New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VII: A T.A.D. Too Much Dialogue These Days

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    OK, so any bets on what this is going to turn out to be? Guessing it isn't going to turn out to be the actual afterlife...
    I think this is the 'storage buffer' where NuTagon's gestalt is stored. He's been reactivated, but not yet downloaded into meatware for whatever reason.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

If so (and I can think of no better explanation) this blurs the line between AI and meat-sophont even further.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Shouldn't a Virtual Reality heaven created by our mercenaries have more oomph?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's not heaven, merely Eden.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Shouldn't a Virtual Reality heaven created by our mercenaries have more oomph?
    Ahh, here's my bet (I'll put 20Q on this on the Erf forums if you want):

This is Petey's VR. Petey has stated that he wants to take some sociopaths out of circulation. So, he's trying to make a pleasant enough experience that Kaff will accept staying in A.L. instead of R.L.

This implies that we'll have a way for A.L. Kaff to talk with the rest of his staff.

Hmm. A little immortality, as an artificial lifeform. It's not the first treatment of the idea in fiction.

Which blurs the line a bit. Where is the line of life and death, when death is just an AI gateway? When your gestalt can be turned into a computer simulation, heck it can be turned into multiple simulations -- what would it mean to have 5 AI copies of you, and three regrown copies of you?

What will happen to the concept of "Life" in this post-longevity world?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Ahh, here's my bet (I'll put 20Q on this on the Erf forums if you want):

This is Petey's VR. Petey has stated that he wants to take some sociopaths out of circulation. So, he's trying to make a pleasant enough experience that Kaff will accept staying in A.L. instead of R.L.

This implies that we'll have a way for A.L. Kaff to talk with the rest of his staff.

Hmm. A little immortality, as an artificial lifeform. It's not the first treatment of the idea in fiction.

Which blurs the line a bit. Where is the line of life and death, when death is just an AI gateway? When your gestalt can be turned into a computer simulation, heck it can be turned into multiple simulations -- what would it mean to have 5 AI copies of you, and three regrown copies of you?

What will happen to the concept of "Life" in this post-longevity world?
    Well, didn't the Bradicor die out because they uploaded their brains into computers and then forgot who was who?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Well, didn't the Bradicor die out because they uploaded their brains into computers and then forgot who was who?
    The system was destroyed in what were called The Personality Wars. But I don't recall much more.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    As I recall, the Bradicor were split into two groups: the ones who replaced their brains with Schlock-style memory banks, and the ones who uploaded themselves into computers. Pretty sure the ones who uploaded themselves into computers died because of computer failures, not because of forgetting who they were.

9. - Top - End - #219

I personally am very happy that they actually make backups.

I think i made clear that i found the idea of them lacking backups to be a bigger plot hole than them suddenly having one.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Though now I have to wonder why Tagon recorded that goodbye message to his father, if they could just copy him out into a new body from the backup.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Though now I have to wonder why Tagon recorded that goodbye message to his father, if they could just copy him out into a new body from the backup.
    Because he was going to die?
    It's not as if the back-up is the same person.
    He will just have Tagon’s personality and memories up to ~a hour before the original’s death
    Schlock was pretty depressed because of something along those lines some time ago.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I am going to say he was a bit too in the moment, The idea that he can blow himself up and get rebuilt from a back up is very likely to not be in his conscious thought stream for years. He has spent 40 years with the idea that "If I blow up I am gone" and a few months with the idea "if I blow up they can rebuild me"

13. - Top - End - #223

the Tagon that lived that extra 45 minutes is dead.

He is the one who came at certain realizations. And needed to say Goodbye.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

The "Continuity Flaw" is one concept that is woven throughout Schlockverse, almost as if the author intended for a large portion of his work to reflect this and subvert popular character immortality. We kind dodged it when Tagon died the first time and Kevyn literally travelled back in time to save him. No so much any more.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    The "Continuity Flaw" is one concept that is woven throughout Schlockverse, almost as if the author intended for a large portion of his work to reflect this and subvert popular character immortality. We kind dodged it when Tagon died the first time and Kevyn literally travelled back in time to save him. No so much any more.
    True, although it was glossed over when Kevyn gate-cloned himself before committing suicide.

16. - Top - End - #226

Score one for the AI

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    True, although it was glossed over when Kevyn gate-cloned himself before committing suicide.
    As memory serves, Kevyn used the "I'm not the person who blew up target Alpha" to excuse his killing of the not-so-security detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

18. - Top - End - #228

I don't believe the exact same person would ever do different things in the exact same scenario (though it is almost impossible to replicate a scenario exactly and the person wouldn't be quite the same after doing it once so you can't exactly test that without duplicating someone), so that is not a problem AI whose name I forgot!

19. - Top - End - #229

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    so that is not a problem AI whose name I forgot!
    His name is Tailor, because that's what he was created as--although he's been reprogrammed as more of a medical bot these days.

Anyway, the fact *this* Tagon has learned how he died might mean he would think harder about how to avoid that situation if it happened again, so put him in exactly the same situation and he might well behave differently. Impossible to tell, of course, since it's vanishingly unlikely he'll ever be in exactly the same situation...

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    His name is Tailor, because that's what he was created as--although he's been reprogrammed as more of a medical bot these days.

Anyway, the fact *this* Tagon has learned how he died might mean he would think harder about how to avoid that situation if it happened again, so put him in exactly the same situation and he might well behave differently. Impossible to tell, of course, since it's vanishingly unlikely he'll ever be in exactly the same situation...
    Shouldn't it be the opposite? Assured of his resilient backups, Tagon will fearlessly rush toward danger next time. The best part of it is he'll never remember the painful final moments, only the excitement of a bit before.

21. - Top - End - #231

BlackDragon

Shouldn't it be the opposite? Assured of his resilient backups, Tagon will fearlessly rush toward danger next time.
    Except this Tagon knows he's not the original. The original is dead and ain't coming back.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I wonder if Tailor is the one who created the backup, perhaps without Kaff knowing about it. IIRC, Tailor wasn't in any of the scenes after Kaff died, which would avoid the question of why he didn't tell anyone about the backup. It could even be that this is a backup of Tailor, who might have been destroyed by the Esspies.

I'm not sure I remember, but wasn't Tailor a gift from Karl to Kaff originally? Maybe preserving and updating Kaff's backup was something he did for Karl's and Kaff's benefit?

Shouldn't it be the opposite? Assured of his resilient backups, Tagon will fearlessly rush toward danger next time. The best part of it is he'll never remember the painful final moments, only the excitement of a bit before.
    He will experience any painful final moments, then die, then not remember anything. He'll know that there will be an identical replacement to take over, but he won't experience that.

23. - Top - End - #233

BlackDragon

Whoops. Unless I miss my guess, this strip is implying that Int-Aff-Int have got access to long gun technology somehow? That can't be good news.

24. - Top - End - #234

RedWizardGuy

Are they test firing it on Jupiter? Because it looks like they are test firing it on Jupiter, or a similar Gas Giant. And that talk about spacefaring sophonts adding their own lights to the sky isn't helping.

We know the Paanuri could take a lot of the energy output from their central star to power their Buuthandi. We know how Wormhole Cannons work. At least an entire planet worth of energy could be linked to powering one of those cannons and do so much damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slayn82 View Post
    Are they test firing it on Jupiter? Because it looks like they are test firing it on Jupiter, or a similar Gas Giant. And that talk about spacefaring sophonts adding their own lights to the sky isn't helping.
    Pretty sure they're test-firing from Jupiter, where their HQ is.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

All that jibber-jabbering, and we still don't know who created Kaff's backup and why they did it? Given all of the other things that haven't ever been explained, I wonder if we'll ever find out.

We have seen that UNS Int-Aff-Int has a base (headquarters?) on Europa. That's probably why factotum assumed it was them. All we know is that there is a button to press that may be on Europa. We don't know if the gun is there or if it is somewhere else.

We know the Paanuri could take a lot of the energy output from their central star to power their Buuthandi. We know how Wormhole Cannons work. At least an entire planet worth of energy could be linked to powering one of those cannons and do so much damage.
    Or maybe that have a huge anni plant or numerous smaller ones plus a lot a fuel. Whichever is more convenient. *shrug*
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-12-11 at 11:18 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Somebody just destroyed a natural body which was in hydrostatic equilibrium. That's way beyond the capabilities of the Long Gun.

If it was Jupiter that just went, that's even further beyond the capabilities of anything we currently know about.

Who is TW?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2016-12-11 at 01:04 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The two panels probably do not show the same location. (I doubt the person pushing the button blew themselves up.) We have no idea what was destroyed. Maybe a small asteroid?

How would hydrostatic equilibrium be relevant? Tiny objects can be in hydrostatic equilibrium. Why couldn't a long gun destroy something that's in hydrostatic equilibrium?

HT's signature looks like "TW." I don't know why.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-12-11 at 01:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post

HT's signature looks like "TW." I don't know why.
    TW is Travis Walton, Tayler's colorist. Howard's signature's on another panel.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

Howard's signature is harder to see on the starry background. The previous Sunday's strip has a better view of it.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.