New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content 10: La Li Lu Le Lo

Sherlock and Mr. Darcy? As in Holmes and Pride and Prejudice???

What is this, I don't even... O_O

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Sherlock and Mr. Darcy? As in Holmes and Pride and Prejudice???

What is this, I don't even... O_O
    The power of the Internet, that's what it is.

As for my thoughts on the comic, I will say that Claire irked me a bit there. But I have problems with people shipping actual people, so there's that.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post

As for my thoughts on the comic, I will say that Claire irked me a bit there. But I have problems with people shipping actual people, so there's that.
    It's irksome, but at least it's an established character trait, as opposed to just a set-up to a joke.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I have no problem with fictional characters imagining the motives and feelings of another set of fictional characters.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I get that it is silly and an established character trait. It just didn't work so well for me.

As for Sherlock and Mr. Darcy, I heard that one before.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post

I have to ask: why? Literally all it is is "Hey, those two look like they're getting pretty close. They'd make a cute couple if they start dating." What's to have a problem with?
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I have to ask: why? Literally all it is is "Hey, those two look like they're getting pretty close. They'd make a cute couple if they start dating." What's to have a problem with?
    Not rarely it develops into influencing people TO be a couple. When it happens with real people. Or sabotaging other relationships because it is not your ship. Obviously not saying it always happens but it does once in a while.

As for Faye and Bubbles... I don't see it. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but... it takes a lot more for me to start shipping a human and a robot. *insert obligatory Futurama clip*
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Not rarely it develops into influencing people TO be a couple. When it happens with real people. Or sabotaging other relationships because it is not your ship. Obviously not saying it always happens but it does once in a while.
    True, but this is not happening here.

And, well, sabotaging other relationships is bad, but that's not something I've ever come across in this context. Trying to set people up with each other though, I also don't really see how that's inherently bad. It can certainly be mishandled (see: Clinton and Emily), but that certainly doesn't invalidate the whole concept, and sometimes it works out much better (see: Marigold and Dale).
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I realize that it is silly on my part. Maybe it's because I am not seeing it on my end, and we just had an arc that shows Claire does meddle other people's affairs.

I know it is just an observation at this point. I guess stuff like this has become a personal pet peeve of mine due to other factors within my own life.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

...well then. I can't remember if supernatural elements have been hinted at before in QC, but this would be corroborating evidence, potentially.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    ...well then. I can't remember if supernatural elements have been hinted at before in QC, but this would be corroborating evidence, potentially.
    Off the top of my head...

Dora was part of a coven, and she brought in the head of her order to examine Collette and see if she was under a curse, since all the businesses she'd work for before had failed soon after she went to work for them.

Dora and Hanners have apparently been possessed by eldritch spirits and spoken in non-human tongues during periods of extreme irritation.

At least one of Emily's computer projects went so wrong it began to show Etheric manifestations and the government had to send haz-mat suited workers to contain it.

So the supernatural is THERE, but it's not a major element.

So far.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Also, the concept of Eldritch Beer is fun to think about.

The word is also cool to say.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So, my german was never exactly amazing, but is that beer called "Wormfather Death's-head-birthday Dark Brown?"

Oh, yes it is. He left a note.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #74
    Colossus in the Playground

Worm-father Skull-birthday dark-brew.

Sounds a bit like random dark-sounding words strong together, really. No one would ever say "Totenkopfgeburtstag".
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Worm-father Skull-birthday dark-brew.

Sounds a bit like random dark-sounding words strong together, really. No one would ever say "Totenkopfgeburtstag".
    I mean, stringing smaller descriptive words together is pretty much how the German language names things, so I find it rather plausible actually.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yes, you can create some crazy words in german, which technically are correct words, and then there's what people will actually use and say. Also there are still rules to that, and when you string words together, there are implications of which part means what. And "Totenkopfgeburtstag" falls under the "Technically correct but I can't imagine anyone saying that" category.

Not just because it sounds funny, but it doesn't even make a lot of sense either. It's not "the birthday of death's head" same as you'd not say "Frankgeburtstag" for "Frank's birthday" - it would just be "Franks Geburtstag". Yes, we're not stringing everything together. :)
    It sounds more like the proper name for a very specific birthday as in "Silberhochzeit" for "silver wedding" aka your 25th anniversary.
    Last edited by Morquard; 2016-11-01 at 10:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Totenkopfgeburtstag is a specific birthday, but not everyone gets to have one. It's the word for when your birthday is also the day you die. True facts totally not pulled out of my ass, nosireebob!
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Fun fact, when I googled for it, I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dekoration-T...-/400465171003

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Fun fact, when I googled for it, I found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dekoration-T...-/400465171003
    Well, we Germans have a great sense of humour.

But yeah, I think jeph just had fun putting something metal sounding in google translate... Though I have seen far worse attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    True, but this is not happening here.
    No, but I think you don't refer to any situation where someone supports a relationship as shipping. It usually only applies when it turns somewhat obsessive... No?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

And Claire does not have a history of sticking her nose into other people's relationship business where it doesn't belong, at all. So I can't see anything going wrong with this...

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

This is an interesting aspect of Brun's personality. Both that she's a fighting - although very bad at it - drunk, and that she didn't warn Elliot of it, first.

And either it WAS a very evil beer, or she has no tolerance for alcohol. Which would be ironic for a bartender.

22. - Top - End - #82

Brun turned out to be a much more facetted character that Jeph probably intended from his initial shotgun-crazy bartender

23. - Top - End - #83

Imp

I'm not really sure 'crazy and violent' is a new facet for Brun.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    I'm not really sure 'crazy and violent' is a new facet for Brun.
    One might go so far as to say that it was her first established character trait, regardless of what weapon it was she brought out from under the bar.

My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hmm, just realised over those last two strips, that I don't dislike Brun. She's actually pretty funny and cute with Eliot there. I apparantly dislike Renee so much however, that it rubs off on anyone nearby...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm, just realised over those last two strips, that I don't dislike Brun. She's actually pretty funny and cute with Eliot there. I apparantly dislike Renee so much however, that it rubs off on anyone nearby...
    Yeah I have had it that I disliked entire shows because f one character. (The anime kill la kill for instance, I couldn't stand it but realized that scenes without Mako were actually watchable. I don'tthink I would have considered it great anyway, but I might have finished it if she wasn't there. Even if it would just have been because it was popular at the time.)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

With regards to today's blurb, I fully support the second alternative.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Renee is the worst. Every time she opens her mouth it remeinds me how horrible she is, and at the same time she plays it off like she just said something adorable.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Renee is the worst. Every time she opens her mouth it remeinds me how horrible she is, and at the same time she plays it off like she just said something adorable.
    Well, she's meant to be the secret bakery equivalent of Faye if I remember right, so it makes sense that Renee'd be kinda like that.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

It's worth noting that Renee was used to A, establish that Angus has a type (aka girls like Faye) and B, to establish that he and Renee broke up due to Renee being an absolute gorram jerk (his words).

So I think us disliking her could simply be Jeph being too good at writing characters that are terrible people.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me