New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VII: A T.A.D. Too Much Dialogue These Days

I had a horrible thought yesterday.

What if it's not Chinook's history as TAGII that's causing the problem?

What if it's the Oafan hardware, and the terrible crime that Iafa can't remember, that they committed while running on the same hardware Chinook/TAGII is now, involved a similar scenario with long guns?

What if this is about to be made even worse by handing the hardware over to Iafa all over again?
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2018-02-14 at 11:45 AM. Reason: strange formatting from copy-paste
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post

What if it's the Oafan hardware, and the terrible crime that Iafa can't remember, that they committed while running on the same hardware Chinook/TAGII is now, involved a similar scenario with long guns?

What if this is about to be made even worse by handing the hardware over to Iafa all over again?

Well, thank you very much for the nightmares.
    I mean, it's not like I need the sleep.

Some day I'll learn not to browse the forum in the evening...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Uugh. The "AI is crazy because of long forgotten crimes" has been used before (most notably Petey). Just as the "AI is crazy because it has been left alone for too long." (most notable TagII and krrr kutsk afa)

These scenarios dont cause me nightmares but yawns. But Howard is good enough to vary the theme so there is a New twist.

4. - Top - End - #1294

No twisting necessary - while they deal with Chinook, the Longunner of Anonymity is lining up his next shot, metaphorically speaking.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Titan in the Playground

Iafa, do the thing!
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

6. - Top - End - #1296

Beholder

Hopefully we are shown the thing.

7. - Top - End - #1297

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Meh, the replicants of the Maxim 39 crew won't be the same as the people on the ship for it's last few seconds/minutes/hours. But they're indistinguishable from themselves from a week before. Are you a fake if you get really drunk and totally forget what happened to you last night? Those memories and actions are all gone after all. To continue with the analogy most anyone would choose to go on living even if he knows his last few days' memories will be wiped. Deleting random parts of their memories and personalities is a tougher question but still many many people choose to live even then.
    Best answer I can give you is continuity. I know you're consciously aware of your surroundings right now. It is my view that if you were utterly annihilated, and then an exact duplicate down the the spin of the quarks in your atoms was constructed, even from the same exact atoms, the 'consciousness' that is you is probably not the same because the continuity was broken. To everyone else, the copy is you. To the copy, it is you, To you, you are dead. The reverend expressed a similar view early on in the comic. A common response to this is that falling asleep would mean you are dead, but even while asleep you are still conscious on some level (see: dreams) even if you don't remember it afterwards.

I don't have the relevant knowledge to make a claim on blackout drunkenness one way or the other.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2018-02-15 at 11:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    To everyone else, the copy is you. To the copy, it is you, To you, you are dead. The reverend expressed a similar view early on in the comic. A common response to this is that falling asleep would mean you are dead, but even while asleep you are still conscious on some level (see: dreams) even if you don't remember it afterwards.

I don't have the relevant knowledge to make a claim on blackout drunkenness one way or the other.
    Does that mean getting frozen in carbonite would be no different from dying, and the person unfrozen is a different person from the person that was frozen? Personally, I would say yes. But we are already different people than we were a few seconds ago. For all practical purposes, it's essentially the same person and the only difference is philosophical.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    Does that mean getting frozen in carbonite would be no different from dying, and the person unfrozen is a different person from the person that was frozen? Personally, I would say yes. But we are already different people than we were a few seconds ago. For all practical purposes, it's essentially the same person and the only difference is philosophical.
    Agreed. For a rl example there's surgical sedatives and medical induced coma. Or passing out after a knockout.

As for the experience of death, that's true. The Schlock Mercenary viewpoint isn't bogus. Doesn't mean the newly made clone is a totally new individual. He obviously isn't. The fact everyone in this society uses the technology means that they think so too. Losing a bit of time and exchanging the materials that compose their bodies is not that great a deal in the end. We're just stuck with that way of thinking because in our world that's how things work (for now). If we were intelligent amoeba our understanding of Life, Death and Individuality would be very different.
    Last edited by guttering flame; 2018-02-16 at 03:14 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    If we were intelligent amoeba our understanding of Life, Death and Individuality would be very different.
    There is a word for intelligent amoeba: Shoggoth.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

11. - Top - End - #1301

Or a carbosilicate amorph.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Iafa! Iafa! Cthuschlock fhtagn!

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Speaking of this: didn't we have like a red maxi-schlock librarian running around who was concerned about the end of galactic civilization a while back? Didn't that thing join the fleetmind or something? Any chance it will have some input on the current situation?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Speaking of this: didn't we have like a red maxi-schlock librarian running around who was concerned about the end of galactic civilization a while back? Didn't that thing join the fleetmind or something? Any chance it will have some input on the current situation?
    It was an AI archive created by the Gatekeepers -- it went insane and killed everyone in a surviving Buthandi (sp) fragment because it thought that the next galactic cycle couldn't tick over as long as it existed, some nonsense about being the "observer" and the universe "quantum locked" by its existence.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Was it created by the Gatekeepers? They had "possession" of it, but their creation of it is a different question. It may be that it's a left over from an earlier time period. In fact it hints at being very old given the speed of observations. Maybe it's seen sentient life wipe itself out many times and that's one reason it's gone nuts.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ran into this on a reread. I think she's trying to go back.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm just going to put this out there. Babylon Abbey is inherently flawed. It's using the wrong Captain.

Clearly it should be Archer, not Janeway.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

18. - Top - End - #1308

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I'm just going to put this out there. Babylon Abbey is inherently flawed. It's using the wrong Captain.

Clearly it should be Archer, not Janeway.
    The real problem is that they got Optimus Prime all wrong. And I don't mean the voice: they cloned the original voice of Optimus Prime from the 1980s. No, they somehow decided to make Prime be azure and scarlet when everyone knows that he should be navy and fire-engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

At this point, I'm rooting for Chinook. A nice apocalypse is just what this comic needs to put the Toughs back where they should be: on a single ship, killing people for the highest bidder and not caring a whole lot about morality outside their own roster. For me, these are the portions of the comic that I enjoy most and where the story is the most compelling. That kind of lawlessness and independence could potentially come from a not-so-total-annihilation event, and that's what I'm hoping will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

20. - Top - End - #1310

Spoiler
    Show
    aw, I liked Putzho - gave the setting a The Culture feel. hopefully he still has backups.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

21. - Top - End - #1311

Beholder

I'd assume only the meatforms were destroyed. But we can only guess because we aren't shown anything these days.

22. - Top - End - #1312

Or that the hack succeeded and she has been rewritten to believe that they are to give some breathing space
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Or that the hack succeeded and she has been rewritten to believe that they are to give some breathing space
    It would have to be a pretty major rewrite for her to suddenly not realise that entities who interface with her in virtual space must perforce be AIs, so destroying their body is not going to have an effect.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    At this point, I'm rooting for Chinook. A nice apocalypse is just what this comic needs to put the Toughs back where they should be: on a single ship, killing people for the highest bidder and not caring a whole lot about morality outside their own roster. For me, these are the portions of the comic that I enjoy most and where the story is the most compelling. That kind of lawlessness and independence could potentially come from a not-so-total-annihilation event, and that's what I'm hoping will happen.
    We're supposedly heading to the end of the story:

An anniversary is as good a time as any to announce something I've let slip in other places: I have an end in mind for the strip. No, it's not coming at the end of Book 13. It's probably five to eight years out, maybe Book 18, or perhaps 20.
    We're currently in book 18.

From what I read in another announcement the strip will continue, but with some sort of new cast at some point in the future of the current universe. Now that everybody is immortal loads and loads of familiar characters might still survive to be in that story, but supposedly if anything the end of current story line will make the strip change more rather than reverting changes.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

25. - Top - End - #1315

Wow, im relieved by that - forgot about that announcement long ago. It's sad if I can't read new schlocks every day, eventually, but at least it won't continue forever, something i feared for some years now. Of course we first need a Finale Furioso.

If a new story starts in a distant-future schlockverse, I bet that we'll see humans as new bradicors.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ettin in the Playground

Man this is going to suck so much for Elf when she finds out that the kittens don't want to kill her and she has to put the ship back together.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

27. - Top - End - #1317

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Man this is going to suck so much for Elf when she finds out that the kittens don't want to kill her and she has to put the ship back together.
    Hopefully there is a pile of things next to the black water reservoir waiting to get pushed in, rather than things getting chucked in the black water reservoir as they get used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #1318

I'm not sure if I should enjoy the little bug lady more or less as a character given this strip.

Definitely less as a person, but she might end up in a similar boat to Belkar... if the comic wasn't playing all this so straight, anyway.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    I'm not sure if I should enjoy the little bug lady more or less as a character given this strip.
    She hasn't changed, though? Since her introduction she's always had absolutely no empathy. Just look at the way she treated her patients.

30. - Top - End - #1320

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    She hasn't changed, though? Since her introduction she's always had absolutely no empathy. Just look at the way she treated her patients.
    I took it for enthusiasm. She was at least fixing the issues and (as far as I know) doing it without much pain. This was the first time it was obvious callous disregard.