New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

[Morning Service]

Ven walks into the sanctuary planning on spending some time in the garden before work. She has come here before enjoying sitting quietly by herself in the gardens. Occasionally humming low note normally impossible for humans to hear, though I am not sure about foxes range of hearing. She often goes through a series of meditative exercises from when she was a priestess herself.

She normally times her visits when there aren't services being held so not to disturb the people who actually worship Inari. So the green skinned woman is checking her watch when she comes in wondering if she somehow has the wrong time.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Sheep Moon]

"Visible light is pointless?"
    Admittedly, it's a pretty narrow band, but it's used for a lot of things!

With the skeletons cleared out, Plum follows in, looking around this level. Nai takes the stairs up two at a time.

"Perhaps you should keep a closer watch on them. Or they're just dumb. There's a reason we don't bother with anything like that."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

Bathhouse

"Wait, so you went around in undies? Geez, guess you're furry but still. " Sam's not really sure how sunburns work. He certainly hasn't had to worry about it...
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #304
    Pixie in the Playground

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick chuckles

Well... that concept doesn't really apply: we pretty much never wear more than one layer of clothing. And we tried to never go out into direct sunlight to begin with: that's a fast way to die no matter what clothing you might have.

I grew up in a little village on the edge of the biggest desert in the world: the hottest summer day I've seen here in Inside is like a mild Spring morning back home. We didn't go outside between just before noon and just before sunset for nearly half of the year.

[Sheep Moon]

Calicyra chuckles

Visible light carries too little energy to be truly useful. Upper-band infrared is more readily absorbed and converted to heat by organic matter: I use the visible light spectrum mostly for show. The ultraviolet bands and beyond which would actually damage her eyesight is generally pointless against undead: they do not employ the cellular mechanisms or depend upon genetic material that those energies would disrupt.

Krystal grumbles, still blinking at the spots

It still sucks

Up the stairs! Lots of stairs, 'round and 'round, around a solid central column. Standard strange wizard construction that sacrifices a good deal of material for no immediately useful purpose other than elevation.

Outside, Anraja nods

Oh yes, quite unintelligent: only just barely able to gather the resources we need them to collect. But they are inexpensive, durable, and low-maintenance, and their lack of intelligence makes them easy to control... Zerglings, for instance, would be able to reduce a crystal deposit to rubble faster, but they would rapidly become bored and wander off - and the would never bring the mined materials back to the hive cluster.

[Morning Services]

(( The Vulpans can hear frequencies quite a lot higher than humans: 50 - 55 kHz (humans top out at around 23 kHz), but for lower frequencies they do not hear nearly as well, "bottoming out" at around 120 Hz. The humming will be inaudible to them. ))

Caroline looks up with a bright smile, her ears perking up

Greetings, neighbor: the blessings of Inari be upon you. What can we do for you today?

5. - Top - End - #305

Default [Sheep Moon]

Nai frowns. They don't think that's how light works. But Calicyra would probably know better. "Okay. Perhaps don't blind your allies just for show?" she suggests.

Up they go! Elevation is its own reward.

Outside, a smile.
    "Makes some sense. We aren't a big enough operation to specialize anything so much."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

"Sheesh. Constant sun problems, arranged marriages, and not enough food for you to understand what fat is. Your place sounds...not bad, but odd. I'd still take it over skyside." Sam admits.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ven smiles back giving a slight bow of greeting. "Thank you. I was going to meditate in your garden. I didn't sleep much last night, and it seemed unlikely I would get much this morning before work. So I had thought I would come and try and clear my mind of my worries before I head into work."

The young woman does look tired, though it may be harder to tell than with races more common. One of the main signs tends to be a slight dulling of the green tone of her skin. Another the veins in her air sacks on her neck become visible, sort of like a bloodshot eye. The latter being covered by the long scarf she has wrapped around her delicate neck.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

8. - Top - End - #308
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Morning Service]

Caroline sighs and looks somewhat dejected: that was not at all what she had in mind.

Let us say "the blessings of Inari" when presenting the elements: going up to a visitor in silence leaves them confused.

Felina shakes her head

Let's also wait to see if they're actually here for something besides cola! And on that note: can we get this thing out of the sanctuary? I'm all for tradition, but times have changed since Fenric built this place. Let's put it over by the guest quarters. If someone walks all the way here just for their morning beverage, another hundred yards aren't going to kill them.

Caroline looks uncertain

Perhaps...
    Genji's ears fold down, embarrassed at having forgotten such an important part of the morning service. "Err... if you don't mind, why not put the vending machine in the cafeteria? Sure, it'd be competing with the beverages we already serve on a nightly basis, but if people enjoy it with their meals that much, then it's worth a shot...?" His tail twitches nervously, looking from Felina to Caroline and praying to Inari that they don't bite his head off at the neck...

Noticing their guest, he hurries over to her with his fellow acolyte Hatsu, "Blessing of Inari be upon you..." He murmurs, offering a rice-ball to Ven.
    Last edited by deleteman900; 2017-01-21 at 10:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sheep Moon]

Krystal grumbles, and Calicyra snorts

Fine, fine.

Up to another landing and two more skeletons! These have a palpable aura about them and seem better preserved. Krystal frowns

These are a little different than I'm used to seeing.

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick chuckles at the litany of "problems" that he only saw as "just the way things are". But...

Wow... Skyside sounds pretty bad! What was it like?

[Morning Service]

Felina nods to Genji as Caroline continues to look uncertain about rearranging the traditional arrangement of appliances. Neither seems particularly annoyed, at any rate.

Caroline smiles at Ven

I am sorry to hear that. And certainly: the garden is a wonderful place for meditation. Welcome!

Then Genji comes up with the service tray, and Caroline's smile broadens just a bit.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Service]

Ven takes the rice ball with a small bow. "Thank you, um and thank Inari. She says first to Genji, then to the alter and if I remember right the statue of Inari. She will also accept the sake with similar thanks.

Then turning back to Caroline. "They really are. They remind me of some of the nicer temples back home. My home world that is, I am an offworlder."
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

"It was bad. Can that be enough?" Sam says, suddenly quiet and staring intently downward.

12. - Top - End - #312

Default [Sheep Moon]

"What's different about them?" Is it the lack of skeletal tails?

Nai directs Calicyra to the skeleton on the right while gilding along, barely touching the landing, to launch a kick at the other one.

[Sanctuary?]

Just after the cancelled morning service, as people are going this way and that, a low-ranking* priestess of Inari goes up to Steven.

"Um, Senior Priest, sir, could I speak with you?"

*Presumably, though exactly where is a fair question. Moving up from Acolyte to Novice is not difficult, and one might expect Bloom to have been promoted based on magical ability alone. But these things don't always go as we expect.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-27 at 12:39 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Steven is moving to his dorms for bed but he stops and does his best to hide his exhaustion.
    "Good morning, Bloom. What can I do for you?" he asks her.

14. - Top - End - #314

Default [Sanctuary]

"Well, I was hoping you could explain something I'd been wondering about. Apparently, before I joined, it was suggested to the queen that it might be better if I joined Tamamo's priesthood. But she insisted, because of the rice. What would make someone suitable to one or the other?"

Bloom smiles at the poor tired fox, not noticing any exhaustion.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

"I mean...we don't not have rice. In theory Inari has rice more than Tamamo does just because rice doesn't grow as much at night. Really, it's mostly a difference in outlook. We in Tamamo's faith cover the nogitsune, the were-foxes. We open our doors to more people that are less...or rather, more free-spirited maybe, is the better word? The nogitsune can be a bit more pernicious, if I'm being frank. They'd probably be insulted if I said otherwise. In a sense, it comes down to there being a slightly different, less strict structure under Tamamo. A little more spontenaity. And also it's for folks who are normally up at three in the morning and asleep at six. " he explains. Sometime I want to say strong words at Keiko. he grumbles.

16. - Top - End - #316

Bloom listens intently, a little concerned by his description of the nogitsune. She speaks up suddenly at the end.

"Oh, I don't mean to keep you awake, sir. Thank you for the explanation. I hadn't realized they were so alike."
    It all makes sense. Tamamo is basically the moon. She can understand that.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

"Oh no problem at all, Bloom. I won't be asleep for a while anyway. Come to me any time you like." the priest says genially.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Pixie in the Playground

(( Busy week both at work and in personal life: sorry for the delay ))

[Morning Service]

Caroline laughs lightly

This isn't my home, either, so I know what you mean. Where are you from, if you don't mind my asking?

[Sheep Moon]

Calicyra's blazing light illuminates the skeleton brightly, highlighting a protective field encasing each bone but doing essentially nothing

Gah! These are protected more thoroughly than the last pair.

Nai's foot finds a similarly solid and unyielding protection. Worse, contact with the skeleton tugs at Nai's life force: seeking to drain a bit of it away.

Krystal begins preparing a spell herself

Great... more augmented undead. You forgot to mention that this wizard was a necromancer, you miserable hunk of glass.

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick's ears fold down in embarrassment

Oh... sorry. Sure, that's fine.

he fishes for a new topic

You mentioned you were a chef? What sorts of things do you usually cook?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-28 at 11:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #319

smile [Sheep Moon]

((No problem))

Ugh. That feels terrible, having a bit of life slip away. Left cold and weak.

"Cover your ears." Plum warns. That might be less helpful to a werefox than to a humanoid with their little round ears, but it gives some idea of what to expect.

Nai backs away, holding up Calicyra to ward the skeletons away - he doesn't even have a life force. Right? Probably?
    Then she snaps her fingers (of the other hand), magically boosting the sound into a coherent wave hopefully capable of Shattering some dusty old bones.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

"Oh, fancy stuff. Soup with garnishes, steaks, and lots of things that I could probably eat in two bites. I don't get what's with fancy places having such tiny portions. Know how to cook pork too, which is kind of screwed up. Maybe they found out I didn't start as this. Or they just don't care. Kinda creepy though." he says with a shrug. He tries not to let it bother him.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [Morning Service]

"Well it is a little complicated. I was born on a planet called Mexta, but I was raised on a different planet called Ranyal. Those are both Ranyalian names though. My races language is rather complex. So it is usually easier to use those those. In my language our planet was called." Here she produces a series of overlapping sounds, a cross of frogs croaking, water hitting the shore and something that sounds elvish. It almost sounds like 3 people talking at once.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

A new person enters! This visitor is...strange. Namely, she's something like a centaur, with the upper body of a woman in her 30's, somewhat soft but with a solid frame and still with curves to turn some heads, and the lower body and ears of, well, a very healthy looking dairy cow. She's wearing a blouse seemingly made of rimed frost that constantly shifts when you look away. She seems a bit nervous.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Pixie in the Playground

[Wizard's Tower]

The shatter is effective: taking the skeleton's right arm entirely away with a good number of ribs on the left side. The skeleton...

doesn't seem to notice, and leaps at Nai with no further aim than to touch!

Calicyra indeed has no life energy any longer: thrice ten thousand years have passed since he walked as a living mortal. Nevertheless, he is not pleased with the current events

Oi! You oaf! You dodge like an elementary schoolgirl! The head: aim for the head! I have more frequencies available than I have used so far: I control ALL LIGHT!

Krystal's spell is shattered by the noise and she clamps her hands to her ears and hunkers down on the ground.

Outside, Anraja looks up

What a peculiar sound... I do wonder what goes on inside. Perhaps it is time to spawn a larva to extend our sensory range?

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick licks his lips

That sounds really good! And I know what you mean: at our main welcome dinner, I got two pieces of rice with a tiny scrap of some weird meat on top.

Kitnick sadly doesn't realize that exquisite welcome sushi was fatty toro, worth a bit over what he is paid each month... per piece.

[Morning Service]

Caroline nods

Yes, that is quite familiar. I came from the world of

and if you haven't gone to YouTube and heard what a fox sounds like, then you can't imagine what the name is. But take a happy and comfortable fox's squeaks, and overlay them with Antares AutoTune as if someone was trying to make it sound like speech, and you'd have a good notion.

But the wood-elves lived to the south of us, and a fair number of our relatives use their language.

so clearly there was something in the mix that seemed familiar

[Sanctuary]

Caroline is still here. Somewhat despondent at the failure of all of her plans, but resolute that she would not let either the people of the Nexus nor her Goddess down

Greetings, neighbor: the blessings of Inari be upon you. What can we do for you today?

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

"Oh, sushi? I've never had it before, much less made it. Fish aren't a huge thing in Riverside since we only have fish from the rivers nearby. I'll look into it, but I don't know if I'll ever figure out how to eat things with sticks." Sam admits, though genuinely interested.

Sanctuary

Winry flinches. As the Mother in Winter, she has a knack for sensing children and mothers and in such a populated area that sense is nearly screaming at her. At least Caroline counts as neither of those things.
    "Yes, uh, I'm sort of a new goddess and stuff so I, uh, wanted to get some advice on that...sort of thing. I had heard that your Lady has stopped in from time to time so I thought I'd uh, try to get some advice? She has crops I hear." Winry says slowly, not making eye contact.

25. - Top - End - #325

Default [Wizard's Tower]

"Then use them!"
    Nai swings the ornery artifact towards the head of the leaping skeleton, but that's still a lot of bones to keep off - another chunk of life energy slips away.

Outside, a shake aof the head 'no'.
    "We have plenty of sense there. They've destroyed two undead guards, and encountered a stronger pair on the next level up. It's inflicted some moderate damage on one of us, and vice versa. Our coordination with Krystal and Calicyra is notably poor, but we should get through all the same."
    "Maybe there's something else you could do that would be useful, in the meantime?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Service]

"Yeah thankfully Ranyalian has some commonalities with common here. I can mimic languages fine, but I am not that great at learning them. I think three is my limit for languages." She mimics Caroline's pronunciation of her home world. Her mimicking of Caroline is spot on, her voice matching nearly exactly.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?

27. - Top - End - #327
    Pixie in the Playground

[Morning Service]

Caroline nods

Surprisingly well done: most people without muzzles find the word difficult to pronounce. It is fascinating how many different places people come from, so much variety.

[Wizard's Tower]

Krystal has just regained her feet when Calicyra launches a withering blast of far less mundane light: bathing the skeleton in a mix of devastating Radiance and Chaos that rips through the shielding and burns the necromantic spells that power the skeleton away. Even the reflected light from that display is quite unpleasant to the shadowy vixen, and Krystal drops to the ground in a quivering heap.

Outside, Anraja looks around thoughtfully

Our surveys of this moon turned up remarkably little: it is a misshapen lump of low-density silicate rock... but I could plant a creep colony and see how well it fares here inside this artificial area.

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick shakes his head

I completely gave up on the sticks and just used my fingers. I dunno how much of a hurry I'd be in to eat it again, to be honest: it was way too bland... but the green paste they served it with was pretty tasty.

[Sanctuary]

Caroline nods, genuinely interested

Oh my! We have had several people stop by for advice like that, yes, and both Inari and Tamamo have come to chat from time to time. And as far as crops go, Inari is the goddess of rice: that is actually her main portfolio. We're more of a side venture, you might say.

28. - Top - End - #328

Default [Wizard's Tower]

"How does that second part qualify as light?"Nai complains.
    There was another one further back, yes? She tries shattering the thing, specifically focusing the vibrations on the skull this time.

Plum does her best to catch Kyrstal.
    "Are you okay?"
    It wasn't that bright, was it?

"True. The moon's utility is its combination of proximity to the planet and lack of reasons for visitors to arrive. Try it."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

"Yeah, I gotcha. So...how long do you want to stay here? I think you're not supposed to stay in these things for too long or something. " Sam asks, not really sure what he's talking about.

Sanctuary

"Oh dear, don't sell yourself short. You're lovely. Now I don't know if I can over you and your Ladies more than help with snow and needy babes and the critters in your stable, but I wouldn't ask for their help for nothing. They just have to say the word." Winry insists.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Service]

"Thanks I've had a lot of training with my voice. I'd be a little surprised if there was a language around here I couldn't mimic." Ven's race has a incredibly complex series of organs that acts like vocal cords. "I know, that was one of the reasons I moved here. So many interesting people coming together. The whole culture here is amazing."
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    to?