New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #352 - The Discussion Thread

Control weather doesn't do THAT much damage :)

EDIT: It also can't do sonic damage. Weather cannot produce sonic effects. I'm kind of wondering how that worked.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

The "It always works with my teachers" line was too great. Did anyone expect Durkon to actually save the day?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

You can do that with Weather Control? That's bad ***! (language protection for the kiddies) Durkon is awesome, way to face his fears, kinda.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ok, thats it. of all the characters of all the strips, I officialy hate Julia the most. She's worse than Miko, because at least miko had some nice angstyness and tragedy.

Maybe It's the inflated self-opinion, the brattyness, the casual throwing of insults like "loser" and "lame" jsut strikes at something in me. Asymetrical Runt ticks me off to, because i like pompey (what can I say, he's a kindred soul). the "Boobs" thing pissed me off too, for some reason. I guess I just need to purge all those high school memories. I can remember way too many girls just liek that.

This is a great strip, I loved the dramatic scenes, but i find myself more angry than awed. Im angry at a friggin stick figure.

great job, rich. you have elicited a genuine emotional response from me.

My colors are Blue/Green. I value versitality, knowledge, evolution, and the nautral world. I have a deep fascination with living things, and a natural talent for adaptation. At my best, I am intuitive and adaptive. At my worst, I am isolated and unsympathetic. My symbol is the twisted tree, and my enemy is Red/Black.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

sonic indeed....

Silly tree huggers never win

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

...C-could someone explain to me how that worked?

I mean, I get the idea that Durkon was using the abilty to control the weather to create a lightning bolt...with the express intent of creating a sonic boom...or a loud noise of SOME sort, anyway....

But I'm not honestly sure how that translates into the trees exploding. Can there be lightning THAT powerful?

Don't get me wrong...I liked this comic. But at the risk of revealing my ignorance, I have absolutely no clue how he pulled that off.
    Eventually I'll return. Eventually.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

I loved the pacing. Durkon's spell wouldn't have had it's full effect if we hadn't been left in suspense for a while. I didn't find any of this funny, but it was enjoyable. Bravo. 8/10.

Julia seems to be one of those insufferable people who can't live without people giving her attention and doting over her. Anyway, could Durkon hear her, or was he in a trance?
    Proud dictator of the miko fan club
    If you wanna be cool and join the Miko Fan Club,
    just put Miko in your sig and make up a position!
    Ambitious lieutenant of the Miko Mafia
    nuclear physicist of the Hinjo fan club

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Sonic thunder...
    Spoiler: PbP Games
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

One quibble: If that was four miles out, the thunder should have taken 20 seconds to arrive, not 4.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

That was...SO awesome. I don't know how RB elicits this kind of response with a freaking comic, but I got chills at the special effects panel.

And it looks like the Greenhilt family is just prone to "comeuppance in mid-self-absorbed-rant."

I expected the come-from-behind retaliation on this one to come from Elan, honestly, but I suppose that's been done.

Of all the characters in this comic, Durkon's the one who I actually respect the most. It is very cool that he finally lives up to the power of a level 12-13 magic user...now just waiting for it to happen with Elan.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Taren
    ...C-could someone explain to me how that worked?

I mean, I get the idea that Durkon was using the abilty to control the weather to create a lightning bolt...with the express intent of creating a sonic boom...or a loud noise of SOME sort, anyway....

But I'm not honestly sure how that translates into the trees exploding. Can there be lightning THAT powerful?

Don't get me wrong...I liked this comic. But at the risk of revealing my ignorance, I have absolutely no clue how he pulled that off.

Well, if somehow he was able to find the eigenvalue for living trees, and was able to control the thunder to have exactly the right frequency, then its possible that he could shatter the trees. I don't think wood is brittle enough to do that, Sure was awesome though!
    Real wizards use staves

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Finally, Durkon gets to be the hero. And Julia's lines were hilarious.
    Haiku

They're easy to write,
    But they're hard to understand.
    Refrigerator.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh come on now,
    with all the rules out there changing this energy into that energy. . . Control Weather could do it simply.

Also, if one were praying to

um

THOR

the god of. . .

oh yeah

THUNDER,
    it's possible that Thor would trade an "ineffective" lightning bolt for a very effective sonic boom.

Haar

ps this is not to discount what a stupid effect "sonic damage" is. . . friggin WOTCers played too much Street Fighter 2, if you aks me.
    Though Vaarsuvius crushed me in the past, I will rise from the ashes to haunt your Latin Textbooks.

No more Miko!

Proud Founder of the "I was never fooled by Miko and her capacity for evil and all you people who were scare the pants off of me" Club

"I was going to use the gates to harness the Snarl for myself, but I've just finished researching the epic spell I like to call 'Disintegrate Earth,' and I figured that'd expedite things." -- Mewtarthio

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Finwe

Well, if somehow he was able to find the eigenvalue for living trees, and was able to control the thunder to have exactly the right frequency, then its possible that he could shatter the trees. I don't think wood is brittle enough to do that, Sure was awesome though!
    Besides, there are several different types of trees there. They would not all have the same frequency. But I'm willing to look past impossibility for the story's sake.
    Proud dictator of the miko fan club
    If you wanna be cool and join the Miko Fan Club,
    just put Miko in your sig and make up a position!
    Ambitious lieutenant of the Miko Mafia
    nuclear physicist of the Hinjo fan club

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Great comic, a nice treat for me before I hit the hay.
    "As a matter of fact, I swallowed one of these about 3 hours ago. The explanation is, that it is infact, my hand"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

Once again, when the **** hits the fan and the situation is grim, SEND IN THE DWARF!!!

Dwarf + Treants = Toothpicks

8)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've got to say, I had no idea that this was going to happen, even though we've seen Durkon use Call Lightning in a similar way before, in the intro section to DCF.

As to how it works, I imagine Durkon dumped all his spellcasting ability for the day into a special Control Weather to create a supercell storm for what is obviously the greatest lightning bolt ever seen. The DM of the comic decided that this was excellent role playing and chose to give him an wonderful result.

And as for hating Julia's behavior, she's role playing her character in a consistent manner.
    awarded blue ribbon by Ravenwind&&awarded Paying Attention to Earlier Conversations About the Same Topic Award by Kanashimi

18. - Top - End - #48

AssassinGuy

I just noticed that Durkon is holding a scroll...
    The Hundred Second
    Creator of the first iteration of The Stick Awards

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by theKOT
    I loved the pacing. Durkon's spell wouldn't have had it's full effect if we hadn't been left in suspense for a while. I didn't find any of this funny, but it was enjoyable. Bravo. 8/10.

Julia seems to be one of those insufferable people who can't live without people giving her attention and doting over her. Anyway, could Durkon hear her, or was he in a trance?
    theKot -- You need to start a thread with all of your ratings on them. Even if you haven't rated all of the comics at least rate the ones you have rated so far.

20. - Top - End - #50

I think the "BOOM!" panel is among my favorite OOTS panels thus far. Singularly impressive from Sir Durkon.

Looked like he got that off a scroll - I wonder who from?

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

21. - Top - End - #51

At the beginning I thought that Durkon was simply saying something like "Tha trees are here, tha trees are here," quite a surprise when his eyes went completely white and in comes the uber lightning.

I also liked V's smile when she sees the lightning, nice comic giant :)
    Awesome avatar thanks to Ceika

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Yaaay Durkon! Durkon to the rescue! Guess all that fear of trees energy was spent learning how to best destroy them, especially large groups! ;D

And I thought that you could tell how far away lightning strikes by the estimate of one second=one mile distance, so there would be a second's delay after the lightning flash for every mile of distance the listener was from the lightning. Or so I have heard.

"...two Mississippi, three Mississippi" LOL! ;D
    When the going gets tough, the tough get Mom.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ooh, looking back at the comic, I finally noticed how the background sky kept getting darker as Durkon was chanting.
    awarded blue ribbon by Ravenwind&&awarded Paying Attention to Earlier Conversations About the Same Topic Award by Kanashimi

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by roguemomof7
    And I thought that you could tell how far away lightning strikes by the estimate of one second=one mile distance, so there would be a second's delay after the lightning flash for every mile of distance the listener was from the lightning. Or so I have heard.

"...two Mississippi, three Mississippi" LOL! ;D
    Heres where I am a bit unsure... I was under the impression that it was approximately 1 second per 1/4 mile... let me quickly calculate...

speed of sound at sea level = 340.29 m / s

1 mile = 1609.344 meters

350.29/1609.344 yields 0.217660115

therefore, almost a 1/4 mile per second, so technically durkon shuld be counting to about 16, but for the humor value sound travels as needed (and 4 is a funnier number than 16)
    If you are interested in Irish/Celtic music and/or metal, please check out my band, www.metalkelt.com

25. - Top - End - #55

DwarfFighterGuy

Go. Durkon.
    There's a certain phrase I'm thinking of... what is? Oh, it's right on the tip of my tongue. Ah, of course.
    PWNAGE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequinox View Post
    Disturbing incarnate.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sorry for posting again in the same thread, but I just noticed something: The lighting shaters Leeky's staff. This might have dispelled the protection from fire and lightning, thus making the trees vulnerable.
    Haiku

They're easy to write,
    But they're hard to understand.
    Refrigerator.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MetalKelt

Heres where I am a bit unsure... I was under the impression that it was approximately 1 second per 1/4 mile... let me quickly calculate...

speed of sound at sea level = 340.29 m / s

1 mile = 1609.344 meters

350.29/1609.344 yields 0.217660115

therefore, almost a 1/4 mile per second, so technically durkon shuld be counting to about 16, but for the humor value sound travels as needed (and 4 is a funnier number than 16)

Obviously the atmospheric density is different in OOTS-land. This might explain how dragons fly and sound waves are capable of doing that much damage... ;)

28. - Top - End - #58

This strip delivers the awesome!!!!

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

These most be the strangest way to make a sonic atack. Durkon saved the day, now least wait to see how much time take them to find out Elan is messing. Great one Giant and Julia was great too (the "boobs" joke is someting to remenber)
    “I have bonus of -6 for Spelling -4 Grammar and I think I totally fail the checks for this lasts posts.”

30. - Top - End - #60

:o...
    ...:o...
    ......:o......

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!! GO DURKON!!

That was freaking AWESOME!!!!! I saw Durkon's eyes and was seriously thinking he'd somehow harnassed the power of Thor (like an Avatar or something) but I guess this is close enough! :D:D:D:D
    ~Shin-no-Nekochan, Fruchan, Nekochan, Compuscouts&&\"So open up your mind / and close your eyes\" Saiyuki&&\"I believe in love surviving death into Eternity!\" Savage Garden&&\"Here I Am / This is Me\" Bryan Adams&&\"Life is a road an\' I wanna\' keep goin\',\" Anastasia&&\"I will learn to survive!\" Duran Duran