New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Logan (2017 Marvel Movie)

Wow, color me surprised. I didn't even know this was being filmed. Maybe I should watch more E!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbug3zTm3Ws

The premise seems somewhat depressing, but I think that's to be expected with a Wolverine-centred story. The trailer gives me an Old Man Logan kind of vibe though it doesn't seem like they're adapting that. Just based on the trailer looks like some seriously messed up stuff is happening.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Logan (2017 Marvel Movie)

Huh.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, they're bringing in X-22, or X-23, or whoever she was. I only know the character from a couple of episodes of X:Men Evolution*, and I'm not even sure if she's cloned from Logan's DNA or just adamantiumized.

Also, I can't keep track of the various incarnations of Professor Xavier. Wasn't he subatomically disintegrated by Dark Phoenix in X3? Is he now officially back because Wolverine changed the timeline in Days of Future Past? Or is it all way beyond making sense anymore?

Not even sure if this is a postapocalyptic America, a post-mutant America, or what it's supposed to be.

Meh. Unlike the Avengers and their smoothly coordinated flock of movies, the X-Men movies have always been a spattered mishmash. We've seen, what, three different versions of Scott Summers now? Wolverine is the only constant, and that's just not enough for me to really care.

*Watched in Portuguese for the language practice.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2016-10-20 at 11:06 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Yes, X-23 is a clone of Logan. Generally also repeatedly molested by the Eeeevil scientists who make her, because comics writers seem to feel we're so stupid we need that rubbed in our faces before we believe they're evil. Or they actually like writing that stuff. I'm not sure which I find more offensive.

I gave up on X-Men movies a while ago, so I won't be seeing this one. Unless the fan reviews convince me they managed to catch the Deadpool-lightning-in-a-bottle again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Huh.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, they're bringing in X-22, or X-23, or whoever she was. I only know the character from a couple of episodes of X:Men Evolution*, and I'm not even sure if she's cloned from Logan's DNA or just adamantiumized.

Also, I can't keep track of the various incarnations of Professor Xavier. Wasn't he subatomically disintegrated by Dark Phoenix in X3? Is he now officially back because Wolverine changed the timeline in Days of Future Past? Or is it all way beyond making sense anymore?

Not even sure if this is a postapocalyptic America, a post-mutant America, or what it's supposed to be.

Meh. Unlike the Avengers and their smoothly coordinated flock of movies, the X-Men movies have always been a spattered mishmash. We've seen, what, three different versions of Scott Summers now? Wolverine is the only constant, and that's just not enough for me to really care.

*Watched in Portuguese for the language practice.
    Possibly the most accurate thing the X-Men movies have ever done, is making the timeline overly complex and nonsensical. I really can't think of anything more X-Men. Sure every long running comic book series has there problems of continuity (except maybe Dredd) but X-Men have always taken the cake.

In any case they're supposedly drawing inspiration from the Old Man Logan story which was in a post apocalyptic world that was also post mutant. It was a pretty fun little series. Bleak as hell, involving cannibalism, rape, and worse but interesting none the less.

As to the trailer I dunno I think I like it. It seems far more engaging than anything they put out for the last venture with Apocalypse.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The trailer piques my interest, but now that I think about it Wolverine's solo movies weren't all that great. The first one had Deadpool as some screwed up Frankenstein monster with stolen powers, and the second one was kinda average I guess.

One can only hope that this ends up as a swan song for Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

Dang, I really need to watch Deadpool and Apocalypse.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    The trailer piques my interest, but now that I think about it Wolverine's solo movies weren't all that great. The first one had Deadpool as some screwed up Frankenstein monster with stolen powers, and the second one was kinda average I guess.

One can only hope that this ends up as a swan song for Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

Deadpool I'd recommend, it's silly fun. Apocalypse I'd give a pass. Pretty generic mutants vs threat stuff retreading the Magneto good/evil line we've seen done as good or better in 4 other movies. It's not bad, exactly, but in an industry awash with hero flicks it just does nothing to stand out.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I agree with Diekenes. Deadpool is great, as long as you know what you're getting into, Apocalypse is... eh... watchable? I guess that's the most sincere attribute.

The trailer got me really excited. Jackman and Sir Stewart reunited, nice music overlay, just seems we won't get a charismatic villain again but whatever. But I'm sure this will be Hugh's sendoff.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I agree with Diekenes. Deadpool is great, as long as you know what you're getting into, Apocalypse is... eh... watchable? I guess that's the most sincere attribute.

The trailer got me really excited. Jackman and Sir Stewart reunited, nice music overlay, just seems we won't get a charismatic villain again but whatever. But I'm sure this will be Hugh's sendoff.
    The reboot X-Men film series has always suffered from a fanfiction approach ("What if Mystique was Professor X's adopted sister, and was after all the protagonist of the mutant story?"). But this last movie is very close to being a self-parody, so preoccupied with filling in every meaningless backstory thread ("How did Xavier become bald? Not alopecia, surely... An alien machine!"), retreading what I guess they though were successful character arcs for the protagonist trio that just feels you're watching the same thing play out on a different background, a mutant-on-mutant war instead of a political assassination.

\end{rant}
    Last edited by Clertar; 2016-10-20 at 02:47 PM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, is that the one where Hulk and She-Hulk had kids ()?
    If it is, I guess they have to make so without Mysterio, Red Skull, and Hulk>
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    You're thinking of "Old Man Logan", which was a limited series. (Initially at least, don't know if they've done more with it).

And regarding the green duo mentioned above...

Spoiler: Spoiled for squick
    Show
    It's all but outright stated that She-Hulk was not a willing participant. So even more .
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Yep, that's the one. And the trailer is clearly drawing some inspiration from the comic, but definitely not being a direct adaptation. Which is a little sad, since the Red Skull scene is great.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah. I mean the X-Men movie universe is a confusing mess and I have no idea how this is supposed to fit into anything, but two strong actors doing a piece about these characters' twilight moments - characters who they've occupied for nearly twenty years now - is potentially really worth watching and not really done in this age of superhero films.

So, it might very well be a good movie so long as it distances itself from the franchise as a whole and just distills it down to a strong character piece which they can pull off given a chance.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2016-10-20 at 08:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Damnit, I didn't want to be invested in this movie, but Johnny Cash and Patrick Stewart teamed up to sneak attack my heart. Guess I'm all in now. Hope it's good.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    You're thinking of "Old Man Logan", which was a limited series. (Initially at least, don't know if they've done more with it).

And regarding the green duo mentioned above...

Spoiler: Spoiled for squick
    Show
    It's all but outright stated that She-Hulk was not a willing participant. So even more .
    Oh, that's Mark Millar for the new comer.
    I mean Wanted has good concept that movie should follow (idea that Supervillains ruled the world from behind) but it went overboard with violence and anti-hero.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Well, speaking as an inveterate and sad Wolverine fan who very much enjoyed the last couple of Wolverine movies and is quite happy to see Wolvie cameos everywhere...

That looks absolutely fracking dreadful.

With Marvel comics making a concerted effort to screw the X-Men over, what we really needed was a movie-adaption of the single worst, crappiest run in the entire of Woloverine's run, Old Man Logan. Because that's what this looks like. Bad enough the comics screwed Proper!Wolverine over for that tenth-rate AU knock-off, now the movies are too? (And after they'd "fixed" the future timeline all neat-like with Days of Future Past, too.)

*sigh*

Even the lure of X-23 - one of my other ranking favorites - doesn't do anything.

It appeals less than Guardians of the Galaxy did (and I did eventually get that on DVD).

Be skipping this one, I think.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Well, speaking as an inveterate and sad Wolverine fan who very much enjoyed the last couple of Wolverine movies and is quite happy to see Wolvie cameos everywhere...

That looks absolutely fracking dreadful.

With Marvel comics making a concerted effort to screw the X-Men over, what we really needed was a movie-adaption of the single worst, crappiest run in the entire of Woloverine's run, Old Man Logan. Because that's what this looks like. Bad enough the comics screwed Proper!Wolverine over for that tenth-rate AU knock-off, now the movies are too? (And after they'd "fixed" the future timeline all neat-like with Days of Future Past, too.)

*sigh*

Even the lure of X-23 - one of my other ranking favorites - doesn't do anything.

It appeals less than Guardians of the Galaxy did (and I did eventually get that on DVD).

Be skipping this one, I think.
    Well, Mark Millar's work tend to be good when adapted to film.
    Then again, the writers decided to scratch every horrible aspects out of it (Wanted, Marvel Civil War, and Kick-Ass).
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Title should be "Logan (2017 Fox Movie)", really.

Hugh Jackman himself stated that after this he won't be playing Wolverine anymore. He's played the part for 17 years. That's the longest I can recall anyone playing a character.

With Marvel comics making a concerted effort to screw the X-Men over,
    What are you talking about? Marvel debuted like six new comic lines for the X-Men just this year. (Not really all about the group, two are mostly about Deadpool, and one is Old Man Logan by different writers [Jeff Lemire].)
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

18. - Top - End - #18

Persistent Internet Conspiracy Theory. Marvel is trying to destroy all comics properties held by companies other than Marvel Studios, despite the fact that not publishing them means the trademarks lapse, so anyone can use them for free.

What they really mean is that Marvel Comics isn't adding bits from the movies to the comics, which they don't need to since Fox is pretty imitative.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    What are you talking about? Marvel debuted like six new comic lines for the X-Men just this year. (Not really all about the group, two are mostly about Deadpool, and one is Old Man Logan by different writers [Jeff Lemire].)
    You mean becides them being sterilised, plagued, forced to set up a sanctuary in limbo (all of which resulting from the Inhumans to tie in better top the fact that the MCU can't use mutants and is using Inhumans), being killed and replaced by crapper versions of themselves from alternate places (not even an isolated incident), this

Spoiler
    Show

off the top of my head?

I do recall talk of them being basically kicked off into outer space as well, though at this point I am only following X-Men '92 (which is outside the regular continuity and for an alternate universe doing an amazing job of actually not sucking, not being grimmer with a liscence to kill characters off (and also Has Jubilee In It), and is also Marvel's very, very, very last chance before I give up entirely) so I don't know what happened with that.

Preportedly, it's a bit of a pet project for the head of comics bit of Marvel.

If they aren't actually doing that, they are certainly look like they're trying to encourage the image that they are so people will get annoyed about it and , I dunno, spite-buy the comics to see how bad it is? I dunno, shock-marketing seems to be the only way Marvel comics do anything these days, so I'd believe that too.

They've very CERTAINLY put this X-Men fan off the main universe completely at this point with the increasingly idioic way they've been handled in the past ten years or so.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2016-10-24 at 05:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

You mean becides them being sterilised, plagued, forced to set up a sanctuary in limbo (all of which resulting from the Inhumans to tie in better top the fact that the MCU can't use mutants and is using Inhumans), being killed and replaced by crapper versions of themselves from alternate places (not even an isolated incident), this

Spoiler
    Show

off the top of my head?

I do recall talk of them being basically kicked off into outer space as well, though at this point I am only following X-Men '92 (which is outside the regular continuity and for an alternate universe doing an amazing job of actually not sucking, not being grimmer with a liscence to kill characters off (and also Has Jubilee In It), and is also Marvel's very, very, very last chance before I give up entirely) so I don't know what happened with that.

Preportedly, it's a bit of a pet project for the head of comics bit of Marvel.

If they aren't actually doing that, they are certainly look like they're trying to encourage the image that they are so people will get annoyed about it and , I dunno, spite-buy the comics to see how bad it is? I dunno, shock-marketing seems to be the only way Marvel comics do anything these days, so I'd believe that too.

They've very CERTAINLY put this X-Men fan off the main universe completely at this point with the increasingly idioic way they've been handled in the past ten years or so.
    Well, they (Inhumans) are like Tau of Wh40k (caste systems, "slave" races, and being a new thing by companies) but i won't go on a rant about it and Tau are genuinely less evil (plus Sterilization is rumor but I think both of them may have used pheromone to make their victims into volunteers).
    And there is also Resurrection, Blue and Gold, but Rumor has it that they are to be sent to other universe.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Hugh Jackman himself stated that after this he won't be playing Wolverine anymore. He's played the part for 17 years. That's the longest I can recall anyone playing a character.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agatha...tie%27s_Poirot
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

That guy who played Q from James Bond did it for 30+ years. Longest one I know of. Though I'm sure there's someone on some long running soap opera that spawned sequels who has him beat.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-10-31 at 08:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    That guy who played Q from James Bone did it for 30+ years. Longest one I know of.
    D'oh. How could I forget about him?!

Though I'm sure there's someone on some long running soap opera that spawned sequels who has him beat.
    Quite a few of them actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

24. - Top - End - #24

We also have the returning cast of Star Wars or Indiana Jones, but that's sort of picking it up after being discontinued.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

It is quite possible that Mr. Jackman is sincere in his assertion that he is done with the Wolverine character, but the direct translation of his quote from its original actorese is "my contract is up, so somebody better back a truckload of money up to my driveway if they want me to consider another movie."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

You mean becides them being sterilised, plagued, forced to set up a sanctuary in limbo (all of which resulting from the Inhumans to tie in better top the fact that the MCU can't use mutants and is using Inhumans), being killed and replaced by crapper versions of themselves from alternate places (not even an isolated incident)
    It's not like any of that is actually new, though. The X-Men storyline has been about cycles of "all the mutants are dead wait no they aren't" for something like twenty years now, and being replaced by alternate versions of themselves is just the latest version of "they're dead for real no wait they're fine" which has been the status quo for decades. And the X-Men get kicked halfway out of the Marvel universe every few years when there's a Shi'ar storyline, so even that doesn't seem too big to me.

Like, I can buy the argument that Marvel has moved up the prominence of the Inhumans, and has reduced the prominence of the X-Men and Fantastic Four for legal reasons (and it's not the first time the FF have disbanded, either, for that matter). But none of the current round of garbage seems that unusual.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Thialfi View Post
    It is quite possible that Mr. Jackman is sincere in his assertion that he is done with the Wolverine character, but the direct translation of his quote from its original actorese is "my contract is up, so somebody better back a truckload of money up to my driveway if they want me to consider another movie."
    Actually, a good part of why he's retiring is that he's not getting any younger, and the movies are physically very demanding. By the sounds of it, he's pretty much done with action as a genre for these reasons.

It's also one of the main reasons we won't be seeing another Iron Man movie with RDJ. Dude's close to 60.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It's also one of the main reasons we won't be seeing another Iron Man movie with RDJ. Dude's close to 60.
    As close as 9 years away

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Actually, a good part of why he's retiring is that he's not getting any younger, and the movies are physically very demanding. By the sounds of it, he's pretty much done with action as a genre for these reasons.

That would be nice. Some actually says "you know what? I have enough money. Time for me to take some time to enjoy it."

Then there is the Mummy reboot. They make a really cool choice for a gender bent mummy with Sofia Boutella. Then who do they get to kick off this franchise renewal as the male lead action star? Tom Cruise. Excuse me? Are you sure he's not being cast as the mummy's father?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

After watching its trailer it seems something happened with the Wolverine like back in 2013. Can't wait till March.:(