My high school's full of Julias. :-/
    "Why do we need another cleric?"
    "Oh, for when that one explodes."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: OOTS #352 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bexie
    What kind of girl calls her boobs ta-tas anyway?
    A couple of my college classmates did, but usually only when they were making smartass comments.
    Why is abbreviation such a long word?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

[glow=red,2,300]Death to Trees[/glow]

awsome... page 15 baby
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other avatars by Vael

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Dwarven cunning

I apologize in advance if this has already been posted. I really don't have time to read fifteen (!) pages of comments, most of which are related to two other things....

I suspect Durkon (who, being my favorite character, is diametrically opposed to Belkar, my least favorite) probably had a normal or enhanced control weather on the scroll. He directed several lightning bolts to strategically strike spaced out from the grove. The sonic effects, individually not damaging, then combined as they reached the grove to be intense enough to shatter trees (and the druid's staff). If he was sufficiently advanced in control weather, he might have even figured out the necessary frequencies of the thunder to resonate in such a way as to maximize the impact on living wood.

V of course figured this out a panel earlier. Thus the sly smile and the hands already placed over the delicate elven ears.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground

[glow=blue,2,300]BOOM![/glow]
    Hahhahhahahahahaha!!!!!! ;D

Thank you so much for this comic, its so wonderful.
    Just because everyone believes it is true, doesn\'t make it so.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aye. I've always speculated about how to kill someone with a sonic boom from a jet (variable speed so that ALL of the sound reaches a specific point at the same time), but I never got around to making the equation for the speed over time. Mostly because it would involve too much geometry (and possibly some calculus) and have altitude as a third variable. But I do think it would be possible to arrange multiple sound start points so that they all intersect at one point. OTOH, I'm not sure how much of an area effect it would have.
    Hiding the little one away so he doesn't get hurt...
    Belkar is Chaotic Evil because the Giant says so. Deal with it.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felinoid
    ... OTOH, I'm not sure how much of an area effect it would have.
    I believe the area of effect would be two or three trees and a gnome.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

the good thing about magic is that you could "place" the effect or at least know where to place them when casting your spell.

Consider the Durkon great fear of trees, he probably have though of many ways to rid the trees if it was attacking him (aka Thor's lightning like he did back at bandit camp) I'm sure he heard about the sonic weakness and knows a lot about thunder and lightning (he is a priest of Thor afterall) so it wouldn't be too hard for Durkon to place the spell at the right place :)

I love it!
    Chibi rules.
    Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Halfling in the Playground

Maybe it's just because I hang out with my sister who plays a druid-zilla, but here's the first thing I thought of ...

If anyone cares to read the Call Lightning spell, it specifically states that you get tons more damage during a storm. Usually, divine casters *make* their storms using Control Weather. This could make a whole ton of damage.

Now try Chain Spelling it to get an "area of effect" of multiple trees and one druid. Then use Energy Substitution for the Sonic Effect.

Yes Durkon has a scroll in his hand, probably of just Control Weather but I'm going to go with a Chained Sonic Call Lightning (perhaps a Miracle Spell, as has been suggested) in the middle of a storm by one seriously badass dwarven cleric. And the cinematic effect? [glow=red,2,300]BOOM![/glow]
    ~Shin-no-Nekochan, Fruchan, Nekochan, Compuscouts&&\"So open up your mind / and close your eyes\" Saiyuki&&\"I believe in love surviving death into Eternity!\" Savage Garden&&\"Here I Am / This is Me\" Bryan Adams&&\"Life is a road an\' I wanna\' keep goin\',\" Anastasia&&\"I will learn to survive!\" Duran Duran

11. - Top - End - #221
    Pixie in the Playground

AWESOME.

I love the build up and the climax. The grin on Vi's face as she's laying there was a nice touch. The darkening sky in the background.

Awesome, awesome storytelling.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizumu Sakusha
    Maybe it's just because I hang out with my sister who plays a druid-zilla, but here's the first thing I thought of ...

If anyone cares to read the Call Lightning spell, it specifically states that you get tons more damage during a storm. Usually, divine casters *make* their storms using Control Weather. This could make a whole ton of damage.

Now try Chain Spelling it to get an "area of effect" of multiple trees and one druid. Then use Energy Substitution for the Sonic Effect.

Yes Durkon has a scroll in his hand, probably of just Control Weather but I'm going to go with a Chained Sonic Call Lightning (perhaps a Miracle Spell, as has been suggested) in the middle of a storm by one seriously badass dwarven cleric. And the cinematic effect? [glow=red,2,300]BOOM![/glow]
    Sounds like that's just the ticket! Kewl....

(Edit: And Rich didn't even have to think of that before he drew the strip! All he had to do was put out the effect, and someone would think of a way to do it!!!)

13. - Top - End - #223
    Firbolg in the Playground

Various comments:

The biggest issue seems to be the spell Durkon uses. My theory is it's not "Control Weather" from the SRD, but a domain-specific spell called "Weather Control." :D In any case, note that the huge lightning bolt, the sonic/lightning damage difference, and a bunch of other details can be explained away as fluff. Mechanically, I approve of the theory that Control Weather was just a set-up for a Chain Call Lightning. (And the Thunder domain seems to include Energy Substitution: Lightning/Sonic as a domain power.)

Julia's my least-favorite character too. Her epithets for Pompey are actually amusing, but her lack of respect for Roy and her general attitude ... :P

Clever of Durkon to look for a ladder as fast as possible ... trees can't climb ladders!

I really thought Durkon was in too much shock to move. I'm glad I was wrong, especially in light of a reminder about his "abandoning your post" speech. That's so cool that he was saying the spell's name over and over the whole time.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this hidden gem: "My life never ceases finding new and exciting ways to disappoint." Yep, she's Roy's sister, all right! (See #234.) Actually, I think this might have been the funniest part of all.

As far as the white eyes: those seem only natural. Magic from V=pink, Miko=blue, Leeky=brown, Xykon=dark gray, Zz'dtri=green, Durkon=white. And some magical effects are just based on eye color instead of flashes, like all of Sabine's abilities. Still, the white eyes were particularly dramatic this time for some reason ... along with the very flavorful darkening of the sky. :)

I think Giant heard some of the complaints about Durkon flopping in every major battle but one. (First down vs. LG last time, refused to fight Miko, etc.) And he decided Durkon's time of redemption had come!

Double-length strip: people are COMPLAINING? Adding more panels is GOOD, not BAD. Panel conservation is not important! Heck, more panels doesn't even drain natural resources like it would on paper!

Lightning bolt of doom over Cliffport: Sweeet.

V's smile: This really puzzled me. I really doubt this was a plan that Durkon and V put together, shouted or otherwise. But I like the theory that she made her Spellcraft check. Nice to see she has faith in what Durkon is doing with his time this battle.

Leeky's staff broken: Weird. Makes it seem almost like this battle will be all we ever see of him. Though I actually predict he'll use Wild Shape to escape the scene.

EDIT: I forgot one really cool part! Remember in Azure City, before they left to see the Oracle, Durkon was really worried about having time to buy some scrolls? And his task just didn't seem all that important at the time? Now we're sure glad he had time to go pick out some good scrolls for emergencies, aren't we?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

Registered just to give kudos for this fantastic strip. They say timing is everything, and Durkon timing the seconds to the effect just sets the whole thing up perfectly. If this was a WWE PPV I could just imagine what the crowd would be chanting. Julia's not far off. ;)

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74
    I really thought Durkon was in too much shock to move. I'm glad I was wrong, especially in light of a reminder about his "abandoning your post" speech. That's so cool that he was saying the spell's name over and over the whole time.
    I'm reminded of V's comment when the trees were first animated, and Durkon suggested running away: something about him understanding the first part of the plan. No doubt they had arranged before hand that whosever opposite they faced, that one would fall back while the other would engage in delaying actions.
    awarded blue ribbon by Ravenwind&&awarded Paying Attention to Earlier Conversations About the Same Topic Award by Kanashimi

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

I wasn't saying that the inverse-square law made this impossible; I was saying that if you overrode it by directing the sound, the boom would be much bigger, locally, than one would expect.

Yes, using physics to show that this trick couldn't work is ridiculous. But trying to come up with a way that it could work, given as little physics-tweaking as possible, is fun. The first is nerdy pedantry, the second nerdy amusement.

Also, the thought of Durkon's player frantically arguing acoustics with the DM is kind of funny in itself.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Banned

"Screw it, my god is Thor, the thunder god, if he can't make trees explode at the sound of thunder, then who can?" I think this would be considered devine intervention, as any other devine spell is.

It's not about physics, because the gods created them, and the gods can bypass them like monsters in a dungeon full of traps.

Praise Thor!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

Great comic. Who uses sonic damage anyway? ;D

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe the wall around Cliffport just happens to be elliptical, and just maybe the Park is at one of the foci.
    Riff, we can't be sure it was Bun-Bun that stole your robot! -- Torg, Sluggy Freelance, (c) Peter Abrams

20. - Top - End - #230

SwashbucklerGuy

[link]www.rich.burlew.youaremighty.com[/link]

[link]www.leeky.windstaff.justgotowned.com[/link]

Just in case he didn't read my other post with these.

That was probably either my favorite comic or one of them.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Lol.. Atanuero, these links rock.

Who da dwarf!
    Durkon!

BOOM!

Retro Kerrigan from SC1. Sorry, I don't remember which forum user made this picture for me.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Great... just great!

:D
    W00T?! I got a Cupcake!

Wooo! I'm invisible!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

*sob* My tree like bretheren..... why giant?!?
    I wish I had something to put here in this empty space....

www.ultimate-reviews.net Yeah. That's 'bout it....

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

i noticed a talk about the physics. Yeah it'd require nothing less than a god to generate a lightning bolt that could do that and any sonic force powerful enough to snap trees four miles away would destroy the city, my only response is COMIC strip. I liked when she was showing off her chest to try and get durkons attention, funny stuff. at least she's honest about showing them off lol.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

25. - Top - End - #235

SONIC!!!
    My avatars:
    http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/TheSwarm11/
    "Shepard, dosn't the Bible have some pretty strict rules about killing?" "Yes. It is however, rather fuzzy on the subject of kneecaps"
    Zoe and Shepard Book, Firefly

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

And then there were no trees.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

Every once in a while, there is a time, deserving of that one word.....

PWNDNOOB!!!

;D

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Even if physic, logic and D&D rules make me think that what Durkon just did is totally impossible without destroying the entire city, that comic was really cool. Go Durkon, you are the best!
    In memory of lord Shojo

29. - Top - End - #239

Uggh.. "This always works with my teachers" is practically a perfect description of what went on in my old school
    The hideous monster I'm kinda responsible for.
    The new thing, due to something I said:Viva el presidente Hefty Brick!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Pixie in the Playground

Good Durkon for keeping his spell concentration going with someone behind him saying boobies.

And I want to know whether V was dazed and confused right before the thunder got there or if he/she knew what was going on. He/she didn't look to happy when it hit, but I guess that is common among people taking sonic damage.
    And for seventeen gold pieces, I can sell you this awesome dragon kidney! Perfect condition, great addition for dragon zombies. Also ghouls love it.