Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VII: A T.A.D. Too Much Dialogue These Days

So he wants to talk to... A Chu?

(Gesundheit!)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

OK, why did the Toughs feel the need to encase the Esspee tree in snow? It's a bit early to be in a Christmassy mood...

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    OK, why did the Toughs feel the need to encase the Esspee tree in snow? It's a bit early to be in a Christmassy mood...
    They're draining the ocean inside Uli-Oa.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Won't the water/ice just disperse over time?

5. - Top - End - #125

BlackDragon

And their reason for doing so is...? I wasn't aware there was a galactic water shortage.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

And their reason for doing so is...? I wasn't aware there was a galactic water shortage.
    Isn't "Screwing with the space bugs that killed their captain" a good enough reason to do whatever they want to the home of said bugs? No not all the bugs are responsable..but I don't think the toughs care, nor should they in my opinion. I personally would have Tereported their tree near a sun..and fabbed a space sized magnifying glass.

7. - Top - End - #127

BlackDragon

But, again, how does burying their tree in snow help in that regard? It seems like an incredibly petty and pointless thing to do purely for revenge, especially given the resources required to make it happen (it must take a lot of power to teraport so much water around).

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

But, again, how does burying their tree in snow help in that regard? It seems like an incredibly petty and pointless thing to do purely for revenge, especially given the resources required to make it happen (it must take a lot of power to teraport so much water around).
    The water may legitimately belong to the Espee city, or at least no-one else wants it in the way of the mining-by-percussion project in the big ball o' PTUs and therefore the Toughs have figured out how to charge extra for it.

(i.e. I'm falling back on the good ol' "if the Toughs are doing it, it's because there is more money in it than in not doing it" stand-by explanation)

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You know, unless I'm misinterpreting something, Juab seems to be a UNS ship. Why is the UNS helping the Toughs chop down the tree? Petey's deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    Warning! The typical D&D game concerns itself with and may contain racial and class-based stereotypes, poaching, xenophobia, religious fanaticism, mindless violence, illegal behavior, frequent bard-on-tavernmaid action, and animal cruelty. Player discretion is advised.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The water may legitimately belong to the Espee city, or at least no-one else wants it in the way of the mining-by-percussion project in the big ball o' PTUs and therefore the Toughs have figured out how to charge extra for it.

(i.e. I'm falling back on the good ol' "if the Toughs are doing it, it's because there is more money in it than in not doing it" stand-by explanation)

GW
    One of them now owns the tree-city (according to her contract with the robo-fairies). Maybe they want to make her new real estate a financial success.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

It's simpler than that, the thing they want is a mile below sea level or more, if they get rid of the sea, they can get at it more easily.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It's simpler than that, the thing they want is a mile below sea level or more, if they get rid of the sea, they can get at it more easily.
    That is actually pretty perceptive. I approve of this theory.

Here, have a hat made of highly-conductive metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Having a place buried in snow makes that place 100% less good to live in, trust me I have had the place I live in buried by snow. It sucks.

14. - Top - End - #134

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Having a place buried in snow makes that place 100% less good to live in
    In this case, though, the same would apply if you buried the place in plasma, and it would probably be quicker and easier.

Anyway, current strip says they just did this as a test of the Cindercage's capabilities. Which is fine, but why did they need to do it more than once, in that case?

15. - Top - End - #135

In this case, though, the same would apply if you buried the place in plasma, and it would probably be quicker and easier.

Anyway, current strip says they just did this as a test of the Cindercage's capabilities. Which is fine, but why did they need to do it more than once, in that case?
    Kevyn is probably throughput testing. IE - How fast can we load up/unload, at what rate can we teraport what we've loaded, etc.

HT has been dropping "Para needs to build automated cargo loaders to make cargo loading and unloading as fast as possible" hints this entire book. Pretty sure they're about to revisit that subject.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The quick part is the problem, the bugs slowly starving to death buried under a billion tons of snow is far more appealing than a quick painless heat lance.

17. - Top - End - #137

Kevyn is probably throughput testing. IE - How fast can we load up/unload, at what rate can we teraport what we've loaded, etc.
    I guess, their next cargo-move will involve some nice, big chunks of the PTU from Uli-Oa,
    and preferably from the area of the control-station.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

18. - Top - End - #138

...you know, having Petey promise me "a bunch of big favors" would probably make my head spin a bit.

Just think of how much you could have with it.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I got the impression that they don't care about it anymore. Do they still care?

(The reason for teraporting the water was already explained in comic.)

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    ...you know, having Petey promise me "a bunch of big favors" would probably make my head spin a bit.

Just think of how much you could have with it.
    So who are the two people speaking in the first panel? It doesn't make sense if they are Murtagh and the Espee, but I cannot see anybody else who it could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    So who are the two people speaking in the first panel? It doesn't make sense if they are Murtagh and the Espee, but I cannot see anybody else who it could be.
    It's Murtagh and the Espee, with the Espee speaking first. It comes across as unnatural and partially wrong to me, but no more so than many of the conversations in the comic. What about it didn't make sense?

What I would like to know is how did they manage to get the second World Mover there with all of the TADs up. It's only a 12 light-minutes away from Uli-Oa. Either the TADs should extend much further than that, or the approaching ships should already be attacking Cindercone. And why is the cabin superstructure incompatible? Does that just mean because of the damage done by the invading Esspies?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-11-19 at 10:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Either the TADs should extend much further than that, or the approaching ships should already be attacking Cindercone.
    Weren't the TADs around Uli Ola int either the toughs int he first place or the UNS ? (with wchich they probably could easily get the &aauthorisation to port a ship in ?)
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

23. - Top - End - #143

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    What I would like to know is how did they manage to get the second World Mover there with all of the TADs up.
    There was a note "18 hours later" a couple of strips ago, so one assumes the other Cindercone could have teraported outside the TAD and flown in under conventional power, just like the Manicouagan did. Alternatively, the Toughs just asked the UNS ships to give them the keys to their TAD--they *are* nominally working together, after all.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Huh. I was right. Someone IS very rich.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    The reason for teraporting the water was already explained in comic.
    Sure, but after I posted my guess.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Huh. I was right. Someone IS very rich.
    What do you do when God owes you a favor?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    Weren't the TADs around Uli Ola int either the toughs int he first place or the UNS ? (with wchich they probably could easily get the &aauthorisation to port a ship in ?)
    No. Everyone else was putting up their own TADs, too.That why the admiral just said the Toughs were teraporting water "under the noses of six overlapping teraport area denial fields." We were also told much earlier that the latecomers were having to keep starting further and further out because of all of the additional TAD fields that the arriving forces kept adding.

There was a note "18 hours later" a couple of strips ago, so one assumes the other Cindercone could have teraported outside the TAD and flown in under conventional power, just like the Manicouagan did. Alternatively, the Toughs just asked the UNS ships to give them the keys to their TAD--they *are* nominally working together, after all.
    That was actually a week ago, but it still has the problem that all of the people who wanted to fight over Ula-Oa would have had the 18 hours to reach Ula-Oa and start fighting over it, too. Some of them probably would have attacked Cindercone and Broken Wind. So where are they? Given that they were so determined to fight, it doesn't make sense that they would have just stopped and waited to see if Petey would shred the planet for them to all share, even if he promised that he would do so.

Sure, but after I posted my guess.
    Right. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    What do you do when God owes you a favor?
    Never use it, but let the whole world know about it, and watch my enemies very carefully leave me alone for the rest of my life. Having a one-use favor from a deity is like having a nuke -- since it's one-use, it's at its most powerful if you never use it, but maintain the constant threat of using it if something irritates you enough.

The only problem with that strategy is the clingers-on who fully intend to try to get me to use that favor on them or something important to them. I'd have to put myself somewhere relatively difficult to access just to cut down on favor-seekers, and that takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Other than that, my life would probably somewhat resemble Mark Twain's "the 1,000,000 bank note" in that my best asset is something I can't use to meet daily needs, but makes daily needs far easier to obtain anyway.
    Last edited by Imgran; 2016-11-20 at 10:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

This seems like setup for the upcoming RPG. A "cool" neutral refueling station ran by "cool" aliens for the PCs to call home and pick up supplies, an ancient ruined world for the PCs to explore and scavenge and a bunch of competing alien races around making things difficult.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well, that "world" is going to be slowly destroyed by kinetic bombardment. So I doubt it's a good setting for exploration.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!