Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

Letís do this by comparing the benefits up to 14th level Sorceror and presume you only will get access to second level Paladin spells.

Dragon Sorceror:
    1 extra HP per level usually a max of 10 or so
    Charisma modifier to damage that shares your type
    Damage resistance to your type

Divine Soul:
    Gain access to Healing Word, Prayer of Healing, Silence, Mass Healing Word, Revivify*, Spirit Guardians, Death Ward*, Freedom of Movement, Dawn, Dispel Evil and Good, Flame Strike, Holy Weapon, Raise Dead, Blade Barrier, Find the Path, Heal, Harm, Heroeís Feast, True Seeing (* denotes things you theoretically can get from base Paladin spell list)
    2d4 to an Attack roll or Saving throw per short rest
    Reroll healing dice for you and your close allies

When you look at the Divine Soul spell list (for Sorcadin), itís slightly less appealing. Itís still quite good. Healing Word, Quicken Spirit Guardians, Quicken Revivify, and Quicken Deathward are all phenomenal. If I were to rate these 6 abilities, Divine Magic and Favored by the Gods will be the top 2 hands down. Empowered Healing is probably the worst. Itís close-ish, but Iím pretty sure Divine Soul is just superior to Dragon for Sorcadin.

Edit:
    Shadow Sorceror is good, but youíll likely want Hexblade 2-3 for Devilís Sight and Pact of the Blade. That said, Darkness scales poorly as around 10 (when youíre getting it) things start to have means around it.
    Last edited by agnos; 2017-11-14 at 04:37 AM.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

So if i'm str based S&B (pal 6 / sorc 14) what are we thinking is the new hotness? Crown or Conquest and Divine Soul?
    Tanky, and using the careful web shenanigans is the plan.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by agnos View Post
    Letís do this by comparing the benefits up to 14th level Sorceror and presume you only will get access to second level Paladin spells.

Dragon Sorceror:
    1 extra HP per level usually a max of 10 or so
    Charisma modifier to damage that shares your type
    Damage resistance to your type

Divine Soul:
    Gain access to Healing Word, Prayer of Healing, Silence, Mass Healing Word, Revivify*, Spirit Guardians, Death Ward*, Freedom of Movement, Dawn, Dispel Evil and Good, Flame Strike, Holy Weapon, Raise Dead, Blade Barrier, Find the Path, Heal, Harm, Heroeís Feast, True Seeing (* denotes things you theoretically can get from base Paladin spell list)
    2d4 to an Attack roll or Saving throw per short rest
    Reroll healing dice for you and your close allies

When you look at the Divine Soul spell list (for Sorcadin), itís slightly less appealing. Itís still quite good. Healing Word, Quicken Spirit Guardians, Quicken Revivify, and Quicken Deathward are all phenomenal. If I were to rate these 6 abilities, Divine Magic and Favored by the Gods will be the top 2 hands down. Empowered Healing is probably the worst. Itís close-ish, but Iím pretty sure Divine Soul is just superior to Dragon for Sorcadin.

Edit:
    Shadow Sorceror is good, but youíll likely want Hexblade 2-3 for Devilís Sight and Pact of the Blade. That said, Darkness scales poorly as around 10 (when youíre getting it) things start to have means around it.
    You forgot Spiritual Weapon on the Divine Sorcerer sell list which will be pretty awesome on a Sorcadin. Gives you a bonus attack, so a pseudo second attack if you don't take 5 levels in Paladin.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raif View Post
    You forgot Spiritual Weapon on the Divine Sorcerer sell list which will be pretty awesome on a Sorcadin. Gives you a bonus attack, so a pseudo second attack if you don't take 5 levels in Paladin.
    It completes with Quicken spell though, and you can't smite with it. It's a great spell, but I'm not sure it works very well for a Paladin.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    Half-elf: 13, 16, 14, 8, 9, 16
    10 base +2 studded +3 Dex +1 Defense style = 16
    +2 shield = 18
    +2 shield of faith = 18
    both = 20
    shield spell = 21/23/25
    Prot from evil or Blur instead of SoF, for 16/18 with disadvantage, 21/23 with shield if it still happens to hit.
    Later your Dex could go up adding another +1 or +2
    Grab Warcaster @ level 6

Who needs heavy armor?
    There is one thing that should be noted about this. If you go dragon you can drop studded and defense style and still have ac16 naked / 18 with a shield as well as the use of a different fighting style.
    Last edited by chikiko; 2017-11-29 at 11:24 AM.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
    It completes with Quicken spell though, and you can't smite with it. It's a great spell, but I'm not sure it works very well for a Paladin.
    Thats true but it will only compete with quicken if you do it every round, which at 2SP per use will deplete them pretty fast. That would a bonus action u can use when you dont want to spend 2SP
    Last edited by chikiko; 2017-11-29 at 08:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Pixie in the Playground

How does Sorcadin compete with Xanathar's pure hexblade? I want to try a Divine Soul Sorcadin, because I see the RP behind it being a blast.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jacob902uhhs View Post
    How does Sorcadin compete with Xanathar's pure hexblade? I want to try a Divine Soul Sorcadin, because I see the RP behind it being a blast.
    I have an older version STR>CHA>CON, F1/hexblade (GWM + EE) at my table (from back when elven accuracy worked with STR) beside the pally. I'd say all things considered, the sorcadin is still stronger... but it's not by miles, and it's certainly not at everything.

I'll have to figure out if I do a respec on that warlock or just let it ride. Probably I'll let the player decide. A pure xanthars hexblade is a shade stronger (and in a few ways weaker) than the older one, but I don't think it'd quite make up the difference.

Do you want versatility or do you want to pry the faces off of things with a halberd while surrounded in darkness and or flies?

9. - Top - End - #639
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExSavior View Post
    So XGE rules are out already and feeling Shadow Sorcerer + 1 level dip into Hexblade Warlock is the best Longsword build now.
    This!

Hexblade/Oath of Vengeance Paladin gets you insane crit chances (p=0.34 per round) on short rests.

10. - Top - End - #640

NecromancerGuy

On the other hand, Hexblade / Oathbreaker paladin has some fantastic cha synergy
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jacob902uhhs View Post
    Potentially more damage in boss fights because you can get to 34% crit chance per round (hexblade curse with advantage, two attacks). Those crits will absolutely devastate everything because you can generate so many dice (green flame blade+smite).

If you want to go for something like Hexblade 1/Paladin 2/Sorcerer x, I think the dragon sorcerer is much stronger because he gets to add cha to green flame blade damage. Hexblade lets you focus on Cha, so I think it's optimal to try and use it as much as possible. The bonus hit points are very welcome for a front-line fighter.

I am currently thinking if those two levels of Paladin really are worth it. You could dump str when you ditch the Pala levels. You loose smite and the fighting style but you gain more uses of quicken spell and better spell casting (to use with that high Cha).

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Important new option:

Paladins get the new spell Find Greater Steed in XGtE (page 156). Part of the spell details includes

Quote Originally Posted by Find Greater Steed
    "You control the mount in combat. While the mount is within 1 mile of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. While mounted on it, you can make any spell you cast that targets only you also target the mount."
    This opens up a lot of options for using spells like Melf's Minute Meteors and Thunderstep which do damage to enemies based on targeting yourself.

This is a 4th level Paladin spell, so it only comes into play if you get a Paladin to higher levels or if you can obtain a 4th level scroll. However, if you can pull that off, then you can have a lot of fun with this.
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2017-12-27 at 06:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Important new option:

Paladins get the new spell Find Greater Steed in XGtE (page 156). Part of the spell details includes

Quote Originally Posted by Find Greater Steed
    "You control the mount in combat. While the mount is within 1 mile of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. While mounted on it, you can make any spell you cast that targets only you also target the mount."
    This opens up a lot of options for using spells like Melf's Minute Meteors and Thunderstep which do damage to enemies based on targeting yourself.

This is a 4th level Paladin spell, so it only comes into play if you get a Paladin to higher levels or if you can obtain a 4th level scroll. However, if you can pull that off, then you can have a lot of fun with this.
    It's probably unnecessary to say this, but the bolded part is not exclusive to Find Greater Steed. Find Steed (the 2nd level spell) also has the same line in its description.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-27 at 07:03 AM.
    My 5th Edition D&D Homebrew:
    Writing blue text written in cursive/italics is me being sarcastic or lighthearted, thus not intentionally offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    So,

"<game that I dislike> will break down when people try to optimize it, whereas this will never happen in <game that I like>."

I think I've heard this argument now for every conceivable D&D-related pair of <game>s.

14. - Top - End - #644

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    This is a 4th level Paladin spell, so it only comes into play if you get a Paladin to higher levels or if you can obtain a 4th level scroll.
    Or if you have a bard friend willing to take it at L10 with Magical Secrets, and a ring of spell storing.

That's my preferred route :)
    Last edited by Zene; 2017-12-27 at 07:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'd say there's definitely cases where Draconic is better, if only because it's more focused than the Divine Soul. But with all the good Cleric gish spells I honestly can't seen Divine Soul as worse overall. I know it's a little iffy, but if you run a Hexblade dip with a SnB build then you become SAD as anything, and can spare feats to pump your concentration. At that point you only really need 2 ASIs to get maxed attack and spellcasting. Then you can blow 2 feats for Warcaster and Resilient(Con), putting your Con saves at level 20 up to +16. TBH you probably only need one of those feats, but anyways then you can keep Spirit Guardians up almost every fight. OTOH it's going to spread your already thin Sorc spell list even thinner. I just like the idea of having Spirit Guardians on lock, or being able to drop a Quickened Heal(the spell) in the middle of a fight. The whole thing just sounds amazing.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Pixie in the Playground

complete noob question. If I go 3p / 1s do I have 3 paladin spellslots and 2 sorc or just 3 spellslots? If later how does this progress decently? Wouldn't I fall massively behind?

17. - Top - End - #647
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vonzie View Post
    complete noob question. If I go 3p / 1s do I have 3 paladin spellslots and 2 sorc or just 3 spellslots? If later how does this progress decently? Wouldn't I fall massively behind?
    When you have only paladin levels your spell slots follow the progress as listed on paladin class table.

As soon as you take the first (effective) level in another class that grants spellcasting, such as the sorcerer (for arcane trickster or eldritch knight that would be 3rd level and for ranger the 2nd level, otherwise 1st level; if the class has spellcasting that is), you start to look at the spell slots progression in the multiclassing rules section of the book.

3 levels in paladin counts technically as 1.5 levels as a whole, but it gets rounded down to 1, and 1 level in sorcerer counts as 1, so as a paladin3/sorcerer1 your total spellcasting level is still only 2, and thus you have 3 x 1st level spell slots as if you were a 2nd level spellcaster according to the table in the multiclassing rules section.

As a half-caster (paladin) + full-caster (sorcerer) combination you fall behind a full-caster's progression, but not severely so, because the levels still add up.

For comparison, if you flipped the Pal and Sor levels so that you had Pal 1/sor 3, you'd still effectively be only 3rd level spellcaster with 4 x 1st and 2 x 2nd level spell slots (because paladin doesn't get spells until 2nd level).

The difference is relatively minimal; it's there, but it won't last forever. Your spell slots for each effective spellcasting level are no less than for those who took levels in a single class, you only get them later (granted, you potentially get less high level spell slots in the end, but you more than likely will get just as many spell slots of 1st to 5th levels as the others, 6th to 9th level slots are scarce anyway).

Do note, though, that you can still prepare or know spells according to each individual class's levels you have.
    A paladin3/sorcerer1 still prepares 1 + cha + oath spells of 1st-level paladin spells and knows 2 of 1st-level sorcerer spells.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-12-29 at 06:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malisteen View Post
    On the other hand, Hexblade / Oathbreaker paladin has some fantastic cha synergy
    How would you optimize something like that?

Half elf (drow descent maybe?)
    Hexblade 5 / OB 15 ?
    Take Elven Accuracy at level 4? (Flanking rules are in effect, so this seems insane)

19. - Top - End - #649
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm working on a Sorcadin character right now, and it's shaping to be Conquest 7 / Hexblade 1? / Divine Soul X.
    We are starting at level 1, so I'm going to go a S&B for now. Maybe down the line, I'll look into GWM.
    With V. Human I'll be 16 - 12 - 16 - 9 - 10 - 18 w/ War Caster.

I have a Darth Vader meets King Arthur feeling towards this character.
    I'm having a real hard time trying to flavor this up though.
    It helps for me to build a character mechanically, then trying to justify the means.

Does anyone have an idea on how one would play such a character?

20. - Top - End - #650
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So the general consensus is Divine Soul is pretty good right. If I go 6/14 What oath should I go for with sword and board?

21. - Top - End - #651
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jage0910 View Post
    So the general consensus is Divine Soul is pretty good right. If I go 6/14 What oath should I go for with sword and board?
    Also a good question. Is the thread dead? No longer gettings answers/updates it seems.

22. - Top - End - #652

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jage0910 View Post
    If you don't have a role play reason for going for a certain oath, then go for the one with spells that work for you. Veng gets you spells like Hunter's Mark - Conq gets you that warlock armor spell. Ancients gets you an amazing lvl 7 aura. And so on.

I'm not sure I'd pick Divine soul, though certain spells it opens up are good. But draconic and the extra hp and the elemental bonus (and resistance - usually it's fire that is picked) - this is very strong still.

Also I don't think this thread is dead. I think some of us might be fatigued for now is all. This is an awesome thread.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

I'm trying to figure out what oaths and bloodline to take for my Sorcadin...I'm tempted by Storm, but I'm not sure if it's changed with its inclusion in Xanathar's.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what oaths and bloodline to take for my Sorcadin...I'm tempted by Storm, but I'm not sure if it's changed with its inclusion in Xanathar's.
    Storm Sorcery, or any other subclass from SCAG, remain unchanged in Xanathar's.
    My 5th Edition D&D Homebrew:
    Writing blue text written in cursive/italics is me being sarcastic or lighthearted, thus not intentionally offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    So,

"<game that I dislike> will break down when people try to optimize it, whereas this will never happen in <game that I like>."

I think I've heard this argument now for every conceivable D&D-related pair of <game>s.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I know this is an older post, but I think you need to take another look at things. One, you misread the UA Favoured Soul sorcerous origin. It doesn't give you the spells of one of the cleric subclasses. What it does is allow you to choose the spells you learn on leveling up from the sorcerer AND cleric lists; this means that a level 5 favoured soul could learn Spirit Guardians and Fireball if they wanted to. Spirit Guardians alone is a decent enough reason to get it. However, things have changed.

You really... REALLY need to update this list to include information from Xanathar's Guide. They've changed a ton of things about some of the subclasses, including giving Divine Soul (the evolved form of aforementioned Favoured Soul) some abilities that work for more then just flavor. Things like an extra 2d8 to a saving throw or attack roll, useful buffs to healing, and less story-only factors.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I think you might have missed a possible supernova with a Paladin 5+: You can quicken a BB/GFB for three smite-ready attacks.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Subproject54 View Post
    I believe you can also somewhat get around the need for the Warcaster by

1) Dropping your weapon (no, srsly)
    2) Using your free object interaction to pick it up after you've cast the spell

You may be Trogdor the All-Thumbs sorcadin, but damn it if your DM will limit you!
    Yes, but only if you are far away from someone. Bending down to pick up a weapon provokes an Attack of Opportunity.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Pixie in the Playground

After some more consideration, I think the Sorcadin got mostly replaced by the Sorc/Hexblade multiclass. Not quite as much nova damage but Greenflame Blade+Quicken is good enough. I don't see the appeal in investing into 13 str and two spellcasting levels for smite, a fighting style and some minor healing.

Converting spellslots no longer used to smite into sorcery points to quicken GFB seems like a better use of resources. You can get nearly the same melee power that way while only being behind one level compared to a full caster sorc. The Hexblade's curse makes up for smiting capabilities in boss fights. As a caster, you can generate advantage, gaining insane crit chances.

The Sorc/Hexblade does not suffer from any weak levels because you can just go straight Sorc and pick up that one level Hexblade with GFB at any time (I would suggest after 4 levels of Sorc).
    Last edited by SpoCk0nd0pe; 2018-01-11 at 10:53 AM.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So how do people feel about the less MAD (and edgelord) option of Oathbreaker/Hexblade 8/12? You get Aura of Hate, Lifedrinker and Hexwarrior adding up to a 3* Charisma damage modifier. You still get access to the kewl Warlock spells and now even have a Necrotic version of Smite to actually go along with the theme of Oathbreaker.

The only true disadvantage I see over other Sorcadins/PallyWarlock mixes is this build effectively doesn't get its own ''capstone'' till CL 19 and has an awkward cut-off point in multiclassing. For the triple charisma dipping you need 7 Oathbreaker/12 Hexblade, and at that point you pretty much force yourself into 8 Oath for the extra ASI/Feat. As for Oathbreaker specifically you lose out on Bestow Curse, which is quite an amazing spell when needed.

Don't feel like I need to point this out but this build screams PAM. With a basic max charisma score you're running +15 damage on all your hits. Add GWM for fodder and it becomes +25. Prone the big bad with Eldritch Smite and now go HAM on him too with Curse and GWM - bringing it up to +31 damage to all your hits at lvl 20, and you have 3 per turn.

Extra ridiculousness by going Half-Elf and taking Elven Accuracy - After the first succesful Eldritch Smite you roll with triple advantage.
    Last edited by Willywilliamrtx; 2018-01-12 at 07:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #660

NecromancerGuy

If you're gonna go to oathbreaker 8, kind of might as well go to oathbreaker 11 for improved divine smitd. Only half a point of damage less than lifedrinker, but seven levels earlier. And you're prob better off w sorcerer levels than warlock to fill out the end of your progression, for metamagic.

Like, oathbreaker1/hexblade1/OB+11/shadow7,

Grabbing warcaster at 5, cha at 9 and 13, whatever at 17.

Never get higher level spells known, but plenty of slots for shield/smite/what have you.

Same progression works with conquest if you want to prioritize control over damage with you edgelord, since you're going sword & board anyway with only hex1. End game quickened 'fear' before barreling in to beat on frightened enemies is a great opener. Alternatively, hound into regular fear can help something fail its save.
    The pursuit of knowledge requires a mind unfettered by the petty constraints of ethics, faith, or ... mortality.