New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Civ VI Discussion

Not a fan of culture, but I really think one of the Religous choices is a bit more powerful than others with Feed the World.

Food is the big cap, it decides how many districts I can build, how many tiles I can work, etc etc, and Feed the World gives me food enough to get a district more than I would otherwise get, while making low food areas more useful. One of my favourite towns in one game was one set on a bunch of tundra hills with a large amount of snow to the north. Snow is completely useless, it does nothing.

So you lose absolutely nothing when you cover it with wonders and districts And, then having a Feed the World holy site means I can have more than a handful of people there, unless I make that location the start of all my internal trade routes... Which I did anyway for the extra production.

Edit:
    I also thought, unlike 5, the game would take longer to get depressingly easy since there was no 3 range artillary. Then they gave me artillary corps and spotter balloons... I might need to actively avoid doing a domination victory for myself.
    Last edited by 5ColouredWalker; 2016-11-12 at 07:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    Food is the big cap, it decides how many districts I can build, how many tiles I can work, etc etc,
    I found housing to be a bigger problem in most cases--there are so many ways to get food in Civ6 that it's rarely a problem unless you built your city in tundra or desert.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I found housing to be a bigger problem in most cases--there are so many ways to get food in Civ6 that it's rarely a problem unless you built your city in tundra or desert.
    This. Housing is the big limiter in the early game, and until you get Neighbourhoods, your cities are limited to around 15 citizens unless you go crazy with farms.

Not that it changes much. Feed the world is so much more powerful a belief than other beliefs. But hopefully they'll take the time to balance faiths at some point.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm not liking war weariness as a mechanic. It seems odd that a game which abolished global happiness instituted a global modifier to happiness. It also feels artificial because it's dependent (as far as I know) on how long a war goes, and not, say, unit losses or the amount of production dedicated to the war effort. A purely nominal war waged by a foe across the entire map for a hundred turns is more damaging to happiness than a ten-turn war that leaves the homeland pillaged and slaughters units on both sides.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Trios of farms are powerful in the mid and extremely powerful in the late game due to adjacency bonuses with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

I've been enjoying Island Plates recently, and I decided to say 'Stuff it' and go an Island Plate legendary start on Marathon... There's a total of 12 land tiles on my island, I guess I'm going to be starting with the techs for boats at the start instead of after having won a continent this time.

7. - Top - End - #217

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    It also feels artificial because it's dependent (as far as I know) on how long a war goes, and not, say, unit losses or the amount of production dedicated to the war effort.
    I'm pretty sure unit losses etc. have an effect--you'd have to compare a losing war over 10 turns with a winning one over the same time period to determine it, rather than a 100 turn war against a 10 turn one, though.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

What's really fun is when you have war declared on you and then your city that's near the war immediately devolves into super-unhappy status and spawns 3 AT Crews and an artillery... Yeah, I'm not happy with the war weariness mechanic.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

9. - Top - End - #219

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    What's really fun is when you have war declared on you and then your city that's near the war immediately devolves into super-unhappy status and spawns 3 AT Crews and an artillery...
    Of course, if you happen to have an apostle with the appropriate promotion, you can immediately turn those barbarians into extra armies. I saw someone get 3 cavalry and a Field Cannon using that tactic.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Of course, if you happen to have an apostle with the appropriate promotion, you can immediately turn those barbarians into extra armies. I saw someone get 3 cavalry and a Field Cannon using that tactic.
    It becomes even easier when you have the citystate that lets you choose the promotion.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Only time I've ever suffered from a Civ VI war (thus far) was when a distant ai declared war on me, sent 3 units into my artillery shells, then refused to negotiate peace for a huge swath of time. I didn't have the army to actually mount an offensive on them, and by the time I realized my war weariness was spiraling out of control it was too late, I had swarms of barbarians rising up in my lands, pillaging my luxury resource improvements, and compounding the problem. Couldn't get the AI to accept even a lopsided (in their favor) peace and my home turf was being torn apart by rebels who had decided that I was the bad guy for having war declared on me and defending myself...

I tried the -25% war weariness policy, but it was too little too late, as I lost ~6 amenities from luxuries getting pillaged, already had a min -4 war weariness in my cities, and had been floating around 2-3 positive amenities before the war began. I ended up losing that game because the cost of being at war and being unable to get the AI to accept peace set me back too far to even have a hope of catching up.

It's kind of ridiculous that the threat in a war doesn't come from the AI units (which are almost always incompetent and weak, I play on difficulty 5 or below) but from the barbarians that will spawn unless you can negotiate peace with someone who refuses offers in their favor because you haven't sieged their city yet.
    Last edited by Binks; 2016-11-15 at 11:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

So what's everyone's wish-list of small things you hope the game will patch in, or at least get mods developed for once they make modding more open?

Personally I'm hoping for:
    A mapbuilder.
    Rebalancing passive religious pressure. As is, it seems pretty nonexistent.
    A restart button that reseeds the map, in case of utterly imbalanced starts.
    Moving the +2 Great Artist Social Policy to somewhere before Humanism.
    If the AI suicides their Apostles into my own religious unit, make them realise that and not get mad at me for spreading my religion to their lands. Especially if the attack happens in my own lands.
    Ability to choose number of religions in a game, or at least make it dependant on number of players, rather than size of map.
    Same with city states.
    Greater transparency. Did you know that district cost increases linearly with each tech/civic (not age, individual techs/civic) you acquire? Me neither. And would it kill the game to show how border expansion's doing and where it'll go?
    And lastly. Remember my settings when I create a game. Why do you even have a "reset to default" button if you're gonna reset to default every time I want to make a new game?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Greater transparency. Did you know that district cost increases linearly with each tech/civic (not age, individual techs/civic) you acquire? Me neither. And would it kill the game to show how border expansion's doing and where it'll go?
    Workers also get a cost boost for each one you get. (Not each one you make, get. If you wanted to buy one on the opposite end of your empire but just captured one, too bad, you now get to wait another turn.)

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I really don't understand the rationale behind increasing costs for successive units. It seems spiteful and arbitrary. Why in the world would there be a reverse economy of scale on these things?

Edit: Also, has anyone made use of rangers? I haven't seen them employed in various Let's Plays but I think it would be kind of fun (if less than optimal) to employ a defensive military force of right-hand-upgraded rangers. Attack and disappear into the woods, that sort of thing.
    Last edited by VoxRationis; 2016-11-15 at 02:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Workers probably cost more the more you get because the power of improvements scale up as time goes on. It's probably also because the game wants you to be able to create workers within a reasonable time frame in the early game without also letting you churn them out by the turn in the mid and late game.

Districts, on the other hand, I don't think should scale in cost. It should be enough to make each progressive district building cost more, and they already do. District scaling just makes it prohibitively expensive to get districts later on for fledgeling cities.

Interestingly, I have not seen War Weariness and Warmongering work like some in this thread have described it. I have never gotten war weariness or Warmongering penalties in defensive wars, (unless I go out and turn them into offensive wars). I have had Egypt declare war against me, sent waves of spearmen and chariots which I crushed, and then sued for peace. I have had numerous nations sue for peace after I destroyed enough of their military units without threatening their cities. I wonder if War weariness explosions like those described are happening because you did something earlier to gain war weariness, then had peace for awhile, and the war weariness penalty stays marked in the background to be re-applied when you enter a state of war, to prevent you from declaring rapid series of wars. So it looks like you had war declared upon you and then received an insane amount of war weariness for no reason.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

And the first patch is out! Looks like we've got some decent UI changes, less warmonger penalties (unless you wholly wipe a civ out), new map types, fixing some exploits (Scythia horseman economy), and maybe the AI will actually build modern armies now.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Eh, they still get 2 for one and 50 healing from the looks of things, so they're still broken as f***. That said, I welcome these fixes, I was wondering why Island Plates seemed to have so few mountains on new world.

18. - Top - End - #228

BlackDragon

"Reduced border incursion warnings if the troops are within their own borders." That there on its own is a very welcome change--it always struck me as ridiculous that another civ would warn me about troop buildup on a shared border when I only had 2 units there and they were both on my side!

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems that certain districts gave more of a boost than intended. Holy Sites used to give two food, now they only give one. This... does cut a bit into the value of trade routes. And makes it even more vital to push for industrial districts in all cities, since you can no longer get as strong a boost through trade routes.

Seems like a good patch though. I like it.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm unable to clear out a citrus resource for the Eiffel Tower.

The game is now 100% unplayable.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Does anyone else feel like there should be some way of changing districts from one form to another? It seems kind of odd that a city is required to be so unchanging through history. It's certainly the case that industrial neighborhoods have become residential in many real-life cities, and mechanically, I could see cause for getting rid of a holy site or encampment that outlives its role.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by moossabi View Post

You need to have the right techs, but I can't imagine you getting so far without learning to clear jungles.

Is that tile owned by the city you want to build it? If not, you need to go into citizen management, and use swap to give it to that city. I learned this trying to put a Campus in the middle of a ring of jungles.

As for changing districts, yea, that'd be nice. But it seems like the only way to do that would be to raze the city at the moment.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You need to have the right techs, but I can't imagine you getting so far without learning to clear jungles.

Is that tile owned by the city you want to build it? If not, you need to go into citizen management, and use swap to give it to that city. I learned this trying to put a Campus in the middle of a ring of jungles.
    I can clear jungles; there's a citrus resource in the way though.

I definitely own the tile. I've owned it since the start of the game.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

I can clear jungles; there's a citrus resource in the way though.

I definitely own the tile. I've owned it since the start of the game.
    No, not you.
    Your city, is that tile associated with that city you want to build the wonder with, or another? Can you assign a population to it from that cities' management screen?

If no, then you need to swap it. If yes, then it's bug.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No, not you.
    Your city, is that tile associated with that city you want to build the wonder with, or another? Can you assign a population to it from that cities' management screen?

If no, then you need to swap it. If yes, then it's bug.
    Yes, my capital owns that tile.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Welp, bug then. You might be able to harvest the citris and turn the tile into a standard jungle, then you should be able to build it.

Or, double check Big Ben's building requirements, more modern wonders have stricter requirements which that tile might not meet.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Welp, bug then. You might be able to harvest the citris and turn the tile into a standard jungle, then you should be able to build it.

Or, double check Big Ben's building requirements, more modern wonders have stricter requirements which that tile might not meet.
    A) Eiffel Tower, not Big Ben.

B) There's no jungle involved. It's on flat land adjacent to my capital and I've cleared the improvement that used to be there.

28. - Top - End - #238

BlackDragon

Have you also cleared the resource, though? I think that's a separate action a builder can do rather than building a plantation or whatever.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Does anyone else feel like there should be some way of changing districts from one form to another? It seems kind of odd that a city is required to be so unchanging through history. It's certainly the case that industrial neighborhoods have become residential in many real-life cities, and mechanically, I could see cause for getting rid of a holy site or encampment that outlives its role.
    Or at the very least you should be able to cancel construction of a district to move it. You make a misclick when you place a city and that's it. You're stuck with whatever mistake you made unless you reload.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Bugbear in the Playground

You don't remember your history. Gustav Eiffel nearly brought the Belle Epoque to a close when his hubris destroyed the last grapefruit tree in Europe. In response, Wilhelm II and the rest of the Triple Alliance began militarizing dirigibles with hopes of dropping citrus all over the French countryside. This led to alliances between France, Russia, and Britain, who feared the Lime Tide. It all culminated when Ferdinand's artichokes were foully spritzed with a lemon scented atomizer and then all the world was at war.