Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VII: A T.A.D. Too Much Dialogue These Days

Did they infect their home base? It could turn very ugly if they did.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Barbarian in the Playground

Urg, why are they so easily hackable… Though I guess to be a hive mind requires a degree of communication that makes it being vulnerable to a take over more likely.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; Yesterday at 11:31 AM.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Urg, why are they so easily hackable… Though I guess to be a hive mind requires a degree of communication that makes it being vulnerable to a take over more likely.
    In their natural state they presumably aren't using hypernet links to form the hive mind (although it's not made clear exactly what they *do* use...), so them being hackable isn't really an issue they need to worry about.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    In their natural state they presumably aren't using hypernet links to form the hive mind (although it's not made clear exactly what they *do* use...), so them being hackable isn't really an issue they need to worry about.
    I think your logic is somewhat backwards. The hypernet link wasn't used by the hackers. The fact that the hypernet link could be jammed is what prevented the hive mind from being hacked. The vulnerability was the local "cluster" communication, not the hypernet link. If the entire hive had been together at the same location (without a hypernet link) the entire hive could have been hacked by now. It is true, though, that the hypernet link would have allowed the hacking to extend over a larger area if it hadn't been jammed.

Even if the entire hive wasn't hacked, you still wouldn't want individual nodes being hacked and shooting their comrades in the back or sabotaging the mission or whatever.

I don't think we really know how easily the Ot-Skadak can be hacked, though. The All-Star's agents may have had very advanced capabilities. If they can be easily hacked, that would certainly limit their effectiveness as Toughs.

I doubt that all of Ennesby's analysis is correct. We don't know if the hackers even wanted to hack the entire hive mind on Eina-Afa and I doubt that they wanted to start a galaxy-wide war.
    Last edited by eschmenk; Yesterday at 03:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I doubt that they wanted to start a galaxy-wide war.
    I'm not so sure. Ending the current galactic civ. would be an effective way to ensure the safety of the all star, barring plots by the dark matter entities (which they may not know about), and these are said to have gone rogue.

I do hope Petey is going to appear on/in the all star.

If it turns out the all star has been responible for some of the previous civilisations ending, that might cheer up the archive.
    Last edited by halfeye; Yesterday at 04:24 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I'm not so sure. Ending the current galactic civ. would be an effective way to ensure the safety of the all star, barring plots by the dark matter entities (which they may not know about), and these are said to have gone rogue.
    Doragne and Ulaque said that the All-Star intervenes with "restraint and regret." Destroying all civilizations doesn't sound like "restraint and regret" to me. Granted, the rogue agents are probably the ones who hacked the Ot-Skadak and they are being being more aggressive.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

We regret that we did not restrain our operatives
    My avatar: There was only one dragon in the list of choices, and there's too many Griffons.

So you'll insert the horse into the Large Hadron Collider next?