New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunting Grounds IV: Drops Contain 0% RNG

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Mysterious Crater

The closest of the giant vultures look up as they hear the sound of the chainsword. The sound of it combined with the shouting is causing some of them to take off and circle in the sky above Krrack. But they do not attack him, they are scavengers after all, not predators.

However, Krrack might notice that some of the foliage near him have started moving. It would seem something else have been attracted by all the noise he's making.

Down in the crater, the hyenas look up towards the sound, causing a momentary distraction. However, it will still be difficult to sneak past all these animals. Though considering there seem to be hyena pups around here, they are unlikely to want to leave this area easily.
    Kurrack goes into a defensive stance, and casts a magical prayer to the ancestors that the mystery animal is just a little thing. Like a blink bunny!
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Mess Hall]

"It's tradition for centaurs with opposite color hair like I do to take the role as shaman. It was also because I had used borrowed magic before, so I had aptitude to learn magic. Even though the herd's scrolls weren't horribly descriptive and I haven't figured it out all that well yet." Willa admits with a slightly embarrassed shrug.
    [Mess Hall]

"Good thing they were clear about the fashion that comes with the role at the very least." Astrana remarks dryly, traditions had always bothered her, especially traditions which made little sense to her. "So why are you here then and not with your tribe? Must be a good reason considering this place."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Mess Hall

"Ugh, I haven't even applied the paints yet. I need someone else to help me and it's been really awkward. As for being here, I thought that maybe all the wildlife here could teach me a thing or two. That and the rites have a diet that I'm stuck to and the plants back home taste awful so I was hoping to find something better out here. And I did!" she says proudly.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Mysterious Crater

Fendrick swallows his nerves, and decides that the distraction Kurrack has caused, though only minor, may help him. He hopes that the hyena things are friendly....

He gets up onto hind paws and pushes his way through the foliage down into the crater, inching slowly as there are are lots of leaves and things in his way. He waits to see if a hyena approaches, he will greet it and hope it will see him as fellow beast rather than prey... he has his Gladius ready anyhow...

5. - Top - End - #185

Mysterious Crater

It is not a blink bunny.

It is a boar the size of a semitruck.

It bursts out of the underbrush, with madness in its eyes. The giant beast appears to be wounded, its white fur is torn and there are fresh wounds all over its body, some that appear to have been infected by what appears to be ink that oozes out of the wounds.

The charges directly at Kurrack, not caring the least about the weapon in his hands as it moves straight for him to gore him with its tusks.

Down in the crater, the hyenas regard the newcomer with caution. They seem curious, though as soon as Fendrick comes close to one of the pups, they start to growl threateningly. They do not want him close to any of their children it appears.

Fendrick can see what appears to be small river leading further down into the crater. He would likely have to follow it to get to the artifact, whatatever it is. But he has to get past the hyenas first somehow.

Mess Hall

Good for her. Astrana couldn't care less about eating plants though, seemed like a waste to use such rare resources for food.

"How could the wildlife help you exactly? Are you looking for a sacrifice? A familiar? A patron?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-07-05 at 08:17 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Mess Hall

Silly Astrana. Grass is the least rare thing on a prairie.
    "I was hoping that this wild place would have animal spirits that were easier to call. But I'm still doing something wrong. It could be the paint I'm not using. Or maybe I'm not doing the dance right. And I didn't bring the guitar but it seemed unnucessary for this sort of thing." Willa says, planting her elbow on the table and her chin on her hand.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Near Mysterious Crater

Thank goodness it isn't a blink bunny. I'd have to start quoting Monty Python! yells Kurrack Lai as he employs his species infamous leaping abilities, jumping over the overgrown hog with ease, and landing on a tree branch where a bird (even if humanoid) would be if they were a cliche. Kurrack is a cliche, and he rests on the branch, wondering what the boar will do.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Blink Bunny Burrow

Ne-Gok-Sa and the warhounds charge into the burrow. They then start a very quick paced murder rampage with the bunnies.

9. - Top - End - #189

Mess Hall

"I see. Would you mind showing me your ritual, then? I've never actually seen a centaur dance before, so there are some questions I have. Do you use horseshoes or something else to protect your hooves in another fashion?" She gestures at Willa. "Is that your ritual outfit?" Astrana could see some practical concerns, unless of course centaur dancing was completely different from humanoid dancing.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Mess Hall

"No, this is my regular outfit, because I promised to honor the customs of my people and I can't really go back now. My ritual outfit is this." she drops a large pouch on the table. It appears to have some sort of paste inside.
    "I need to paint lines on myself and even with a long brush I can't get a good angle on my back hips. If you help me get this gunk on you can come. Oh, and I'm not allowed to wear shoes so I use this medicinal paste for my hooves. It seems to be working." Willa's feet are indeed still shiny and healthy.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Blink Bunny Burrow

Ne-Gok-Sa and the warhounds charge into the burrow. They then start a very quick paced murder rampage with the bunnies.
    The warhounds may have a difficult time. The burrow is extremely large and covers a wide area, and the rabbits keep blinking away whenever a hound gets within nose distance...
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Blink Bunny Burrow

While the hounds may have trouble, Ne-Gok-Sa with his mastery of psychics starts to notice a pattern that the bunnies follow, and starts to plan accordingly.

13. - Top - End - #193

Mess Hall

Astrana raises an eyebrow, there was so many questions. Mainly practical ones. "Your tribe should have more warlocks, or at least attendees, if you can't put it on yourself." She gestures around the mess hall. "Besides, I don't think this is the best place to perform a ritual. Do you know how to make a binding circle? Or do you prefer possession?"

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Blink Bunny Burrow

There is, in fact, a pattern to be noticed! It's very complex, however. Almost like it could be a piece of music...in fact, Ne-Gok-Sa may notice that it's very like a piece of music, depending on his senses.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Mess Hall

Astrana raises an eyebrow, there was so many questions. Mainly practical ones. "Your tribe should have more warlocks, or at least attendees, if you can't put it on yourself." She gestures around the mess hall. "Besides, I don't think this is the best place to perform a ritual. Do you know how to make a binding circle? Or do you prefer possession?"
    Mess Hall

Willa is unaware of Astrana's state.
    "Somewhere else is fine. And circles. Obviously. Why would I get myself possessed on purpose?" she answers.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Blink Bunny Burrow

Let us dance this dance of death, my quarry! Ne-Gok-Sa thinks to himself as he starts to follow the pattern, intercepting bunny blink locations just before they blink there.

17. - Top - End - #197

Mess Hall

"Warlocks of old would let themselves be possessed by outsiders to grant them boons as they shared one body and one mind. The trick is that you must put a lot of trust into the outsider that you let into your body. Tribes, much like yours, have 'house spirits', or 'gods' that would stay with them for generations, from warlock to warlock, from shaman to shaman. That way they could be sure that the spirit was to be trusted." Astrana explains.

"Binding circles are far safer, but they are not especially popular with the outsiders themselves as you force them to obey your commands. The circle implies that you expect the spirit to screw you over, that there is a divide between you and the spirit you summon." She continues. "The fourth tower, an organization I was a part of for a long time, employes this technique a lot as their ideal is to take power for their own sake. They do not believe in building bonds with potentially dangerous spirits. I take you are of the same mindset then? I certainly don't use summoning through possession often. It is a dangerous technique."

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Mess Hall

Willa nods at the explanation.
    "Yeah, the scrolls had a short list of spirits that were trustworthy old spirits of the Herd. I don't know if I would bind them. It did say that they would never betray us. she looks embarrassed.
    And I'll remind you that I've had two weeks to learn this stuff. I don't really have the experience to have an opinion on any of this." she admits.

19. - Top - End - #199

Mess Hall

"I would suggest not binding them if they are your tribal spirits, they might get greately offended at such an act." Astrana suggests. "But don't you have any teacher, an older shaman perhaps? Otherwise, I would suggest looking for one right away. I've seen what has happened to relatively inexperienced people in this job, they don't tend to make it very far. Until then, just keep yourself to your tribal spirits. Those are usually less dangerous, unless you disrespect them somehow of course." She had no idea why they would just hand this job to someone that didn't even know anything about the tribe. Sounded like they needed a fall person for some grave atrocity that the tribe had commited. A new shaman to blame all their previous sins on.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Mess Hall

"The last shaman died ages ago. I have a teacher teaching me about the arts of medicine and such, and Message's priestess can help if I really need it. But it's not the same kind of thing, really. She can only provide guidance really. How much do you charge?" Willa asks jokingly.

21. - Top - End - #201

Mess Hall

And it took them this long to get a new one? Astrana doesn't know the circumstances surrounding how they come to select her, but this sounded pretty suspicious. Willa seemed pretty oblivious to it though, just how young was she? She must have lived a pretty comfy life.

"I have never taught anyone, if that's what you're asking. Not to mention that I have an actual job to do. You could perhaps help me though, I am in the business of gathering reagents from the hunting grounds. You might learn a thing or two from that."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Mess Hall

Farm life isn't comfy by most people's standards.
    "Well, it's not the worst job I've had to help someone with. I'll help I guess. " she mumbles as she takes the pouch of ink and toes it back to her little harness.

23. - Top - End - #203

Mess Hall

"If you're sure, then I could write up a contract for you to make sure we both get what we want out of this arrangement. But first, I should ask you what you expect out of it. What do you wish to learn, in broad strokes? Any particular skills, like healing or spells to ensure a bountiful harvest? I do not know what your tribe is into."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Mess Hall

"My job is to heal the sick of my herd and keep them in good relations with the spirits of the world. So other than the healing thing it's a pretty vague job, especially since they've not bothered to have on in ages. So we can start with that, and whatever general things come along the way." Willa says with a shrug.

25. - Top - End - #205

Mess Hall

They've not been bothering to have it in "ages"? Just how long was that? There seemed to be a real mystery behind this. Was this some cult that she had been introduced into? It made sense with the fact that they apparently demanded her to go around nearly flashing everyone. Who would demand that out of a person? A pervert testing the boundaries of his powers of course. Testing how far another person was willing to go to feel that they belonged somewhere. Just like the instructors within the fourth tower tested how much the acolytes were willing to sacrifice to gain minuscule power.

The tiefling raises her eyebrows. "You don't know? Usually the shaman have a strict role within their community, they have to maintain the relationship with the tribal spirits with various sacrifices and tributes. If these bonds haven't been strengthened for "ages", then these spirits might not be too happy with your tribe. Have they mentioned anything about that? Just how long have you even been with these people?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2017-07-20 at 08:43 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Mess Hall

"Just a few weeks. But I was personally appointed by their goddess, who owned my brother a favor. Also, I do know, and I just told you." Jeez, was this lady even paying attention?
    Maybe she was distracted making up conspiracy theories. Just like how she told Astrana that she dresses like everyone else in their tribe but apparently the tiefling is convinced it's just some perverts.
    Willa pulls out a dusty scroll and drops it onto the table, opening it up to a certain section.
    "There. My job description." It's rather long. Healer, spirit medium, negotiator, herbalist, record-keeper at times. Quite a good many things.

27. - Top - End - #207

Mess Hall

Defensive. Hmm.

"My apologizes if I insulted you, Willa. I just need to be clear on a few things here before we can get started." Astrana says as she looks at the scroll. Didn't seem like anything particularly odd, yet it somehow felt at odds with what she had told her so far. She needed to find out more about this goddess. "You never mentioned a goddess before, for instance. Since I was under the impression you were more of a warlock in terms of patrons. But now it sounds more like you are a priest with, ah, benefits. Could you describing your relationship to this goddess? Does she set any rules, or let you channel spells through her? Since some gods might be angry if you turn to other entities, or even interact too closely to mixed practitioners such as myself."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

[Mess Hall]

"It's complicated. And don't worry about it. Message is the patron of the town we live in. I don't really deal with her. She only communicated with me the one time. Mostly, I'm around to deal with the Herd's more small scale magical beings. Very occasionally Her, but usually she has a high priestess for that. Mostly she just has some supervision over some of the rites. The Herd's old gods had all sorts of personal demands for them, but they're gone now. Don't ask me,
    the details were lost in whatever horrible events happened. Either way, Message only asked for one sacrifice from me, and it's a small thing. Nothing to worry about."
    Willa assures her.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbear View Post
    Blink Bunny Burrow

The bunnies are catchable for a little bit. Suddenly though, Ne-Gok-Sa might sense some vibrations coming through the ground...vibrations that are *much* too large to come from blink bunnies.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    [Mess Hall]

"It's complicated. And don't worry about it. Message is the patron of the town we live in. I don't really deal with her. She only communicated with me the one time. Mostly, I'm around to deal with the Herd's more small scale magical beings. Very occasionally Her, but usually she has a high priestess for that. Mostly she just has some supervision over some of the rites. The Herd's old gods had all sorts of personal demands for them, but they're gone now. Don't ask me,
    the details were lost in whatever horrible events happened. Either way, Message only asked for one sacrifice from me, and it's a small thing. Nothing to worry about."
    Willa assures her.
    [Mess Hall]

And now there was a high priest and a shaman? She had heard of communities like that, but there usually was a rivalry between the priest and the shaman. This seemed to be something else though. It felt like they were hiding something from Willa.
    "I see, that's an unusual division of power. Could you explain your relationship to this priest? Is she your superior? Usually communities have either a god or a number of spirits, not both."