New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default warforged tank feats

hi, im making a lvl 6 warforged fighter with ademantine body, a towershield and a flail. ive only ever played tactical dps, so this is my first time playing a full on tank. so my question is, what feats should i pick? ive been looking at some various feats like: improved bullrush and cometary collision. also im not sure if i should go for weapon focus and specialization since im going full tank and maybe they are a waste of feats, although its always awesome with extra atk bonus and dam. so anyone have some genius tank feats? also if there is a particular prestige class youre thinking about. ps all 3.5 books allowed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: warforged tank feats

What are you hoping to accomplish with this character that couldn't be accomplished by a chair or a stepladder?
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

i will ask the same question i was asked when i wanted to do this same thing XD
    What do you want a Tank to do? in video games the tank is the guy who takes the damage and aggro, but dnd has no aggro system so you will not be forcing the enemies to attack you. Being able to absorb a lot of dmg wont help if the enemies have no good reason to attack you.

But i am guessing you mean something like a charger, who rushes in and stays in the melee untill all the bodies drop.
    a good dungeoncrasher fighter shock trooper will probably do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The Goad feat forces a save from an opponent or this opponent must attack you. This is the kind of feats you want. Unfortunately, the save is Cha-based, and as a Warforged you won't have the best of Cha modifiers.
    Else, Martial Stance: Thicket of Blades allows you to make attacks of opportunity on opponents who make 5ft-steps. This is very useful to make it more difficult to avoid you. You will need, however, another prerequisite: Martial Study: any Devoted Spirit maneuver. As it happens, this discipline is full of tank-oriented material, so you can pick Crusader's Strike. Once per encounter, as a standard action, make a single attack against someone having one alignment component opposed to one of yours, and you or someone 10ft around gain 1d6+3 HPs.

At this point, however, it might be simpler to play a Warforged Crusader.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Harpoons. Invest in a set.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, if April fools articles are on the table, Delicious isn't too bad as a flaw for a tank. Everything will want to eat you!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    You know, if April fools articles are on the table, Delicious isn't too bad as a flaw for a tank. Everything will want to eat you!
    The first thing that pops in my mind is a warforged who scrapes his armored skin and then a bunch of cats and dogs show up looking for canned foods.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    If that is where this is going, take weresheep inbstead.. free lycanthropy.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

You know, the Knight class has something a lot like a taunt effect, with its "Knight's Challenge" feature. If memory serves, people start getting in a situation where they have to fight you, or take negatives.

Are Eberron feats on the table? The Pursue feat would let you maintain melee range against people who try to get away from you without provoking an attack of opportunity.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    You know, the Knight class has something a lot like a taunt effect, with its "Knight's Challenge" feature. If memory serves, people start getting in a situation where they have to fight you, or take negatives.

Are Eberron feats on the table? The Pursue feat would let you maintain melee range against people who try to get away from you without provoking an attack of opportunity.
    true, but knight is an absolutely abysmal class. it'd be weird to have warforged without eberron stuff being allowed. pursue is a good effect, but it's fueled by action points for some ridiculous reason. you can get a similar effect with evasive reflexes and use it as many times as you like.

as said, there is no "tank" in an mmo context in dnd. if you are just interested in being a melee brute, look at eberron campaign setting's warforged juggernaut. it's well-suited to your goals. qualify with dungeoncrasher fighter, dip lion totem barbarian for pounce, and fill out the rest with frenzied berserker. you'll be able to beat up all the bad guys you want.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

There are also the Parry feats, can't recall the Drag mag, but it lets you block melee attacks around you, though it burns up your attacks of opportunity from Combat Reflexes

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    If that is where this is going, take weresheep inbstead.. free lycanthropy.
    I wonder if there's some cheese made possible here by getting lycanthropy on non-humanoids and non-giants?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!