New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: How to stop PCs from exploiting dragon corpses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Daniel View Post
    So, in a adventure I'm running, at the end, is a young dragon boss fight. The people I play with are all smart, and given enough time, I'm sure that they could harvest these super durable dragon scales and turn them into armor. How do I stop this?
    Er, why would you want to stop them from doing this?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Almost everything I'd say has been said.

Most everyone has asked why you'd try to stop this. Even in 2e D&D, where Dragon hide armor was arguably the pinnacle of defensive materials, this young dragon's scales wouldn't upset game balance. If it was a serious problem, I'd say Final Strike, or ask if they have the skills (but Gentle Repose is one of my favorite spells...).

That brings up an alternative that hasn't been mentioned: the dragon might serve better as an undead than as armor.

However, if the players feel arbitrarily limited, expect them to remove those limitations on the next dragon. Yes, the next one. Expect them right subdue it, cast regeneration, and keep skinning it over and over until they've wallpapered their cattle in dragon hide, and are using it as toilet paper. Heck, they might not be satisfied until they've turned Tiamat into a tea cozie.

But, more importantly,

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    In 2E AD&D, armor made from dragon hide weighed about 30 lbs (for human-sized suits), was flexible, had no innate magical properties from the dragon it came from, cost about 5 grand to make, and provided an AC four points worse than the dragon it came from.
    Where did that rule live?
    Last edited by Quertus; 2016-10-20 at 08:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

So, in a adventure I'm running, at the end, is a young dragon boss fight. The people I play with are all smart, and given enough time, I'm sure that they could harvest these super durable dragon scales and turn them into armor. How do I stop this?
    The simplest answer would be to include the corpse of the dragon in the calculated horde size. (E.g, chop out 5,000 gp of gems to account for a 5,000 gp suit of dragonmail.)
    Or you could just have them fight something other than dragons with harvestable hides. There are plenty of possibilities—smaller (younger) dragons, dracoliches, dragon ghosts, exotic dragons, dragons maddened by reptilian mange, anything that isn't a dragon...

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    Let the dragon kill the PC's.
    Then the dragon can make an armor out of them.
    Problem solved.
    I know someone who tried that. (Friend of a friend. Well, acquaintance of a friend, really.) He was the insane kind of CE, in case you couldn't guess. He got himself killed before making more than an elvenhide helm (which, incidentally, didn't do much to stop the mace which smashed open his skull).

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    I encourage it. (And I'll use the opportunity to link to one of my favorite villains).
    I'm not sure where he gets all of those sickening ideas. (Some of them are just silly. If dragon liver cured colds, we wouldn't have rhinoviruses, now would we? And how does he intend to harvest tears from the dragon if he's harvested its fat and blood and nose?) I swear, next thing you know he'd talk about cutting off our horns for use as aphrodasiacs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I second any opinion that is more then just 'make it go away'. arbitrarily taking away something that -should- be a reward for finishing a fight takes away a lot of the fun. if they can properly gather the materials its not going to be cheap to get dragon hide/dragon bone stuff made and it wont be QUICK, make sure they know both those things rather then just saying 'aaaaaand the corpse melts'.
    Last edited by Blue Duke; 2016-10-20 at 11:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Just go with the downtime activities section. Reduce the cost but keep the time limit.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

What weapons are your PC's using to kill the dragon? A young dragon won't have a whole lot of surface area to begin with. After being hacked, slashed, perforated with arrows, and blasted with magical energies various and sundry, there may not be enough intact scales to make anything useful.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    What weapons are your PC's using to kill the dragon? A young dragon won't have a whole lot of surface area to begin with. After being hacked, slashed, perforated with arrows, and blasted with magical energies various and sundry, there may not be enough intact scales to make anything useful.
    It's for a game called Adventurer Conqueror King (ACKS, which is a retroclone of the old D&D Basic/Expert sets), but there's a supplement coming out soon called Lairs and Encounters that spends a fair amount of space dealing with exactly these questions: how much are the body parts of various monsters worth, how long does it take to harvest them, what sort of expertise is needed to harvest them and how does combat damage affect the value.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    But, more importantly,
    <Snip summary of 2E AD&D rule on dragonhide armor>
    Where did that rule live?
    Page 63 of the Monstrous Manual, 1st Printing, under Dragon, General, 2nd Column:
    Dragon Hide: Dragon skin is prized by armorers with the skill to turn it into shields and armor, valuable because of its appearance and the protection it affords. Dragon armor grants its wearer an Armor Class of 4 less than the Armor Class of the dragon it was taken from, for a minimum Armor Class of 8. For example, armor from a juvenile brass dragon (AC 0) grants its wearer AC 4. Dragon armor is supple and non-bulky, weighing only 25 pounds.

The scales of gem dragons take on properties of actual gems; they are faceted and reflect light. They are slightly more brittle than those of other dragons, so armor made from them requires repair more often.

Dragon armor affords no extra protection, such as resistance to fire or cold, although the armor can be enchanted to provide such protection. A dragon's resistance to certain elements is based on its total makeup, not just its skin. Plain dragon armor is expensive to make, costing 1,000 - 10,000 gp, based on the workmanship and protection the armor affords. Dragon skin armor can be enchanted, just as other forms of armor can, to a maximum of +5.

Dragon shields also offer no additional protection. They are made of stretched hide over a wooden frame. Such shields weigh 3 pounds (if small) or 8 pounds (if large) and cost 20-120 or 30-180 gold pieces.
    Looks like I was off a bit on the weight. As an interesting side note, there are no rules for how often your armor needs to be repaired, so the bit about gem dragonhide armor needing more repair is kind of meaningless.

Also, 2E dragons got huge. An adult white dragon has a body 41-50 feet long with a 36-45 foot tail, and an adult red dragon had a body 80-99 feet long and a tail 68-87 feet long. A white great wyrm (oldest age category) was 95-104 feet in the body, and 85-94 feet in the tail, while a red was 174-183 feet and 162-171 feet in the body and tail respectively. And the Red Great Wyrm had an AC of -11 (equivalent to 31, I believe, in later editions), so you could get a LOT of really good armor from one. A radiant dragon could get up to 1400 feet long with an AC of -7.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2016-10-21 at 07:45 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #39

Page 63 of the Monstrous Manual, 1st Printing, under Dragon, General, 2nd Column:
    Thanks!

while a red was 174-183 feet and 162-171 feet in the body and tail respectively. And the Red Great Wyrm had an AC of -11 (equivalent to 31, I believe, in later editions), so you could get a LOT of really good armor from one.
    Get it enchanted up to +5, and we're talking 22 points of armor bonus to AC for the entire party town.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Get it enchanted up to +5, and we're talking 22 points of armor bonus to AC for the entire party town.
    And maybe you can throw in another +5 vs missiles.

Also, they are supposed to have a wingspan equal to their body length.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #41

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    In theory, you can just take away the inner fat layer with a pincer or a small knife and put the pelt into salt, leaving the rest of the elaboration to when you have the needed material or have more skins to work on. In practice, unless the PCs walk around with, I don't know, 50 kg of salt, there is no way they could carry around that stuff for various days and keep it workable, it's, like, 20-50% of the pelt weight in salt. Gentle repose or similar could do the trick, however, if they think about it. Option 2 is keeping it frozen. Option 3 is somehow simply taking the water out of the pelt (a drying spell?).

The best thing is just to make the stats of the dragonloot acceptable for the power level of your campaign. After all, it is a young dragon.
    I mean, *my* PCs carry a dragon's weight in salt everywhere, but that's because I'm running ACKS and that's just a general consequence of the system.

Thank you for the feedback. The reason that I was worried about this is that I overestimated the properties of dragonscale armor. Maybe I'll say that the scales aren't hard enough to make armor, and there isn't that much, but you can make a masterwork shield that's immune to acid (its a young black dragon) out of the hide and some of the scales. Or boots.
    Acid-proof boots all around seems reasonable to me. Make sure to throw a room full of ankle-deep acid into the next dungeon. Also, make sure to include an acid-spitting monster, and to say "yes" when the party monk asks to kick its spit back.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdkingdom View Post
    It's for a game called Adventurer Conqueror King (ACKS, which is a retroclone of the old D&D Basic/Expert sets), but there's a supplement coming out soon called Lairs and Encounters that spends a fair amount of space dealing with exactly these questions: how much are the body parts of various monsters worth, how long does it take to harvest them, what sort of expertise is needed to harvest them and how does combat damage affect the value.
    OH HEY THERE. FANCY SEEING YOU ON THESE BOARDS. #ACKS4LYFE
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    OH HEY THERE. FANCY SEEING YOU ON THESE BOARDS. #ACKS4LYFE
    Hey yourself! I've done a quick search of the Autarch boards, but it seems like no one has addressed making dragonhide armor; obviously, it's pretty easy to extrapolate using the hide as a precious component to making magical armor, but there doesn't seem to be any discussion about using the hide to create masterwork or quality armor.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Actually armor damage is not meaningless. I actually make my characters repair their armor in between adventures at a gp per AC for light and medium and 2gp per ac for heavy. If no one has actually blacksmithing or leatherworking skills they have to find a smith who can do it that charges double. Failure to do so drops the AC by a point for each fight after the adventure. If ac ever drops to zero it is destroyed. I do armored martial arts full contact, armor breaks a lot in fights and even the best armor needs new rivets and straps which cost money.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I'd just say the resulting scales counted as leather. Nothing terribly special about it, except the colour.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    Actually armor damage is not meaningless. I actually make my characters repair their armor in between adventures at a gp per AC for light and medium and 2gp per ac for heavy. If no one has actually blacksmithing or leatherworking skills they have to find a smith who can do it that charges double. Failure to do so drops the AC by a point for each fight after the adventure. If ac ever drops to zero it is destroyed. I do armored martial arts full contact, armor breaks a lot in fights and even the best armor needs new rivets and straps which cost money.
    That's what is known as a "house rule," which is not in the rulebooks. For anyone who plays without such a house rule, rules on armor repair taking longer or not as long are meaningless—and those who do houserule it can add more houserules about it themselves.
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

16. - Top - End - #46
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    That's what is known as a "house rule," which is not in the rulebooks. For anyone who plays without such a house rule, rules on armor repair taking longer or not as long are meaningless—and those who do houserule it can add more houserules about it themselves.
    Complete Fighter's Handbook did have some explicit rules about armor damage, and was contemporary to the Monstrous Manual and its talk of armor damage.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Well there is one pretty good option.

How would a powerful elven wizard react to seeing a bunch of orc adventurers walking into town wearing elf-baby armor?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, this does seem like a non-issue in terms of wealth. As for moral compunction, I'd rather not open this can of wyrms, but your PCs will essentially be killing a child. And taking its skin. Peaceful negotiations, anybody?
    Where's what's-her-name, the chick with the pigtails?
    Jirix: Tsukiko? She was here when the sewer team reported in...
    Anyone seen her since?
    Jirix: No.
    No.
    Demon Roaches: No. Nope.
    Not since I brutally murdered her ten minutes ago, no.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Complete Fighter's Handbook did have some explicit rules about armor damage, and was contemporary to the Monstrous Manual and its talk of armor damage.
    Huh. I've got that book, and I don't remember seeing rules for armor damage. Guess I'll have to give it another look. Thanks for pointing that out!

20. - Top - End - #50

Another option for solving the problem is "exploding dragons": in this setting, all dragons see their bodily remains violently disappear in a gust of their element the moment they die. The same happens if you cut away a piece of a living dragon to that piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #51
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Huh. I've got that book, and I don't remember seeing rules for armor damage. Guess I'll have to give it another look. Thanks for pointing that out!
    Page 112, according to the TOC.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Who cares if they build an acid immune shield .

How many acid spitters are going to be tossed their way during your campaign ?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Colossus in the Playground

Eat 'em.

Oh, the question isn't how dragons can stop them exploiting dragon corpses?

24. - Top - End - #54

Yeah, dragonscale armor is nice but not great on its own.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I'm gonna have to come down on the side of "What's wrong with the PCs going all Monster Hunter?"

Because honestly, it sounds kinda awesome. Well. Moral compunctions involved in killing a sapient being and skinning it aside.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I'm gonna have to come down on the side of "What's wrong with the PCs going all Monster Hunter?"

Because honestly, it sounds kinda awesome. Well. Moral compunctions involved in killing a sapient being and skinning it aside.

27. - Top - End - #57

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post

Yeah, the last time I brought up that my evil character had moral issues with all this murdering of sentient beings that the "good" party was doing, I got kicked from the group. So it's probably best to just ignore the horrible moral implications in D&D.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, the last time I brought up that my evil character had moral issues with all this murdering of sentient beings that the "good" party was doing, I got kicked from the group.
    Ah, the morals of a D&D party. I frequently end up playing neutral characters who futilely try to keep the rest of the party under control.
    Then I cut the pretense of neutrality and played a paladin. I found it a bit more satisfying to have an excuse for being the party's moral center which didn't paint the rest of the party as being deeply unheroic.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

For some reason every time I see this thread in the list view, I have to read the title twice, because I keep reading it as "How to stop PCs from exploding dragon corpses."
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    For some reason every time I see this thread in the list view, I have to read the title twice, because I keep reading it as "How to stop PCs from exploding dragon corpses."
    The solution is the same: have the dragon explode upon death.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!