New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Supergirl: Tyler Hoechlin Superman is Best Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    [the audience all starts to agree, as the camera pans to Paul Dini and Bruce Timm in the audience]

Bruce W. Timm: Meh.
    I remember that scene, but I didn't recognise Timm and Dini. That's hilarious.

I'm crazy about the very earliest Superman stories myself, though I consider most subsequent versions to be kind of watered down. I don't think the smiley jocular Superman actually makes all that much sense if his world even slightly resembles ours, but Hoechlin certainly does a very good rendition.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Did the alien dive bar kind of remind anyone else of Lorne's demon bar from Angel? I half expected a scene of some aliens playing poker with kittens.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I don't watch Supergirl but I'm surprised that someone who has no clue of who Metallo is, can give any opinion on which Superman is the best. Maybe an opinion of which one you liked the most between the ones you've seen, but that's all.

This is why everything that is based on pre-existing work does not respect this work. This is why Nolan's man dressed like a bat(*) exists

Ewww.

(*)during like on tenth of the movies duration.
    God I would pay with a leg if they erased the 90's from comic book history...
    Anyway, Eww right back to you.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

You're a Pokemon Y player? Well, what do you think if I say that I've only seen a few pokemon episodes but think that Pikachu is the best Pokemon?
    I'd think "okay, why are you trying to start a fight about it?"
    Now with half the calories!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

You're a Pokemon Y player? Well, what do you think if I say that I've only seen a few pokemon episodes but think that Pikachu is the best Pokemon?
    Well, we all know there are plenty of better Pokemon.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Besides, what really is there except the "Mainstream" superman? Not counting what-ifs like Red Son... that gives us:

Spoiler: I present to you: The Super-great versions of Superman!
    Show

Yes, all of these are from a certain Decade we should not mention, since the writing staff at DC and Marvel got replaced by brain slugs from Futurama at the time.

Spoiler: At least back in the day of gold and silver age, these stupid things were resolved in an issue or two:
    Show

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Pong Along View Post
    This was the first episode of the season without either Superman or Cat Grant. I hadn't realized the degree to which I was enjoying Superman until he was gone. For the time being though, I think it is important to keep his appearances to a minimum since this is a Supergirl show. Leaving the audience wanting more is a generally a good thing too.
    I agree about Superman, it's good to have him but he can't appear too much because it's Supergirl's show.
    What I don't understand is why Cat left.

She didn't take the focus away, in fact, she filled an important role that cannot be replaced by a different boss.
    Jimmy as the replacement seems rushed both in story-telling perspective and from common sense since he had no experience as a manager before that.

Is the actress going to a different show/movie? Did she ask for too much money? That's the only real reasons I can think about as for why it was done this way.

Lynda Carter makes her debut as the president. I found I preferred the idea of this casting more than the actual character. I'll admit I haven't seen anything more than clips from her show. Apologies to any of her fans, but I didn't really care for her character. She seemed like nothing but a talking head, which can work by the way, but the way Supergirl reacted to her went against this.
    The only thing I remember about this character is the "too good to be true" alarm bells that rang during the episode.

The themes of prejudice were a bit on the nose. I read an interesting review though that helped me appreciate some of the things I overlooked. J'onn is an alien that is for registration, while Maggie is a human that is for it. We have one character that has essentially denied himself a community to which he would belong while the other has integrated herself into the community despite not quite belonging. There's some cool stuff here, especially by the end when J'onn decides to give it a shot.
    Another show with the "registration" story. I hope that won't be the focus of this season since like any other show with the same message it suffers from the same flaw: It's not a good analogy to race/gender/religion/sexual preference if any alien we met so far can shoot lasers out of his eyes, invade minds or resistant to human weapons.

BTW, where did all the aliens came from?
    Until now, it made sense since the majority of them came from the same prison ship, which also explained why they were hostile.
    Is earth a popular tourist attraction? Come on, even "Man in Black" explained things better...

Another thing I disliked was Alex's interrogation of the one alien in the dive bar. I thought that was in rather poor taste. Is that all she knows? She's just opened her eyes to how much can be accomplished by warming up to this community and now she's trying to strangle someone with seat IN THE BAR. Go outside. Try another tactic first. Something. What if that guy had some super powered friends? How much danger would she be in?
    I agree.
    And to make things worse he asked for money, so the other option was right there on the table.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    I agree about Superman, it's good to have him but he can't appear too much because it's Supergirl's show.
    What I don't understand is why Cat left.

She didn't take the focus away, in fact, she filled an important role that cannot be replaced by a different boss.
    Jimmy as the replacement seems rushed both in story-telling perspective and from common sense since he had no experience as a manager before that.

Is the actress going to a different show/movie? Did she ask for too much money? That's the only real reasons I can think about as for why it was done this way.
    Unfortunately, it's that the actress didn't want to move. Callista Flockhart lives in Los Angeles, and is at a point in her life where she wants to stay there. When Supergirl got moved to the CW, it also got moved to Vancouver, and that means that Callista Flockhart can't commit to a full-season schedule. She's still willing to fly up for the occasional episode, but they can't use her all the time any more.

It is the one real casualty of the network change, because she was amazing in her role.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Yeah, what Friv said. Something that I don't believe has been confirmed is how many episodes she will actually be in. I think they could have softened the blow a bit better, because random11 said, it did feel jarring. If I were working on the show, I'd have dedicated more of last week's episode to this. There's a cool story they could have told about losing a mentor figure. It's kind of like losing your favorite teacher at the end of the school year. Sure that relationship isn't truly gone, but it's not quite the same as when you interacted with this person every day.

As for what random11 was saying about another show doing a registration plot, I think a lot of that is a sign of the times. It's weapon registration and prejudice wrapped into one and is something that would absolutely happen in the real world given the circumstances of these comic book worlds.
    Playing Pokemon Y

Friend Code: 4914-4022-6171

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Besides, what really is there except the "Mainstream" superman? Not counting what-ifs like Red Son... that gives us:
    There's the original original superman, which actually used crushing physical force to directly impose what he perceives as progressive social policies (without formally appointing himself god-emperor.) Which is kind of hilariously naive, and he sort of comes across as a thug and a bozo at times, but there's an endearing 'doing his best' quality to it, and a great deal of humour, and he's not ignoring 99% of what goes on across the planet.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    There's the original original superman, which actually used crushing physical force to directly impose what he perceives as progressive social policies (without formally appointing himself god-emperor.) Which is kind of hilariously naive, and he sort of comes across as a thug and a bozo at times, but there's an endearing 'doing his best' quality to it, and a great deal of humour, and he's not ignoring 99% of what goes on across the planet.
    See also Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, wherein Superman personally disarms the world's entire nuclear array without permission.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

This Episode were totally THE MOST SUBTLE THING EVER, they totally weren't preachy.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    This Episode were totally THE MOST SUBTLE THING EVER, they totally weren't preachy.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...eedToBeDropped

14. - Top - End - #44

PirateGuy

I think any claims of subtlety could be discarded with "and I say that not just as a martian, but as someone who's been masquerading as a black man."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    See also Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, wherein Superman personally disarms the world's entire nuclear array without permission.
    Uh... how badly do I need to watch this movie? I'd say it appears to be terrible, but for reasons largely independent of the opening premise.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

If that anvil gets dropped any more it is going to break through the floor of Bowser's Castle, We did not need an hour of a thinly veiled preaching about political views. No lets not focus on the secret organization making Kryptonite Powered Robots, who has agents infiltrating into the SUPER DUPER SECRET DEO because that is interesting, instead lets forget that to and somehow manage to make "XENOPHOBIA BAD" more dull and boring than The Inhuman's plot line in Agents of Shield is.

17. - Top - End - #47

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    If that anvil gets dropped any more it is going to break through the floor of Bowser's Castle, We did not need an hour of a thinly veiled preaching about political views. No lets not focus on the secret organization making Kryptonite Powered Robots, who has agents infiltrating into the SUPER DUPER SECRET DEO because that is interesting, instead lets forget that to and somehow manage to make "XENOPHOBIA BAD" more dull and boring than The Inhuman's plot line in Agents of Shield is.
    There's 22 episodes in this season. I think we can stand to have a couple not focus on Cadmus.

I understand how you feel. I remember as a kid when I stopped watching Captain Planet because it was too preachy. Xenophobia and racism are pretty important topics to discuss currently. Discrimination hasn't been stamped out and people are literally dying because of it. I agree the episode could have been done in a more interesting way that explored more of the complexities of the issue, but I don't fault them for bringing it up.
    Playing Pokemon Y

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I understand how you feel. I remember as a kid when I stopped watching Captain Planet because it was too preachy. Xenophobia and racism are pretty important topics to discuss currently. Discrimination hasn't been stamped out and people are literally dying because of it. I agree the episode could have been done in a more interesting way that explored more of the complexities of the issue, but I don't fault them for bringing it up.
    The problem is of course that Xenophobia is a survival trait thats deeply ingrained in the human mind. Its going to take an insane amount of stomping to even get partly rid of it.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

- Oh look, an alien fight club.
    <Irony>It was so original and unexpected!</Irony>

- It raises the question, with all the alien races and planets known to krypton (which included an Utopian culture), why was Superman sent to earth?

- Am I the only one who remembered the quote from "The Incredibles" about why costumes should never include a cape?

- Is there anyone who DIDN'T predict the twist at the end from the beginning of the episode?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

- Oh look, an alien fight club.
    <Irony>It was so original and unexpected!</Irony>

- It raises the question, with all the alien races and planets known to krypton (which included an Utopian culture), why was Superman sent to earth?
    Ask DC. It's not like the comics aren't filled with galaxies of super-advanced cultures.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Ask DC. It's not like the comics aren't filled with galaxies of super-advanced cultures.
    I don't have a problem with multiple alien planets, I have a problem with the Kryptons being fully aware of them.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

God I would pay with a leg if they erased the 90's from comic book history...
    Anyway, Eww right back to you.
    You just erased the majority of Sandman and Lucifet two of the greatest comics of all time.

Spoiler: I present to you: The Super-great versions of Superman!
    Show

Yes, all of these are from a certain Decade we should not mention, since the writing staff at DC and Marvel got replaced by brain slugs from Futurama at the time.

Spoiler: At least back in the day of gold and silver age, these stupid things were resolved in an issue or two:
    Show
    Just for the record you know a couple of those pictures are from what-ifs right? The gun toting old Superman is very specifically a non canon what if.

23. - Top - End - #53

-Is there anyone who DIDN'T predict the twist at the end from the beginning of the episode?
    If you don't follow the comics or haven't seen Young Justice I suppose.

24. - Top - End - #54

HalflingPirate

This last episode was really fun.

Spoiler
    Show
    Things have been moving at a nice pace with Alex's plot line. I think this has been done really well, when it could have easily felt fake. I also like seeing Alex in a different position than she had been before. Good stuff.

The comedy between Kara and Mon-El was great. I'm sure they'll go romantic with them, but I prefer it as more of an almost sibling thing. This was also the first time that Mon-El really got to be a character in his own right. Up until this point, he just had really simple motivations that related to the circumstances. It was also nice seeing the workplace revisited in a larger capacity than we have been this season.

They really rushed Jimmy's story. Maybe if this had been building for awhile? Then again, this was the first time Jimmy had gotten a good amount of screen time this season, so maybe the show is having trouble juggling all of its characters? With that said, the interaction between him and Winn were really solid. Almost enough to make you forgive how sudden all of this is. I do question how good Jimmy is as the new acting boss if he's moonlighting now. Arrow did that kind of thing too, but it usually showed that Oliver really couldn't juggle the two.

We finally got some answers about Cadmus. Not many, but one really big one. I'm not sure I care for head Cadmus lady, but that might change with some character development. I was hoping the weapons had to do with Intergang, but no such luck.
    Playing Pokemon Y

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

This last episode was really fun.

Spoiler
    Show
    Things have been moving at a nice pace with Alex's plot line. I think this has been done really well, when it could have easily felt fake. I also like seeing Alex in a different position than she had been before. Good stuff.

The comedy between Kara and Mon-El was great. I'm sure they'll go romantic with them, but I prefer it as more of an almost sibling thing. This was also the first time that Mon-El really got to be a character in his own right. Up until this point, he just had really simple motivations that related to the circumstances. It was also nice seeing the workplace revisited in a larger capacity than we have been this season.

They really rushed Jimmy's story. Maybe if this had been building for awhile? Then again, this was the first time Jimmy had gotten a good amount of screen time this season, so maybe the show is having trouble juggling all of its characters? With that said, the interaction between him and Winn were really solid. Almost enough to make you forgive how sudden all of this is. I do question how good Jimmy is as the new acting boss if he's moonlighting now. Arrow did that kind of thing too, but it usually showed that Oliver really couldn't juggle the two.

We finally got some answers about Cadmus. Not many, but one really big one. I'm not sure I care for head Cadmus lady, but that might change with some character development. I was hoping the weapons had to do with Intergang, but no such luck.
    I don't know, I think the episode had too many problems to be enjoyable.

- Kara's deduction that Cadmus is responsible to the super-weapon attack is considered to be some sort of great deduction skill.
    I was confused, since in this type of action I thought Cadmus practically yelled that they are the ones that gave the weapons.
    Besides, their main point was not to accept aliens, instead kill them and loot their weapons, and as a proof, they show what happens when HUMANS get hold of alien technology?

- Mon-El's story was a twist on the "fish out of water" scenario. While it was funny, it raised the obvious question of "what did you THINK was going to happen?"
    The guy just landed and woke up on an alien planet, and before any training you send him to work in an office?
    I don't expect them to keep him imprisoned, but basic escort for the first few months sounds like a basic idea, too basic to enjoy the wacky things that happen without it.

- James.........
    Every superhero so far either had a very strong motivation to be a vigilante, or had abilities long before he got a real job.
    Jimmy's motivation is basically envy in superheroes he works for, and the trigger is the loss of the camera.
    I think we have so many vigilante and superhero shows, that we forget that fighting crimes in a mask in parallel to the official agencies is supposed to be the exception and not the rule!

If he really wanted to help without breaking the law, his path would have been to join the DEO, and after months (or years) of training, help like everyone else does.
    So I'm supposed to respect him not only for going rogue while he KNOWS there is an agency that takes care of these things, but also for getting his friend in trouble for this?!

26. - Top - End - #56

HalflingPirate

All of your criticisms are valid because this episode was definitely flawed. The things that worked were enough that I didn't dwell on what didn't. It was a fun time with the characters, focusing on some aspects that had been put on the back burner this season.
    Playing Pokemon Y

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

After the trainwreck of pilot and next episode, I'd given up on this. After hearing it's better now and upon seeing even Arrow seems okay, I gave the second season a shot.

It's a lot of stupid. And it's the bad stupid, like LoT s1. But the only thing I expected was for lead actress to be cute as all ****, and she's probably holding the world record on that so I wasn't disappointed. They seem to be drinking the same coolaid as LoT s2 however, so the terrible stupidity isn't enough to ruin the awe and some characters. Their Supes was pretty cool, Luthor is good, Martian is good, the sister is unexpectedly good at acting, Superfrat is neat, notCisco is much less terrible than he was, notMontoya works so far and notJameson is perfect. Everyone's good so the show can actually hold.

Except Jimmy. Jimmy friggin sucks. Jimmy is a massive warning bell tolling for thee, proclaiming he's Laurel or Iris or Lincoln (alternatingly pointless and douchey love interest). He's gonna drag the whole thing down, I just know it, these shows have a rap sheet.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

28. - Top - End - #58

PirateGuy

You think Laurel is the useless love interest? She became a superhero, all Felicity does is cry, keep secrets, and complain about other people keeping secrets.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    You think Laurel is the useless love interest? She became a superhero, all Felicity does is cry, keep secrets, and complain about other people keeping secrets.
    It's been awhile since I watched the show. But wasn't there a season where all Laurel did was get drunk, complain, and make everyone elses lives worse?

30. - Top - End - #60

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    It's been awhile since I watched the show. But wasn't there a season where all Laurel did was get drunk, complain, and make everyone elses lives worse?
    Yeah, then she sobered up and became awesome instead.