New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Morning Services]

Peng looks thoughtfully at Genji

We fully expect Zhi and Kartuk to announce their engagement any time now: they've been dating for months, and our people don't linger the way many do.

But Na? She has been remarkably... quiet... of late. It's interesting you mention my other sister: she smells excited - and you know what I mean. But also... frightened? maybe nervous? I don't know, and she won't talk to me.
    "I wonder what it could be...? Would you like me to speak with Na for you, to make sure that everything's okay? Given what happened yesterday, it's normal to be frightened, but it might not hurt to check up on her anyways... I guess I could maybe, stay close to her tonight and make sure nobody tries to take advantage of her if you want, give you a chance to be yourself out there?" He offers, his own excitement betrayed even as he says this. He's conscious of this, and blushes, hoping Peng doesn't get the right idea... He is surprised at the revelation about Zhi and Kartuk, not having been aware of this despite living in such close quarters with the self-contained kitsune...
    Last edited by deleteman900; 2017-01-04 at 10:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

((Just ease into the new year...and - surprise, pushed right in ))

[Moonbase Alpha]

Sadly, most of those have gone unread.

"Goats?" Ri asks, puzzled, and continuing more carefully around the tower. Sure, they're a lawn-care solution, but kind of high-maintenance for space.

[BOOM]

Plum shrugs.
    "These things happen."
    Then she holds onto her seat, not being worth much in a ship-to-ship battle.

Back near the shuttle, a gentle psychokinetic pressure bubble forms around the fragment to hold some air in, and he turns back to the shuttle. The werefox shuttle crew might need help.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

Sam sighs, tying a towel around his wide waist, tails having to be pressed under. At least here the robes would have had tail holes. Oh, well. Sam pokes at his pudgy pecs with a lopsided grin.
    "Well, the circumstances have forced my hand, Kitnick, and now you know my dark secret. I might be a little bit overweight."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #244
    Pixie in the Playground

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick fairly well disappears inside a towel, wrapping it around and around his small form. Then he laughs

I'll keep your secret, promise! Alas, my being short is quite impossible to hide.

The lobby area is not large, and has a number of comfortable seats. There is a counter with tea, and a few pitchers of water with various fruits and vegetables floating inside. There is soft music playing: a flute and stringed instrument of some sort, but no voices.

It is not long at all before a well groomed young human enters, dressed in a snappy white spa-type uniform.

Anyone waiting for a massage?

[Moonbase Alpha]

Krystal begins to walk around the tower, a bit unwarily and trusting in her senses and reflexes to handle anything that might come up.

Goats would be a bit strange... and aren't they notorious for pulling the grass up entirely? Without someone or something to keep them in check, this would be a mud-patch, not a field like this.

Then, her right ear abruptly swivels: the faintest sound of movement is coming from a rocky outcrop that extends from out in the vacuum to a solid distance inside the bubble.

[Run away! Run away!]

Unortunately, the werefox Yamato cannon does not appear to share the game's lengthy cool-down period: even though the leviathan is already accelerating away, a third blast hits the giant ship and debris scatter around the cavernous interior. The shuttle crew is decidedly unhappy about these events, but can't do much of anything.

Anraja is unimpressed

See? They are always more ready to fight than to talk. We have not troubled them in five years, and yet they act as if the war was still in full force! If we were invading, we would not have captured one shuttle as secretively as we could manage - clearly we had something in mind other than conquest. But they take no effort to find out what... no, they just attack. They are a violent and feral people.

[Morning Services]

Peng laughs

Supernatural dimension-hopping evil enemies aside, my sister's pretty good at taking care of herself. Personally, I think she's fallen in love with someone, I just have no idea who. Mom and Dad are pretty easygoing, so I'd guess "nervous" is the right issue - probably trying to get up the courage to ask whoever it is out... I'm not worried. But if you can get her to spill her secrets then more power to you!

5. - Top - End - #245

[Running Away]

What happens when they have time to build better reactors and capacitors and so on, I suppose. Atorre decides that maybe the shuttle is a safer place to stay for that fragment.

Plum shakes her head slightly.
    "There was never an end to the hostilities for them. If they even realize that your aim is something other than conquest, then they must presume that your aim is worse than conquest. I suspect they share a saying with us - 'shoot first, ask questions later'. It's all set up to respond appropriately to the worst case, not the most likely one."
    She sighs.
    "What are the odds that we get out of range?"
    There's barely time to try anything.

[Moonbase Alpha]

"Then maybe there's something else here as well."
    Atorre's fragment stops, turns towards the rocks, and unfolds her little energy pistol.
    "You heard that too. Any idea what it was?"
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-06 at 10:46 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

Sam just keeps the towel on his lower half. No need to get fancy.
    "That would be the both of us." he tells the fellow, being much too full to snack on anything at the moment.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Services]

Peng laughs

Supernatural dimension-hopping evil enemies aside, my sister's pretty good at taking care of herself. Personally, I think she's fallen in love with someone, I just have no idea who. Mom and Dad are pretty easygoing, so I'd guess "nervous" is the right issue - probably trying to get up the courage to ask whoever it is out... I'm not worried. But if you can get her to spill her secrets then more power to you!
    "Mmm... if it's something like that, then I don't know how much good I can do, but I'll at least try. I don't like seeing you so distracted..." Genji puts a comforting hand on Peng's back, "Now what do you say we get out there and kick some butt? I'm sure we've got chores again today, haha!" Genji laughs a little nervously, wondering what assisting with communion is even going to be like...

8. - Top - End - #248
    Pixie in the Playground

[Running Away]

Anjara is still for a time

Nazash agrees with you: there was never so much as a formal cease-fire between us, therefore they still consider hostilities ongoing. Very well... I shall refrain from further complaints.

As to the question of escaping successfully... she shakes her head as the ship shudders again and the acceleration stops.

We will not escape with these bodies intact. Nazash is willing to warp you to your companions on the moon... but you will need to find your own way back to your friends. This is... very disappointing.

[Moon]

Krystal nods

Yeah, I heard it. And I smell it, too: rotting meat. Something undead is over there...

Burning red eyes, decaying flesh hanging from blackened bones, the creatures lurking just beyond the spur fit that description well. But they're...

Undead... sheep!?

The creatures look up with a hunger bred from long starvation, and necromantic power rapidly swells around them... these are no simple zombies.

[Bathhouse]

The masseuse nods

Great! If you'll just follow me.

Kitnick looks a little uncertain, but follows anyway. They pair are led down a short hallway to a room where a number of tables are arranged around. There are already several people being attended to, and the man gestures to two empty tables.

Please, pick a table and lie down on your stomach.

[Morning Services]

Peng nods

Yeah, we'd better get going: I don't want to be late. Lady Caroline's at the service this morning, and it'd suck to be the last ones in.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-08 at 10:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

Sam cheerily goes down and lies down.
    "It's not the most comfortable when you've got a middle like mine. But you'll be fine, Kitnick." he promises.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Services]

Peng nods

Yeah, we'd better get going: I don't want to be late. Lady Caroline's at the service this morning, and it'd suck to be the last ones in.
    Genji nods, hurrying along to keep up, saying a quick prayer to Inari as he goes under his breath, one for luck and protection on this day, with its challenges yet to come. "Quite, we must see that we are not then. Early initiate gets the promotion, right?" He asks with a soft snort of laughter.

11. - Top - End - #251

[Running Away]

"That would be appreciated. This body is expensive to replace."
    Plum gets up, although she keeps a hand on her seat for stability. She's frowning - no surprise.
    "Before he does, we may want a way to reestablish contact. A place to find you, or one of you to accompany us. And if he can transport the werefox shuttle crew down, we can use this as evidence that you should be treated peacefully in the future."

[Moon]

The fragment shoots at the sheep straight away, hoping to interrupt whatever dark magic it's attempting.
    "Why would anyone make that?!"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #252
    Pixie in the Playground

[Failure to Escape]

Anraja heads over to the wall and tears off a small round chunk.

With this, you can contact us... in about a week. Regenerating all of us will take some time...

She stops short

Nazash... Nazash wonders if you would like me to accompany you. This is most irregular... why would I be sent away? Have I shown fear?

[Death Sheep]

((Inspired by the monster of the same name which debuted in issue 156 of "Dragon" magazine (April 1990) alongside such wonders as the Blink Wooly Mammoth and the nearly indestructible Gello Monster))

The shots chip at undead bone and disrupt undead flesh, but do little to disrupt what is technically an ability, not a spell. Likewise, Krystal's hastily thrown up wall of solidified shadows is of little use as the abominations raise their heads and bleat deadly tone: a sonic attack infused with magic to slay those that are so unfortunate as to hear it... a Bleat of Death.

Krystal makes her save with a wince, ears folded to the sides in minor pain and disorientation that she tries to hide

Power Word in "sheep"? Oh, come on... do I really look like I have less than a hundred hit points?

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick still looks uncomfortable as he gets up on the table. The masseuse comes over and drapes a reasonably heavy blanket over each of them before asking them to remove their towels from underneath. He heads off to attend to another guest who is finishing up, and leaves Sam and Kitnick in relative privacy.

The same peaceful music is playing, and the room is pleasantly warm. Kitnick doesn't complain this time, squirming the towel out and letting it drop to the floor.

[Morning Services]

Into the sanctuary! The acolytes are already lining up, and while Peng and Genji aren't last, they're uncomfortably close to being so. Felina in her navy fifth-rank robes immediately scurries grabs Genji's arm

That's a lot closer to late than early, young man: I wanted the servers here a little early. Go stand over there!

And with a firm shove she sets him in the direction of three other acolytes who all look somewhat sheepish and uncertain about exactly what they are supposed to do.

Up in front, dressed in robes of silver silk with the faintest hint of blue and trim so dark as to nearly be black, is a Vulpan vixen just a little shorter than most Genji has seen. She has long, flowing black hair and amber eyes and watches the acolytes gather with an amused expression. Lady Caroline Primerra: head priestess of the Temple and leader of Inari's faith in the Nexus.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

Sam has no trouble with following the directions.
    "Just relax, buddy. It'll be great." he assures the fox.

14. - Top - End - #254

Default [Fox Space]

[Done Running Away]

Plum giggles. She steps over-
    "Yes, we'd like you to come along. He's sending someone because he guessed correctly that we would be curious and wnat someone who can answer our questions." Not the whole reason there.
    -to take thew wall-flesh contact point and the queen's hand.
    "And he's sending you, Anraja, well, because we are most irregular. I can tell that you haven't disappointed him."

[Sheep Moon]

But you know who does have fewer than a hundred hit points?
    Out of all of Atorre's minions, Ri-types have the worst CON modifier. And they aren't exactly high-level to begin with.
    Dead.
    Her eyes go a little wider and she collapses, a puppet with cut strings.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-08 at 05:39 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Services]

Into the sanctuary! The acolytes are already lining up, and while Peng and Genji aren't last, they're uncomfortably close to being so. Felina in her navy fifth-rank robes immediately scurries grabs Genji's arm

That's a lot closer to late than early, young man: I wanted the servers here a little early. Go stand over there!

And with a firm shove she sets him in the direction of three other acolytes who all look somewhat sheepish and uncertain about exactly what they are supposed to do.

Up in front, dressed in robes of silver silk with the faintest hint of blue and trim so dark as to nearly be black, is a Vulpan vixen just a little shorter than most Genji has seen. She has long, flowing black hair and amber eyes and watches the acolytes gather with an amused expression. Lady Caroline Primerra: head priestess of the Temple and leader of Inari's faith in the Nexus.
    "Sorry Miss Felina, it won't happen again." He apologizes to her, looking at the ground out of deference to her rank. Their task is as unfathomable to Genji as it likely is for the other 3 young acolytes, though Genji resolves to stand still rather than fidget as he noticed the others were wont to do. Even if he had no immediate directions, he was still representing the temple at one of the most serious duties he has all week, and one of only a handful of chances he might get to really impress the head priestess, so he does his best to put his best foot forward.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Pixie in the Playground

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick chuckles, still nervous but resigned and not resisting

Yeah, I know. It's kinda silly to act like this is something bad when it's really a special thing that I only technically earn two of a month. Oh well... I "only" have 22 saved-up visits left... er... well, it'll be 23 tomorrow.

But it's their turn next, and if you haven't had a scrupulously professional spa massage... well...

They start by carefully moving the blanket back from one foot, and begin to rub pleasantly scented oil into the tender muscles. Many a time it is asked "is this pressure good? more? less?". On up to one leg, but not above the thigh. Then the other leg, then one arm beginning with the hand.. then the other. Then upper back, shoulders, neck and scalp. Then it's time to turn over and start again... it takes an entire hour to finish the entire treatement. They do not massage either person's tail... that being an erogenous zone for the foxes and therefore "out of bounds" for this service.

Kitnick is snoring by the time they start his right foot after he rolls to his back.

[Sheep Moon]

(( Well! that's not really what I had hoped for . But it lets me write a scene that hasn't happened in rather a long time... ))

Krystal turns to look for Ri's reaction... and freezes briefly. Her tone is one of pain, loss, and... acute embarrassment

What?! Ooooooooh.... Aw... come on....

She turns to glare at the approaching Death Sheep

NOBODY kills my guests like that!

Even as she speaks, her eyes start to glow red. She becomes semi-transparent and the color drains from her fur: revealing a greater shadow-wraith.

This garden will just have to do without it's lawn-mowing service in the future!

Black flames erupt around her and shadowy power swells rapidly... the sheep stop and stare: this is not at all what they were prepared for.

[Somewhere in Space]

Calicyra laughs outright

Oh, well. It appears there were guardians that I had missed. Your "Ri" has been disconnected, and Lady Krystal has been forced to show her true color... or the lack thereof, as the case is. But unless you hurry greatly you will miss the show, I'm afraid: Krystal is now rather put-out, and the guardians will not last long at all.

[Impending Doom]

Anraja takes Plum's hand uncertainly with one clawed appendage. Her carapace is dry, smooth, and pleasantly warm to the touch.

As you say... Nazash is in the process of moving the shuttle crew already, as they are in more imminent danger. It will be a moment longer for us.

The huge ship shudders again under another violent burst, and the lights go out. There is a disorienting sensation of sideways acceleration as the ship begins to list and spin, no longer under any controlled propulsion and instead at the mercy of explosions and out-gassing.

In all honesty, we underestimated their progress since last we met: this was not among the expected outcomes. The werefoxes, like the Terrans, have proven remarkably clever... I must admit my failure to trust in Nazash's wisdom in seeking cooperation with the mammals.

[Morning Services]

Caroline moves to the front and goes through the standard motions of the morning ritual. Then she turns to address the assembled acolytes and priests.

No organization will long prosper unless it adapts to the times and the culture in which it operates. In these days, simply providing a facility for meditation is not sufficient to draw the interest of new followers.
    Now, what some of you have heard is correct: we are going to be opening the garrison to new recruits, and even those not werefoxes will be brought into our armed forces. I have appointed Verise Hawkins to Lt. General: the highest rank she would accept, and I have placed her in charge of a new military-themed branch of our school to be held inside their portion of the facility. But while they have generated substantial interest, and our hostel, school, and hospital have proven tremendously effective... they are merely secondary to our actual purpose in being here.

she looks around at the silent and attentive group

We are here to spread the truth, the love, the acceptance of our goddess. And so, to move ahead with that overarching goal, I am instituting several changes which I will not hesitate to admit are borrowed from the examples of other successful divine organizations. First: we will be instituting both morning and evening devotional services, where a full priest will deliver an educational and inspirational message to those worshippers who wish to attend. The church of Tamamo will do similarly at full-sunset and false-dawn. The church of Keiko has been given permission to hold services at noon and midnight. In light of this, I have asked their acolytes to begin joining this meeting, as it is the only time all three groups share in common.

She gestures toward the door: two ranks of black-furred foxes, drow, and oddly pale elves walk solemnly in. These are dressed in the same sort of white robes that everyone else is, but their holy symbols are strikingly different: an abstract, swirled design with nine divisions. And then, one single row of almost entirely human acolytes dressed in lavender track-suits, each emblazoned with an abstract swirled nine-tail design on top of which rests a coiled, red-eyed, black dragon.

I want to make it very clear to all of you: we all serve Inari in the end. If I hear of any of you treating the others poorly because of the populations the other serves, I will take it both seriously and personally.

The acolyte next to Genji whispers

I heard her talking earlier: she plans to turn anyone who messes that up into an Eevee and make them entertain the Kindergarteners. And then you'll have to put up with Squee all day, every day...

Caroline, however, does not pause

As part of all this, I am instituting a new ritual to our service. For ages untold, the notion of eating a small morsel and drinking a small amount of some ritual elements has been an important factor of devotion. Whether Baccanacalian grapes and wine, or roasted meats and mead, or rice and sweets: the notion of eating is well established as a common manner of remembrance.

I have chosen our standard rice-ball cakes: simple to make, easy to store, and yet a perfect reminder of the grain for which we are grateful. And to accompany that, the light sake - insufficiently potent as to cause trouble with younger members, but enough to notice and remember.

She turns to look at the four who were assigned: Genji and the three others

You four will be serving the first service, immediately following this meeting. It is not a challenging duty: you will carry a tray of rice balls among the attendees, offering them with "the gift of Inari". Then you will carry a tray of small cups of sake, offering them with "the wealth of Inari". Once everyone is served, you are done.

She pauses briefly, then looks around

Are there any general questions?

clearly implying that the four servers are not really welcome to ask for details just yet...
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-08 at 08:20 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

Sam's perfectly fine with the treatment and has done this before. Though, the foxes doing his treatment might be amused to notice that Sam's tails twist themselves up when he's enjoying himself.
    "Psst. Kitnick. Wake up." he says, not wanting to get up himself, all pleasantly achy, but he really can't let the fox snooze through their visit.

Morning Service

Steven Primerra will be in the crowd. Not particularly doing anything, but he can't well miss something this important to the faith. Especially given he's virtually the head of Tamamo's sect until someone ends up outranking him (or if FD starts posting for his peer again). Still, he'd like nothing more than to have Myobu's straw hat right now. He hates seeing Caroline all angry and stern.
    ((No interaction necessary, but as said, it would make no sense for him to be absent ))

18. - Top - End - #258

[Sheep Moon]

(( Well, sorry for disappointing you. ))
    The dead fragment does not come on.

[Somewhere in Space]

"I'm not sure how much hurrying I can do...
    But one can never just give up.
    Nai reveals her true lack of color, draining away to a dull neutral grey, and maybe grabbing a bit of color from the mutalisk and/or Calicyra too. The distance in the space between them and the moon should shrink considerably. Briefly, but enough for them to get quite a ways.

[Impending Doom]

How unsteadying. Luckily Plum has a more stable creature to hold on to. Not that it's really necessary.
    "They're not so different from the Terrans some of them used to be. But in the long run, I think they will be overcome."

[Morning Services]

At least one person rises with general questions. Arlem in his silver robes lifts a hand and takes a deep breath. Hopefully he doesn't get anyone but himself in trouble for this.
    "Why? When did we start to value the organization so highly?"

It soon becomes obvious that this is becoming a whole speech. "I expect most of you know who I am. I am where I am because I strive to understand every religious tradition I have encountered, whether they scorn me or, as you have, accept me into your family. And in all I have seen in this Nexus, Inari's pantheon has stood apart, because we were good before we were a church."

The next few lines are recited in a rhythmic rote voice.
    'We do not try to win converts.'
    'It is not ceremony that will lead you to enlightenment.'
    'Purity is a private matter between you and the goddess.'

He looks around the assembled priests and acolytes.
    "Are these just details of only passing importance to our strategy? Are we weak and failing for having followed them? Will we priests be doing more good when we become teachers of lay worshipers instead of councilors to all who seek?"

"Just what are our principles?"
    This last line is carefully pitched to sound like an inquiry, a confused student seeking clarification, and not a challenge, but of course it is. Are the others murmuring support, or booing his over-traditional self? Or, too polite to interrupt with either, are they at least thinking it?

No comment on the presentation of rice-balls and sake, as that's obviously a good and delicious idea, with no questions from him. And the possible tension involved in establishing a military academy for promotion of love and acceptance is something others might well bring up.
    This whole reorganization is such a surprise Caroline's done so much keeping the religious part of the temple free from the pressures of mundane business-existence. Has reality finally caught up?
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-09 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Spelling, reduce ambiguity.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Services]

Caroline moves to the front and goes through the standard motions of the morning ritual. Then she turns to address the assembled acolytes and priests.

No organization will long prosper unless it adapts to the times and the culture in which it operates. In these days, simply providing a facility for meditation is not sufficient to draw the interest of new followers.
    Now, what some of you have heard is correct: we are going to be opening the garrison to new recruits, and even those not werefoxes will be brought into our armed forces. I have appointed Verise Hawkins to Lt. General: the highest rank she would accept, and I have placed her in charge of a new military-themed branch of our school to be held inside their portion of the facility. But while they have generated substantial interest, and our hostel, school, and hospital have proven tremendously effective... they are merely secondary to our actual purpose in being here.

she looks around at the silent and attentive group

We are here to spread the truth, the love, the acceptance of our goddess. And so, to move ahead with that overarching goal, I am instituting several changes which I will not hesitate to admit are borrowed from the examples of other successful divine organizations. First: we will be instituting both morning and evening devotional services, where a full priest will deliver an educational and inspirational message to those worshippers who wish to attend. The church of Tamamo will do similarly at full-sunset and false-dawn. The church of Keiko has been given permission to hold services at noon and midnight. In light of this, I have asked their acolytes to begin joining this meeting, as it is the only time all three groups share in common.

She gestures toward the door: two ranks of black-furred foxes, drow, and oddly pale elves walk solemnly in. These are dressed in the same sort of white robes that everyone else is, but their holy symbols are strikingly different: an abstract, swirled design with nine divisions. And then, one single row of almost entirely human acolytes dressed in lavender track-suits, each emblazoned with an abstract swirled nine-tail design on top of which rests a coiled, red-eyed, black dragon.

I want to make it very clear to all of you: we all serve Inari in the end. If I hear of any of you treating the others poorly because of the populations the other serves, I will take it both seriously and personally.

The acolyte next to Genji whispers

I heard her talking earlier: she plans to turn anyone who messes that up into an Eevee and make them entertain the Kindergarteners. And then you'll have to put up with Squee all day, every day...

Caroline, however, does not pause

As part of all this, I am instituting a new ritual to our service. For ages untold, the notion of eating a small morsel and drinking a small amount of some ritual elements has been an important factor of devotion. Whether Baccanacalian grapes and wine, or roasted meats and mead, or rice and sweets: the notion of eating is well established as a common manner of remembrance.

I have chosen our standard rice-ball cakes: simple to make, easy to store, and yet a perfect reminder of the grain for which we are grateful. And to accompany that, the light sake - insufficiently potent as to cause trouble with younger members, but enough to notice and remember.

She turns to look at the four who were assigned: Genji and the three others

You four will be serving the first service, immediately following this meeting. It is not a challenging duty: you will carry a tray of rice balls among the attendees, offering them with "the gift of Inari". Then you will carry a tray of small cups of sake, offering them with "the wealth of Inari". Once everyone is served, you are done.

She pauses briefly, then looks around

Are there any general questions?

clearly implying that the four servers are not really welcome to ask for details just yet...
    Genji is sorely tempted to be a smartass and crack wise about the whole thing, but decides that this probably isn't the time or place, so he stands impassively, waiting. He does take a moment to familiarize himself with the new holy symbols, and the overall design of each of the uniforms. He honestly doesn't care that much right at this moment, just hoping to keep his head down until he has his chance to shine~
    Last edited by deleteman900; 2017-01-09 at 12:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sheep Moon]

Krystal causes the shadows in and around the sheep to harden: immobilizing them

I only wish I had something more unpleasant available to do to you... but this will have to do.

With a swell of power, she Disjoins the first sheep: rendering it a grotesque lump of inert, rotting flesh and blackened bones. But she scowls at seeing only one be affected

Ugh... whoever assembled you was pretty powerful... this is going to take a while...

Meanwhile, the shuttle crew arrives on the other side of the tower and promptly collapses on the grass: disoriented and a bit ill from Nazash's less-than-gentle warp process.

[Doomed Leviathan]

Anraja nods but whatever she might have been about to say is cut off as Nazash's warp grabs the pair and sends them on their way!

[Space]

Calicyra hmms

That was actually quite impressive, Nai: I had not expected that level of ability... I remain glad that I chose to cooperate with you.

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick wakes with a small start

Huh? Oh... heh... I fell asleep! Are we done?

Not quite, but rather close: it is only a few minutes later that the massage is over and the pair are given fresh towels. It's really not all that difficult to slide off the table and cover up without revealing anything. The first masseuse smiles

Thanks for visiting. The bath itself is that way:

he motions to one door

If you aren't quite ready yet the main lobby is back that way

he motions to another.

Enjoy your stay!

[Morning Services]

Felina grins at Arlem: she, at least, isn't arguing with his questions. The acolytes are all too new to really understand the main points, however.
    Caroline blinks and hear ears pin back in annoyance for a brief moment, then return back up again. Her eyes flick briefly to Steven for support before she looks back to Arlem.

I... see...

Four painful weeks of long and frequently contentious and stressful meetings with the stubborn and demanding leaders of the business side of things had left her exhausted and so Arlem's questioning comes as quite a blow. She stumbles, and stutters, and even uses contractions...

Oh.... I would like to hope that it is clear that I do not in any way intend to subvert or replace our existing principles of peace, love, and compassion! I... uh... we're not trying to proselytize, just have some structure for people who are more comfortable with that... like Keiko's church. Uh... I also wanted all three groups to work together so we avoid strife between the denominations. Um... and not everyone can go to the priesthood training sessions, but so many people who do come don't know even our most basic beliefs. Um... but lately we're becoming a hospital and a school, not a religious institution, and ... Verise's people don't even contribute: every actual operation has been an abject failure, I was hoping this way they could be useful. It's not really a bad thing to drive around an open field in exercises, is it?

She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes to steady herself, then resumes with ears now folded in uttermost embarrassment.

Obviously... um... I am not going to force a change over your head, Arlem: you are my second in leadership and I value your opinion. So... um... for now... uh ... we will not begin these scheduled formal services. Uh... well... Keiko's people can hold their services at noon and midnight, I promised them they could. But ... um... in the meanwhile ... um ... we'll offer the communion to anyone who does come. And I'll schedule a meeting with you, and Steven, and Mei, and Matthew, and Felina... um ... and we'll discuss the reasoning behind all this and what the best way to ... um ... implement what I was envisioning ... um ... might be so we can all agree on it.

The acolyte next to Genji arches his eyebrows, and his tail flicks

Well! There's something you don't see everyday!

21. - Top - End - #261

[Sheep Moon]

The fragment with the crew keeps his feet under him, and finding sufficient air all around, dispenses with the psionic environment field. While the crew gets the bearings, he takes a moment to catch up with the approaching Nai, taking a few careful steps to test the gravity.

[Doomed Leviathan]

Down they go!

[Space]

Nai blinks a few times. Oh goodness, the moon is right there! The mutalisk is encouraged to prepare for normal flying.
    "Hmm? Did I do some...thing..."
    "Hold on. More of me is in range, but Ri is missing."

[Morning Services]

Now that is enlightening. 'lately we're becoming a hospital and a school' says a lot about the mindset this is coming from, a nervous perception of slipping relevance. Mixed in with a lot more, of course.

"Thank you, head priestess. It has been made clearer now."
    "I fully support this cooperation between our three branches of faith. And I think the communion of rice will be an excellent way to welcome people and ground ourselves in Inari's truths.
    He looks sternly at the four server acolytes. Don't mess that up. "And Lt. General Hawkins should, by all means, do what is needed for our forces to remain effective. Your own participation does far more than simply keeping the tanks in readiness - that sort of cooperation is an example to us all."

"I appreciate that you have heard my concerns. I am sure that together we can modernize the temple, without losing sight of why we do so or the meditative ways that have brought us so far."

He smiles at Felina - her look was all the needed assurance that his concerns weren't baseless - and takes his seat again.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-09 at 05:11 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Services]

Felina grins at Arlem: she, at least, isn't arguing with his questions. The acolytes are all too new to really understand the main points, however.
    Caroline blinks and hear ears pin back in annoyance for a brief moment, then return back up again. Her eyes flick briefly to Steven for support before she looks back to Arlem.

I... see...

Four painful weeks of long and frequently contentious and stressful meetings with the stubborn and demanding leaders of the business side of things had left her exhausted and so Arlem's questioning comes as quite a blow. She stumbles, and stutters, and even uses contractions...

Oh.... I would like to hope that it is clear that I do not in any way intend to subvert or replace our existing principles of peace, love, and compassion! I... uh... we're not trying to proselytize, just have some structure for people who are more comfortable with that... like Keiko's church. Uh... I also wanted all three groups to work together so we avoid strife between the denominations. Um... and not everyone can go to the priesthood training sessions, but so many people who do come don't know even our most basic beliefs. Um... but lately we're becoming a hospital and a school, not a religious institution, and ... Verise's people don't even contribute: every actual operation has been an abject failure, I was hoping this way they could be useful. It's not really a bad thing to drive around an open field in exercises, is it?

She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes to steady herself, then resumes with ears now folded in uttermost embarrassment.

Obviously... um... I am not going to force a change over your head, Arlem: you are my second in leadership and I value your opinion. So... um... for now... uh ... we will not begin these scheduled formal services. Uh... well... Keiko's people can hold their services at noon and midnight, I promised them they could. But ... um... in the meanwhile ... um ... we'll offer the communion to anyone who does come. And I'll schedule a meeting with you, and Steven, and Mei, and Matthew, and Felina... um ... and we'll discuss the reasoning behind all this and what the best way to ... um ... implement what I was envisioning ... um ... might be so we can all agree on it.

The acolyte next to Genji arches his eyebrows, and his tail flicks

Well! There's something you don't see everyday!
    Genji hasn't the clout to dare speak up to these titans of status, but the nervous flick of his tail and the tense set of his shoulders belie a certain sense of disagreement with these ideas. He had imagined that Inari and her followers were a force meant to protect and help others, to uphold the teachings of what is right and just, but they were discussing things like military training as a part of required curriculum? Unless he was grossly misunderstanding something, it seemed like the religious aspects of this temple were in danger of being squashed by the overbearing pressure of external forces, and this was a concept that he didn't know if he liked that much... Not like it matters that much anyways, he's just a pleb acolyte, what can he do but nod his head and try to exist...?

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

Sam isn't horribly coordinated but even though he doesn't manage to really get off the table and put the towel on flawlessly he doubts Kitnick was staring at his rear anyway.
    "Come on, Kitnick, let's hit the water. Last time I was at a place like this it was just a sauna. It was really weird, but probably less weird than the mud bath. That's a think fancy-folk do, apparently. And I'm well, you get it."

Morning Service

Steven starts to stand up a bit, but Arlem's dropping of the matter gives him reason enough to sit back down.
    Now, he would have vastly preferred to have been alerted that Keiko's church would be showing up during his shifts, but that's something to whine about later, not in front of the whole congregation.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

[Morning Services]

Caroloine dismisses the general assemblage of acolytes and heads over to Arlem and Steven... or the midpoint between them as it's unlikely they're right next to each other.

Hello...

Felina heads over to the acolytes

Well... it would seem Caroline is feeling her relevance slip. Don't worry about all that: it's not likely to affect you all particularly much. I don't honestly understand why she insists on keeping the nearly entirely pointless werefox army employed, particularly now that they can simply go home, but I imagine I'll hear more about that at the meeting she has promised. Chins up, now: you were all selected on purpose and as strange as things have been so far this morning, it's going to settle down now.

In the meanwhile, we will be going on as planned: two of you will serve rice balls, and two will serve sake. And that's if anyone actually comes, of course... it's usually quiet this time of day and since Caroline forgot to tell anyone about this little plan, it hasn't been advertised at all.

And bonus: we don't have to hear anyone lecture us, so we're all going to end up with an extra half hour off on top of your usual break after your morning assignment, which of course puts you into lunch and so you're going to be free until 1 pm.

Now, I'm sure you all have questions! Fire away, I'll do the best I can.

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick nods and heads through the door to the bath: a pseudo-natural hot spring with smoothed lava rocks and whisps of steam gently rising. It's well fenced-in with living bamboo screening a quite dead bamboo fence which is itself backed by the stucco of the outer wall. Kitnick takes a breath to build his courage, slips his towel off and onto a hook, and fairly well scurries into the water... to the mirth of a red-fox Vulpan soaking there already.

Now now: little Fenethi, you've made the pool all waves! There's just me here today, no reason to be shy.

[Sheep Moon]

Anraja looks around at the grass and the desolation beyond, then at the werefox crew who are now gawking at her: their small pistols drawn but pointing at the ground for now. She raises her main pincers in a mimicry of surrender.

I am not here to harm anyone: please do not be alarmed. I am an ambassador and a guest of Miss Plum, who is held in high regard by your own queen-mother...

The shuttle captain is tilting his head in finest confused-canid fashion

You can... talk? Ambassador? But why...

He is in turn cut off as there is a frightened but loud and unearthly bleat followed shortly after by an explosion! The crew all turn in concern toward the tower, beyond which a column of smoke is rising.

[Moon Orbit]

Calicyra chuckles

I told you: she was disconnected - a deadly word of power spell, if I read the signs correctly. Vastly insufficient to harm Lady Krystal, but it would seem that Ri's body was not up to the task. There is some necromantic mischief hiding even now in the shadows where we cannot see... but Lady Krystal's own shadow looms darkly over the entire area and I can no longer see anything clearly over there. The shuttle crew and Plum are there now, as is a Zerg Queen for some unfathomable reason.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

Sam chuckles and more casually removes his towel, though his ease is born pretty much solely from the fact that he has extra hands to cover himself as he does so.
    He arrives at the pool and starts to lower himself in, though he shrinks back in surprise. "Wow, that's a lot hotter than I expected." Though he's keenly aware of the two fox-men looking at him, and he does his best to lower himself quick enough to not give anyone a few should they enter the room behind him, a thought he he suddenly gets, and also without causing any waves.

26. - Top - End - #266

[Morning Services]

As the acolytes disperse, Arlem gets back up and moves closer to make the conversation a little easier.
    "Hello, Head Priestess Caroline. Honored Steven."
    He considers what, if anything, to apologize for. Hmm. Wait until Caroline seems to particularly want one, is probably best.
    "I hope there are no hard feelings. You really have put a lot of trust in me. Now, what did you want to discuss before the meeting with the other head priests?" If that's even what Mei and Matthew are called.

[Sheep Moon]

"Yes, Queen Anraja is friendly. The short story is we've teamed up to stop a monster from Old Town. The long story can wait because there's undead over that way that are fighting Lady Kyrstal and have already killed one of my men. Come on."

Plum points and starts moving briskly that way herself. They're going to follow. And if not, they'd probably lose a fight against a queen that's already so close.

[Moon Orbit]

"The queen is helping fulfill their end of a bargain. We and their cerebrate both have further plans for her, possibly overlapping, but that will do for now. Is that the tower down there?"
    The mutalisk starts angling that way.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Morning Services

"Morning everyone." Steven says, rising for real this time.
    "Quite a bit for one morning, I think. I think we're all on the same page right now, at least." he says, hoping he's right.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Pixie in the Playground

[Morning Services]

Caroline sighs

As you've probably guessed... it has been a miserable month. I just do not have Caravan's knack for dealing with directors, I guess. The current situation is that overall, we are actually doing quite well: the school and hospital now bring in enough that we are not dependent on donations or craft sales anymore... but...

she sighs, and looks at the ground

First off, I do not want to give up our self defense force... even if they have yet to do anything useful! It is fine and nice to say "send them home", but for the ones living here this is home! They came here from some place called Ravenloft and many have never so much as stepped foot in that weird alternate version of WinterHearth. They dedicated their lives to defending the temple... I can just send them away. But I do understand how expensive that facility is and how irresponsible it is to have them just not do anything... It seemed reasonable enough to just add them as an option to the school, and the board liked that idea... though we're going to have to substantially reduce the amount of equipment that is kept ready. Especially that huge flying thing.

She shrugs

But the other part is more personal. This is a Temple: not a hospital, not a school, not a cadet training camp... Of course you are right, Arlem: we do not go looking for converts, but is it really wrong to try to appeal to people who just do not bother to come at all because they do not feel served by quite such an informal setting? Not everyone thrives without some structure... I know, and you are quite right, Inari doesn't care about rituals: stand there and repeat some random thing as long as you like you will not get the slightest bit of her attention. But things like the morning ceremony are for us, really... not her. So when Keiko's high priest came asking to start having services here... I rather ran with that...

She slumps a little bit

Of course, after having worked through all that myself, it rather slipped my mind that maybe I ought to talk to everyone else about it first. So there, in a nutshell, are my concerns: honoring a group of people who dedicated their lives to the temple, maintaining relevance in the face of shifted economics, and serving people who need something more than quiet meditation.

[Bathhouse]

The priest smiles

It's supposed to be warm! It encourages the circulation and opens the pores. There's another pool area with three temperature zones, but that's mixed bathing, so unless you specifically ask for it you'll not get access there.

Kitnick shakes his head

No thanks.

[Moon Orbit]

Calicyra responds in the affirmative

Yes, that's it. It looks like the arrival of others has already disrupted some amount of the shielding the place once had.

Or a certain Cerebrate disrupted it when warping Ri and Krystal there...

[Sheep Moon]

Anraja doesn't exactly linger, and the shuttle crew all scramble to follow!

Krystal is still glowering at the four remaining death sheep. There are signs that would speak of a furious battle... if the sheep could actually move. But no: they are still as statues, and the damage to the grass and ground is from Krystal's attempts to destroy the remarkably resilient monsters.

You resist too many things!
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-10 at 12:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269

Default [Morning Services]

"This next month can be a better one."

Arlem motions that Caroline ought to look back up.

"What would be really irresponsible is starting a war to produce a better return on the investment. So long as they are tough on species discrimination against the new recruits, teaching and staying prepared is probably the best we can do." For a moment he looks over towards the main entrance, out towards the city. "I do not think we should be aiming to make a profit off the werefox army. Providing the structure of that organization is another of our good works. Maybe not the most efficient. That 'huge flying thing' is quite a symbol, isn't it?"

He shakes his head briskly.

"It is a temple. And a hospital, and a school, and a training camp, and a garden, and a nature conservatory - " Here he waves out at the arboretum "and, and a soda shop." That sleepy acolyte just now getting a fox-cola from the vending machine might get more attention from temple higher-ups than they would prefer. "The temple is not just a temple. But maybe you're right, and we've neglected that part of it."

"However, you really should talk to the other priests about the devotional services. I suspect not everyone wants to be a preacher. Offering structure, rather than, uhm, imposing it, will help people. I do wonder, should we all be as structured? Or ought we specialize. If those who most need structure are directed to Keiko's devotionals, and the freest spirits to Tamamo's council - "
    Arlem glances to Steven. It's baseless conjecture at this point that the nogistune and shadow foxes would on average have the least interest in formal worship services. "-well, we all serve Inari in the end, do we not?"
    He gets briefly distracted trying to remember just how many full priests there are. There was a time not so long ago without any high priests, after all.

[Moon Orbit]

"Well, we're going down to meet them. You can get us through the remaining shields, can't you?"
    Nai says, aiming the artifact towards the tower.

[Sheep Moon]

"Krystal?"
    The whole shadow-wraith thing definitely leads to a moment of hesitation on Atorre's part.
    But then it's all sorted out, and they add energy blasts, bullets, and sharp pyschokinetic projections to the list of things to test the sheep's immunity with.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-10 at 01:19 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Morning Services

Steven isn't bothered. He waves Arlem off. "Don't worry about it, Arlem. We do have the least structure. Technically speaking Tamamo doesn't have a high priest in any way, just two fifth-ranks with a slight overlap in the junior messenger program. "
    That's not really an issue but it is telling.
    "I only preach when they twist my arm because I'm terrible at it and no one seems to realize it." Least of all Tamamo, whose personal visits to Steven have basically been as much favor as any priest can expect to have aside from actually being high priest. This author can't remember if he ever met Inari herself, though he leans towards 'no' or 'only for about fifteen seconds.'
    " But I agree on not sending the werefoxes home. We can't just uproot them. Even if, uh, a health class or two might be good if they open recruitment." he says with a goofy smile. Can't have those werefoxes go around kissing the new recruits and getting them all infected.

Bathhouse

Sam nods with Kitnick. "Yeah, I won't subject any poor fox-ladies to having to see all this. This spot's just fine. Mmm." he says, leaning back a bit in the water until he's basically as deep as he can go.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2017-01-10 at 01:37 PM.