New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Orcs in Oots (SoD spoilers)

Can't remember and don't have SoD, but were orcs one of the races created as xp fodder? If so, what's their stance on The Dark One?
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Orcs in Oots (SoD spoilers)

All the "monstrous humanoid" races were, if the Dark One is to be believed. I tend to think he's understating it because of his...specific interests...and almost all the monstrous races (all the races that, outside the fourth wall, were in fact created for PCs to fight) were.

The orcs have no relationship with the Dark One. He's the god of goblinoids, not of all monstrous humanoids or all creatures given the shaft by the creator gods. Most likely, if the Dark One got his way, he would immediately ditch the idea of making any effort to improve the lives of anyone who isn't a goblinoid; the new goblin adventurers would have a use for XP fodder, after all.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    The orcs have no relationship with the Dark One. He's the god of goblinoids, not of all monstrous humanoids or all creatures given the shaft by the creator gods. Most likely, if the Dark One got his way, he would immediately ditch the idea of making any effort to improve the lives of anyone who isn't a goblinoid; the new goblin adventurers would have a use for XP fodder, after all.
    My suspicion is that it would be perfectly possible for a large number of orcs to suddenly start worshiping the Dark One, leading him to have an incentive in making life better for all those new worshipers as well. They haven't done so yet, possibly because they tend not to live in large societies in which the idea of a single deity like that could spread. (The only orc community we've seen in-comic has been an isolated island.)

If I remember correctly, Gobbotopia is supposedly welcoming all types of monstrous humanoids to settle there. That could theoretically lead to worship of the Dark One eventually getting established among those new non-goblin immigrants, due to their close contact with all the goblinoids.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Possibility: the main reason (or a reason) orcs were created in world 2.0 was so that half-orc PCs could exist. thog likes existing

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was mention of Orcs as a PC race. From what we've seen, orcs get less representation as a race than goblins. Unless Thog ascends.
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rift_Wolf View Post
    Unless Thog ascends.
    Perhaps you stumbled upon the true ending of OOTS there

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Orcs/heavy metal fans. Good call by Rich. Given my experiences over the years with some serious head bangers, orcs was the perfect fit.