New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Supergirl: Tyler Hoechlin Superman is Best Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    It's been awhile since I watched the show. But wasn't there a season where all Laurel did was get drunk, complain, and make everyone elses lives worse?
    The general rule in Arrow is that whoever is currently dating Oliver just becomes totally, wildly useless for a whole season, and then whenever they break up she gets awesome again.

To be fair, this is a rule that only has two examples. But it's a pretty strong guideline.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

^^^ I (apparently very wisely) skipped seasons 3 and 4 of Arrow. So Laurel is just a random character they didn't know what to with but was then killed offscreen far as I'm concerned.

As for latest episode, I was being dumb looking around online to see what people were saying and they were saying Reverse-Diggle... OK, Jimmy, it's over. Clear your desk, you're done here.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

- Hey Winn, we have like around 20 soldiers that keep getting hurt since they go against alien forces, did you ever consider making these shields to the agents?
    - No! Superheroes only!
    - Maybe to one or two elite agents? Just for Alex even?
    - Do you see her wearing a mask?! I don't.
    - You do realize you used OUR resources to make that suit, right?
    - Nope, nothing immoral here, move along.

Also, did they run out of alien ideas that they thought it was necessary to use "The Thing"?
    Last edited by random11; 2016-11-15 at 11:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

So Jimmy is Steel, Mon-El is Superboy, I assume Cadmus has Cyborg Superman on a table somewhere, can we get Eradicator in for a full Reign of the Supermen?
    Now with half the calories!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    So says you.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Not impressed by this episode.
    The Thing rip-off, countries casually letting supposedly top secret agencies from other countries come in and do their thing, the extreme idiocy of the DEO in their handling of the situation ("everybody dead and drained except this one guy? Welp, nothing to see here, better let the very suspicious guy go without checking things out."), how Jimmy just casually walks into the DEO whenever he pleases - yeah, he's the Supes' best bud but come on. Winn just appropriating expensive **** to make suits exclusively for his friend and not, like, every field agent in the DEO. Jimmy wanting to keep this secret.
    Kara casually picking up highly dangerous material which I can only imagine was just lying around unguarded to kill Parasite.

The sheer number of stupid ideas in this episode was painful.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post

From what I've seen, the action is pulling off a good vintage style.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2016-11-16 at 01:15 PM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

People have been kind of harsh on this show and some of it I get, but a lot of it I don't. Jimmy's story line has admittedly been bad. It's like they didn't know what they were doing with him, so they decided to make him a hero, but it comes out of nowhere and doesn't really fit with the tone of the rest of the show. And like was pointed out by random11, there are a lot of plot holes that this causes.

But there was a ton of awesome stuff that happened in this episode! Parasite was probably the best villain the show has done (though his motivations could have used a rewrite). I love how the alien bar has become a main setting for the show. Kara getting drunk for the first time! Mon-el getting free drinks non-stop! Mon-el stepping up as a hero was a believable progression that didn't over do it. Alex's finally coming out took what could have been a very cliche scene and added another layer to it that I didn't expect. Maggie's disinterest was also completely understandable (and I was kind of on Maggie's side on that one).

So yeah, there's a lot to like about the episode, despite some flaws.
    Playing Pokemon Y

Friend Code: 4914-4022-6171

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Not impressed by this episode.
    The Thing rip-off, countries casually letting supposedly top secret agencies from other countries come in and do their thing, the extreme idiocy of the DEO in their handling of the situation ("everybody dead and drained except this one guy? Welp, nothing to see here, better let the very suspicious guy go without checking things out."), how Jimmy just casually walks into the DEO whenever he pleases - yeah, he's the Supes' best bud but come on. Winn just appropriating expensive **** to make suits exclusively for his friend and not, like, every field agent in the DEO. Jimmy wanting to keep this secret.
    Kara casually picking up highly dangerous material which I can only imagine was just lying around unguarded to kill Parasite.

So you're saying Supergirl has finished the transition period and is now a full-on CW show?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Pong Along View Post
    People have been kind of harsh on this show and some of it I get, but a lot of it I don't. Jimmy's story line has admittedly been bad. It's like they didn't know what they were doing with him, so they decided to make him a hero, but it comes out of nowhere and doesn't really fit with the tone of the rest of the show. And like was pointed out by random11, there are a lot of plot holes that this causes.
    I don't think people are harsh on this show.
    I think they are just afraid that the same thing that happened in Arrow and Flash will also take place here.

Compared to them, Super-girl is still the best DC superhero show (not comparing it to Legends of Tomorrow since it's a different kind of show), and all signs are showing that the writers ran out of ideas and start to take the easy route of all the other shows.
    I think I am critical of the flaws because they remind me of what happened to the other shows.
    I WANT this show to succeed, I want this to be different, I want the writers to just take the concept and have fun with it like it was on the start or at the beginning of this season, and the last thing I want is for it to be like the Flash.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Intruder detected, identify yourself!
    System recognizes Kryptonian blood on your hands, please carry on.

Superman needs a serious upgrade for his security system...

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

New episode.

First, something I don't consider as a spoiler, if anyone expected it to be the first part of the cross-over, prepare to be disappointed.
    I do not count 30 seconds at the end of the episode with "come to our universe" as a part one of a crossover, and neither should them.

As for the rest of the comments:
    Spoiler
    Show

1) Might be nitpicking, but can someone explain why a Kryptonian uses a mythological creature from earth as a name for a project?

2) Now that we have a new love relationship, two questions before the inevitable return to the status que: How long will they drag this "romance", and how will it break.

3) Speaking of Status que, that was the stupidest excuse not to tell the truth about the whole "guardian suit" thing.

4) And speaking of not telling the truth, how many more times will we use the same plot twist where Lena seems to be working for Cadmus but in fact try to sabotage them? If I'm not mistaken that was the third time this season.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Observation:
    Strange that they managed to write a really good Coming Out story (at least to me, who is a straight man) while in the same episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    layered on the environmental preaching so thick it was truly annoying.

Also, please note I agree with the ideas in the episode, but that part was truly a "Very Special Episode"
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

S02e09, Supergirl Lives was alright.

Spoiler
    Show

The solar grenade at the end was fun. If they gave her a solar suit like Superboy had at first in Young Justice... then she'd probably be too unstoppable for a CW series....

Nevermind.

Melissa Benoist is still bringing wonderful energy and physicality to her role. This series is fun to watch. With the choices they've made, it's a bit like a chunk of a live action version of the DCAU Justice League/JLU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

15. - Top - End - #75

RogueGuy

Okay, so I just binged watch the first season.

I have to say, I don't mind changing Jimmy's race. But changing him to be so,.... Tall and muscle-y? It kind of ruined his character for me. It would have been a little cool to have someone like, Donald Glover or someone who seemed to be more of a Jimmy Olson type. It kept taking me out of the show when I would watch, get used to him, and then they reference him being the noob phothog that followed Superman around. He was a good character though, just wish he was someone else. Either actor or someone who was sent over.

Lord being luther was meh.

Cat Grant was cool. I found her annoying, not in a good way. A pretty cheap rip off of the Devil wears prada motif. I am glad they didn't keep it up though the whole series. I have to admit, the episode where she reunites with her son. That was a good episode.

The episodes where pretty good. Except, well, they kind blew all the standard superman motiffs in the first season. Red Krytonite, losing her powers, and all the kind of stuff. What are they keeping for the reason of the seasons. I think the only one they didn't do was the groundhog day episode. It really bothered me that Jimmy never onced said. Hey this happened to Superman one time. "Oh yeah, Supergirl is affected by red kryptonite." You know. Stuff like that. Also, I feel like they came out with WAY to much technology that should have made Supergirl far less of a threat. I mean, they have all this tech that can capture aliens and hold them indefinitely. Yet, Kryptons are so far beyond us. And the Kryptons, WAY to many of them. I mean they should have been able to find the good guys and just... Kill them. It was weird how they would be such a threat one epidsode, then just. Disappear.

Superman, I don't get it. I mean, I get the legal reasons and all the stuff. Just, it felt so empty without anything coming from that side. They made family such a big motif in this season, yet. Nothing from Superman. He did nothing to help. I don't mean saving her. Just, training with her, being there for her. They made so much stuff up about her feeling alone. Yet, there is someone out there that has been there for some of what she experienced, and just... nothing. Superman was just not ... I mean, there are so many kryptons around and he doesn't fly over and isn't like. Hey, how are you guys. What was our world like. Why don't we stop fighting, and try to get along. Like, there was that one scene where Martian Manhunter is teaching Supergirl how to fly. He's like I can't do this but one time, otherwise they will catch me. It brought me out of the scene, and all I could think of was, Yeah? but Superman can. I can totally see Superman in that scene. A lot of scenes like that where he is teaching her about her abilities. There are a couple scenes where she would gush over Superman, or him as Kal-el. Then the next moment, he doesn't exist again. This all culminated in the last episode. I get that this is Supergirl. But, to just sit there and treat superman like a pair of boots on a table. That was...So BAD. This world that idolized Superman, even Kara did. Yet, nothing. Not a word or even a concerned look over the fact that he is STILL OUT when everyone else is pretty much fine. Kara didn't even give him a second glance. Well, so much for family right?

Uh, now to Supergirl. I tried watching the show before and couldn't get past the first episode. Just the way Kara acted, the Jimmy, and Cat thing. It was just to...I don't know. I didn't much care for it. I must admit I didn't care for the actor who player her either. At first, I didn't think she looked anything like Supergirl. I buckled down and forced myself to watch a couple episodes. Something cool happen though. I like it, she grew on me. It was a good experience. I have to admit my favorite moment that made her Supergirl for me. Was when she lost her powers and was trying to save the one guy, and as cheesy as it was the Store scene too. That moment made me like the show.

ON the subject of Tyler Hoechlin. I don't know if I am going to like him as Superman/Clark Kent. Not saying I am going in hating him. Just...Christoper Reeves will always be Superman to me. I think some people and roles were just made for each other. I think that was his. Tyler Hoechlin, now this might be me being biased, but he comes off as to predatory looking. Like he is a wolf. I don't know, to me he would look like some season villian that would beat the crap out of Supergirl.

Just asking though, I haven't watched the new season, I just want to know. Do they go Arrow with the show? I mean do they amp up the melodrama to 11? Cause that would turn me off on the show pretty bad.
    Last edited by Kyberwulf; 2017-02-09 at 03:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

It's a CW show. They're required to spend half of each episode on cheap melodrama.

Tyler does a good job as Superman in the first two eps of s2, which also gives us Metallo, Luthors, and (coming up) Mxyzptlk.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It's a CW show. They're required to spend half of each episode on cheap melodrama.
    Emphasis on the word cheap. Have actors emote up on the screen is much cheaper than fight scenes and special effects.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    It would have been a little cool to have someone like, Donald Glover or someone who seemed to be more of a Jimmy Olson type.
    ...I didn't know I wanted this until just this moment.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Tyler does a good job as Superman in the first two eps of s2, which also gives us Metallo, Luthors, and (coming up) Mxyzptlk.
    Yes, there is heavy melodrama in season 2. All sorts of angst and anger from interpersonal relationships. But I think they do a good job with it. I really don't mind it. See, the problem with the first season- Kara not used to being a superhero, is solved by the end. So how do you challenge the character- throw bigger monsters at her? Yes, some. A world-wide conspiracy? Sure. But that would rapidly get boring. A live action, 1 hour show can't be the same as a half-hour cartoon.

So they are using the interpersonal drama to drive home the point that she isn't Superman. She isn't some all-powerful god-like loner. And because she chooses to try to maintain connections with humanity, it costs her.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

20. - Top - End - #80

The show is also going out of its way to paint her as lacking the maturity for most of those relationships. It makes me look back fondly on the days when my kids were tweens.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    So they are using the interpersonal drama to drive home the point that she isn't Superman. She isn't some all-powerful god-like loner. And because she chooses to try to maintain connections with humanity, it costs her.
    I haven't really been keeping up with episodes, but I don't think modern Superman has particularly separated himself from humanity. He still has the day-job, the hot girlfriend, the family farm, and gossip around the watchtower's water-cooler, right? Did that change lately?
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    I haven't really been keeping up with episodes, but I don't think modern Superman has particularly separated himself from humanity. He still has the day-job, the hot girlfriend, the family farm, and gossip around the watchtower's water-cooler, right? Did that change lately?
    Admittedly, it is hard to judge in this case. With the Flash/Supergirl cross-over, they established the multiverse. But it does seem that this Superman is relatively isolated- no mention of him visiting Kara as she grew up, Jimmy Olsen leaving Metropolis, few other superheroes (Batman mentioned obliquely, Martian Manhunter not allied with Superman, etc). They did mention that Superman and LEx Luthor used to be good friends, but Superman could never see the bad in Lex- even with proof- until it was too late. The implication was that Superman pulled away after being betrayed.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

23. - Top - End - #83

I don't like Mon-El and Supergirl's romance. They don't have any chemistry, and the characters are extremely mismatched. Granted given that the writers broke up James and Kara in the first episode of season 2 because of fan backlash, hopefully they'll break up Mon El and Kara before the season ends. I'm not going to watch any future episodes until this happens.

The series is still tainted with that poorly written romantic subplot, but at least it will start to be bearable once it is over.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    They did mention that Superman and Lex Luthor used to be good friends, but Superman could never see the bad in Lex- even with proof- until it was too late. The implication was that Superman pulled away after being betrayed.
    That sounds interesting- is it just mentioned in passing or are they planning to flesh that out in flashbacks at some point?
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

25. - Top - End - #85

Since the show is called Supergirl, I doubt we're getting anything more than that mention.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Since the show is called Supergirl, I doubt we're getting anything more than that mention.
    True, but with momma Luthor being the main villain, we do get hints.

Spoiler: latest episode, beefs
    Show

Is anyone but me getting tired of the whole 'good guys are dumb' plot mechanism? You give someone clearance BEFORE you think to check and see if you can read his mind? Seriously? You just send Supergirl and Sillysister to recover the person who just beat the tar out of MM and a tactical team? Seriously? The moment you see momma Luthor, you start talking to your dad instead off double-tapping the main villain? Seriously? You take off flying to save the train, and don't think to scoop up momma Luthor on your way? Seriously?
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

27. - Top - End - #87

The thing to remember about CW heroes is that they have Idiot Balls surgically implanted somewhere in their bodies. I'm pretty sure Barry has at least three.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Dating a co-worker requires a talk to the HR, forms and a seminar.
    Returning after years of being kidnapped and forced to work for the enemy gives you instant access to everything.

Glad they have priorities.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

Overall, Supergirl is a lot of fun, and it was nice to actually see a non-mopey Superman--mopey is Batman's job. My favorite Superman is still Bruce Timm's--smart, nice guy, but no pushover.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Dating a co-worker requires a talk to the HR, forms and a seminar.
    Returning after years of being kidnapped and forced to work for the enemy gives you instant access to everything.

Glad they have priorities.
    See previous comment in re: Idiot Balls.