New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #352 - The Discussion Thread

Durkon proceeds to add another piece of evidence as to why he is, in my opinion, the most powerful member of the Order of the Stick.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

I think it's probably a modified control weather which deals sonic damage. Of course, this is a heck of a lot of sonic damage with a .8 mile radius (despite what Leeky said, 4 seconds = .8 miles.) Probably a Miracle.

And thus Julia finds the only man (besides her brother) who isn't attracted to her. Ah, the dramatic possibilities.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Weasel
    It has been shown in past comics that the verbal component for any spell is the name of the spell. In the one panel we can read, Durkon says -- or finishes saying -- "Control Weather" seven times. There are seven other panels in which Durkon is doing nothing other than, presumably, saying "Control Weather". Which means that Durkon has likely cast Control Weather at least 49 times. I'd say that's more than enough to do what he did. The real question is where he got enough slots to cast Control Weather 49 times.
    No, control weather has a casting time of 10 minutes. Since spells with a duration of instantaneous (or one round, as we've seen from Pompey) only need the name to be said once, it makes perfect sense for Durkon to have been chanting for the last 7 comics.

V is smiling because he made his Spellcraft check. However, I'm surprised he doesn't cover his sensitive elvish ears...

Of course, nothing that that druid could do would be capable of granting the treants total immunity. Durkon would probably be able to handle them all with a single casting of call lightning.
    Oh, right, Durkon uses lightning bolts like V.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wellington
    Either the DM is giving Durkon major license, or else Durkon and his player are doing some brilliant rules-lawyering. Time for a bit of dorkery.

According to the inverse-square law, ANY undirected blast of sound would have negligible effects on the trees from such a great distance; it would be spread out over a wide area.
    One word... Magic.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

[glow=red,2,300]BOOM![/glow]

hehehehe ;D

EDIT - Durkon was casting from a scroll
    OOTS Avatar by kalirush!
    ERF Avatar by Dr. Bath!

This is for my sister - she's a great nanny.

Nanny Resources of Ohio
    Central Ohio's finest nanny
    placement service.
    www.NannyResourcesOfOhio.com

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer
    V is smiling because he made his Spellcraft check. However, I'm surprised he doesn't cover his sensitive elvish ears...
    He does cover his ears in the last panel. Just look at V.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

these recent comics remind me of the power codzilla... *works on cleric build*

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ironers
    Durkon is the best, hands down.

And Julia looks to be cut from the same cloth as her father. Roy is coming across now as the black sheep in a family full of self-absorbed ingrates.
    Roy's still pretty self-absorbed, just less so than the rest of his family. But he carrys it off well, and it doesnt stop him from being likable or a ok person.

My colors are Blue/Green. I value versitality, knowledge, evolution, and the nautral world. I have a deep fascination with living things, and a natural talent for adaptation. At my best, I am intuitive and adaptive. At my worst, I am isolated and unsympathetic. My symbol is the twisted tree, and my enemy is Red/Black.

9. - Top - End - #129

This... Is my favourite... OotS... Ever...

Control Weather FTW, beyotch!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Weasel
    It has been shown in past comics that the verbal component for any spell is the name of the spell. In the one panel we can read, Durkon says -- or finishes saying -- "Control Weather" seven times. There are seven other panels in which Durkon is doing nothing other than, presumably, saying "Control Weather". Which means that Durkon has likely cast Control Weather at least 49 times. I'd say that's more than enough to do what he did. The real question is where he got enough slots to cast Control Weather 49 times.
    Like someone else said, i think he made a special deal with the DM, and blew every spell slot he has for the day, to cast the spell.

My colors are Blue/Green. I value versitality, knowledge, evolution, and the nautral world. I have a deep fascination with living things, and a natural talent for adaptation. At my best, I am intuitive and adaptive. At my worst, I am isolated and unsympathetic. My symbol is the twisted tree, and my enemy is Red/Black.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey. The gay dwarf line is funny. On a side note, I actually frustrated a DM once because he had an NPC try to get my character (who WAS in fact gay) distracted by just such a thing.

Oh, and as for my take on what the heck just happened: another vote for the 'too cool NOT to have worked'
    What\'s the CR on a religion?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

@ the guy with the inverse square law citation: true, but you have to realize that most lightning strikes aren't strong enough to cause a tidal wave or span a city, this one should by rites have deafened everyone in the city who was outdoors and caused some of the people in the blimps to go into shock.

Kinda reminds me of the designator from incoming: final conflict, does no damage on impact... 3... 2... 1... Strange humming noise... massive disintegration. this also came to mind
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh SNAP!

The dwarf just got bad ass on us! :o
    Soon we must all face the Choice, Between what is right, and what is easy...

14. - Top - End - #134
    Firbolg in the Playground

I might say HOLY CRAP!

that was the greatest turnaround ever after the turnaround in the battle of pelennor field with that legendary rooster.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Tmabbbb
    Sorry for posting again in the same thread, but I just noticed something: The lighting shaters Leeky's staff. This might have dispelled the protection from fire and lightning, thus making the trees vulnerable.
    Nah, that wouldn't have any effect on spells already cast from the staff. Besides, it's THUNDER, not lightning! The lightning is way off in the distance!

Still, if is a magic staff, losing it should be a signinficant hindrance to Leeky.

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost
    Umm... isn't Weather Control like a 7th level spell? As in you need to be like 13th to be able to cast it? Granted, he had a scroll, but IIRC, casting off of higher-than-you-can-cast scrolls can lead to some extremely unplesant effects if you screw it up.
    Casting off of scrolls of a caster level slightly higher than your own isn't really all that dangerous. Durkon has at least a 90% (probably 95%) chance of making the caster level check; and even if he failed it, he'd still have at least a 90% chance of avoiding a mishap. So that's at worst a 1% chance of a mishap. And even if there were one, it wouldn't be any more powerful an effect than a spell of that level, so a group of characters one of whom will be able to cast such a spell himself in a few levels have a pretty good chance of being able to weather (heh) such an effect.

Now, in this particular case, one of the potential mishaps might be a random change in the weather. But given the unlikelihood of a mishap happening at all, and then the further unlikelihood of the mishap being a random weather change, and then the further unlikelihood of the random change being seriously harmful... Well, multiply it all out, and it's (guesstimating here) something like a 1 in 10,000 chance of leveling the city with a tornado versus a 100% chance of the city being invaded by an army of trees.

I don't think we have to guess at which one Durkon would regard as the greater risk. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronfar
    Here's my explanation for how the sound did so much damage in a localized area:

Constructive interference.

The sound waves from the multiple bolts, reflecting off of buildings and other objects, all added up to one big freakin' BOOM right at that spot. As Thor is a God, he can set up the situation so that he gets as big a BOOM as he feels like.
    Ah, yes, I remember Thor working through such "coincidences" in The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul as well. That WOULD be just like him. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyrael, The Dreamer
    Roy's still pretty self-absorbed, just less so than the rest of his family. But he carrys it off well, and it doesnt stop him from being likable or a ok person.
    Hmm. I think you might be on to something there. As Haley has pointed out, Roy generally uses the party to fulfill his personal quests... including their current mission to rescue Julia, come to think of it. After all, he's the leader of the team, and the one who hired them all to help him in the first place. And yet, unlike Eugene and Julia, he manages not to be a huge jerk.

... Y'know, Roy is actually a pretty good leader, now that I think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Best Durkon moment EVER! XD Whoo, now that was mixing great power and great scientific knowledge. Go, go, Durkon!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hi there. What\'cha looking down here for? ^^ The posts are above ... And the The Tome of Illsbane ...

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

I personally liked the part where Durkon's eyes turned white when he finally opened them. Reminded me of X-men. Sweetness.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

I never noticed that, thanks CTP! Its does make it looke like Storm from X-men.
    Verminaard avatar by drKarling

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Woah! :o

Mental note:
    Don't ever mess with Durkon.... ever...

good comic ;D

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

YEAH!!! Go Durkon!!

Also I loved the little smile on V's face. I think he knew what was about to happen.... ;)
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I always wondered what a spell with a ten minute casting time would look like in OotS's Verbal Component=Name format.

This combined with boobs, an X-Men sight reference, and physics (as well as extra length) makes this an excellent comic.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

22. - Top - End - #142

Go Durkon!!

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

I think I might have woken up our neighbours laughing! ;D

Edit: I love the fact that V seems to realize what is about to happen, judging by the smile on his/her face.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

So someone finally found a way to use sonic damage. Genious, absolutely genious. Especially the white eyes thing, like Storm from X-Men.
    God shall smite the righteous!
    Beware of my incredible healing powers!!

Hope is freedom.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Halfling in the Playground

Durkon saves the day again.

Check out the grin of V's face, he knew what was comming.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxhavoc
    Control weather doesn't do THAT much damage :)

EDIT: It also can't do sonic damage. Weather cannot produce sonic effects. I'm kind of wondering how that worked.
    omg, a magical lighting doesn't have a thunder. Magical water isn't wet...

omg, the giant cares about his story contradicting the rules
    random hum :)

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haarculaneaum
    ps this is not to discount what a stupid effect &quot;sonic damage&quot; is. . . friggin WOTCers played too much Street Fighter 2, if you aks me.
    Welllll, one could take the definition of sound to a higher conclusion and say it's the level of disruption on par with shock waves that rend living things to pieces. What that'd do to the town and the people in it...

Remember, kids, it isn't 1 mile per second. Lightning is always a helluva lot closer. As I recall, it's only 1/5 of a mile per second.
    PAX DRACONIS! Rar!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

2 words to describe this comic:

HOLY CRAP!!!

I need no more to discuss the TOTAL PWNAGE this comic was. I rest my case.
    Also known as The Draconic Lord&&&&&&HAVE A NICE DAY!&&Avatar by Neo|Phyte&&

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hilarious. But I'm thinkin that Roy's sis is just a little too hung up on her boobs.
    Hototo

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Hototo
    Hilarious. But I'm thinkin that Roy's sis is just a little too hung up on her boobs.
    In case you hadn't noticed, those things can get their possessor pretty much anything she wants. Especially on the internet...but I digress. Julia's simply used to using her appearance to get what she wants, like many attractive amoral people.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack