New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 67, page 61

It's possible that magic is generally underused since Sizemore remarks that none of the other chief warlords seemed interested in magic stuff. In this sort of game if you want to find a killer loophole you need to look at the magic system, as Parson has already observed.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

I've already mentioned this in another thread, but this one seems more appropriate. Assuming Ansom is now out of move, and/or doesn't want to weaken his forces even more trying to tear through another hex, he will probably be left with no option but to try to defend next turn. But, even if he calls in his reseves, the full force of dwagons could pound him into the groud, it would just be a costly victory. Too costly for Parson's taste.

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    I'm really wondering what exactly Parson was about to say... "we could capture..." what?... Jillian? the rest of the seige engines?

or could it be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    the other coalition leaders?... if all of the coalition leaders are in the same spot, and now they lack woodelf, gump and flying support... they could very well be vulnarable to a 50 Dwagon pile on... depending on how the rules go, If all of the leaders get captured, their forces may automatcially fall apart, leaving Ansom with only him, jetstone troops, Vinnie, the bats, Jillian and the archons... it would effectively tear his offensive assunder, drastically lowering his numbers...

But really, with that line we know now that Parson had plans outside of attacking Ansom and getting the pliers... That he had another goal or option... question is, what the hell is it
    Spoiler
    Show
    I gotta agree with slayerx, Parson can't aford direct combat with any real oppostion, so he has to misdirect his opponent from protecting the wrong things. With Ansom thinking that he's the target, he will call for support, leaving the rest of the collum vunerable. I said before that he couldn't protect both himself and the collum, although I was thinking only of the seige, but it also applies to the other warlords.

No comment on veiling, too little info.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by selgnij View Post
    I've already mentioned this in another thread, but this one seems more appropriate. Assuming Ansom is now out of move, and/or doesn't want to weaken his forces even more trying to tear through another hex, he will probably be left with no option but to try to defend next turn. But, even if he calls in his reseves, the full force of dwagons could pound him into the groud, it would just be a costly victory. Too costly for Parson's taste.

Spoiler
    Show
    I gotta agree with slayerx, Parson can't aford direct combat with any real oppostion, so he has to misdirect his opponent from protecting the wrong things. With Ansom thinking that he's the target, he will call for support, leaving the rest of the collum vunerable. I said before that he couldn't protect both himself and the collum, although I was thinking only of the seige, but it also applies to the other warlords.
    I agree with you there. The best move I can see for Ansom is to pile on the defense for himself, making a direct attack upon himself uneconomic. That leaves the column at Parson's mercy. But I see no other moves that do not end in the loss of both. Pull in the possible air support to bust through to the column could get them back, but they would be low on HP. Battles vs wars, maybe: Get what air support back to the column, and the column could be spared, at the loss of Himself and Vinny. After capturing them, the dwagons may have expended to much to take on the now supported column.
    No, I think that is the best - Pull in Jillian, peeps and Archons to support the column. Both outcomes are bad, so making Parson and Stanley choose means that they will pay the maximum for the exchange. If you are going to loose your queen or both rooks, see if you can get a knight for them.
    Verigated Opinionator of the Polls Fan Club
    To do a spoiler, surround it in spoiler tags like this:[spoiler]Darth Vadar is Skywalker's Father[/spoiler]. To show someone else how to do a spoiler, use noparse tags like this: [noparse][spoiler]Miko will stay Dead[/spoiler][/noparse]. To show someone else how to demonstrate spoiler tags, use multiple noparse tags like this [noparse][noparse][spoiler]Recursion is like recursion, only shorter[/spoiler][/noparse][/noparse]

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

I'm thinking the combat system sounds like a variant of the system in the classic board game Titan. With additional rules for stacks, and warlords it seems pretty close in many ways.

Thoughts?
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

5. - Top - End - #305

I've wondered if the rules were based on Titan too.

Colossus - the free version of the old Titan game by Avalon Hill at SourceForge

One reason was because of the lack of a damage stat on units. In Titan your combat rating combines to hit and damage stats by representing the number of d6 you roll to hit with each hit being 1 point damage. The defence of the other unit is the number you have to roll. The defence value of the only creature we have so far seen (4) is well within the range you'd expect for a Titan like combat system (basically 3,4 or 5). Most games would need a separate to hit and damage statistic for the units.

In fact since the free knock-off version there has no rules in it (I dunno if that's a copyright issue or what?) it's even more like Erfworld because if you never played the original game or if you can't recall the rules you'd have to try and figure them out!!

6. - Top - End - #306

Titan also had the ability to have a tough unit split it's attack between two or more smaller defenders (just by allocating so many d6 to each target) as the dwagons appear to do in Erfworld battles.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: On the combat rules thing again

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Katsaris View Post
    href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_&_South_(computer_game)">"North vs South"</a> was one game that combined turn-based strategy and real-time combat. Am sure there must have been others too.
    The Total War series combines a turn-based strategic map with real-time tactical combat. It can get quite frantic ordering those formations around.

The RTS battlefield is very old. I can remember I can remember a few from 1986, but North & South was one of the first I can recall combining one with a real strategic map.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

8. - Top - End - #308

Default Re: On the combat rules thing again

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    The RTS battlefield is very old. I can remember I can remember a few from 1986, but North & South was one of the first I can recall combining one with a real strategic map.
    Archon (1983) combined a chess-like strategic level with arcade-style tactical combat. The map was abstract and combat was one-on-one; however, it apparently ran on machines with only 64 KB of RAM.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

9. - Top - End - #309
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My view of this is that commanders like ansom and stanley can probably be resurected throught a altar of heroes, or a resurect spell or something like that.

Ansom will die, but probably be brought back.

10. - Top - End - #310

Stanley wants to croak Ansom, this will give him the plyers but the rest of the alliance will wipe out GK without sweating.

The only chance to prevent Stanley from taking control is the mathamancy watch! Good thing it popped up. Parson will be able to tell that attacking Ansom is a very bad idea.

The alternatives have been discussed a lot, my favourite is croak rest of siege and the coalition warlords (if possible uncroak them).

looking forward to seeing next strip.
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DavidByron View Post
    It's possible that magic is generally underused since Sizemore remarks that none of the other chief warlords seemed interested in magic stuff.
    But, remember, Stanley hired warlords that had the largest leadership bonuses he could manage - not exactly the best strategists and tactitians (resulting in his horrid losses).
    They may not have been interested in that sort of stuff because they didn't see the strategic and tactical advantages certain spells could have on the battlefield.
    Borrowing from MoM spell, change terrain. The siege would have to slow down from the changed terrain, buying Parson an extra turn before the siege actually made it to GK.
    Edit: But we know Magic is heavily used for the battlefield. At present, though, Stanley uses a lot of his magic reserves for his Intel setup, and Wanda uses a lot of magic to make uncroaked units.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2007-07-16 at 09:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #312

Default Is this why Ansom is not attuned to the Arkenpliers?

Hey something Kasey Chang said about the Arkenpliers made me wonder.....

MY GUESS is that the Woodelves got a critical hit. The gumps, lead by Ansom, concentrated on two dwagons, and one of the gumps managed to latch on and kill a dwagon, while Ansom made a direct hit on the other. (He's using a hammer? Must be an alternate weapon, as Arkenpliers are only good on undead, huh...)
    This is describing panel 4 here. But I think it's a picture of Ansom using the Arkenpliers from an odd angle so they look a bit like a hammer. But then I thought.... doesn't he always use them that way?

Panel seven and eight here.

Even in combat. Does Ansom know that the pliers open up? Have the Arkenpliers ever been shown opened up? Is it possible that the reason Ansom isn't attuned to the Arkenpliers is because he keeps using them as if they were a hammer not as an actual pair of pliers?

Does anyone in Erfworld even know what a pair of pliers ARE?

13. - Top - End - #313
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Is this why Ansom is not attuned to the Arkenpliers?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidByron View Post
    This is describing panel 4 here. But I think it's a picture of Ansom using the Arkenpliers from an odd angle so they look a bit like a hammer. But then I thought.... doesn't he always use them that way?

Panel seven and eight here.

Even in combat. Does Ansom know that the pliers open up? Have the Arkenpliers ever been shown opened up? Is it possible that the reason Ansom isn't attuned to the Arkenpliers is because he keeps using them as if they were a hammer not as an actual pair of pliers?
    Hmmm... I'm pretty sure that the Arkenpliers have never been shown opened up. In fact, I don't think we've ever seen Ansom hold them by both handles.

Does anyone in Erfworld even know what a pair of pliers ARE?
    I presume you mean "anyone native to Erfworld"....
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2007-07-16 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Fixed tag

14. - Top - End - #314
    Pixie in the Playground

I dunno about you folks, but I can't see how using an open pair of pliers as an offensive weapon would be any better than using them closed. Arguably it would be worse, since at least closed they act more-or-less like a mace.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    I dunno about you folks, but I can't see how using an open pair of pliers as an offensive weapon would be any better than using them closed. Arguably it would be worse, since at least closed they act more-or-less like a mace.
    Depends on how you utilize them and your target.

A closed pair of pliers would make a good mace (if you swung them) or a potential shortspear (if the tips were sharp and pointed enough).

Open, they'd be less useful if you swung them (less mass in the impact side), but thrusting, they'd be like a nasty war fork - once pierced through, close the pliers...

16. - Top - End - #316
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ink View Post
    Great stuff. Ansom just refuses to see, doesn't he. Presumptuous little fellow.

Stanley seems to have some neat resources on his side. It'll be good to see what new dimension veiling brings to the battle.
    So true! I like how Parson followed Wanda's advice and played the Tool to think it was his plan and he outsmarted Ansom.