New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [To the Moon!]

"Hmm. humor really doesn't translate, does it, Calicyra?"

Soft warm carpet! They mostly do settle into the seats, happy with the excessive comfortableness of the place.

"So the moon just...no one has much of an interest in it?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

Front Gate

Sam nods.
    "Well, okay. Thanks. You have a good one." he says, trundling off as instructed. Were there really that many foxes with that name? Seems pretty odd.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

[Gardens]

"Well, I'm just a worshipper. I'd make a singularly poor priest," Batu says. Then his ears twitch. "Yes, foxes do shed coats with the seasons turning, don't they? It'd make sense that fox-people would too. There was always cleaning to do when the boars back home did that."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

[To the Moon!]

Or you are not as amusing as you seem to think yourself.

Oi! Such a sourpuss!

Krystal settles in herself, and nods

The small moon is just a lump of rock with no minerals worth mentioning, and it's too crumbly and rough and gets hit by meteors far too often to be any use for any sort of base... Especially not with two other moons to use that are much more reasonable. Even the Zerg skipped it, and that's saying something.

The shuttle lifts smoothly and quietly off and accelerates upwards and forwards at a lazy pace

[To the Garden.]

The trees stop rather abruptly at the end of the arboretum, highlighting the artificial nature of the place. Sam walks along a carefully trimmed grassy path: to the left is the solid outer wall of the temple complex while to the right the pond stretches serenely, sparkling in the sunlight. The island with its tree is still quite inviting even here on the "back", and the little-known though hardly secret maintenance bridge of stepping stones barely breaks the surface of the water.

Ahead, the low square shape of a building can be seen: a thick door of polished steel stands open but inside is too dark to see any details. Voices can be heard beyond, though too far yet to make out words.

[Gardens]

Tirigan nods again, her ears going back up to normal

Yes, that's right! And I really shouldn't complain: in a couple more weeks my coat will be pure snowy-white. It's always my favorite time.

then she tilts her head in the endearing manner of a mildly confused canid, ears to the sides and tail waving slightly

What's a boar?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

[Gardens]

Batu frowns a little; his own ears perk up in confusion. How could anyone not know what a boar is?

"They're... big animals, covered in bristle, with large snouts and sharp tusks. Most of them aren't big enough to ride. We breed them special for that."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #66

Default [To the Moon!]

Aww, what a cute little evil artifact. So grumpy, so small.

"So all it's good for is being out of the way."
    "Has anyone ever considered fixing up the place?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Garden

Sam does stop to admire the scenery, but he's seen gardens before, and so for now he's more curious about the folk here. He moves up a bit to try to eavesdrop just a little with his big ears.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

[To the Moon!]

Krystal shrugs

I suppose... but why? It's a gravitational effect from the other two moons that directs meteors to hit it, so we'd have to find somewhere else for them to go; and it's not like we really need the space. Seems like it'd be a lot of work for not much benefit.

With your spacecraft and existing resources, why do you allow meteors to get within range of hitting your world at all? Surely you'd be better off intercepting them: valuable ones can be collected and rocky ones pulverized into harmless dust long before it became an issue.

Krystal blinks

[Gardens]

Someone who grew up in the arctic, of course! :D

Tirigan listens with big eyes

Those sound as scary as a snow-bear! And you ride them? Wow...

she's clearly quite impressed

[Vegatable Garden]

Past the small building Sam encounters a decently sized plot of land which has been carefully cultivated, with a number of people out working among the plants. Several of them are the small, tan-furred Fenethi, and it is very likely that they all look rather the same to Sam.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-11-10 at 01:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Default [To the Moon!]

"Well, because you can."
    "Tourism, privacy, to help the economy, and you're going to need the space eventually; you might as well be ready."
    Plum nods rapidly.
    "Calicyra has a point. Does your empire have holdings on other planets? If not you really ought to prioritize fortifying this one."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

[Gardens]

Batu's ears dip down.

"Well, I didn't ride them. It's not easy to learn that, and I was never even considered as a possible rider."

He sounds ashamed of that.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Vegetable Gardens

Sam arrives at the garden but doesn't really know what to do. He doesn't want to interrupt anyone's work. So he just sort of...shuffles along the side of the place, mumbling.
    "This is what I get for not writing things down."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

[To the Moon!]

Krystal looks thoughtful

Huh. Yeah, we've got a couple colonies and bases scattered around... but I'll talk to my son about being more proactive in dealing with meteors and stuff. It is a good point that we'll probably want the room eventually...

Though as oddly trusting as you are of random strangers who arrive at your castle, I find it unlikely your empire will last that long.

[Gardens]

Tirigan looks sympathetic

Oh! I'm sorry... but that let you come here, right? So it's not all bad...

[Vegatable Garden]

Fortunately, Sam doesn't have to be awkward too terribly long

Oh, hey! It's the guy from the mall! Hi there!

One of the furry little gardeners is now standing and waving excitedly at Sam.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

[Gardens]

Batu sighs, but it's more resigned than sad.

"It could be worse. Living here is better than being a useless runt in the tribe. There were rumours of a war brewing before they banished me. I'd have been given a spear and sent to soak up human arrows. I'd rather not."

Genghis flutters over to Tirigan and tries to sit on her shoulder.
    Last edited by Morty; 2016-11-16 at 10:05 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Veggie Gardens

Sam goes over to the waving fox and does his best to squat down for him.
    "Hiya. I told you I'd visit. How you guys doing? End of crop season with the chill coming. I think." he says, scratching an ear.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

[Gardens]

Tirigan blinks

Banished? Oh no! Well... better than being shot, but still...

Then she smiles at the little bird, her ear turning to listen better

Oh! Hello, there.

[Vegetable Gardens]

Kitnick nods

Yep, last crop for the year for a lot of these plants: time to bring most of it in. Honestly, the whole notion of "winter" has taken a bit of getting used to, but it's not all bad: those chilies over there are actually a lot better if they freeze before you pick them.

He points at a cluster of plants still brimming with purple-red peppers.

How've you been? Find the gift you were looking for?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Vegetable Gardens

"Yeah, I did. Got a few things." he says, adjusting the flatcap that's currently sitting on his head.
    "Thought I would visit like I promised. Finally got a day off this week."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

[Gardens]

"A small mercy, yes," Batu admits. "I chose to study sorcery, which is a great crime for them. I adopted Genghis here, though. He's one of those Pokemon creatures."

The bird chirps and preens himself on the priestess' shoulder.

18. - Top - End - #78

Default [To the Moon!]

"Specific strangers, my shiny comrade."
    Not that overthrowing the empire hadn't crossed their mind. But it just doesn't seem worth it.
    "They're doing fine."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

[Gardens]

Tirigan giggles at the little bird creature

Oh! I haven't seen one that was a bird before.

Then she tilts her head

Learning sorcery is a banishable offense? Well... I can't really imagine life without magic... it's just too much a part of who we are, I suppose.

[Vegetable Gardens]

Kitnick nods

Looks good! And glad you could make it.

Want a tour?

[To the Moon!]

The vulpanthropes have proven remarkably resilient so far.

That's as much of a concession as they're likely to get. Krystal chuckles

I do keep tabs on what is coming up you know: being one of the more powerful diviners in the world does have its advantages. The future's always a bit messy, or course - especially when the Town is involved - but nobody was coming with nefarious plots today.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

[Gardens]

Genghis flies back to Batu as the hobgoblin speaks.

"It is. Shamans and wind-callers are allowed to practice their magic, but sorcery is decried as a dwarf-made abomination, insulting to the spirits and elements. Stupid superstition, but what can you do."

21. - Top - End - #81

Default [To the Moon!]

"It's true."
    "Nefarious plots take time."

And Calicyra was already in the castle, sort of, not a visitor at all.

Plum smiles. That does explain a bit about Krystal, and a lot about this place.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Vegetable Gardens

Sam nods.
    "Yeah, sure. I've never really been to a temple before. I don't think the Gardens necessarily count. Too big." Sam says, putting his hands in his various pockets.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

(( What happened to November? I swear it was here a minute ago... sorry ... ))

[Gardens]

Tirian looks thoughtful

We always got along well with the dwarves, but I guess I can see how something like that could happen. I'm sorry that you had to face the brunt of it... but you're right, in a situation like that you don't really have many options.

[To the Moon!]

Krystal chuckles and shakes her head

Not to mention that they don't smell hostile and they're surprisingly relaxed all things considered...

the grumpy artifact cuts her off

Allright, already! You have made your point.

Krystal giggles... then looks out the window where a large space station is drifting along

Oh good: we're at the outer station now, at the L1 point for the large moon. It's not as stable as you'd get if there was only one moon, but it's a lot cheaper than pretty much anywhere else. We're making good time.

[Temple Tour]

Kitnick smiles and nods

Ok, then! Well, this is the main vegetable garden! Almost an acre and a half of respectably high intensity farming, including frames for growing things vertically. We were able to produce almost a third of the vegatables we needed this summer, and we hope to get that closer to half next year by expanding into some of the unused spaces around the complex.

He heads down the rows toward a large set of conspicuously anachronistic metal buildings

The priests tend to leave this next part out...
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-12-01 at 11:15 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Tour

Sam raises an eyebrow. "They leave it out? Why would they do that?" he asks, thankful perhaps for something other than farming, which he still doesn't really have all that much knowledge on.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

[Tour]

Kitnick shrugs

Maybe 'cause it's a little outside their usual operations?

Getting up to the wall, there's a very solid gate with a flag enameled on it:

Spoiler
    Show

Oh... and I guess they're from a different world with a kinda slightly different version of Inari or something? I'm still a little sketchy on the whole "Inari" thing, to be honest: that's not our name for the fox mother... but whatever.

This is an outpost of the Vulpine Empire. They're werefoxes, whatever that means... they're bigger than the Reds, and a lot more snarly. But they're here to keep us safe, 'cause apparently Inside is dangerous or something... not that I've ever seen anything bad and they never seem to actually do anything except go out on exercises.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Tour

Sam shrugs. Shrug-squared, even.
    "I dunno. Gods and goddesses are weird. I don't think there's any in Skyside. If they are, they're as callous as the gangers. I've never met Jezebel where I'm at now, but I hear she's real nice." Sam ponders.

Were-foxes? Interesting. He's mostly sure that he's immune to things like that with his current body.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

[Gardens]

"I've never actually met a dwarf. But they're credited with the creation of sorcery," Batu says. "Or at least codifying it. For what it's worth, not everyone in the tribe wanted to kick me out. But the people who decided that did."

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    (( What happened to November? I swear it was here a minute ago... sorry ... ))

[To the Moon!]

Krystal chuckles and shakes her head

Not to mention that they don't smell hostile and they're surprisingly relaxed all things considered...

the grumpy artifact cuts her off

Allright, already! You have made your point.

Krystal giggles... then looks out the window where a large space station is drifting along

Oh good: we're at the outer station now, at the L1 point for the large moon. It's not as stable as you'd get if there was only one moon, but it's a lot cheaper than pretty much anywhere else. We're making good time.
    "Sometimes we send someone through a portal and they never come back. It's not a big deal if it happens to us."

And over to the window they go to get a look at the space station. It's really something to see, a structure so out of place up here.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

[Gardens]

Tirigan smiles

That's something, at least. We didn't really use all that much magic of any sort, back home. Or at least... we didn't consider the things we did do to be magic and it was a surprise to me when I learned that not everyone can start a fire with their fingers. But the only dwarven magic I knew was my mother had a knife that never needed to be sharpened no matter what you cut with it.

[Tour]

Lycanthropy of any form doesn't even exist on the Vulpan's home world, so little Kitnick doesn't know what that "were" prefix means.

Kitnick nods his agreement

Yup! I don't go to their ceremonies or lectures or anything: I'm here to help take care of the gardens and keep an eye on my little brother. He's gone and joined their priesthood and goes around in white robes and everything.

Anyway, moving on: we need to backtrack a little - there's nothing but scrub and weeds south of here: the Temple bought the land, but hasn't done anything with it yet.

He heads back toward the gardens and then turns left, pointing out some buildings along the way.

That little building there is some magic place or other... never seen it used and I don't really understand what they mean by "summoning". Next is the priest's dormitories - they have the best cafeteria, but you have to be invited. Then that little garden belongs to the priests so they can raise plants of their own if they want... you can see by the weeds that there aren't many who care and we're going to take it over next year. Then the guest hostel: they're going to be expanding it again, soon - too many homeless people who need help. There's a cafeteria there, too, but it's not as nice.

[To the Moon!]

The station is spindly and asymmetrical, properly reflecting the lack of atmosphere or gravity to dictate its form and the expense of resources influencing a lack of decoration or aesthetic paneling.

Krystal tilts her head

So your consciousness isn't really here? Kinda just driving these bodies like the divine Avatars do?

Or perhaps they are simply expendable and resigned to their fate.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2016-12-01 at 12:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Tour

"Yeah, the place does kind of remind me of the Gardens. Got that peaceful feel going on. More shirts, thankfully. But I'm sure the cooks do the best they can. No cafeteria's ever going to be as nice as an actual restaurant." Not that he's really ever seen one.