New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Ghostfoot's Age of Worms (IC) Pt 2

Jhann

"A quiet killing rouses few heads." Jhann says as he hustles over to the dead lizardfolk. "If they are patrolling this area then perhaps we are near to their hideout."
    Last edited by Chambers; 2016-11-01 at 05:41 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

"That was my thought, too. Let us proceed with a bit of discretion, then." he says with a smile as he tramps off after the hounds, blending effortlessly into the shadows as he goes.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

"If anyone wants to get Enlarged for a fight, be sure I can reach you when the time comes. Hopefully we are in time to save Marzena and the others." Keston moves to keep up with the group while trying to balance moving quietly and not becoming the rear guard for the group.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln giggles a bit at that thought of a large gnome such as him as he ranges further ahead of the others, keeping to the shadows but flanking the hounds.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide
    (1d20+19)[23]
    MS
    (1d20+16)[22]
    Listen
    (1d20+12)[29]
    Spot
    (1d20+11)[23]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

The party moves carefully around the mound and twisted mangaroo roots. The hounds pad forward clearly excited and agitated as they scent a myriad of creatures tracking in all directions. Picking your way through the mud and branches the dogs converge at a point, heads inclined to a large tangled mass of dangling roots. A quick inspection reveals that the roots have been carefully cultivated to obscure an opening. A pitch-black tunnel descends underneath the mound, water drip-dripping from many roots hanging from the ceiling and pooling on the muddy ground.

Spoiler: checks & info
    Show

Search DC15 to uncover entrance:
    Keston (1d20+2)[7]
    Kurnos (1d20)[12]
    Kuln (1d20+11)[29]
    Jhaan (1d20+2)[15]
    Susebron (1d20-1)[17]

The tunnel is about 7ft wide and 7ft high. Primus will have to squeeze to get through.

Photobucket is down. I'll post a map when it is up again, but there's not much more to relay.

6. - Top - End - #36

Keston speaks with a warn smile. "Nice catch Kuln. With it so muddy, any sign of recent use?" He puts the bow away and pulls out his morningstar. The cleric will stick to the middle of the group within the tunnel. His cap is turned up so that the magical stone sewn into it lights up the area.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Granted, his lack of stealth skills and becoming a beacon of light could get chastised anyone.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

As they move forward and find the tunnel, Bron quietly moves next to Keston and whispers as if someone might overhear them "I would most definitely benefit from such a spell, I've had a cleric cast it on me before. But I must tell you though, I have a tendency to break things, armor, shields, weapons. So if you want any of their stuff, let me know before hand..." he says with a wry grin. "Though, we're better of alive with broken stuff, than dead with nice and pretty things, eh?"

He quiets as they approach, peering into the darkness. He casts a quick orison, and his sword lights up, similar to Kestons cap.

Spoiler
    Show

casts light on his sword
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2016-11-07 at 01:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos looks into the hole and then at the massive wolf beside them. He tickles the beast under its armoured chin and points to the back of the pack. "Shall Primus take up the rear? He can keep up safe and won't slow us down as he squeezes down the corridor. Need to make you smaller eh?" He looks ahead as he moves to the hole in the ground pulling out his shield and his club as the others cast light. "IF we meet the scaled beasts shall we try to speak to them?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

"Thanks. Can't tell if there was anything recent. What about the Hound of Doom, eh?" he says as he nudges Kurnos in the ribs.
    As the light begins to shine from magic, he almosts hisses. "Well, once we are in there, make sure to keep well behind me. Nothing like a little light at my back to outline my approach." sarcasm dripping from his words.

10. - Top - End - #40

"We can try talking. May need to resort to knocking one out and bringing a prisoner along with us."

Keston takes Kuln's admonishment to mind. Taking his cap in hand he tries to limit how much light is shining. With Kuln out in front the party just needs the few feet ahead of them to see where they were stepping at this point.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Bron almost recoiled at the venomous response to his light orison.

How as he supposed to see? Not everyone could see in the dark. he thought to himself, but as Keston dampened his own light, Bron followed suit, not wanting to make waves. They had an order to things, and he broke that.

He followed along mutely, trying not to get in the way of anyone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Kuln moves ahead down the tunnel, the others following behind, just in his sight. The air is moist and a bit smoky and mosquitoes swarm through the air as they're disturbed. Most of the tunnel walls seem to actually be root structures with some earth as well. Beetles and other insects skitter about and the dogs are very agitated with all of the myriad scents about.

Not far in Kuln comes to a junction. A small alcove to the south has a few javelins and wooden clubs decorated with shells propped against the wall. A large clay pot is filled with fresh water.

To the east the tunnel is dark, as is the sloping tunnel to the south. The western tunnel has a distant flicker of torchlight reflecting down it. There is a smell of rotting matter in the air which gets much stronger as you approach the tunnel sloping down south.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

=> Party

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

The diminutive Kuln squats down and holds his hand out behind him, palm extended, signalling the rest of the party to stop. He spies what he can before sneaking back.
    "It splits in three just up ahead. Looks like a guard post might be just up ahead but I didn't see anyone. It's a pinch point where we can get gained upon by three... well, four sides. How do you guys want to do this? I'm thinking we make a right, clear it out, and move back."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos pauses as Kuln comes back up. "THis place may be a warren. Would it make sense to announce our presence and then after the inevitable battle we could try and speak with them and negotiate? If not I fear we will leave this den choked with dead lizards." Looking up ahead at the opening he grins. "Plus the space up ahead is a good place to bring our dogs..."

15. - Top - End - #45

Keston joins in the whispered chat. "Let's have Kuln check around to the right where the torchlight is first? I do speak draconic and their language seems to be close enough. If the opportunity is there I can see about a more peaceful outcome."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, sounds like a grand plan." says with a mocking tone towards Keston before breaking into a smile.
    "Honestly, not an issue if the cavalry is behind me somewhere. Everyone good with that or do we make our presence known?"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Bron nodded in assent. If his opinion mattered, he wasn't sure, he was trying not to make waves.

The shadow next to him, seemed to pad closer to Kuln, as if it wanted to join him.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

18. - Top - End - #48
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Jhann

"If any of our esteemed spellslingers can conjure up a wall of some sorts to block one tunnel while we explore the other, that'd reduce exposure on our flank." Jhann says quietly. "Otherwise, I'd say we hang back and let the quiet ones go on ahead, at their discretion of course. My sword is right behind you."
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Kuln slinks forward down the humid and muddy tunnel toward the flickering light. Peering about a tnalged clump of roots he spies a dank chamber. Several armed lizardfolk shuffle and squat about a firepit of smoking reeds, all with the distinctive red warpaint about their eyes as you saw at the siege of Cromm's Hold. Judging by the mud and grass sleeping pallets about the room it looks like some sort of sleeping quarters.

From where Kuln is he can see more flickering torchlight down the passage that continues to the southwest.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

=> Party

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln, once spotting the lizardmen and some possibly further up, slowly makes his way back to the others.
    "Looks like 5 in the room up ahead and, possibly, more, further up around the bend. Nasty business to be caught between them."
    Looking at Keston, he says "Well, if you want to try this peaceably, this would be your time. Don't worry, got your back if it goes bad." with a wink.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos nods at Primus. "Shall Primus hold the corridor here? We should try talking first, then if that fails we'll have to end them as fast as possible." As he speaks both tails flick and snap dangerously as he looks at the others, mask glistening with moisture in the dim light. "Keston, do you feel confident you can speak their tongue?"

22. - Top - End - #52

Kuln's scouting gave Keston time to think about strategy. After the gnome's report Keston took another moment to think things through.

The cleric smiles and nods. "Yes, I have full faith will we all stand together. I agree we should see if there is any Reason to be found with them. I suggest Primus holding this intersection, Kuln to keep an eye around the bend up there, Kurnos to join me, and the rest in the middle, ready to go where needed."

"They are lizardmen warriors. I believe a show of force without being too threatening would be best."

Keston casts Prestidigitation followed by pulling out his wand of Shield and using it on himself. He finishes his preparation with a different wand in one hand and his morningstar in the other. He looks to Kurnos. "Ready?"

With Kurnos right behind him, he adds one more touch. With just a thought his armbands begin showing blue electric charges of energy dancing along the surface. He steps up to the mouth of the quarters. He calls out in draconic, from out of sight at first, then walks into the light of their torches while armed but weapons lowered. His voice is firm and authoritative. He uses simple language.

"Redeye warriors. We are here to talk to Redeye himself. Attacking us will anger Redeye. Keep your weapons down. Who is in charge here?"

Show
    In the interest of time, hope I'm not going too far assuming agreement with the plan. There is time for people to prepare while Keston is doing the same.

Prep:
    Cast Prestidigitation.
    Wand of Shield on himself.
    Cap is down, not shedding light, counting on their torches.
    Wand of Sound Burst and morningstar readied.

Action:
    Move to K29. Start speaking while moving to J29
    Diplomacy (1d20+11)[16]
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Keston calls out to the lizardfolk warriors, then steps into the torchlight. The hulking scaled humanoids snap to alertness, bristling with jagged clubs and flexing sharp talons at the sight of the young man. As he steps forward the creatures emit low hisses as they slowly spread out around the chamber sizing up the intruder. While clearly close to hurling themselves at Keston in a battle frenzy, one of the lizardfolk with bright war-paint across his eye responds slowly to him in their crude dialect "Human. Sit here. Wait" It gestures Keston into the room to sit by the fire in the middle of the room as it makes to depart down the southwest passageway. The others grip their weapons in their scaled claws with obvious anticipation.

24. - Top - End - #54

Keston turns his head back towards his party briefly. "One coming through. Let him pass. Expect him to bring back someone more in charge."

Turning back to the warriors who want to tear him to pieces, he gestures downward for them to also sit around the fire as he does. He slowly reaches into his cloak and pulls out a flask. As he opens it a small amount of steam is seen. He takes a swig of the hot tea.

Show
    Flask is from the Travel Cloak.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Kurnos grins behind the mask, hands grasping the club and twin tails snapping and whipping around in the dim lights as the lizardman walks past. Leaving Primus as a massive growling presence in the central hall he sends Secundus into the hall with the warriors to nuzzle against Kuln. Or at least as much as a massive warhound with claws, purple scales and two barbed tails can nuzzle. "This bodes well. I'm glad that we are able to speak with these creatures. Though I suspect Redeye won't be as amenable."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Kuln does his best to blend in with the shadows and any crevices he can, keeping out of sight, as he smiles at Keston, even if he might not be able to see it.

Spoiler
    Show

Figure he's behind that spot at L/M-32.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Keston sits by the fire, nuzzled by the friendly ever-changing hound Secondus. The rest of the party waits further back. Long minutes pass. The remaining lizardfolk remain standing uneasily, tongues flicking in and out the flex sinews and weaponry as everyone is on edge.

Eventually there is the sound of activity. Torchlight approaches, illuminating a large scaled hulk striding forward accompanied by a group of more Redeye clan warriors. The leader wears plates of armour across its enormous green-scaled body. At first these look like fur clothing but as you look closer you see it wears battle armour fashioned from the bristled black hide of giant wolf spiders. A sheaf of javelins hangs from a harness and like others of its kind that you have seen it bears many fetishes, tokens and amulets. It bear no weapons but looking at its razor-sharp talons it is obvious it has no need of any. It bears the same read war-paint around its eye as the rest of the tribe and around its maw its green scales are stained black.

Barging through any careless warriors who are in the way it steps forward into the room with Keston. A heavy braided vine rope is held in one hand and it pushes forward the bloodied and broken captive that is bound by it. The poor soldier cries in pain and falls at its feet. He's obviously been mistreated and barely alive with missing fingers, a dangling broken arm and one eye swollen shut. His remaining eye is wide with terror.

The hulking leader grunts and hisses with laughter as the unfortunate man falls down, and then fixes his eyes on Keston. In crude draconic it speaks "I am Kotabas. You seek Redeye. He says no. You are not worthy of our great leader, except as a meal of honor. What makes you think that you can leave here alive, Scaleless One?"

All about the growing numbers of tribal warriors tense waiting on your response to the goading...

=> Party

28. - Top - End - #58

As the approach is heard, Keston calmly puts his flask away, stands, turns toward the entrance, and awaits the arrival. His cloak turns to the bright blue of Mystra. His holy symbol and medallion of gallantry clearly hang from his neck. Bits of lightning silently surge around his gloves. He listens to Kotabas' challenge as he gazes at the warrior. A slight smile and nod can be seen as he recognizes the armor Kotabas wears. He uses the look to create a pause, to keep tensions from boiling over.

"Kotabas, yes. We have heard of you. Second only to Redeye himself for the tribe. I am Keston. You don't know that name but by now you know of us. We are the ones who routed your warriors at the human fort. We too have fought and killed giant spiders." The cleric turns his eyes to the prisoner between them. He takes a knee to look closer, then stands back up.

"We did not come here to be a meal. We came here for this man and the other humans you took. In exchange for the human prisoners we have vital information to help your tribe. We too took prisoners. We will also have our prisoners released back to you, one of whom Redeye will want to make a meal of." He pauses, barely, to let that comment become a curiosity.

"What makes me think I will leave here alive? We stopped your assault on the fort. We made it through your territory without being caught. We got into these tunnels, even got into this room without a problem. The goddess Mystra aids us and we have many magics at our call. We are not here for a fight. We are here for trade, and that trade benefits your tribe. Your honor as a warrior should see the wisdom in it."

Show
    9 points healing (up to half full hp) from Touch of Healing (supernatural ability, no AoO)

What is the name of the pack leader we interrogated? --> Kushak

Assuming this is Diplomacy but isn't finished yet. If I should roll for how it is going so far let me know in OOC.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2016-12-02 at 08:36 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

"You talk too much, Scaleless One. All these words of trade and exchange. We of the Redeye do not trade. We take, and we feast on the bodies of our fallen foes. Redeye himself taught us that. Showed us that Scaleless Ones shall not be dealt with in any other way." Kotabas flexes his long talons as his warriors tense, "The Tribe will eat well tonight..."

Spoiler: next actions
    Show
    Cavir - Diplomacy check plse if you wish to avoid combat (or Bluff/ Intimidate if you choose).

30. - Top - End - #60

Keston stands tall. "Redeye taught you how to be defeated! It only took six Scaleless Ones to send the Redeye running. Soon there will be over 100 Scaleless Ones there. Blue feathered lizardfolk now approach your territory because he left the tribe weak. Redeye has failed you. It is time for him to die. You should take over the tribe. Kotabas can be the name the tribe cheers. Show your power and kill Redeye. We can even help. What say you? Are you brave enough to take him down and eat his flesh?"
    Show