New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 67, page 61

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    I'm really wondering what exactly Parson was about to say... "we could capture..." what?... Jillian? the rest of the seige engines?
    We could capture, interrogate, then uncroak them and add them to our own corps.

Stanley thinks short term goals, Parson thinks long term assets.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I see this as one of three things...

1. Ansom is seriously boned. When you are looking at a hopeless situation and there is only one combination of circumstances that might lead to victory, you assume those conditions exist and act accordingly. If the dwagons are veiled, great for Ansom. If the dwagons are not veiled, he is no less boned by entering the center hex.

2. Ansom is bluffing. If Stanley can veil his troops, so can Ansom. Why would he charge into a ring of dwagons when he has no idea what might be veiled in the center of the fort? Because he wants Stanley (or whomever is helping him) to wonder if he has sufficient veiled troops with him such that he has no fear of the full complement of dwagons.

3. Ansom uses the nuclear option. This is the least likely, IMHO. If Ansom has some major form of attack that affects all of the units in adjacent hexes, moving into the center allows him to hit all of the dwagons in the fort. Sacrifing the Pliers in a blaze of glory? Calling down the fires of heaven? Of course, if he could do this, why would he bring in all of the other units?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hahaha! Ansom's haste to resolve his cognitive dissonance led him to settle on a plausible explanation far too quickly. Now he is well and truly booped.

He's just lucky that Parson apparently wants to capture him instead of croaking him.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Hmm, I'm expecting trouble for Parson. Wouldn't surprise me if Ansom has a way of veiling his troops too, and has indeed some units somewhere close which Parson didn't account for. Seems like everything else about this latest discovery would just make things too easy for Parson, considering he's doing fine enough already.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

LOL, I love Parson's reaction in the last panel. "I spent ALL BOOPING NIGHT working on a plan to hide the wounded dragons and now you tell me we could have just veiled them in the first place?!"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice to see things are going well for Parson and Gobwin Knob. (:

Av by kpenguin ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by trollhammeren View Post
    I like the way you think Siric and i would like to subscribe to your news letter.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Did NOT see that coming.

Is Ansom trying to get back to the column, or is he hunting wounded dwagons? Either way...

Anybody see Evel Kansom escaping almost certain doom in a spectacular fashion? Not fashionable spectacularness, but oooh! and aaah! didja see that? Dwagons' mouths snapping shut right behind his burning flying carpet kinda stuff?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by trehek View Post
    I love how Vinny looks in panel 2. Notice the hand.
    That's Ansom's hand. He's wearing gloves, so that's why its white.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Am I the only one who feels sorry for Ansom? On another note, Parson seems to be gaining Stanley's trust. If they destroy Ansom's force, I'd count on Vinnie/Ansom being captured (Tarfu seems like a disposable character).

Remember that Ansom isn't attuned to his Arkenpliers. This would be the perfect moment for his powers to activate and help him smite some dwagons. If that happens, it'll be Parson with his back against the wall.
    Last edited by Neryth; 2007-07-11 at 02:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Great comic. I'm really worried about Ansom and Vinnie. I wonder what Lord Hamster is going to do now that they're both right where he wants them.

I'm also curious to see what strategies Parson comes up with now that he knows about veiling.

Keep them coming!

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by hamstard4ever View Post
    LOL, I love Parson's reaction in the last panel. "I spent ALL BOOPING NIGHT working on a plan to hide the wounded dragons and now you tell me we could have just veiled them in the first place?!"
    Nah. He spent ALL BOOPING NIGHT working on a plan that didn't hide the Dwagons, the Wanda idly let slip the fact that he could - in the FoW. Veiling them would not have been an advantage if he still hadn't been able to first move them out of Ansom's sight to begin with, but it might have let him hide them closer to the column, instead of out where they are.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Yes, Ansom beileved that stanley is too stupid to manuver his forces like that, so they must be cloaked, and he charges in anyway. Now his back is against the wall.

I wonder if Ansom can contact Charlie and pay (Expensive!?) to get the Thinkamancer to scan the battlefield and find the Wounded Stack. Ordering Julian and her Griffons fly directly to the stack and destroy 20 Dragons and 3 warlords. Smashing that stack is the only way I can see Ansom having a chance to prevent this entire war from turning around.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Even if Ansom has a way to veil his troops (Stanley's ability to do so is based on his possession of a foolamancer - we don't know that Ansom has that unit type), it's irrelevant to the current tactical situation. We know that none of the troops he brought with him were veiled, and there was no reason or foreshadowing to indicate that he had a veiled reserve nearby. The whole point of the trap is that Stanley can't get any reinforcements (with the possible exceptions of Jillian, the Archons, and/or a few of Jillian's gwiffons. If there's any question of whether Jillian can reach, her orlies are right out because we already know they're slower than gwiffons. Pulling surprise reinforcements out of a hat at this point would be plain bad storytelling, and these authors are better than that.

Now, a "retributive strike" sort of thing - sacrificing the Arkenpliars for a huge area-effect explosion - wouldn't be unreasonable, and it would infuriate Stanley. Ansom's holding the pliers in the next-to-last panel in a somewhat non-weaponlike manner....
    Proudly defending the Tool from the unholy forces of Cuteness and Plush.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler tag galore on this one, but I can't help speculating that...

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this really will be the end of the siege of Gobwin Knob. Not that Ansom is croaked, but the forces are torn apart, no siege to speak of. The push is over. The Tool "dismisses" Hamster, but that doesn't send him home. And since he's obviously working on the side of evil, would he be able to resist the chance to go over to the side of right for the much more interesting tactical situation? Or am I just hoping that Parson makes the switch somehow after decimating Ansom for a TRULY interesting battle?

I think that's just my irrational need to support the goody two-shoes, however. I love this comic.

15. - Top - End - #45

Wait, If stanley's side can veil their troops, what doesn't say Ansom's side has done also...

16. - Top - End - #46

On re-reading, this page is a treasure trove of facial expressions! Also, did you notice in the last panel how the carefully chosen perspective made Parson look chibi at the perfect moment?

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    I'm really wondering what exactly Parson was about to say... "we could capture..." what?... Jillian? the rest of the seige engines?
    I thought it was Ansom. The Tool had just said, "Next turn we croak him! And take the Arkenpliers!" Parson doesn't strike me as the type to croak when he can capture instead.
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    Nah. He spent ALL BOOPING NIGHT working on a plan that didn't hide the Dwagons, the Wanda idly let slip the fact that he could - in the FoW. Veiling them would not have been an advantage if he still hadn't been able to first move them out of Ansom's sight to begin with, but it might have let him hide them closer to the column, instead of out where they are.
    Nah, I'd say he'd still have to hide the wounded dwagons away from the column, and over water away from air units is ideal. Parson's plan and usage of dwagons for the last turn was spectacular... but with the veiling, he may have made other moves involving other units for plans that would take several turns to unfold.

But, as always, there's not enough information available. But that doesn't stop the speculation. Ever.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, the first time, you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Ansom doesn't know to be on guard. But now he's fallen for the same trap twice...in the same turn!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaseafoam View Post
    I honestly think he's trying to blow through the stack, out of all the crappy options available to him, a blowthrough would be the least crappy.
    Yes, I think that when Ansom finds the centre hex well and truly empty he will try and punch through. After all what other choice does he have? Staying there won't do any good and he doesn't have enough move to go back around. Wonder if he'll call for Jillian?

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Rocheforte View Post
    (Stanley's ability to do so is based on his possession of a foolamancer - we don't know that Ansom has that unit type)
    More likely it's another undisclosed (to Parson) ability of the "magic table." The trio of casters who run it include a Lookamancer, Thinkamancer, and Foolamancer. None of whom apparently can still be treated of as individuals, so any "Foolamancy" spells must be a subset of their function.

Now, a "retributive strike" sort of thing - sacrificing the Arkenpliars for a huge area-effect explosion - wouldn't be unreasonable, and it would infuriate Stanley. Ansom's holding the pliers in the next-to-last panel in a somewhat non-weaponlike manner....
    Ah yes. The "Warlock Bomb." Unlikely though that they have that ability, or if they do that Ansom knows how to trigger it. He says "At best they are a good combat weapon...[But] I cannot unlock their secrets."

Edit to Add:
    Wait, If stanley's side can veil their troops, what doesn't say Ansom's side has done also...
    He had no reason to do so. Any units he brought for the expected battle in the center would have been revealed at that time. His staff were concerned that he didn't have enough as it was, so holding them "in reserve" would have been foolish.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2007-07-11 at 02:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

It seems to me that the best tactic for Ansom would be to attack one of the five dwagon stacks nearest the collumn and punch through. Dwagons are formidable, but I'm pretty sure that since three seemed to be defeated pretty easily and the plan was to attack more than a dozen wounded dwagons, five would not be all that hard. Then it's just two hexes to the collumn, and if the units in the collumn still have move, then they could group together with Ansom and prepare for the incoming attack.
    thog wonders how thog will cope with life outside jailhouse walls. prison changed thog.
    We were only there for 40 minutes.
    prison changed thog quickly.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm. Things are not looking good - I guess that is why 'Ansom made that move: He is getting somewhat desperate.
    If he looses too many forest & flying forces, the column may not be able to be defended from the Dwagon wheel (or is it Party Platter of Doom?) tactic no matter where Jillian and the peeps are. We do not know whether his carpet has enough move to get him to where the column can provide him cover: With the wasting of another 2 move, it is even less likely. Getting Jillian and the Peeps (Band titile, anyone?) in to provide support may have been his only chance: Possibly a bad one, because even that may not have been enough, although it may have been enough to force Parson to choose to leave them alone: Which, of course, would mean that the rest of the siege is toast.
    Which bad move should I take? I've had that choice on the chess board before now, and it is not a pleasant one.
    Verigated Opinionator of the Polls Fan Club
    To do a spoiler, surround it in spoiler tags like this:[spoiler]Darth Vadar is Skywalker's Father[/spoiler]. To show someone else how to do a spoiler, use noparse tags like this: [noparse][spoiler]Miko will stay Dead[/spoiler][/noparse]. To show someone else how to demonstrate spoiler tags, use multiple noparse tags like this [noparse][noparse][spoiler]Recursion is like recursion, only shorter[/spoiler][/noparse][/noparse]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Wozzers!! Great Episode.

That being said, I think Ansom still has enough move to punch through with his forest units towards the hex closest to the column. I think he may even have enough for him and Vinnie to get back since they are both flying units.

What I think will happen is that after taking moderate to heavy casualties on the punch through, the Elf Warlord Tarfu will run out of move.

Vinnie and Ansom will offer to stay and defend them with the help of the flyers, but Tarfu will refuse and tell him to go, that he will cover their retreat.

Either that or Ansom will turn tail and run, and Tarfu will switch sides.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Halfling in the Playground

Excellent comic

I don't believe it's the end of Ansom. We've been told about the tunnels and Sizemore prepared some stuff in there. Checkovian guns as I've been taught on these boards and by wikipedia

So something will happen to save Ansom as he's the only one determined enough and charismatic enough to lead the coalition. That's what I believe.

Spoiler
    Show
    What about the arkenpliers get attuned to someone in Ansom's army to save them? Vinnie maybe? If it happens, Ansom may even croak and Vinnie take his place as the leader of the coalition... I wonder, since we're in a fantasy setting, do we have a ressurection spell?

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Dwagon View Post
    We've been told about the tunnels and Sizemore prepared some stuff in there.<snip>
    So something will happen to save Ansom as he's the only one determined enough and charismatic enough to lead the coalition. That's what I believe.
    Or Ansom et al will get themselves captured, and Jillian (who is supposed to have escaped through the tunnels) will get tapped to lead a rescue mission in that way.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by derfy View Post
    Also, just registered to point this out.
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    [snip] Anybody see Evel Kansom escaping almost certain doom in a spectacular fashion? Not fashionable spectacularness, but oooh! and aaah! didja see that? Dwagons' mouths snapping shut right behind his burning flying carpet kinda stuff?
    Ohhh yeah. Unless we just didn't get to see it when he did his "For the King!" *KA-BRAIN*, Ansom's outfit is an unfired unjumped Chekhov's gun motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocheforte View Post
    Ansom's holding the pliers in the next-to-last panel in a somewhat non-weaponlike manner....
    It's gestural art. Think of it like a phallus. I would explain further but that would be creepy with the way that he's holding it in my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    [snip] But, as always, there's not enough information available. But that doesn't stop the speculation. Ever.
    What is this "stop the speculation" of which you speak? I'm frightened by your bizarre alien concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    More likely it's another undisclosed (to Parson) ability of the "magic table." The trio of casters who run it include a Lookamancer, Thinkamancer, and Foolamancer. None of whom apparently can still be treated of as individuals, so any "Foolamancy" spells must be a subset of their function.
    Yesterday I decided to call them "the Triniteyemancer". I felt that they needed a more graceful singular name.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-07-11 at 02:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

biggrin Re: Erfworld 67, page 61

I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that things will not go well for Parson next turn.

The more I dwell on it, the less it seems likely that Parson has achieved as momentous advantage as he believes. He is still essentially operating blind. Since there is still quite a lot he doesn't know, it is unlikely that he could concoct a plan that would take into account all ways of tackling the problem.

Meanwhile Ansom is clearly thinking outside the old paradigm, as his first reaction to the available evidence is that something is up with Stanley. Essentially, he isn't up against his old adversary. Once Ansom realized he fell for a trap he has ample time to look at the available evidence and devise a counter. Since he does know what is possible inside Erfworld, he is clearly at an advantage. If Parson unknowingly left a weakness Ansom should be able to spot it and exploit it, especially since Ansom is now looking deeper into the strategies used against him.

Also from a purely storytelling perspective, the authors are very fond of misdirection. Wanda explaining about veiled units makes everyone think about hidden units - I should say confirms thoughts about hidden units since half of the discussion about the dragon fort involved theoretical hidden units. We assume, as she is doing, that is indeed what Ansom thinks is happening. That's the bait.

Next comes the switch, when Ansom pulls an obvious maneuver that Parson couldn't see coming because he doesn't have enough information about it. This could be something we can see, but I can't hazard a guess as I'm not as savvy on strategy/tactics as many others here.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alces View Post
    Edit: Triple ninja action, dang.

Ansom is really letting feelings of superiority influence his decisions - I love it when arrogance works that way.
    Hmmm,

I wouldn't bet family jewels on that one. Ansom took his Toolness for granted and Parson took advantage of that.

But the opposite doesn't run true : Parson is not taking Ansom for a fool. Think of it as wargaming (which it is). Ansom is a good player, he does things according to what is best and plan a bit ahead. Parson is a great player, not only he plans ahead, but plan for his opponent's counter-moves. According to this logic, Ansom's move makes no sense. You don't jump into a trap when you know it's one (as bat made sure of).

Whether or not the "veils" point of rule explains everything or there is something else afoot, it'll be fun figuring it out.
    If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... it might be Elan. They\'re about the same int range, but no self respecting duck would be caught dead with a kazoo

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Don't be too sure. Now Ansom is apparently going to smash through the Dwagon circle. Parson doesn't like this.
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think Ansom is going for a strike on the donut. As Parson said killing those three dwagons cost him. Vinny is convinced Stanley did something brilliant. Ansom know's that's not possible, he goes there to check things with his own eyes. Ansom was tricked because he knew Stanley (and the way he choses his warlords) too well. Stanley would not think on a diversion, but he could very well veil his units. This was sort of a dramatic way for the authors to provide us with an extra piece of information.

I think Ansom will now realize he isn't fighting against Stanley.
    Last edited by teratorn; 2007-07-11 at 05:02 AM.
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).