New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Fluff Discussion XII - DIS FINGY GOT NO SQUIGZ IN IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I'd also like to think/hope that the Mantis' assumed recklessness comes from a desire to prove himself to his peers (Notice me, Senpai! *vomit*), rather than any c/overt stupidity.
    The Mantis Warriors don't have a chapter planet (it was given to the charcarodons - talk about bad luck with new neighbours), so don't do recruitment any more. I would assume that in such a situation, the process of moving from Scout to full marine is rather more flexible - you need to keep the tactical companies topped up properly, while also having your sneaky sniper marines to do sneaky sniper things. As such, if you're a Mantis Warriors Scout in m41.999, you've been a scout for eighty-a hundred years, and you're still a scout because you're damn good at it.

This isn't M41 though - Demetrius is a Fire Hawk now, so he can return from the deathwatch and start rebuilding his chapter. This kill-team is set around the time the Fire Hawks vanished - 963.M41. So Saiteq (I'm getting used to that name) has been a Mantis Warriors Scout for around fifty years, he's a damn good scout, and when recruited for the deathwatch finds that he's every bit as good a scout in heavy armour as he is in a camo-cloak. Lets say, he never fought in the Badab War itself, but Fifty Years sounds like a good amount of time to go from a new recruit to a precocious member of the deathwatch. He was probably recruited for the Badab war (or trained during it.) Saiteq spent his entire recruitment process with pictures of Fire Hawks as the targets on the shooting range - and now he's fighting alongside what is, by all means, the last one.

Saiteq was the best in his entire company - probably among the best outside the First Company. Now one member of his team keeps calling him "Betrayer", and at least two others won't hold eye contact. Damn right he has a lot to prove.

(Twenty years later, the Fire Hawks are officially judged "Extinct". Demetrius leaves the Deathwatch, returns to his old livery, and starts rebuilding his chapter, largely by recruiting from other chapters. Who do you reckon ends up as his Scout Captain?)
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2016-11-17 at 05:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    The Mantis Warriors don't have a chapter planet ... so don't do recruitment any more.
    Wrong. Crusade Chapters recruit from any world they come across that appears to have suitable stock. Black Templars don't have a Chapter Planet, and they number close to 8000 or so. If not having a Chapter planet somehow prevented you from recruiting, Crusade Chapters would not exist. At all.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Black Templars don't have a Chapter Planet, and they number close to 8000 or so.
    I'm fairly sure that you meant to say 1000 marines, eh CG, wink wink nudge nudge, being that they're totally a codex compliant chapter and all and would totally never break any rules by going overstrength while purging the dirty xenos from the Emperor's galaxy. Yep, definately must have meant to type 1000, easy mistake to make...

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Wrong. Crusade Chapters recruit from any world they come across that appears to have suitable stock. Black Templars don't have a Chapter Planet, and they number close to 8000 or so. If not having a Chapter planet somehow prevented you from recruiting, Crusade Chapters would not exist. At all.
    I'm not "Wrong", thank you, I merely summarised.

It was further judged that the other surviving secessionist chapters would have to each undertake a hundred year penitent crusade to atone for their transgressions, and must do so without the right to recruit new brethren during this time.
    Imperial Armour, The Badab War Book II.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I'm not "Wrong", thank you, I merely summarised.
    Ah. So the fact that they don't recruit isn't because they don't have a homeworld, it's because they're specifically banned from doing so.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Yes- my apologies I implied otherwise.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

But now I want to write a story about a Mantis Warrior Scout titled Sins of the Fathers.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

8. - Top - End - #218
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

A title which, frankly, could apply to each and every Chapter in existence.

....Except maybe the Celestial Lions, and even then their "Sins" were more like the good intentions which we all know pave the way to the cold place.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

9. - Top - End - #219

Black Templars have never been stated to be 8000 strong, they're only around 1200-2000 strong (3-4 crusades with the documented one being around 450 strong) in pretty much every source going back to 3rd ed, with 3-4000 being only rumoured. With 2-4 Fighting Companies per crusade they don't even have an abnormal number of companies for a Space Marine chapter, its just that their companies are 120-220 strong.

Since the Ultramarines are at least 1200 strong normally if you actually add them up, the Black Templars are barely over codex strength.

Black Templars also have a vastly higher proportion of neophytes to full marines, due to massive attrition rates caused by an obsession with blunt force idiot tactics (ignoring the codex astartes doesn't make you smart, sorry Guilliman haters).
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2016-11-18 at 08:27 AM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

10. - Top - End - #220

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Black Templars have never been stated to be 8000 strong, they're only around 1200-2000 strong (3-4 crusades with the documented one being around 450 strong) in pretty much every source going back to 3rd ed, with 3-4000 being only rumoured. .
    Codex Black Templars (4th Edition) stated outright that they were 5-6,000 strong.

The most recent tally in Eternal Crusader (2014) says that they are currently back down to 1,000. The author, Guy Haley, has since said that the Templars vary greatly depending on the time period and the conflict, and will fluctuate between Codex Compliant and radically oversubscribed.
    The important thing to remember is that the Templars don't actually care; they recruit whoever they like and attrition sees to the rest.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2016-11-18 at 08:53 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Also they kinda get away with it cuz they never have all of the Templars together at the same time, so people like the Inquisition get less pissy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Codex Black Templars (4th Edition) stated outright that they were 5-6,000 strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codex Black Templars
    There are usually no more than three Crusades at any one time, though there are occasionally many more. Indeed, the Black Templars' own history shows that during the Treachery of Dalmark, there were as many as fourteen Crusades fighting across the Segmentum Solar. The size of a Crusade can also vary widely, sometimes as few as fifty to a hundred warriors, sometimes the equivalent of several Companies from a Codex Chapter. Only the High Marshal of the Chapter has any idea how many Black Templar Space Marines there are, but it is obvious that they are far more numerous than most conventional Chapters, although dispersed over a much wider area. If certain accounts are to be believed, they could even be as strong as five to six thousand battle brethren in total, a force that would be all but unstoppable if ever gathered in a single place.
    That's not stating anything outright. Its just that everyone naturally wants to believe the 'rumoured' number as the correct one even if it doesn't add up and some people inflate it over that because they feel like it.

Three crusades equivalent to several companies in size is just not that big a chapter and the description of 'mini' crusades implies that when there's more than three crusades that doesn't have to mean their numbers have massively increased. For there to be 5-6000 it would require 4000 to be sitting around Chapter Keeps in reserve rather than crusading which kind of goes against the point of the Black Templars.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Also they kinda get away with it cuz they never have all of the Templars together at the same time, so people like the Inquisition get less pissy.
    Paranoia is the Inquisition's job. They've had more codex compliant chapters wiped out than spent time pissing off the big name legion building suspects.
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2016-11-20 at 03:09 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Also worth noting, besides the fact that they're spread out, is that they're not setting up fortresses beyond Chapter Keeps, and not setting themselves up as rulers.

They're out doing the Emperor's work, not stopping to bask in the glory of it. they're kicking alien ass, and asking no reward for it, beyond being allowed to do it. They're not the Astral Claws, trying to become tyrants of a local sector, but a bunch of guys that can't sit down for five minutes, who will quite happily head off outside the Imperium to kill bad guys.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

I do think a much more deciding factor is that space is HUGE. And the Imperium is a gigantic garbled bureaucracy.

To keep track of if there is 1000 or 2000 Black Space Marines is an impossible task. Especially when they dont have any fixed base and instead moves around randomly on their own. Both when warp travel muddles the issue, and when reports of what Marines that actually came can be hard to keep track of.

Im sure there are a lot of other chapters that could be confused with Black Templars.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So our DM is having us write in character reports for our Dark Heresy game, detailing adventures thus far, and our recent encounter with a pack of Necrons.

I'm trying to come up with some military sounding acronym, which just happens to spell out N.E.C.R.ON. Does the playground have thoughts?

My best so far is National security Enemy Causing Retreating Officers and NCOs, but this doesn't really fit with how we fought them.

Adding in: N class threat, Engage at Company strength, Request Ordinance Now.
    Last edited by Demon 997; 2016-11-21 at 05:36 PM.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demon 997 View Post
    So our DM is having us write in character reports for our Dark Heresy game, detailing adventures thus far, and our recent encounter with a pack of Necrons.

I'm trying to come up with some military sounding acronym, which just happens to spell out N.E.C.R.ON. Does the playground have thoughts?

My best so far is National security Enemy Causing Retreating Officers and NCOs, but this doesn't really fit with how we fought them.

National
    Emergency
    Crisis/Contingency
    Response
    Ordinance =
    Nukes.
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2016-11-21 at 06:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Adding in: N class threat, Engage at Company strengthNominal Enemy Casualties, Request Ordinance Now.!
    Fixed.

10 char.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Shouldn't that be "No Enemy Casualties, Request Ordnance Now!"? They are Necrons, after all.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

NOPE!
    Escape...
    Crap!
    Run!
    Oh noes!
    Nuke it from orbit.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2016-11-21 at 11:16 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Shouldn't that be "No Enemy Casualties, Request Ordnance Now!"? They are Necrons, after all.
    If it's anything like the games I played on the weekend, that's exactly how it should read.

21. - Top - End - #231

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    If it's anything like the games I played on the weekend, that's exactly how it should read.
    If it's the same game I played this weekend, we downed them just fine. They just wouldn't stay dead, and then teleported out.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

22. - Top - End - #232

MonkGuy

Need Evacuation. Company Retreating. Opposition Near.

Negative. Exterminatus Confirmed. Range Optimal - Now.

23. - Top - End - #233

Kobold

Nonorganic
    Enemy with
    Combat
    Revivification.
    Optimal response:
    Nukes.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Finally finished painting my Goff Rockers, had plenty of fun making the stage and tried to incorporate the colors of the official Electric Mayhem,....sort of. Realized after the fact that I should have painted the trukk as the original bus,....but....red is for speed metal I suppose!

Spoiler: Dr Teef n der Elektrik Mayhem
    Show
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Kind of hard to read the words on the rear under the stage with the lighting, but there's a gold star with the words "Bak Stage" and "Zog Off". Also the "Volme" lever on the speaker goes "Sum", "Nuff" and "11".

Wasn't really happy with the lighting attempts around the torches so any suggests are more than welcome!
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2016-11-28 at 09:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Finally finished painting my Goff Rockers...
    Spoiler: Dr Teef n der Elektrik Mayhem
    Show
    [IMG] [/IMG]

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Finally finished painting my Goff Rockers, had plenty of fun making the stage and tried to incorporate the colors of the official Electric Mayhem,....sort of. Realized after the fact that I should have painted the trukk as the original bus,....but....red is for speed metal I suppose!
    Brilliant! thats the sort of wackyness that makes me love to play against orks
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

I finished kitbashing together my Kill Team. I gotta say, the Deathwatch kit is disappointing: plenty of options, but all sculpted in the same few ways. Still, that's what bits boxes are for, and I can make back a chunk of money by selling the frag cannon.

Kill Team Argent

Prognosticator Argent, Silver Skulls (Librarian, Team Leader)

Preferring to co-ordinate the efforts of the team from a distance, Argent is a powerful diviner and farseer, with a particular expertise in the runes of the Eldar, and a library of divinatory tomes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Blackshield, codename "Furnace"

The blackshield only known as Furnace arrived at the watch fortress a significant amount of time ago, with the psy-stench of warptime dilation and an archaic pattern of thunder hammer.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sargeant Ran-Daan, Mentor Legion
    Sargeant of the kill team, and leader of their efforts in the field, Ran-Daan is a veteran of long service working with the imperial guard and inquisition, and experienced with many different mission tactics and attack patterns.
    Spoiler
    Show

Knight-Veteran Demetrius, Fire Hawks
    A grim, unswerving warrior, Demetrius acquitted himself well in the first company of the Fire Hawks and was tipped for a company captaincy or champion role before being seconded to the deathwatch.
    Spoiler
    Show

Scout Saiteq, Mantis Warriors

The first Mantis Warrior to be recruited to the Deathwatch since the Badab war, Saiteq came highly recommended due to his scouting and stealth skills.
    Spoiler
    Show

Marksman Isaak Elijah, Raptors
    A long-time deathwatch veteran, Elijah was recruited after completing an assassination mission against two tau ethereals, despite losing a leg to an attack by stealth suits.
    Spoiler
    Show

Brother Rowan, Emperor's Pointy Sticks Staves

A penchant for high explosives and the... casual temperament of the Emperor's Staves chapter may not seem like a natural combination, but Rowan has proven an effective demolitions trooper, for targets sufficiently far away from the rest of his team. Or any civilians, or any weak buildings.
    Spoiler
    Show

Brother Aeschlyos, Minotaurs

Aeschlyos is noted for his wildness in battle, usually wielding twinned power weapons and attacking the largest possible groups of enemies. When properly directed - usually by Demetrius and Elijah - this makes him a highly effective warrior.
    Spoiler
    Show

Davlan Kane, Sons Of Medusa
    A veteran of the fierce shipboard fighting during the badab war, Bane is an expert in the operation and maintenance of heavy and special weapons, and acts as the team's engineer, largely to keep Rowan from the job.
    Spoiler
    Show

Brother Darien, Hawk Lords
    A veteran pilot and assault marine, Darien took to ground operations and retrained for stealth during his time with Elijah and Saiteq.
    Spoiler
    Show

I also have six other guys, plus a Contemptor Dreadnought, but nobody cares since they're not named.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2016-12-02 at 07:45 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Not sure if your links are busted (I assume there's meant to be pictures there in the spoilers?) or my internet is all wonky since it's been playing up lately.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Can't see any of the pictures. Trying to quote and copy paste gets access forbidden, so I'm assuming there's a permissions issue.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Knew I couldn't trust Google Drive. Pictures should be fixed by now. EDIT: Except they're upside down, because thats the kind of thing Dropbox thinks is funny?
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2016-12-02 at 07:35 AM.