is visible through her shivering lips as she weakly pulls herself up.

"Th-thank-k yu-u-uo," she says to Cyrius, huddled over and waiting for the warmth to return to her limbs. "Th-th-ough if-f yo-ou wou-uld-dn't m-m-m-mind," she looks at Casper, "next t-time say-y s-s-s-ome-thing be-f-fore I poh-ke at it."

She extends her hand, still gripping the vial she had earlier. "S-s-eramal, c-can you g-get that s-s-servant to put-t s-some of that in th-this. C-could b-be usef-ful."

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

The initiate pats Rose on the shoulder before helping her to her feet. "No problems. I know you would do the same for should I fall." then looking at the spreading mould he shrugs. "If we throw some light into that room we can see if it it looks interesting. If it doesn'tr shall we leave this horrible fungus and head back upstairs and try and different elevator?". He looks at Rose, "I do not want us to fall pray to a mere mould."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Seramel goes to throw the flask, but trips at the same time, sending herself, and the flask forward!

She slams against the cold stony floor as the flask splashes right before her, hitting the mold as well as herself.

The Mold instantly shrivels up and dies, sucking inwards like an explosion in reverse, it eventually crisps to a small black powder and puffs out of existence, this is like a chain reaction, as the mold dies off foot by foot, leaving a thin film of powder, which the unseen servant dutifully cleans up.

Looking into the last room, you see the ceiling of this large chamber, which glows with what looks like natural sunlight, illuminating a series of worktables, vises, spinning wheels, and blocks of unfinished marble that identify the room as a sculptors workshop. A huge unfinished statue of an imposing bare-chested warrior wielding a staff-like rod in its left hand dominates the north wall. The hairless figure looks similar to the bas-relief on the the sarcophagus upstairs, but is clearly meant to be a different person. A short red metal pedestal against the south wall displays what appears to be a jet-black stone egg the size of a small boulder. A gold glyph - an equilateral triangle with short hash marks through each leg - marks the face of this egg.

Anyone looking at the rod can see it has had six grooves cut into it, suggesting seven parts, other than that it is a good looking stave that could be used as a quarterstaff.

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 23
    Show

The ceiling has a permanent Daylight spell affect upon it.

Spoiler: knowledge the planes
    Show

Spoiler: DC 15
    Show

You identify the gold symbol upon the ebon egg as the personal device of Ogrémoch, a legendary elemental prince of evil.

Spoiler: DC 20
    Show

You identify the gold symbol upon the ebon egg as the personal device of Ogrémoch, a legendary elemental prince of evil.

Ogrémoch and a legion of lesser earth elementals were said to have served on the side of the Queen of Chaos at the great final battle at Pesh that ended a primordial war between Chaos and Law

A sudden rush of information comes to those who have ranks of Arcana or history regarding the glyphs you have been seeing, which had been nagging you in the back of your mind.
    Spoiler: knowledge arcana or history
    Show

Spoiler: DC 10
    Show

The glyphs don't seem to be formed from a common alphabet, although they are reminiscent of arcane symbols representing elemental air.

Spoiler: DC 15
    Show

The glyphs don't seem to be formed from a common alphabet, although they are reminiscent of arcane symbols representing elemental air.

They represent names, with each referring to a single individual. The glyph on the arcane apparatus at area 2 probably represents the seal of the most important or highest-ranking of the three found in the Whispering Cairn. The glyph on the sarcohpagi is the lowest-ranking of the three.

Spoiler: DC 20
    Show

They represent names, with each referring to a single individual. The glyph on the arcane apparatus at area 2 probably represents the seal of the most important or highest-ranking of the three found in the Whispering Cairn. The glyph on the sarcohpagi is the lowest-ranking of the three.

The letter forms look similar to an ancient glyph-language called Vaati, which some unorthodox scholars consider the original written form of Auran.

Spoiler: DC 25
    Show

The letter forms look similar to an ancient glyph-language called Vaati, which some unorthodox scholars consider the original written form of Auran.

Vaati is an Auran word meaning "Wind Duke", and refers tot eh legendary Wind Dukes of Aaqa who forged the Rod of Seven Parts. A book called the Chronicle of Chain, falsely attributed to a princess of elemental air, records a full roster of the Wind Dukes present at the Battle of Pesh and a general record of what took place there.

A comprehend languages spell might reveal the personal glyph-names.
    Spoiler: Comprehend languages
    Show

Glyph on the Sarcohpagi = the Hero Zosiel
    Glyph on the Base of the apparatus in area 2 = the General Icosiol
    Glyph found throughout = Architect Nadroc

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Casper

"That was...exciting. I wonder where it came from?"

He walks into the room, looking around at the shiny things and statutes, but is careful to not touch anything. "This doesn't look like the writing I learned when I was eight."
    Campaign Logs:

29. - Top - End - #209

Seramal

"Wow, lookit the magic light!" Seramal sagely advises.

She looks at the images and chortles at their hairless composition.

"I dated a gnome once who insisted on shaving all his hair off. Very flexible..."

She looks around.

Spoiler: Search
    Show
    (1d20)[12]
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2017-07-20 at 05:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

The only thing you find is the ebon egg on the pedestal, and the stave in the statues hands.

After looking around, you can surmise that the brown mold came from a basin on the side of center pillar, in the antechamber. It looks as if it provides some kind of orange goop, further investigation reveals it to have the same consistency of porridge, or thick gravy. It seems to have been what the mold had been feeding off.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A