New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunting Grounds IV: Drops Contain 0% RNG

[Huntside]

"I think I try search for a way back home. Even thought I have seen everything back there, it seems to draw me back somehow." karl explains.
    "I just need to figure out who to ask."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

2. - Top - End - #902
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Huntside]

"It's not so bad to have a place you belong." Anchor says. Even if it might be a little boring.

"You might want to look around Inside; that's basically the center of the Nexus and where you first showed up. And I think VIGIL had someone working on portals; I mean, you could ask there."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #903

[Huntside]

Karl shrugs.

"At least I can try." he says. "At worst they can't help me i guess. Any other suggestion? I mean if there is nothing in the near future to help me I'm still stuck here. Might as well try to learn some new stuff."

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Escape Pod

Leap snorts awake, groggy and with her head swimming, but something seemed to have caught her attention. "Princess? Where?" She asks, taking a rapid look around before wincing and holding her head in her hands. "No, bad Leap. No Princess. You'll find one someday." It takes her a bit to get to all eight of her feet, probably giving Rein a fairly humorous dance-like show before she too stumbles out of the escape pod with her parcel intact on her back.

Rein will find that they're close to the border of the Hunting Grounds, essentially a stone's throw from the village Huntside and just a bit further from Inside. Neither place would likely welcome Leap, but that would be her issue to deal with if he wanted to shove it off onto her. If he bothers to check, he'll find that the power core is still intact.

Crashed Ship - Two

With her stealth and uncanny ability to extrapolate information from the design of the ship as she travels, Two will find the entrance to the Secondary Systems sealed up nice and tight like a snug bug inna rug. There is no viewport into the secondary system, but despite what must be a foot of steel sealing the entrance she can hear a low murmuring coming from within. She won't be quite able to make out what is being whispered as it is just at the edge of her hearing, but it seems to be interesting and intriguing.

The only sign of what may lay within were a few smeared inky handprints along the door controls. Close inspection will show words, hundreds of them, swirling and dripping along the smeared handprint. It was a jumbled mess, but no less alluring and dare it be said...heretical. Like a greasy film slipping through one's mind.

Crashed Ship - Kendra

The bolt of lightning causes the entire swarming pillar to shriek as a portion of it is outright blasted away and more of it burned and charred. There's a stink, almost like sour bacon, but the swarm shifts its actions and collapses in on itself. Circles and currents of centipedal insects ebb and flow all through a single bubbling mass, but they do not attack just yet. Instead, Kendra will feel immense heat start to build up and a glow start to form in the center of the swarming maelstrom.

Whatever was happening, it wasn't likely good.

???

It wasn't the lack of pain and aches that bothered and unsettled Glavvy. He was actually quite appreciative of it as it had been a long time since he'd been feeling up to par, particularly with his eye. What was unsettling for him was the feeling of safety. Certainly there was the Goddess' presence which he couldn't ignore, but the feeling of safety was...unnatural. He'd never been able to relax for as long as he could remember no matter how far back into his seventeen years that could he shift through. The last time was when he'd been a hatchling, before his Dame vanished and before the Buck that sired him had been slain. He'd learned quickly that the world was eat or be eaten, survive or die horribly, and he'd been sleeping with one eye open ever since the Hunters had come.

But now, here, in a place akin to his birth-nest in the presence of the annoyed Voice, he felt safe again after so long...

...and he hated it.

So much of his life revolved around death and violence, pain and hunger and thirst, that actually finding a moment of peace felt entirely too unnatural. Even more unnatural than seeing another Glavenus with moose antlers which was a rather high bar to set. It felt like he was going to have his back ripped open at any moment, and the Voice will sense that he's uneasy with this. A person might relate it to PTSD, but such an explanation would be lost on the simple-minded creature. He shifts uncomfortably in his nest for a bit however before finally getting to his feet, wary and timid in the face of The Voice's annoyance at him.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

???

When the goddess stands, it's as if a great weight shifts. Glavvy may liken it to a mountain deciding to stand up and move, but that doesn't speak to the raw vitality, will, and essence behind the movement. He'll also get the sense that she knew this was going to be his response, and was ready for it.

She stands up from the front of the cave and moves over to him, and Glavvy may well feel at odds with what his eyes are allowing him to see, because while she is only as large as he is, maybe a foot longer, her presence fills the room, choking in a way he's never experienced before. If he's cognizant of what, precisely, the Goddess is, he may realize that it's because she literally has his soul in her power.

And she presents him with a choice. A choice she does not offer to most, because Glavvy has impressed her. Oh yes, he has left a deep impression, and a great interest - which he might not feel comfortable about in itself. She grants him the choice, to stay dead, as he is now, in the Goddess's own private hunting grounds, where he would never feel hunger and thirst, where he will be safe for all time, and free to hunt the wild creatures that exist here. He has earned reprieve, after all he's done for her.

Or...

He can go back. Back to his life, back to the hardship, the strife, the endless fighting, and carry her blessing with him. He'd carry the pearl of the wood upon his back, marking him as a target for every other pearl-bearer. And he would be challenged to fight every other being that has impressed her in this manner.

And if he wins? He comes here, naked in his might, to fight her. She doesn't state the value of victory in such an endeavor. For all that he is, he shouldn't need it. Will he accept the challenge, and build his strength to face his superior in every way? Or will he decide his story is finished, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt until the end of time, but never have the chance to grow?

CHOOSE
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

???

Peace would destroy Glavvy in ways that The Voice couldn't. It'd gnaw at him, taking small bites and nibbles endlessly and driving him mad. Despite the strength of her presence, Glavvy keeps his head high and refuses to be cowed. If she was going to destroy him, she could do so at any moment. But still, there was a choice being offered? Well, there wasn't any choice to it. He'd hunt, he'd fight, he'd live and die perhaps endlessly, but he'd fight.

He'd just prefer not to have the Pearl literally on his back. And he can't help but wonder if he can just eat it.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

???

A pleased air radiates from the Goddess. In her opinion, that was the right answer.

She'll hold him still, he essence bound so that he can't run. And then she opens her maw, and from it pours brilliant emerald flame, pure, cleansing, and very very painful. He may not be sure how long it lasts. But when it's over He'll stand before her, changed. His essence infused with a few things. The first, the eye he lost has been restored. The second, he will have a voice - not the kind of speech humanoids are used to, but raw intention, the ability to simply impose understanding of him into the minds of others.

And a purpose. To hunt, to bring the word of the Godess to any who might be worthy. and most of all, to never stop living as he was meant to - on the brink, striving for success, and growing stronger with each victory. He'll carry the essence of the Hunting Grounds with him, allowing him to bestow the gift of resurrection on those he deems worthy.

He is her herald. He is a champion, a pearl-bearer. And he

Wakes up.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

8. - Top - End - #908

Default [Huntside]

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    Karl shrugs.

"At least I can try." he says. "At worst they can't help me i guess. Any other suggestion? I mean if there is nothing in the near future to help me I'm still stuck here. Might as well try to learn some new stuff."
    "Well, to start, what do you believe in?"
    Anchor asks, obviously with something in mind.

"And don't go it alone. Find friendship and love, even if you hope to be back home soon."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #909

[Huntside]

"Belive in?" karl asks obviously confused. "I never really thought about beliving in a higher might. I got some neat tricks up myself. maybe you can say I belive in inner strength of myself, but I guess you are not asking for that."

"Friendship and Love?" he repeats in a voice that suggest he think this is a joke.
    "Don't get me wrong. I understand what you mean, but I think I first fokus on the way back home." Not to metion how uneperienced he is in the love term. But that is nothing you put into anyones face.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Escape Pod

Leap snorts awake, groggy and with her head swimming, but something seemed to have caught her attention. "Princess? Where?" She asks, taking a rapid look around before wincing and holding her head in her hands. "No, bad Leap. No Princess. You'll find one someday." It takes her a bit to get to all eight of her feet, probably giving Rein a fairly humorous dance-like show before she too stumbles out of the escape pod with her parcel intact on her back.

Rein will find that they're close to the border of the Hunting Grounds, essentially a stone's throw from the village Huntside and just a bit further from Inside. Neither place would likely welcome Leap, but that would be her issue to deal with if he wanted to shove it off onto her. If he bothers to check, he'll find that the power core is still intact.
    [Escape Pod]

Rein gives a half-delirious laugh at Leap's clear desire for a princess. He just hadn't taken her for the type to go for refinement and royalty. "Sorry Leap. She's in another castle." The small smile never quite leaves Rein's face.

He sadly doesn't check on the power core at this time. The less he has to input the combination, the more comfortable he'll be around Leap. Besides if it was busted, there was nothing he could do about it now. When he returns to the ground, he'll lay it out for the drider. "Alright we're close to the edge. Once we're out of here, we'll stop by an old tavern and make a drop before heading to one of the cities." Reinholdt holds up the case with the power core in it to indicate the drop.

"We just gotta get past Huntside. And, uh," Rein looks Leap's outfit over again. The one that screams recent jailbreak. "We can either skirt the border or I can pretend you're my prisoner and we can just walk through. I keep spare cuffs. Just in case. We'll have to cover that cocoon with a blanket too or something. What would you prefer?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

11. - Top - End - #911

Default [Huntside]

Anchor nods, with a sad smile.
    "Not really. There are lots of mighty powers here, otherwordly and human alike."
    You can run into them anywhere.

"I mean ideas. Why you do things. I mean, you could align yourself with a church - I know some good ones, but there's other organizations. VIGIL, and the local mercenary groups, like that."

"Hey; don't laugh! I mean, this is just what I'm warning you about. Even if you're focused on getting home, you'll be here a little while. Don't do it without anyone backing you up."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #912

[Huntside]

"Until now I was just seekink around for a prupose. Mostly training myself." Karl replies.

"Well it sounds a bit like a cliche. Like you can hear in old stories or even read in some of them. I never encountered such a situation."

"I might take a look around, but as I said I fokus on getting home should there be a direkt path. Otherwise I will see."

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

Escape Pod => Huntside

"We might as well go through the village."
    Leap says as she removes the prisoner jumpsuit from her body. For a few moment she's entirely naked but it doesn't take her long to weave at least a harness from her webbing. Interestingly it doesn't come from her abdomen alone. The main thread does, but a catalyst comes from her wrists to make it become stiff and non-sticky. "Just gotta go back to my bounty huntin' days and we'll be set. Half that crew were pirates anyway an' I'm sure she's got such a brand somewhere on her if push comes to shove."

She tosses the jumpsuit back into the escape pod and gives a long stretch before letting out a sigh. "Freedom once more. Now all that's left is a good meal to get. Lead the way."

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

[Huntside]

Reinholdt is momentarily blindsided and lingers for a moment before he remembers himself and turns around to give Leap an imitation of privacy at least. He clears his throat before responding. "Pirates? What on earth was going on on that ship anyways?" Rein asks, realizing he honestly knew very little besides the fact there was some kind of cargo, prisoners, guards that were also pirates, and something worth quarantining.

Once Leap finishes making her clothes, he glances back towards her. "Right. Can't argue with freedom. It's the best dom." Having had those moments to recover, Rein sets off with surer footing than he had exiting the escape pod.

The trip goes smoothly enough and Rein doesn't pause to talk or make a scene in the village so they get through it rather quickly and uneventfully as the fey leads the drider Outside.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2019-02-11 at 02:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

15. - Top - End - #915

Default [Huntside]

"I understand training. Making yourself stronger. I mean, why do you think I come out here?"
    You mostly don't come out here, Anchor.

"Well, if you need help, you know where to find me at GLoG."

She waits for a moment before just saying "Good luck getting home."

And that's the end of that.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #916

[Huntside]

Karl shrugs. he doesnt know anchor enougth to say anything about her.

"Bye" he waves at Anchor and starts going.

17. - Top - End - #917

[Huntside]

Astrana, quite well known in huntside as she quite frequently stopped buy to gather reagents for her spells, enters through the front door. She is dressed in reasonably practical clothes in colors that will mask her presence well, but she still insists on wearing a skirt however despite the circumstances. Her red skin probably makes her stand out too against the greens, blacks and browns of the wilderness of the hunting grounds.
    A huge hyena walks behind her, saddled with bags filled with the warlocks gear.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

[Huntside]

It won't be long before Astrana is approached by someone she hasn't seen here before - although given how people come and go here, that's not unusual. He's an elf, of unusually heavy-set build and bald, with a pale brown complexion and an odd pattern of black markings on his face. He's wearing a coat of leather scales, holding a folded fur cloak in his right hand and wearing a heavy bag on his back. He seems to have come from a rather cold place. He bows politely to the warlock.

"Greetings. Would I be correct in guessing that you're Astrana Tyramer, an accomplished warlock who comes through here? I find myself in need of help from a fellow practitioner of the arts."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-03-12 at 03:41 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #919

[Huntside]

The warlock is standing by the supply office checking off a list when the man approaches her. She turns, regarding him with a stoic calm. "Charmer, are you? But, yes. I am she and who might you be 'fellow practitioner'?" She smiles as the giant hyena next to her looks at him, drawing in his scent.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

[Huntside]

"One learns politeness when in a foreign land," the elf says. He also has an air of cold and stoic calm about him. He looks down at the hyena with an expression of mild surprise. He has never seen a hyena before, it seems. "My name is Amalungak from the Taarik clan. I come from a frozen tundra far from here. I'd been struggling with a particular ritual for a while when I heard that a warlock visits here somewhat frequently."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

21. - Top - End - #921

[Huntside]

"Far away indeed, I'm afraid those names mean nothing to me." She remarks as she puts away the list in one of the pouches on the hyena. "But I'm more than willing to help, I have standard consultation fee which we can adjust depending on what you need help with. But considering you came to the hunting grounds of all places, I have a feeling I might have just what you need, mister Amalungak." She smiles as she offers her hand to shake. "Astrana Tyramere of MERC at your service."

The tiefling does appear rather young to be a supposed expert warlock. Then again, most warlocks don't tend to get very old.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-03-19 at 06:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

[Huntside]

Astrana does seem fairly young, but Amalungak didn't know what to expect from her regardless. She's the first tiefling he's met, as well. He shakes her hand firmly and seems to adopt her businesslike demeanor.

"To business, then," he says. He then reaches into the bag he's carrying on his back and produces two things. One is a sheaf of papers bound by a leather cover and string, while the other is a rolled-up parchment. "I've been working on a ritual to divine bonds of loyalty, obligation and duty between people and beings. But there's something I'm missing and I get the impression that it's some kind of material element... a substance I need to ingest or a sacrifice to make. I came here because it seems like the best place to obtain exotic materials, once I know what it is. I don't normally use such materials in my magic."

He then raises the parchment a little. "As for payment, I was hoping to repay a favor with a favor. I have a letter of introduction to a fairly powerful fae who lives here in the Hunting Grounds. He's somewhat reclusive and reluctant to enter contracts, but this letter would help to talk to him."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-03-19 at 11:27 AM.

23. - Top - End - #923

[Huntside]

"Then lets have a seat." She pulls out what appears to be a thin colorful carpet from one of the larger pouches and spreads it across the ground and gestures for him to sit down on it before she takes a seat herself, crossing her legs. "Now, before we even start discussing prices, who or what are you planning to use this ritual on? I respect my clients privacy but when it comes to rituals these things are important. I mean, if you are simply looking to obtain exotic materials, any exotic market or gatherer would do. My expertise is the ritual itself though so I need to know everything about it to be able to help you, including the purpose of it. That way I might be able to tell what you need. A lot of the time a entity can simply demand a exotic resources simply since it's difficult to obtain, not that it has any special qualities. It's the act of obtaining it that is important to the entity, not the material itself."

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

[Huntside]

Amalungak takes a seat and opens the leather-bound papers, revealing writing, symbols, glyphs and diagrams.

"Certainly. To start with, the target of this ritual is, strictly speaking, myself. Once completed, it should give me a preternatural insight into the bonds tying people and other beings around me together," he explains. "So it's less reliable than trying to target anyone in particular, but also easier, in its way. It doesn't bind any particular spirit or entity, but rather uses the spirit-world as a conduit. It lets me... peer into it, or one of its infinite layers rather, to see as spirits do. But since the spirit world is technically infinite, it's hard to attune to any particular part of it. I've delved into it time and again to find the specific layer that pertains to loyalty, oaths and obligations, but I can't seem to anchor myself into it, so to speak. I'm missing something."

25. - Top - End - #925

[Huntside]

Astrana raises an eyebrow. "You're talking about breaking down the ego bulwark." She declares. "You realize the downsides of doing that, correct? While you will become more attuned to the world of spirits, they will also be more attuned to you. Making you easier to influenced or possessed. Tieflings such as myself already have a weakened bulwark, but what you're talking about sounds like a complete breach. Unless you have a patron that protects you, any spirit could reach into your mind at any point."

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

[Huntside]

Amalungak nods, quite calm.

"I understand the risks involved, but where I come form, such practices are more common than summoning and binding spiritual beings as such. The spirits I'm used to working with are less.. coherent and have less agency than yours. Besides, as it happens, I do have a powerful patron."

27. - Top - End - #927

[Huntside]

"Fair enough then, just wanted to give you the heads up as spirits from more than your own exist in this place. But regardless, 'anchoring' yourself in such a way can still be dangerous so a totem or symbol of your patron will have to be included in this ritual so they can protect your mind if something goes wrong. But knowing that I think I know what you need. Metaphorically, there are a number of ways to reach a higher state of mind metaphorically depending on how you view the obstacle. If you view it as connection yourself to it, the traveling metaphor would probably be apt. That means you need a guide and to be able to pay the toll." She pauses. "But, before I get into too many details, there is the matter of payment. I don't usually get paid in a exchange of services and being introduced to a entity seems rather irregular. I'm a freelancer, a warlock, not a cleric with a patron. I don't allow entity's to bind themselves to me."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-03-24 at 08:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

[Huntside]

"I am aware it's irregular, so I can explain everything you need," Amalungak says, after having listened intently to Astrana's explanation. "They fey I'm talking about, Silent Feathers Drifting, lives in a location here in the Hunting Grounds, on the side of a lake. He's bound to the place between water, rock and forest, where many animals pass by. In time, he's gathered a number of elves around him and created a hunting lodge. He's a rather simple-minded fellow, even by fey standards. He enjoys hunting, the contest and strength and wits, and the celebration of success. He's not going to be interested in permanent contracts any more than you are. He enjoys being bound only to his land and his hunters. But he's been known to exchange favors and grant blessings of strength and tenacity in various forms, or even intercede personally."

29. - Top - End - #929

[Huntside]

"That is interesting, but I should point out, I'm not actually a hunter myself. Not in the traditional senses at least. I understand you that I might have given you that expression by simply being here, but I'm actually just here to set up traps. I don't actually do any hunting or fighting myself. Hastur here take care of any of the beasts that are still alive after I trap them." She gestures at the hyena. "Still, I could always give you a discount depending on how useful he is to me, though I really would have preferred if you came to me through my official channels. I'm cautious about all entities I haven't vouched for myself. They are dangerous beings and must be respect as such after all."

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

[Huntside]

Amalungak nods. His face and countenance continue to betray little emotion as they negotiate.

"Caution is entirely warranted. The letter of introduction will entreat Silent Feathers Drifting to treat you as a guest, however. Feel free to examine it if you wish," he says. "I do have some money, so a discount for the letter should suffice. I would love to have approached more officially, but I'm very new in these lands and rather pressed for time."