New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimisation Challenge in the Playground LXXXI

One idea that I was trying very hard to crowbar into my build was to use a warforged with Shocking Fist and Conductivity. The idea is that Conductivity can technically be used with the self-damage from Shocking Fist (you don't take electricity damage, but Conductivity doesn't specify that you have to take electricity damage—it specifies that you have to take damage from an electricity effect, which is exactly what is happening), but the damage that you dish out by means of Conductivity is puny. Still, puny damage is still a ping of damage, and Serene Guardian is one of the only classes in the game that has a mechanic that triggers off of doing pings of damage without that much regard for how big those pings are. I've always liked the fact that Conductivity and Shocking Fist technically work together (I love turning supposed drawbacks into advantages), but the fact that the damage is so negligible prevented me from ever actually using it before now. Obviously, it didn't make it into the final build at all, but I thought it would have been clever.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since I'm currently home sick and my head isn't aching and I couldn't finish a dish, I'll try to judge. I dusted off my old score matrix, which wasn't used in quite a while. I already glanced at the builds and have 1 build almost finished judging.

Spoiler
    Show

Originality
    Originality comes in two forms: the build and the character as presented in your write up. Please keep in mind that expectation is a big part of originality. If I expected certain classes, tricks or characteristics used, this might differ from the expectations of other judges.

5 points:You blew my mind. The presented dish is an original build idea merged with an interesting character concept.
    4 points:Either your build or your character concept are original. Either or both are above Iron Chef standards (as perceived by me).
    3 points:Your build is known, but you used it in a surprising way OR Your build is well known, the presented character makes up for it by being particularly interesting. Your dish is what I expect when reading an Iron Chef entry.
    2 points:Your dish is an interesting build, but not a character OR Your build is a well known stub with something sprinkled over it.
    1 point:Your dish is a well known build and is only a build, not a character.

Power
    I'm judging dishes regarding power asking myself two questions: Are you consistently powerful from level 1-20? What role(s) are you trying to excel at?

5 points:You have more than one trick. You are excellent at what you do from level 1-20.
    4 points:You excel at multiple roles but need some time to get there.
    3 points:You are a well rounded addition to any party at any level OR You fulfill multiple roles and are more than decent at them OR You have some dead levels before starting to shine.
    2 points:You have one trick and you are really good at it.
    1 point:You have one trick and are not even good at that one.

Elegance
    Is always tricky. Illegal builds are judged as Elegance 1. Flawless builds are a 5. Elegance starts at 3 and increases and decreases happen from there. Here are some clues, what I look for:
    What I'd like to see:
    Clean builds, where you qualify for everything without using questionable stuff. I won't penalize dips, but a 5/10/5 or similar will probably score higher. A high score means your build flows nicely. Feats, Classes and Class abilities work together. Nothing seems to have been added just to get power or originality. You are welcome at any table.

What I don't like:
    If you depend on Wishloops, Shapechange shenanigans, Chaos shuffle, etc. expect heavy deductions. If I can't figure out what some of your tricks are due to a poor write up, expect a deduction. A low score means your build is hard to read or seems to be consisting of different parts glued together or is using questionable mechanics. Certain groups or GMs might refuse to allow you to sit down at their table. The build relies on equipment a lot.

UotSI
    Illegal entry means UotSI 1. As Elegance UotSI starts at three. The following questions are considered:
    When do you enter the SI?
    What use do you make of the SI's class abilities, BAB, saves, skills?
    Would another (Prestige) Class be better for your build?
    Is the SI the centerpiece of your build?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, fast turnaround. Thanks, Korahir!
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

4. - Top - End - #124

Pretty much judged all day long. I am currently at 6 of 8, almost 7 done though I will need to go over everything at least once more. I am a little rusty and proof reading every feat, ACF and preq is a lot in this round.

5. - Top - End - #125

Sorry for the double post. I have finished. Don't worry, they weren't done hasty, so far it took me 15 hours. I will be gone over the weekend and I am not sure how often I can look into the forum the next week. So please be patient if my answer to disputes takes a while.

What i want to say beforehand: that was an awesome round to judge. Very diverse, very interesting concepts and a lot of neat ideas.

Notes on judging:

Base Originality is scored right after reading or glancing over the build.
    Then i read thoroughly and take notes. These notes I later add into the judging criteria, bigger ones as spoiler tags.
    Power is a little tricky this time as Serene guardian is godawful. I tried to use my matrix (see post above) and explain detours from it. Diversity (meaning multiple roles like scouting, fighting, etc.) with this SI is especially awarded.
    For Elegance i added to my matrix something along of craftiness. Multiple sources used for an interesting combination i.e.

UotSI
    Early entry +0,5
    finishing SI +0,5
    Resonance used reliably and class features used +0,5
    fits thematically i.e.: hunting down evils, monk progression, alignment, skill selection +0,5
    Negative modifiers almost only appear when there i no point in taking more levels of the SI in some cases even any at all.

Spirit of all pointy things: 14,25

Spoiler
    Show

Originality: 4
    jermlaine, wilderness rogue was unexpected. Sniper focussed build thanks to the find of fukimi-bari, which is an awesome find(seriously: how? :D). I expected a lot of multiple shots/volleys per round but not mouth darts.
    All in all: a concept not expected by me.
    Base score: 4
    Adjustements after reading: None that influence Originality.

Power: 2,252,5
    You fulfill multiple roles (sneaky, scout, damage) and you are decent at them. Base: 3
    The score is explained in detail in the spoiler.
    Spoiler: details
    Show

Your main damage trick is vulnerable to DR and denial of sneak attack. DR is a huge problem. -0,75 -0,5
    Max damage is: 1+5d6= 18,5 on average on a single dart. That is dangerously close to 15 damage and DR:15 is encountered later on a regular basis. If sneak attack is denied and the opponent has DR, literally no damage can be done. Not even debuffs can be applied. That is very problematic.

Scouting(spot and listen) becomes a minor problem. +-0
    spot and listen stop at +13 Wisdom is +3. +16 is alright but nothing outstanding. Early on you keep on par, falls off later. You may have trouble in detecting your sniper targets.

1 Strength is troublesome -0,5
    Spoiler: Encumbrance is very problematic
    Show

That's a massive problem: You may not be able to carry important things. Your limit is: 25lb to push or drag. 5Lb is a heavy load, 1,5 lb is leight load. Your suggestion of a tower shield is impossible even in form of a mithral tower shield: although armor for tiny creatures is never described, let's assume it is half the weight of small creatures: therefore a tiny mithral tower shield weighs 5,625 lb. (1/8 of a medium one). That is more than your heavy load. That is only a minor point as the suggestion isn't vital at all but encumbrance can be a pain if looked at by the gm. So you need to invest in handy haversacks early, but o boy they weigh 5 lb so 1,25 for a tiny one. Leaving you with 0,25 lb for your main trick: fukimi-bari.
    Let's do some math: you can carry 60 (1 weighs 0,025lb) fukimi bari when you carry nothing else and still want to not bear yourself with a medium load. Assuming you want to carry any magic items, this number goes south very very quickly. Tiny robes are very leightweighted but still weigh 0,25lb. for you. That is 10 fukimi bari less. Tiny cloaks weigh 0.5 lb., 20 fukimi bari less. This is where your build gets close to not playable as you have to rely heavily on magic items to pick up your lacking strength but you even have trouble carrying those magic items. So your source of flight and perception eats heavily in encumbrance. The suggested shackles also weigh 0,5 lb. So the problem I want to show you: you will run out of ammunition in the early game and have to carefully plan your magic equipment later.

Hide and move silently is excellent. + 0,5
    +8 from tiny +7 DEX right from the start is excellent. Although sniping is -20, your chances are high of staying hidden once you can take 10. Earlier it may be a problem against Wisdom based enemies and monsters with high spot ranks and you never get Hide in plain sight but overall this is the cornerstone of your build and holds up very nicely.

Range and reloading +-0
    I am a little sceptical about the range increment of the fukimi-bari combined with a sniper build and the rules for reloading aren't written down. So some GMs may frown on your 3 darts per round every round, but I'm fine with it and I feel most GMs would.

Elegance: 4,25
    Base: 3
    Charisma miscalculated (racial should be -4 so starts at 4.), which is a very minor thing. -0,25
    Very clean build (10/10), all things cited. You qualify for everything. +1
    EWP requirement of 1 BAB hurts your build a little but this is more of a power thing and I don't feel another penalty is needed here. +-0
    Sly use of rogue ACFs: disruptive attack is okay, death's ruin is obligatory. +-0
    Fukimi-bari is an awesome find +0,5

UotSI: 3,5
    You enter late but finish the class.+0,5
    More levels of sneak attack would help more than full serene guardian progression. -0,5
    Resonance can be created reliably and the class features help the build to achieve its goal, either death by a thousand cuts via Damagin or traumatic release more than soul release or debuffing hell( Sickening Strike and Terrifying strike are great with Serene Guardian. Arterial strike is okay, may be excellent in certain situations.). +0,5

Ben Neru of the Crab clan, the Imperceptible Skulk: 14,5
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality: 3
    Monk was expected, Psychic warrior is not really a surprise even though it is used without Tashalatora. Strongheart halfling is an Iron Chaf staple and complements the build. All in all just what i expect of an entry.
    Base score: 3
    Adjustements after reading: None. I expected a Trip build but you found something else but nothing groundbreaking new.

Power: 3,25
    Base: 3 You are a well rounded addition to any party at any level

Weapon finesse +1 BAB preq hurts your build a little. Making those first two levels even harder. Astral vambraces help tanking damage, but your damage output suffers greatly -0,25

Evasive Reflexes and confound the big folk is nice. Shadow blade helps a lot regarding damage. I like the Dexterity SADness later on and I think you can contribute to the game at every level. I see two contributions: Scouting and your combat prowess. The later comes online in later levels, when scouting falls off a little (explained in spoiler). +0,5
    Spoiler
    Show

Skills: Total is according to my count: hide 23, jump 13, tumble 23, autohypnosis 3, move silently 11, spot 11. This means to me you are very combat focused as your scouting ability is not really outstanding. You can hide well, but spot is neglected after level 9. Your invisibility also only lasts 1 round, so no long term invisibitly scouting. Damage early on may be a problem: small size and negative strength modifier.
    So the trade off is: Early levels your damage suffers, late game your scouting suffers. Overall the positive aspects are in sleight favour.

Open lesser chakra requires 15 CON. Not really a problem as with level 18 a CON booster should be available. I am not to sure of gloom razor. Is it really worth it to pick it up over the multiple possible benefits of Astral Construct Menu A? +-0

Elegance: 4,25
    Very clean build with a single dip. +1

I listed your monk sub levels, correct me if I am wrong:
    1st level is Hin Disciple, 2nd is invisible fist, 3rd is dark moon disciple, 4th regular monk, 5th is planar monk, 6th is regular monk, 7th is dark moon disciple, 8th is regular monk and 9th is invisible fist.
    There are minor things regarding picking all these: -0,25
    Spoiler: Thoughts about that monk progression
    Show

Hin Disciple + Dark Moon Disciple: Dark moon requires patron deity Shar(NE). That's a minor issue especially given the fluff requirements for serene guardian. Also you have to be a member in both organisations, both of which may concern some GMs. Then there's the Hin Disciple fallacy: 6th level bonus feat. Level 1 dictates that you don't get a 6th level bonus feat, but what happens when you never pick up the 6th level as a Hin Disciple? Personally I think: you're a monk have all the feats you want and I also couldn't care less about Shar and mixing organisations, but then again I am not everyone and these things may cause a problem at other tables.

Invisible fist is of course maybe the best thing that ever happend to a monk and I like your craftiness in putting all those monk ACFs together as well as mixing TOB, MOI, Psionics and the other sources into a well crafted build. +0,5

UotSI: 4
    You enter late but finish the class. +0,5
    Resonance can be created reliably and class features complement the build. +0,5
    I think it would be justified to leave the SI after 8 levels in your case as soul release is horrible and you don't benefit at all from unclouded mind. The monk progression of the SI is used. +-0

Guru Lahima: 11,511,75

Spoiler
    Show

Originality: 4,5
    Dragon Shaman and Incarnate? I like it.
    Adjustements after reading: I expected someone to try auras, didn't think of that combination and then the passive way in the backstory. Suprising. +0,5

Power: 2
    Base score: 2 You have one trick and you are good at it, which is tanking damage and punishing melee attacks. Your soulmelds could help you fulfill more roles but you don'T have the skill points to do so.
    Your main trick is vulnerable to reach weapons, ranged attacks and fire resistance/immunities. The score is explained in detail in the spoiler. -0,5
    Spoiler: more detailed notes
    Show

Energy aura: avoided by ranged and reach weapons.
    Mantle of flame: avoided by ranged and reach weapons.
    Holocaust cloak: avoided by ranged and reach weapons.
    Winter mask: cold immunity is a problem.
    Furious counterstrike says: During your turn, so it doesn't trigger with your auras when you are attacked but it triggers with Damaging and Traumatic Release.
    How much weight can you pull if you are not attacked?

Crusader's Indomitable soul is wasted. +/- 0
    Burning Brand picked up as a preq for Holocaust cloak. Not to sure if it really works with Winter mask, but doesn't really matter. +/- 0
    Out of combat Soulmelds offer some versatility, Skills are pretty much nonexistent. Miniomancy is always a plus, you are limited to 6 HD though. These add up to + 0,5

Elegance: 3 3,25
    The build is crafty for using multiple sources of auras and trying to combine them +0,5 but two mistakes were made and I am confused on two parts of the build.

Confusions: +- 0
    Wall of blades: why? Attack roll is terrible when you pick it up. I guess you couldn't spare a later feat slot. Is it a preq? I feel like i missed something.
    Skills: Why do you pick up ranks in Balance, Heal, Tumble and Intimidate? Did I miss some preqs for the maneuvers?

Mistakes: -0,50,25
    Soulsight: concentration 4 ranks is preq. It can be switched with necrocarnum acolyte though which you seem to have missed.
    Double chakra needs meldshaper level 9th. You have only 6 levels of Incarnate therefor your meldshaper level is only 6.

UotSI: 2
    Here is where your build falls a little short for me: You enter late and finish the SI but my issue is: there is no point for you to take more than a few levels if any at all. The triple aura trick is neat but against a ranged enemy the SI offers you almost nothing (Perfect BAB, good fort and reflex save). One level of Serene Guardian would add a nice debuff option to your aura trick.The 1 bonus damage on damaging and traumatic release of Furious Counterstrike is in no way worth the levels in Serene guardian. Literally everyone that doesn't prefer melee and even worse, everyone that actively avoids attacking you, renders Serene Guardian useless. Other builds can actively try to build up Resonance, you have to rely on stupidity or generosity of the GM to that. -1

Bobo McShootiepants: 13,25
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality: 2,5
    Human is of course always expected. VOP+Kensai+Soulbow not so much. I thought there would be a lot of Splitting Archers. All in all: quite what I expected. Usual build up of soul blade 2 /x 3 / soulbow x / kensai x. Human + the name cause me to deduct 0,5 points. Sorry but is Bobo Mcshootiepants really the best you could come up with?
    Base score: 2,5
    Adjustements after reading: None.

Base score: 4 You fulfill multiple roles (sneaky, scout, damage) and you are excellent at two of them.
    Your damage can ramp up quickly with power surge and knowledge devotion and all the other enhancements. Your scouting is excellent (a lot of love for listen via feats). Your stealth is mediocre. These three elevate your base score to 4.

Your Constitution is pretty bad. -0,5
    Con 8: I don't quite get why you don't take VOP increases earlier in Con. Of course you can survive but you are not a master of stealth, you are average in that regard. Con 8 might cost you deerly even though your Hit Dice is a d10 until you enter Serene Guardian. Your FORT save is horrible (at level 10: +4).

Wisdom SADness makes me happy although i think shiba protector would have been possible to enter with all the bonus feats and already being human. +-0
    Vow of Poverty may hurt you in the long run as it is simply alyways better to be able to choose and purchase items than get fixed boni. -0,25

Elegance: 3
    You qualify for everything and your build follows a well known but very smooth pattern. +0,5

Minor issues:
    Spoiler: The Soulknife/Soulbow/Kensai discussion -0,25:
    Show

The Kensai needs a weapon to bond too. Mind arrows are not of permanent nature as they dissolve after firing. So you write:
    Three levels of Kensai is enough to add the Splitting ability to your mind arrows.
    Generally the consensus is: Kensai works with Soulbow but be mindful of those who argue against that by saying dissolved Mind arrows count as destroyed therefor you need to enchant them again (I know it renders Kensai unusable for Soulbows, but GMs enforcing this are out there). Generally builds don't fall apart if someone rules this, as one could simply purchase a +1 (comp. +x) longbow and add the Splitting ability but you took VoP so any bow you pick up becomes a magic weapon. All in all: SoulBow + Kensai may cause trouble although it is considered RAW legal. So it is not especially elegant.

Intuitive attack: works only with simple weapons not martial weapons: mind blade is a short sword, therefor a martial weapon. -0,25
    Gift of Discernment: Is in players guide to faerun and not in BoED. Too my knowledge it is not an exalted feat but is it in any way helpful to your build?? +-0

Spoiler: Planar Touchstone: +-0
    Show

you are a little vague in your description but you write later:
    By 20th level, 5 attacks per round are Splitting into 10 (which might get Planar Touchstoned into 20)
    which leads me you believe your attacks double. I strongly disagree:
    Base Ability: Choose a weapon with which you are profi
    cient. If you can catch an opponent when he is unable to
    defend himself effectively from your attack (i.e., fl at-footed)
    with your chosen weapon, you can make an additional free
    attack at your base attack bonus –5. You can make this
    extra attack during any round that you can make multiple
    attacks, but only with your chosen weapon type. This
    means that if you are of a high enough level to make additional
    attacks (you have at least a +6 or higher base attack
    bonus), you could make two additional attacks at your base
    attack bonus –5.

This means you get one extra attack at -5 BAB. Nothing more.

UotSI: 4,5
    You enter late and finish the SI . +0,5
    Serene guardian complements the build but it is not the centerpiece of it. +-0
    Thematically you fit right in Serene guardian. Excellent scout, exalted feats en masse. +0,5
    Resonance can be created very reliably thanks to Splitting. +0,5

Opsablepsia: 11,75
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality: 5
    Binder into Gaze attacks? I'm intrigued. 8 levels of Binder most of all got my attention.
    Base score: 5
    Adjustements after reading: None. This build looks like you try actively to go out of the way to be creative. Even picking thematic Stances (Iron Guard's Glare).

Power: 2
    Base score: 2 You have one trick and you are really good at it.

You invest a lot to get Gaze attacks. I think it is too much for to little in return. Especially the Binder levels don't add up if in the end all you use is two gaze attacks for 2d6 damage each. All in all the one trick you are really good at is actually pretty bad. -0,5
    Show

Balam: Icy Glare: Will save negates. 2d6 cold damage- Cold Resistance/Immunity is an issue. Range: 30 feet.
    Geryon: Acidic Glare: Will save negates.2d6 acid damage- Acid Resistance/Immunity is an issue. Range defaults to 30 feet.
    Spoiler: Sidenote on gazes:
    Show

gaze attacks only as standard actions: because vestige abilities that don't state their actions default to standard actions. Some DMs have therefor deemed all gaze attacks in TOM Standard actions. I'd say they are free actions, but this may be up for discussions.

Preq for both is easy enough but Will negates is big. Save is 10+4+CHAmodifier+2(irres. Gaze).
    Scorching Ray Gaze: 1d6 fire damage on a 10+½ HD+Con+2(irres. Gaze) Fort Save. 30 feet.
    Range increases at level 18 to 60 feet for all three.
    Big weakness: this is low damage and monsters or characters who simply accept fighting blind or attack from greater range (30 ft. until level 18 than 60 ft.) avoid the gazes. I am pretty sure you lose a game of rocket tag very very quickly and so you have to rely on your entangling breath and flight to keep you away from Hulk Smash Thingies.

Breath weapon: AoE damage and entangling is very nice of course. Especially with Flight as a racial feature. Probelm can be immunities/resisances. +0,5

Iron Guard's Glare: stance is okay but I don't get the synergy with your gaze attacks other than thematically. If someone is really in trouble vs the gaze attacks they would usually close their eyes and/or run away. Why do you want them to attack you? You are in no way capable of withstanding a beatstick. +-0

Duel of the Wills is alright but nothing especially helpful.+-0

Elegance: 3,25
    Your build is very smooth for 19 levels and it is overall very crafty. +1
    Your argument for qualifying for elemental grafter is a little dubious. -0,25
    Show

If a supernatural ability granted by a vestige mimics the
    effect of a spell or shadow magic mystery, the caster level
    of that ability is always equal to a binder’s effective binder
    level.
    The caster level is described as belonging to the ability not the binder. It is equal to the binder's effective binder level. This means to me, binder don't have a caster level, their abilities have. I can see an interpretation the other way though.

The tucked on swordsage level renders a class feature of the SI useless (unclouded mind). Picking it up earlier in between and dropping maybe even 4 levels of serene guardian would have made more sense (although not entering the SI can also be strongly argued see UotSI). -0,25
    Double immunity to fear (binder and SI) isn't well crafted either. -0,25

UotSI: 1,5
    You enter late and finish the SI but my issue is : there is no point for you to take more than a few levels if any at all. -1,5
    Show

The class has zero Charisma synergy. Capstone is Wisdombased (and utter garbage), why take it?
    Unclouded mind is okay but you can get almost the same thing by picking up Moment of perfect mind which you do at level 20. Reliably building up Resonance with the different gaze attacks works only against melee enemies. BAB is not important to your build. Monk progression or bonus feat isn't either and the Resonance debuffs are in no way worth the class. Wouldn't you profit way more if you pick a class that's focussed on withstanding attacks and buffing your breath weapon or gaze attacks?
    Thematically there is also a weakness: All Tanar'ri have resistance 10 to Acid, Fire and Cold. That is quite the problem for a quasi demon hunter (finding roots of evil in a once demon plagued land) with your gaze attacks.

Verelka Thunderfoot: 15,75

Spoiler
    Show

Originality: 4
    Pretty much IC standard material: dragonborn human is a little more odd than human. I expected monk+totemist, but not so many monk levels. The Psion dip is something new.
    Adjustements after reading: As soon as I saw jump, I looked for sudden leap but you did find something else, I never heard of before. Mantis Leap and boy do you abuse it. +1

Power: 4,5
    Base score: 4 Although you are not diverse or fulfill multiple roles, the one trick you pull off is insanely strong.

It takes some time to build up the attack cheese. More precisely 9 levels. Mantis Leap is the whole point of the build. Now I understand the 7 levels of monk. -0,5
    Dimension Hop+ Synchronicity: very nice combo which you're able to use in multiple ways. +0,5
    Your damage scales insanely later on and your mention things to account for weaknesses like DR +0,5

Elegance: 3,25
    Your build is very well crafted and you offer solutions for a lot of things and although i had to read up a lot i couldn't find glaring holes. +1
    Funny enough two builds in a row use the rite of rebirth to retrain a class feat. Retraining Shield proficiency is RAW legal but surely cheesy. Also your argument of using Mantis leap jump after dimension hop is also pretty cheesy but I see the way you do. Still, I smell GM rage. -0,25

There is one mistake : monk cannot be progressed after you picked up another class (PHB p. 42). Same rule as with paladins (most useless rule ever but it is there). So rearranging the monk levels and totemist levels has to be done. -0,5

UotSI: 4

You enter late and finish the SI. +0,5
    You use the monk progression, trigger a lot of resonance very reliably and you benefit of the general chassis. Unclouded mind and Immune to fear are relevant. Staggering release is relevant to slow enemies to 10 ft. +0,5
    Traumatic und Damaging release are not so relevant as your overall damage is enough to kill pretty much everyone. Soul release: I don't buy into your enthusiasm, nobody stands 4 rounds next to you. +-0

Zirella Stormfire: 8,5
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality: 2
    Base score: 2
    Human and Cloistered Cleric Dip and DMM persist.... Well at least Wu jen and divine bard intrigues me and lyric thaumaturge seems interesting enough. This redeems this build a little. Already wondering why you would pick up Serne Guardian though, especially with bard and the alignment restriction.
    Adjustements after reading: None. DMM persisting two daggers is new, still not enough to adjust.

Power: 3,5
    DMM persist thaumathurge means you are very capable in multiple roles and you are set to shine in all of them.

But here are the problems:
    Your main trick doesn't work the way you wrote it should. You are still somewhat capable without it although you miss spells that are really worth persisting and you have ten dead levels called Serene guardian. So powerwise you fall behind after level 9. -0,5

Elegance: 2

A lot of minor mistakes and a very big one.

Minor typo in the point buy: Wisdom 12 is 4 points. +-0
    Alignment is illegal to enter Serene guardian (has to be lawful). No penalty here, but in UotSI
    You don't qualify for Born of the three Thunders because you only have 1 rank in Knowledge (nature) but need 4 ranks. -0,25

Melodic casting as a preq hurts when a class later has a concentration class feature and you invest ranks in concentration. -0,25

I really, really don't like another DMM persist buffed guy, at least it is used for an interesting spell. Sanctum Spell cheese on top. Fighter dip doesn't help either in Elegance. Is more a personal flavour thing, therefor not a big deal scoring wise. +-0

The Born of the Three Thunders reads: the spell concludes with a mighty....: I always discarded the feat as very hard to use because this means your persistent flame daggers will cause the fort and reflex save after 24 hours. The spell has to end(conclude) to add the effects. Your assumption of: every time they hit, the target has to make a Fort save vs. stunned for 1 round and a Ref save vs. knocked prone is not true. You simply are able to make touch attacks and deal some minor electricity damage. So your main trick - while neat - isn't RAW legal or more precise works very different that you think it does. -0,5

UotSI: 1
    You enter late and finish the SI but why you enter at all is the question. You say so yourself that it is pretty much pointless and the usual suspects (sublime chord, abjurant champion) would make more sense. So all in all even if your trick involving Born of the three Thunders would work there is simply no reason to enter Serene Guardian. On top your alignment is illegal for Serene Guardian which means a score of 1 as you fail to qualify for the prestige class.

The blessed third 14,25
    Spoiler
    Show

Originality: 2,75
    Ranger Monk Warblade. Now this is exactly what I expected a lot of. But you are the only Ranger and the only Warblade. Human again. Your name and (very short) backstory give me something unique and interesting. And then there's decisive strike and you got my attention. All in all IC standard.
    Adjustements after reading:
    I hoped there would be a little more spice in the build but my initial hype about decisive strike in a round where multiple attacks are key is quenched early. With that and no suprises in the build and human I deduct -0,25

Base 3: You are a well rounded addition to any party at any level.
    Reliable Damage output as you are in no way forced to knock down enemies. You can use pretty much any combat technique except archery. +0,5
    Skills fall off quickly. As soon as you enter Warblade your Spot role suffers and Knowledge (plane) as a niche expertise stops also. Role is combat only. -0,5
    Catch up potential with sudden leap and it is hard to move away from you. +0,25
    Can you deal 10 damage early? Guess this is why you chose decisive strike? You recommend two handed weapon. hard against DR targets but reliable enough. -+0

Elegance: 3,75
    Build is very smooth, nothing remotely dubious or questionable. Qualify for everything. +1
    Why does your INT decrease to 9 at level 4? I guess it is a typo. -0,25

Double hit – knock down combination. Worth the feat? Maybe, regarding resonance. Still feel their could be something better out there. +-0
    The late improved Initiative feat feels bland but it is a limited list. +-0

UotSI: 4,5
    You enter quite early (earliest possible when going monk) and finish the SI. +1
    The build makes good use of resonance, max concentration for unclouded mind. +0,5
    I couldn't agree more on your perception of the capstone ability, using it on prisoners may be the best idea possible. +-0
    For a perfect score I would have liked the skills more polished to Serene Guardian (Either Spot, listen or hide, ms in addition to concentration?). +-0

Edit: adjusted scores after first disputes.
    Last edited by Korahir; 2016-10-26 at 09:57 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Somewhat out-topic, but have you guys ever used Urban Soul as an ingredient? Cause there are way too many past comps to check every single one(unlike the Villain Comp).
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Somewhat out-topic, but have you guys ever used Urban Soul as an ingredient? Cause there are way too many past comps to check every single one(unlike the Villain Comp).
    First post: all ingredients are listed and yes it was used in IC XLIV.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Verelka Thunderfoot: 16,75
    The sum of the individual sections is 15,75?
    Last edited by Bucky; 2016-10-22 at 11:16 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Korahir View Post
    Ctrl+F is a wonderful tool.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Korahir View Post
    Drat. I actually had a good idea for a build that also included Cragtop Archer.

Oh well, at least I could use it for the webcomic I'm making... if I make it that far that is.

Since I've already cluttered up this thread too much, PM me if you're going to talk about it.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Scores After One Judge

Entry Place Korahir Total
    Verelka Thunderfoot (link) Gold 15.75 15.75
    Ben Neru of the Crab clan (link) Silver 14.5 14.5
    The blessed third (link) Bronze 14.25 14.25
    The Spirit of All Pointy Things (link) Bronze 14.25 14.25
    Bobo McShootiepants (link) Fifth 13.25 13.25
    Obsblepsia (link) Sixth 11.75 11.75
    Guru Lahima (link) Sixth 11.75 11.5
    Zirella Stormfire (link) Eighth 8.5 8.5

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

We have a brace of disputes for your delight and delectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru Lahima
    A few clarifications to clear up your confusion.

Wall of Blades is chosen because there are some attacks it's simply not beneficial to get struck by, such as ranged and reach weapons. Attack bonus isn't great when I have it but it picks up, and most other feats are tied to later levels. Levels in Heal and Intimidate are for mild utility, 5 in Balance is to negate being flatfooted when balancing. Tumble also to try to avoid attacks you don't want (which you can boost with Acrobat Boots). While I don't have the skill points to fulfill many roles, that's what soulmelds are for, there's plenty more I didn't mention because they aren't vital to the core trick.

You have me dead to rights on Soulsight, but I do qualify for Double Chakra using the meldshaper level provided by Shape Soulmeld, half HD. Sorry I didn't explain that.

As for the vulnerabilities of the build:
    While cold immunity will negate the offensive effect of winter mask, the point of having winter mask is to have a source of attack for maneuvers to use, so that I can heal myself and others.
    The auras indeed only function on adjacent, which is why there are counters built in for this. First, as mentioned the Fellmist Robe imposes a miss chance on any nonadjacent attack. Second, Wall of Blades can be used to deflect these attacks. Third, because full attacks aren't necessary to the build, I can simply move adjacent to the enemy (Tumble away from the AoO), and if necessary use staggering release to keep them from moving away.

As for the point of taking more levels in the SI, it's to have more things to do with resonance. Damage from it is fine, but confusion and reducing speed to 0 are of particular use in combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of All Pointy Things
    Originality

No disputes.

Power

It is by default assumed that Iron Chef builds will have level-appropriate equipment: this prevents people penalizing martials for not having flight or important immunities while also making the creation of character sheets easier.

In other words: the Spirit can be assumed to have whatever equipment it needs to function properly. If it, for one, chose to buy three +1 Returning Shocking mouth darts (cost: 54000 GP, so affordable from level 11 on), it'd be dealing damage against all creatures except those who are immune to sneak attack and immune to fire and have DR. Further enchantments, such as Shadow Striking and Frost, would ensure even less creatures can't be hurt.

Even if despite all this, the spirit is still unable to hurt a particular foe, it can at least reduce its AC by 5 each round. That's pretty huge if it has any martial allies: a 25% greater chance to hit is a 25% damage boost for all relevant allies.

Encumbrance is similarly solved by assuming magical equipment. Using only three darts mean the Spirit now has a lot of room for other equipment. The tower shield is indeed hard to use at early levels, but at higher ones a +1 Animated tower shield (9315 GP) is easily affordable and gives cover all the same. A Belt of the Wide Earth (8000 GP) doubles carrying capacity, and the Spirit isn't doing anything with its waist slot anyway.

Finally, reloading. The Returning property explicitly points out the thrown weapons can be used again next turn, so the logical thing would be to assume the spirit can quickly pop them back into its mouth.

Elegance

No disputes.

UoSI

I'd argue more sneak attack makes this build better at one thing, against one kind of enemy. Sure, it increases damage, but damage is less useful at higher levels.

Opponents that flee or have fast healing can just shrug off regular sneak attacks, but they have no way of removing resonance. Sure, Death of a Thousand Cuts as Serene Guardian encourages takes longer, but with a hiding build that'll barely be targeted, who cares?
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

13. - Top - End - #133

A few clarifications to clear up your confusion.

Wall of Blades is chosen because there are some attacks it's simply not beneficial to get struck by, such as ranged and reach weapons. Attack bonus isn't great when I have it but it picks up, and most other feats are tied to later levels. Levels in Heal and Intimidate are for mild utility, 5 in Balance is to negate being flatfooted when balancing. Tumble also to try to avoid attacks you don't want (which you can boost with Acrobat Boots). While I don't have the skill points to fulfill many roles, that's what soulmelds are for, there's plenty more I didn't mention because they aren't vital to the core trick.
    Skills: Thanks for the clarification. Interesting choices. Yeah soulmelds help you diversify your role, thats why you did get a bonus to power.
    Wall of blades: okay, just as I thought then. A little skeptical still about the usefulness but I can see where you come from and would like to see in action.
    no adjustment

You have me dead to rights on Soulsight, but I do qualify for Double Chakra using the meldshaper level provided by Shape Soulmeld, half HD. Sorry I didn't explain that.
    No need to apologize I should have checked the shape soulmeld feat myself to see what meldshaper level it gives. I assumed it would default to the meldshaper level of Incarnate. Sorry for that mistake.
    Elegance: +0,25

As for the vulnerabilities of the build:
    While cold immunity will negate the offensive effect of winter mask, the point of having winter mask is to have a source of attack for maneuvers to use, so that I can heal myself and others.
    The auras indeed only function on adjacent, which is why there are counters built in for this. First, as mentioned the Fellmist Robe imposes a miss chance on any nonadjacent attack. Second, Wall of Blades can be used to deflect these attacks. Third, because full attacks aren't necessary to the build, I can simply move adjacent to the enemy (Tumble away from the AoO), and if necessary use staggering release to keep them from moving away.
    Fellmist Robe and Wall of Blades try to cover a weakness but I think they cannot fully cover the weakness. The tumble move is only half speed and you only have a total of +10 so you need soulmelds to boost that too. I don't think that these things can cover the real problem: simply ignore you at all. +17 BAB and 13 Str at level 20. At low levels the BAB is worse. I don't think your enough of a threat in melee to be focused. Sadly there are no ( or very few) taunt options in DnD.
    no adjustment

As for the point of taking more levels in the SI, it's to have more things to do with resonance. Damage from it is fine, but confusion and reducing speed to 0 are of particular use in combat.
    Yeah two nice things indeed, but 10 levels in Crusader would do a lot more. Of course the point of this contest is to take horrible classes but in your case the reasoning is pretty weak in my opinion.
    no adjustment

Power

It is by default assumed that Iron Chef builds will have level-appropriate equipment: this prevents people penalizing martials for not having flight or important immunities while also making the creation of character sheets easier.

In other words: the Spirit can be assumed to have whatever equipment it needs to function properly. If it, for one, chose to buy three +1 Returning Shocking mouth darts (cost: 54000 GP, so affordable from level 11 on), it'd be dealing damage against all creatures except those who are immune to sneak attack and immune to fire and have DR. Further enchantments, such as Shadow Striking and Frost, would ensure even less creatures can't be hurt.
    Encumbrance is similarly solved by assuming magical equipment. Using only three darts mean the Spirit now has a lot of room for other equipment. The tower shield is indeed hard to use at early levels, but at higher ones a +1 Animated tower shield (9315 GP) is easily affordable and gives cover all the same. A Belt of the Wide Earth (8000 GP) doubles carrying capacity, and the Spirit isn't doing anything with its waist slot anyway.
    Magic items and encumbrance: I did assume the spirit uses returning mouth darts and of course picks up magic items to counter encumbrance but these all eat into the budget. Do you really want to spend 8000 GP for doubling your carrying capacity? Martials need items to cover weaknesses like flight and immunities as you mentioned. You created more of those weaknesses to be covered, that is where I see problems. Of course your entire build works in the late game and you can spend 9315 GP for a animated tower shield because you have enough GP but early on relying on the right item drops or enough GP to buy the items you need is a problem.
    no adjustment

Even if despite all this, the spirit is still unable to hurt a particular foe, it can at least reduce its AC by 5 each round. That's pretty huge if it has any martial allies: a 25% greater chance to hit is a 25% damage boost for all relevant allies.
    Finally, reloading. The Returning property explicitly points out the thrown weapons can be used again next turn, so the logical thing would be to assume the spirit can quickly pop them back into its mouth.
    Reloading: My remarks about GM frowning regarded non anchanted mouth darts which means your early levels.
    Why is -5 AC a 25% greater chance to hit? This is only true for AC 20. Let's just say -5 AC makes it a lot easier to hit a target and 25% is an estimation I can live with. It is a nice addition to cover a weakness. I did write: Not even debuffs can be applied which is wrong regarding disruptive attack. On a second thought i think the 0,75 penalty is too harsh, because of disruptive attack. So:
    Power: +0,25

UoSI

I'd argue more sneak attack makes this build better at one thing, against one kind of enemy. Sure, it increases damage, but damage is less useful at higher levels.

Opponents that flee or have fast healing can just shrug off regular sneak attacks, but they have no way of removing resonance. Sure, Death of a Thousand Cuts as Serene Guardian encourages takes longer, but with a hiding build that'll barely be targeted, who cares?
    What is your plan vs opponents that automatically succeed the Fort save or are immune to death effects? Both of which is likely for opponents that shrug off your damage. Or do you mean by Death of a thousand cuts literally pinging them to death 1 damage at a time with damaging/traumatic release? This would take a very, very long time. Usually opponents start to change their strategy in that case and above CR 10 they usually have some magic to flee or adjust to unusual threats.
    no adjustment

I have adjusted the scores in my post before.
    Last edited by Korahir; 2016-10-26 at 09:57 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any other judges? daremetoidareyou said he'd promised to judge, but has been kinda quiet since then.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Are there any other judges? daremetoidareyou said he'd promised to judge, but has been kinda quiet since then.
    Judged one so far. Prolly won't finish until next Monday.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

That still puts us on schedule. Woot for 2 judges!
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

A suggestion: how about making Arcane Archer the next ingredient?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    A suggestion: how about making Arcane Archer the next ingredient?
    I am drawing a real blank for arcane archer.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Which makes it a perfect ingredient! Think about it: annoying prerequisites that can be fulfilled in various ways, lots of flavorful but weak class features, and a reputation for sub-optimality. What more could Iron Chefs wish for?
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-10-27 at 09:35 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Which makes it a perfect ingredient! Think about it: annoying prerequisites that can be fulfilled in various ways, lots of flavorful but weak class features, and a reputation for sub-optimality. What more could Iron Chefs wish for?
    You can't quite optimize four 1/day abilities(easily replicated by spells), and neither can you optimize a +5 to attack with a caster build, so I guess it would be kinda hard.

Though, it may just end up being as flavorful as Cipher Adept or Drunken Master.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. I could have sworn that Arcane Archer had been an ingredient already. Bizarre. Maybe there were some interesting entries in other rounds that used AA?

Anyway, I'm also drawing a blank for AA. All the well-known abuses of Imbue Arrow are, y'know, well-known, and as has been stated, 1/day abilities (particularly ones as weaksauce as AA's abilities) aren't really fertile ground for optimization. I mean, knowing us, I'm sure there'd be some crazy entry that shines despite how incredibly boring AA is, but in general, since every level after 2nd in AA is basically a ridiculous opportunity cost for next to no benefit, I don't feel like it would be a terribly thrilling round.

It'd be fun to homebrew a fix for AA (advancing CL, making the 1/day abilities usable by expending spell slots or something like that, etc.), but that's a totally different beast than running it in Iron Chef.

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

22. - Top - End - #142

PirateWench

since we're starting this up again I'm tossing out my usual request for DoTU Arachnomancer.
    Iron Chef in the Playground LXVI - Honorable Mention : Azalin Stonecutter

Iron Chef Home Cooking in the Playground II - Second Place : Takenaka Kenshin

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Try drawing arrows, I hear the class has some useful features with them.
    Awards

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

25% finished.

In the meantime, Any thoughts on how a flask thrower would do with this class?
    Shaped splash seems obvious. Can psywarriors take weapon focus (flask of greater alchemists fire) and make that a soulbound weapon?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    25% finished.

In the meantime, Any thoughts on how a flask thrower would do with this class?
    Shaped splash seems obvious. Can psywarriors take weapon focus (flask of greater alchemists fire) and make that a soulbound weapon?
    I'm on mobile, so I don't have the link to the Mind's Eye article with Soulbound Weapon available, but doesn't Soulbound Weapon always call the same weapon, thereby making a flask a really bad choice? I'll check the exact wording later, I suppose.

Also, I think you need to be proficient with a weapon to take WF, and while splash weapons explicitly don't have a nonproficiency penalty, that isn't quite the same as being proficient, unless my memory is flawed (which is entirely possible).
    Last edited by Zaq; 2016-10-30 at 12:16 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Not being able to take Weapon Focus also means no Master Thrower, which is unfortunate, as Doubletoss or Palm Throw would have been a good way to get an extra attack for resonance without needing to full attack. Shaped Splash does at least get you a second instance of damage on your standard action throw (even if your target is on their own, as the rules define 'adjacent' as sharing a point on the edge of the square, though taking precautions to protect your melee friend and bouncing your second attack off his head for resonance creating splash damage on your actual target is also viable). Maybe Neraph Throw+Shaped Splash+Planar Touchstone (Oxyrhynicus) (similar to one of the Blessed Third's tricks) could jerry rig your way to two points of resonance (EDIT: Nevermind, doesn't work. You need to be proficient with the weapon chosen for Oxyrhynicus and need to actually make an attack with that weapon, so the two attacks from Shaped Splash can't be used to set up a Planar Touchstone attack.), though I suppose just full attacking wouldn't be the end of the world on a thrower build unless there's something you really want to do with your move action.

The Ice Dagger spell is treated as a thrown splash weapon, so between Shaped Splash and (metamagic reduced, natch) Twin Spell you could get some resonance going. Maybe get Fell Drain in there as well for a few negative levels on top of it.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2016-10-30 at 10:52 AM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Sorry about the delay:

All scores start at 2.5 and I add or subtract points when things please or displease me. Except for the elegance category, which starts at a score of 5 and is deducted points. For a perfect UOSI score you need to be able to create massive amounts of resonance at 20th level. A full attack and a AOO with a gimmick-less weapon can create ~ 4 points of resonance. I image a character surrounded in every square by a medium size humanoid with a pityingly low AC on a flat plane extending in all directions to calculate Maximum resonance output. This means that you must be able to generate at least 5 resonance a round to avoid a penalty for UOSI. My point allocation for resonance is as follows

5-10 resonance: .5 points,
    10-15: 0.75 points,
    16-20: 1 point,
    21+resonance: 1.5 points

Originality

The Spirit of All Pointy Things, (T-SAPT) A patient sniping approach. I like your use of fukimi-bari. I’m glad you didn’t use a normal PC race. Tower shield suggestion is aces. I would have liked to have seen some AOO optimization in there, because it seems like it’s important considering the build limitations. Poison is a good touch, but would the luminous order approve? 2.5 base +.5 race, +.5 weapon gimmick, +.25 overall damaging technique, +.25 for not taking a race with a bonus feat at 1st level. +.25 for hide optimization 4.25

Ben Neru: Small InvisiMonk with combat reflexes. I like your perpetual invisibility by level 6. Your ability to use all of gloom razor is commendable. Strongheart Halfling for more than the bonus feat as a reason. 2.5 base +.75 invisibility on non-caster, +.25 race, + .25 size abuse shenanigans. 3.75

Guru Lahima: Antipodal aura blaster. A passive attacking pin cushion.Dragon Shaman? Bold choice, good sir. Azurin; makes sense. Stone power and crusader initiation. This is among my favorite builds in this competition for originality. It has many moving parts, however, and noobs will be quite challenged to pull off playing this character in combat. 2.5 + 0 race +.25 dragon shaman, +0 for other class choices, + 1.25 for awesome aura gimmick, +.5 for nonviolence fluff. 4.0

Bobo McShootiepants: Soulbow kensai McSplitty Arrows. Human. I like your combination of kensai and soul bow. I even enjoy how you use VOP. Like all VOP builds you ran out of good exalted feats around level 12 or so. I really like your spot optimization as well. 2.5 +.5 going ranged +.25 VOP souknife/bow +.5 spot optimization. 3.75

Opsablepsia: Switch-Hitting Breath Weapon Triple Gazer. I like that you provide in house means of providing your own gaze graft. Dragonborn Silverbrow human. This character metamorphoses at level 6 and plays drastically differently from then on! I like how you used binder to excellent effect for gaze attacks, which you then stack to guarantee high chances that you rack up egregious amounts of resonance. 2.5 + 1.25 clever concept + .5 excellent use of binder +.25 superlative use of dragon born abuse. 4.5

Verelka Thunderfoot: Natural attackomancer Monk& totemist pogo stick striker. Dragonborn again. Human base. I like your jump shenanigans with the monk ACF and mantis leap. I thought of building a totemist too, so good job appealing to my vanity. 2.5 +.5 natural attack abuse, +.5 jump abuse, +.25 weird flavor decisions in the beginning of life. 3.75

Zirella Stormfire: Electro dagger bardinatrix. Human. This build is built around making a low level weapon summoning spell permanent and then using those spell daggers in conjunction with born of three thunders to lay your opponents out. 2.5 + 1.5 for spell casting chassis, + .5 for clever use of born of three thunders. 4.5

The Blessed Third: Martial two handed flurry. Human. This is a very straight forward knockdown build with snap kick, flurry, oxyrhincus, invisible fist to trigger oxyrhincus. 2.5 +.5 initiator + knockdown + invisirhincus combo move +.25 for multiple attack feats. +.25 for double hit + combat reflexes. 3.5

Power
    (T-SAPT) Savvy rogue in your 18th level feat slot is a terrible choice. I suspect you had build fatigue when you made that decision. The ability to damage undead and constructs is important, so I’m glad you compensated there. See elegance for your weakness against DR X/—. One on one, I think that this is a powerful build. Against multiple opponents, especially powerful ones with access to faerie fire. 2.5, +.5 resonance racking abilities, +.5 for being deadly against unprepared small groups or singletons. 3.5

Ben Neru: Hand chakra into choosing an astral construct menu ability through astral vambraces is great for increasing your utility. How you use invisibility is good cooking. 9 levels of monk really affects your overall power, but I suspect that you were making a delicate quiche and not doritos salad. Like T-SAPT, I think that this build is good against small unprepared groups or a singleton of equivalent level, and you have a weakness to Area Affects. 2.5 + .25 resonance racking abilities +.5 for being deadly against specific groups, +.25 for additional utility near end of build from astral vambraces. 3.5

Guru Lahima: This is pretty powerful build, capable of going toe to toe with equivalent martials and tier 3s and small groups including those that have had a little of preparation. I like how the creation of zombies makes you a target that folks will want to target more. Although passive for the majority of your resonance creation, you can bring the heat in hand to hand. Incarnate brings a lot of versatility and thankfully, you expressed enough in write up of how you plan on using that versatility. I do think that this character will tend to get knocked out pretty often without splitting big groups into smaller more manageable ones. 2.5 + .75 resonance accumulation + .5 built in healing +.25 zombies. 4.0

Bobo McShootiepants: And you totally did on second check. I’m not understanding the the latter half of the builds extra exalted feat choices all that much seeing as how you are layering on onerous role-play issues for scant rewards. You are a ranged attack machine, but like all ranged builds, damage output becomes a problem for HP damage issues. 2.5 + .75 resonance accumulation + .5 for long range optimization +.25 for half-efforted diplomacy skills. 4.0

Opsablepsia This might be the most powerful build to handle many opponents. This build is so powerful that you can’t work with any allies. At least you can turn your gazes off. If, however, your opponents don’t trigger gaze attacks, you have some breath weapons that entangle on round 1 who you can breath weapon again on round 2 for AOE resonance. What you need is a way to deflect the massive amounts of fire your dangerous presence would attract…if your opponents know anything about resonance. 2.5 + 1.25 showstopping resonance generation -.25 for being a liability to allies, +.25 for AOE resonance generating back up plan, +.5 flight at lower levels. 4.25

Verelka Thunderfoot: You are as powerful as any other build with totemist 2 and monk levels, which puts you around tier 3. I really don’t have a lot else to say about the power level, as it seems your routine is pretty straight forward. 2.5 + 1 natural attackomancer with built in pounce. 3.5

Zirella Stormfire: Your first 9 levels seem like a tough thing to deal with. You will obviously need to be a part of a party.But you have bluff and and UMD so utility is the name of your game.This character does not bring a whole lot of heat for the power department. Why didn’t you take energy admixture? Improved TWF wasn’t worth it compared to possibly doubling the amount of resonance you could build with two different damage types? Your spells aren’t wickedly powerful but they are true to your character. I’m not sure that you can 1on 1 defeat someone of your own HD until after the 13th level. 2.5 + .75 for rebuffing abilities after level 13. 3.25

The Blessed Third: This character has a hefty number of attacks at each level and they are geared towards martial combat. High HD and iron heart surge, which you mysteriously eschew late in the game, help keep you alive. You are quite good at retaliation, with karmic strike allowing for double hitting and combat reflexing. No real built in healing, like some other fighty builds. You can take small parties, even prepared ones as well as individuals in combat. 2.5 +.5 for solid offense +.5 solid defense+.5 for knockdown abuse 4.0

Elegance
    The Spirit of All Pointy Things, (T-SAPT):
    I see some problems here. Fukimi Bari are awesome but besides sneak attack, which only procs on the first hit of the volley.
    Volley Type Attacks
    Sometimes, you make multiple attacks with the same attack roll, such as when you use the Manyshot feat, or you make multiple attack rolls as part of the same attack, such as with the scorching ray spell. When you do so, only the first attack in the volley can be a sneak attack.
    From HERE: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a

Which means that any DR at all limits your resonance to a single hit, for which you have to have sneak attack conditions to make happen. Nothing in the build substantially addresses DR.
    Considering how you’re plan consists of hanging near the opponent till they die, I appreciate your class features granting some resistance against area damage effects. You noticed that the resonance doesn’t have an expiration and built a creature that can do the whole death of a thousand cuts thing. 5.0, -1 for inability to manage DR, -.5 for Area affects weakness, -.25 for poison use (considered evil and thus must be limited), +.25 for rogue abilities that lend themselves to working on a team. 3.5

Ben Neru: Not a lot of defense against area attacks except for co-occupying an opponent’s square. This build has a lot of competition for swift actions. And unsteady footing (confound the big folk) eats a standard action, not an attack, so the trips mess with your iteratives and you only get the tripping size bonii during that unsteady footing offers during that specialized standard action. What does the crab clan have to do with it? 5.0, -.5 for weakness to areas of effect, 4.5

Guru Lahima: You have to be able to take oodles of damage and you attempt to address it as best you can with some built in healing abilities with the crusader bits to help with that. I really like your aura schtick. Nothing wrong with the build that I can see besides the nature of being your own bait… 5.0 -.25 for need to imperil oneself. In complete adventurer, I believe there is a sense motive alternative skill use ability that you could use to judge how powerful your opponents are, I think you should have invested in that with your skill points. 4.75

Bobo McShootiepants: Kensai + soulbow is a nice little combo. Not sure if it would fly in every table, but I would let it fly at mine. Sense weakness is an excellent find and helps with ranged attacks long time nemesis: DR. You have -1 hp per hit die due to your constitution score for your first 16 levels. You should have a different ability allotment, to address that sooner. There is no guarantee that Bobo as a PC would survive from 7-10th levels. You should have written a little more about your sniping skills, because you decked out your hide and move silently. 5 -..5 for bad constitution score. 4.5

Opsablepsia Well done. You rode binder out for a long while. The only piece I dislike is the swordsage tack-on at the end. You didn’t lose points for it. It just appears to be a blatant power grab and it doesn’t elegantly jive with the rest of what you built. Everything flows together and you qualify for everything. 5

Verelka Thunderfoot Do combat reflexes do anything for you with a 10 dex? I’m glad that you pumped up tumble, because your routine should be taking you into many AOO situations. Further, how are you continuing to advance as a monk after taking your first level of totemist? I appreciate the breakdown for held actions, swift actions, and move actions. 5.0, -2 for the monk/totemist/monk thing, -.5 for dex increasing items reliance for use of combat reflexes…at all. I appreciate the breakdown for held actions, swift actions, and move actions. 2.5

Zirella Stormfire: Worshipping a concept is sometimes frowned upon, but planning and undeath do have a sort of thematic synergy if you think about it for a second; One definitely suggests the other. DMM hi-jinx are typically terrible in these competitions, but I do like that you limited it to a few select spells. Your mid range levels are totally a slog and you’re bringing less to the table than you were in the early levels. Like they mechanically work, but don’t seem like a ton of fun to play as. I appreciate how you really optimized the capstone. You will set many things on fire with this build, so I hope your group doesn’t need to find scrolls. I reckon the only way that you qualify for lyric thaumaturge is by sanctum spelling a wu jen spell? Lucky you that lyric thaumaturge specifies spell casting advancement of the bard class; Masterful stroke! 5.0 -1 for only being fun to play after 12th level. 4.0

The Blessed Third Why decisive strike over flurry? I like your invisifist 2wf+snapkick + oxyrhincus combo. I like your karmic strike, combat reflexes + double hit combo. Knockdown + punishing stance works well. Everything seems to be qualified for. 5.0

UoSI

The Spirit of All Pointy Things, (T-SAPT) Your fluff doesn’t exactly jive with serene guardian, but I don’t think I care about that all that much. No mention was made of the free swag that the luminous order provides. At level 20, I see 10 resonance points a round on a full attack and a AOO…assuming all targets take damage with every attack needle. How you put poison needles in your mouth to spit at your opponent is a weird thing to contemplate. But that can realistically increase your resonance up to 11-12 per round. No special mention of capstone. 2.5 + .75 for 10 or resonance per round, -.25 to lack of mention of swag, +.25 for how important the confusion and stun effects are for this build: you need them to survive, and skillfully you have developed a way to deliver them. 3.0

Ben Neru: No mention was made of the free swag that the luminous order provides. At level 20, I’m seeing like 3 to 4 resonance a round. 4 attacks from BAB and up to 7-11 attacks of opportunity. Also Flurry advancement was optimized as much as possible. So I’m seeing on an optimal round ~ 8-10 resonance points. Monk features optimized. No special mention of capstone. You stuck with monk and really tried to make it work. 2.5 + .5 for less than 10 but more than 5 resonance per round, -.25 to lack of mention of swag, +1 for really committing to monk. 3.75

Guru Lahima: No mention was made of the free swag that the luminous order provides. At level 20, I’m seeing, assuming that you are surrounded on all 8 squares by beings full attacking you with 4 attacks from BAB triggering your 3 auras for two resonance apiece. Plus 4 winter mask iteratives during your attack, which all relies on your tumble skill getting you through AOO’s to strike 2 opponents who haven’t already taken a bunch of aura damage. ~18 resonance per round. 2.5 +1 resonance, +.5 for passive damage, +.25 for saving your swift action, -.25 for not mentioning swag: 4.00

Bobo McShootiepants: No mention was made of the free swag that the luminous order provides. Actually, you have to find a way to demonstrate your tabard if you are acting as a knight of the order, a position of prestige and rank in the organization, all in such a way to satisfy VOP. It’s not impossible with some haggling, but it does stick out. At level 20, you have 5 BAB attacks (splitting), a rapid shot, and planar touchstone adding up to another 5 and one attack of opportunity…bringing you up to 24 damaging instances a round, ~ 16 resonance points per idealized round. 2.5 +1 for 16-20 resonance -.5 for not mentioning swag and having VOP mess with your ability to demonstrate your knighthood within the order, +.25 for being able to be a competent ranged attacker without relying on SA, +.25 to be able to circumvent DR: 3.5

Opsablepsia: Mention was made of the free swag that the luminous order provides. At level 20…whew Three gazes a round hitting everyone with 60.’ Assuming they all have terrible saves, You can hit everyone in 12 squares in every direction. That’s like 720 squares. If you fill all of them…Wait, what are the cover rules in this situation? Can you really see the gaze of someone 12 people ahead of you? Let’s just assume that you can only affect out to 3 squares on a map with a humanoid in every square. Thats 48 folks getting hit with damage 3 times to make 96 resonance points. If every mook in that same range averts their gaze, it’s still 48 resonance points…per round. Plus the breath weapon. But you can fly, so you can avoid the line of site/cover problems and so you can potentially make 720 resonance per round. 2.5 +1.5 massive resonance + .5 for build elements being so safi sana. Your biggest problem is choosing who to affect with your swift actions. You should travel around with a synad squire of legend. 4.5

Verelka Thunderfoot You mentioned the free swag that the luminous order provides. At level 20, assuming a movement rate of 30, and non action jumps need to move you at least 5’ to put you in significantly different attack range, which means that you can, fully cheese enabled, jump 6 times per round as your move action and another 6 jumps as a move action that replaces your standard action: with 8 nat attacks apiece per jump that is a maximum 96 damaging circumstances, plus one attack of opportunity. That is ~ 64 resonance per round. Well done. You advance monk with serene guardian levels. 2.5 + 1.5 resonance generation +.75 for significant investment in monk. 4.75

Zirella Stormfire You mentioned the free swag that the luminous order provides. At level 20, you do 5 attacks per round, plus an attack of opportunity. This leads me to believe that you are capable of dishing out approx 4 resonance a round. Further, if the sonic damage type counts separately, you have more like 8 resonance a round. You optimized the soul release with doomspeak a bit. If you were neutral you could add poison to your blades… The lack of resonance accumulation may be paid for by the amount of knockdown/stunning you do. 2.5, -.5 for not dealing more than 4 resonance per round, +.5 for optimizing the capstone. + .5 for twf gish build using weird parts. 3.0

The Blessed Third No mention was made of the free swag that the luminous order provides. At level 20, I’m see 4 iterative attacks 3 attacks of opportunity with double hit, an offhand attack, a snap kick, and up to 7 planar touchstone attacks. Assuming that you use knockdown and Improved trip on all of them. That’s 36 damaging opportunities for a total of 24 resonance, assuming everything hits. With items that boost dexterity, you get attacks of opportunity on every person who targets you. Your 2 levels of monk advance another 5 with serene guardian. 2.5 +1.5 +.25 monk dip. 4.25

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the judgings daremetoidareyo. I'm compiling everyone's total score now and will edit it in shortly.

the spirit of all pointy things 14.25
    o 4.25
    p 3.5
    e 3.5
    u3

ben neru 15.5
    o 3.75
    p 3.5
    e 4.5
    u 3.75

guru lahima 16.75
    o 4.0
    p 4.0
    e 4.75
    u 4.0

bobo mcshootiepants 15.5
    o 4.0
    p 4.5
    e 3.5
    u 3.5

opsablepsia 18.25
    o 4.5
    p 4.25
    e 5
    u 4.5

verelka thunderfoot 14.5
    o 3.75
    p 3.5
    e 2.5
    u 4.75

zirella stormfire 15
    o 4.5
    p 3.5
    e 4.0
    u 3.0

the blessed third 16.75
    o 3.5
    p 4.0
    e 5.0
    u 4.25
    Last edited by Venger; 2016-11-02 at 11:43 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

Devil

Thanks for the judging daremetoidareyo! Quick question, though, is there any chance it can be added to the more typical standard (i.e Entry 1; Originality, Power, Elegance, UoSI, Entry 2; O, P, E, UoSi, Entry 3, etc)

It makes it quite hard to read in its current delivery. Apologies for being a pain!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Thanks for the judging daremetoidareyo! Quick question, though, is there any chance it can be added to the more typical standard (i.e Entry 1; Originality, Power, Elegance, UoSI, Entry 2; O, P, E, UoSi, Entry 3, etc)

It makes it quite hard to read in its current delivery. Apologies for being a pain!
    If I have some time later, sure. I switched to judging by category so that I didn't get fatigued and give entry #8 less consideration than entry one. That, plus running late left little time for edits or proof reading