New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: OOTS #352 - The Discussion Thread

I didn't get that it was the sonic shock that cracked the trees until I saw the forum. Darn. Anyway,

M-M-M-M-MULTI-KILL

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Sweeeeet!!! ;D

I also thought Durkon was scared in a stupor at the beginning, but I really should have known better. Durkon may not like trees, but I can't recall that he's ever frozen up over them.

And I would pay attention to Julia. The Ren Faire is shut down for the season, I'm cleavage-deprived.

Edit: M-M-M-M-MONSTER-KILL, KILL, Kill!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by kits.dm
    Giant, brilliant comic. [1]

Love your work.

[1] I have this theory that Durkon doesn't actually cast Weather control, but Miracle instead. And y'know Miracle is one of those wonderful plot fixing spells. ;)
    Actually that's an interesting idea. How about this theory: Durkon being freaked by the trees drags out his Miracle scroll as a last resort. Durkon doesn't have Control Weather (either didn't pray for it or isn't high enough level whatever) but Miracle can duplicate other spell effects so Durkon asks for Control Weather. Thor knows Control Weather by itself wouldn't harm the trees, but knows what Durkon really wants to do and tweaks things a bit, either because he likes Durkon, he hates trees, or he just likes destroying stuff.
    Why is abbreviation such a long word?

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by humanpylon

...or he just likes destroying stuff.
    If it were a Miracle, I'd go for this reason.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrael, The Dreamer
    I officialy hate Julia the most. She's worse than Miko, because at least miko had some nice angstyness and tragedy.
    Ah, the joys of teen queen. Don't worry, I'm sure Julia has some nice qualities beyond her "tatas".

Maybe It's the inflated self-opinion, the brattyness, the casual throwing of insults
    If you're imprisoned for several weeks, I'd expect one to have some disrespect for the captors.

Im angry at a friggin stick figure.
    Wonderful, it is. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxhavoc
    Control weather doesn't do THAT much damage
    I believe there was a GOD involved. Take your pick -- Thor or The Giant in the Playground. (A park kinda counts as a playground, yes? :))

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower
    Also, if it's doing that kind of damage to trees, what's it doing to low-level types, such as the average member of the local constabulary?
    Perhaps it's only harmful to magical wood. As the enemy of Dwarvenkind in a world with Gods, it's as good an excuse as any. :)

6. - Top - End - #96

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower
    Um, while it was impressive and all... how would it avoid causing massive property damage to the city?

Also, if it's doing that kind of damage to trees, what's it doing to low-level types, such as the average member of the local constabulary?

I don't mind taking myself out of the rulebooks for the purpose of the comic strip, nor out of the realm of realistic physics for that purpose, but when a sonic burst of energy can shred wood, not even humour explains why nothing and no one else is seriously hurt.

Eh, I guess I'll just chalk it up to DM ex machina: If the DM thinks it would be fun to allow it and wants to ignore the full consequences that come from allowing it, just let it go.
    If you look at the comic then you can see that it did have an affect outside of just Leeky and the trees.

It could certainly have caused lots of damage outside of just the bad guys.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Halfling in the Playground

The guy in the hot air balloon has to change his pants, I bet.

Seeing all the ships and blimps tilted cracked me up :)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

wow... that was a great strip... lol

V's look in the third to last frame... priceless

the "boobs" joke.. priceless

the white eyes.. priceless

for everything else... see Durkon... lol

very nice comic giant... this one acctually made me laugh out loud..

"Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual." ~Drizzt Do'Urden, from Streams of Silver by R.A. Salvatore

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Two things that need to be said:

1. Great cleavage must run in the family
    2. I wonder what the concentration DC was to avoid looking at Julia?
    Characters:
    None right now!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

Here's my explanation for how the sound did so much damage in a localized area:

Constructive interference.

The sound waves from the multiple bolts, reflecting off of buildings and other objects, all added up to one big freakin' BOOM right at that spot. As Thor is a God, he can set up the situation so that he gets as big a BOOM as he feels like.

It's just barely plausible enough to qualify as a legitimate tactic under D&D physics. ;)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solara

I absolutely love Julia...talk about the complete opposite of Roy, and for a True Neutral she sure does remind me of Belkar on occasion. (Er...except for the fact that she's never brutally murdered anyone for fun. And Belkar wouldn't be able to effectively use the boobs joke as an attention getting device, though it's just bizarre enough to be hilarious to imagine him trying...)
    So, where is it established that she is true Neutral? I've read each comic a few times by now, but maybe I missed this detail?

I, like others posting, really enjoyed the details in this strip. I wasn't even sure that was Durkon in the first frame where he is pictured, but everything gets a bit clearer with with each new panel.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Umm... isn't Weather Control like a 7th level spell? As in you need to be like 13th to be able to cast it? Granted, he had a scroll, but IIRC, casting off of higher-than-you-can-cast scrolls can lead to some extremely unplesant effects if you screw it up.
    Well... since folks have calculated in the past that V is around level 13 or 14 or some such, I see no reason why Durkon couldn't be there as well.

Anway. For all the naysayers, this worked because it was too freaking cool not to. One of those times when the DM is so impressed by your plan to get out of the impossible situation that he decides to give you a little leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Elftist

So, where is it established that she is true Neutral? I've read each comic a few times by now, but maybe I missed this detail?
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0343.html
    I am... no one.

13. - Top - End - #103

Here. Last panel.

Simu-ninja'd!

14. - Top - End - #104

To quote Julia, "I'm True Neutral. I go both ways."

From OOTS 343

EDIT: Curse you TinSoldier, I would have answered first if it wasn't for you and those meddling kids!
    If you are interested in Irish/Celtic music and/or metal, please check out my band, www.metalkelt.com

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

AWESOME!

Yeah, that about sums it up.
    I have a webcomic about a commando and a bear! Jack & Voytek

16. - Top - End - #106

DwarfClericGuy

WOW!

All I can say really, Loved the Last Panel, so we could start a debate saying the lightning was 1 mile away if we really wanted to, but why bother.

I keep thinking of Marvin the Martian, Where was the Kaboom? There was supposed to be a hugh Kaboom!

The light in Durkon's eyes was really cool as well.

Julia? well she was kinda annoying, but hey, I'll give her a chance.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

BOOM!

Laugh out loud funny. I thought for sure Durkon was going to be paralyzed with tree-fear and muttering whatever the dwarvish equivalent of "Hail Mary" is.

Super cool.

Simon

18. - Top - End - #108

i love durkon.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Barbarian in the Playground

So how did he get to the roof unseen ???

thanx to Abardam for these fantastic Erfworldstyle sigatars
    For the awesome 'The Wolf'-sigatar I thank Sampi.
    Kd7sov, thank you for the Girl Genius, Agatha Heterodyne avatar

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

HOLY CRAP is RIGHT!
    THAT WAS AWSOME! I was scrolling down the comic on my small inset screen thinking, okay, a mildly funny boob joke..hohum...then KABOOM! :o
    Wow! Durkon ROCKS! And here I thought he was one of the lamer OotS characters.

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Felinoid
    And finally, a small quibble. Somehow, this just doesn't seem like it should be taking up two pages, but I can't really find anywhere to snip it. There are the action panels, Julia's ranting extends the character, the panels where Julia just stands there show the waiting for a response (instead of just demanding an answer non-stop without leaving a space for an answer as some women are prone to do), and even the over-sized panels can't be shrunk because they're meant to impress upon you the size of the lightning and the size of the sound. The only thing I can really point at is the very first panel being a bit extraneous, but taking out one panel messes up the scheme, and as it is, it kind of fits.
    I think you may be missing the point of this:
    Pacing. Seeing the closed door closed, the pauses and all of those things are building up a sense of anticipation, before you are rocked out of your chair by the second half. The only reason it takes a full two strips' length is the unbelievable splash pages, anyway.

You know, it may have been kind of cool to have just seen Durkon's eyes and then had to wait till wednesday for the second half. I LOVED this, but that might have been a cool cliff-hanger.
    Proud dictator of the miko fan club
    If you wanna be cool and join the Miko Fan Club,
    just put Miko in your sig and make up a position!
    Ambitious lieutenant of the Miko Mafia
    nuclear physicist of the Hinjo fan club

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by battleburn
    So how did he get to the roof unseen ???

There's a ladder (or what looks to be a ladder) leading off the roof just to Durkon's left while he's chanting.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Roaming Gnome
    Can we please stop with the stupid "1st page" crap... really, its rather annoying.
    I agree...it's infantile. Let's focus on the comic itself, not on whether the comment made the first page of the forum.

By the way...great comic, Giant. Wish my Triona could have cast Weather Control with such discipline and accuracy. Unfortunately, she was an accident waiting to happen....but that's another story. ;)
    "How do you know I'm not Sam Beckett?"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

That. Was. Awesome.

Great comic! Oh how I like divine spells.
    Currently Running
    The Gavisoria Games: IC | OOC
    The Obsidian Guild: IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Does thunder loud enough to shatter trees really count as a "general tendancy of the weather?" Ah, well, it wouldn't be the first house rule we've seen in OOTS. Or maybe the fact that Durkon worships the god of THUNDER has something to do with his success with this spell? ;) Especially if Thor is aware that one of his clerics is on a mission to save the world, in which case he might be watching Durkon kind of closely.

Obviously, this wasn't trivial for Durkon to set up, but as the comic's title indicates, it was well worth it.

- Scroll of Control Weather: 2,275 gp.
    - Altering local atmospheric conditions: 10 minutes.
    - Destroying an army of animated trees: Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazzo, the 102nd
    And this explains the reason for V shouting SONIC out loud -- he was telling Durkon what to do.
    Ohhhh, so THAT'S how Durkon knew to attack the trees with sound.

Clever.

Quote Originally Posted by storybookknight
    Looked like he got that off a scroll - I wonder who from?
    Obviously, it's one of the scrolls that Durkon bought back in Azure city, as he said he was going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain_Maris
    And Mississipi (it's plural) are probably found in the bestiary, not atlas.
    Ah, the dreaded mississippus. But of course...

It might have been funnier to have Durkon use something dwarfier with the same number of syllables: "One pint 'o lager, two pints 'o lager..." But then some readers might have been confused about what he was doing; this way it's more obvious that he's timing the thunder.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Advocate
    It might have been funnier to have Durkon use something dwarfier with the same number of syllables: "One pint 'o lager, two pints 'o lager..." But then some readers might have been confused about what he was doing; this way it's more obvious that he's timing the thunder.
    No, the Mississipi is funnier largely because its an anachorism.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Wow. Just... wow!

Long time lurker, first time poster. This comic lured me out to post my applause.

I wanted to believe that Ray saw the trap. I wanted to believe our heroes were clever enough to get out.

V's smile proved it for me. She knew.

And that "BOOM"! I simply adore Durkon. I did before. Now it's confirmed.

Beautiful comic, Rich. I'm really looking forward to seeing more.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

It has been shown in past comics that the verbal component for any spell is the name of the spell. In the one panel we can read, Durkon says -- or finishes saying -- "Control Weather" seven times. There are seven other panels in which Durkon is doing nothing other than, presumably, saying "Control Weather". Which means that Durkon has likely cast Control Weather at least 49 times. I'd say that's more than enough to do what he did. The real question is where he got enough slots to cast Control Weather 49 times.
    "Blood Drain (Ex): A dire weasel drains blood for 1d4 points of Constitution damage each round it remains attached." -- D&D 3.5 Monster Manual page 65

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

POWER!!!

This comic had me pumping my fist in geekish glee. Rock on, Durkon, rock on!
    Visit Sunny Balmy Exotic Sigil, City of Doors

"Parallel" avatar by idksocrates
    Lady of Pain avatar by ElfLad

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Go Durkon! That was AWESOME!!

/yay boobs!