New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Swashbuckler dip on Vigilante

Hi guys, I'm trying to make a stalker vigilante, with the teisatsu archetype. I've more or less figured out how I'll build him,
    But I'm wondering if a swashbuckler dip would make it stronger or wouldn't do much, it's lit. Only for parry and riposte. The idea is a character that uses one of the Dex to damage feats on a scimitar or rapier, so not going to dual wield, I go in attack and use up and close for another attack, and then use stuff like throat jab and mighty ambush to set up a possible coup de grace or just keep the enemy silent.

The thing about swash is that if I take a level, it'll set everything back by a level, and I'm starting at a low level, so it's gonna play a part in all of this, the benefit is that if the initial ambush doesn't leave the target crippled, I can parry any attacks that follow to reduce the damage I take.

I have a bunch of feats so I could take amateur swashbuckler instead, anyone got experience on that feat?

Thanks guys!
    <Insert funny quote from another poster here>
    I should probably get a better sig... ><

Hellfire Warlock/Eldritch Disciple:
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Feel the infernal power of POSITIVE ENERGY!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Swashbuckler dip on Vigilante

Since you are going to use a rapier, the inspired blade swashbuckler would be a good dip. One boon is that you get panache from int and charisma, at a minimum of 1 even if you dumped intelligence. If you have a decent INT, then that is more panache for parry/riposte. The big sell is that you get weapon finesse with the rapier, weapon focus(rapier), and count as having weapon finesse for the purpose of meeting feat requirements. This allows you to take fencing grace and be doing dex to damage at level 1.

That said, if you have a bunch of feats to burn, you are better off using those to get parry/riposte and paying the tax for fencing grace.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good