New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Help finding a quote

A long, long time ago, on a board far, far way and gone for good, I had a quote from Gary Gygax in my sig.

It went like this "The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.
    Read more here

I would like to put it in my sig again, but I want to reference the source as well.

Any ideas?
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Help finding a quote

A great coincidence, I have a "lost" quote too! It was something like this:
    "It is marvellous to speak with a man after your own heart. To talk about fleeting subjects..." And more text. The topic was about the greatness of casual male bonding. I think it may have had something to with a Japanese man and the quote may be hundreds of years old.

3. - Top - End - #3

@Jon_Dahl My google fu worked with yours about as well as it did mine, sorry.
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

4. - Top - End - #4
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
    A long, long time ago, on a board far, far way and gone for good, I had a quote from Gary Gygax in my sig.

It went like this "The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.
    Read more here

I would like to put it in my sig again, but I want to reference the source as well.

Any ideas?
    I think the best that's been tracked down is the quote being attributed to Gygax by Allen Varney in his review of the Amber Diceless Roleplaying Game: "AMBER DICELESS ROLEPLAYING: Thoughts at Non-Random" in Dragon Magazine #182 (June 1992). I have a feeling I've read it elsewhere, more directly from Gygax, like his book Master of the Game or maybe later on the forum he used to discuss Lejendary Journeys, but I'm not certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    A great coincidence, I have a "lost" quote too! It was something like this:
    "It is marvellous to speak with a man after your own heart. To talk about fleeting subjects..." And more text. The topic was about the greatness of casual male bonding. I think it may have had something to with a Japanese man and the quote may be hundreds of years old.
    That can be found in the sig of our very own Matthew:

It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2016-10-22 at 09:01 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post

That can be found in the sig of our very own Matthew:
    Thank you so much, Roland St. Jude. I've tried finding that quote for weeks, but using the parameters that I've shown it was hopeless.

6. - Top - End - #6

@Roland St. Jude And even he says it is second hand. TY

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

While we're at it, I could use some help tracking down a quote as well:

I'm looking for something generally along the lines of "in order for a well functioning democracy, a well-informed citizenry is necessary to blah blah blah" ... not sure on the wording. I've found various phrasings of it online, but none quite exactly in the right phrasing or spirit.

Best guess is Thomas Jefferson, but really this could be any of the Founding Fathers at this point.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

It's not really related, but since you loved quotes, I'll add in three of my favorites:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." -Friedrich Nietzsche (which every Conan fan remembers)

"We are not here to curse the darkness; we are here to light a candle. As Winston Churchill said on taking office some twenty years ago: If we open a quarrel between the present and the past, we shall be in danger of losing the future. Today our concern must be with that future. For the world is changing. The old era is ending. The old ways will not do." -JFK

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do." -Confucius

/salute

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

My favorite quote is something along the lines of, "The harder I work, the more luck I have." There are lots of variations due to lots of people.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    While we're at it, I could use some help tracking down a quote as well:

I'm looking for something generally along the lines of "in order for a well functioning democracy, a well-informed citizenry is necessary to blah blah blah" ... not sure on the wording. I've found various phrasings of it online, but none quite exactly in the right phrasing or spirit.

Best guess is Thomas Jefferson, but really this could be any of the Founding Fathers at this point.
    "An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people." - does that sound about right?

Not Jefferson, but apparently so many people think so that Monticello had to address it:

This quotation seems to have originated in an article of the same title on PicktheBusiness.com.1 It is an accurate paraphrase of Jefferson's views on education, but the exact phrasing seems to belong to the author of the article, and not Jefferson. The article title appears to have been mistaken by others as a direct quotation from Jefferson's 1816 letter to Charles Yancey, which is mentioned in the article, but the exact quotation does not appear in that letter or in any other known Jefferson writings.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, I can only find "as Gygax once said", not an original source.

But here's a good one for you instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest Gary Gygax on role-playing
    “If I want to do that,” he said, “I’ll join an amateur theater group.” (see here)

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

12. - Top - End - #12

I like this part of that article "What may remain obscure, even now, is why people would choose to play D&D, all night, night after night, for years."

Of course, the group I play in has a 3 or 4 hour session Friday night, start again at Noon on Saturday and play until whenever (usually at least 9 PM), crash at the DM's house and go from 10ish Sunday Morning until about 6 usually.

We recently played through The Sunless Citadel in a weekend. Not to bad considering the youngest is 49 and the oldest (me) is 58.

:lol:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post
    play until whenever (usually at least 9 PM), crash at the DM's house and go from 10ish Sunday Morning until about 6 usually.

We recently played through The Sunless Citadel in a weekend. Not to bad considering the youngest is 49 and the oldest (me) is 58.

:lol:
    At 48 I'd be the "punk kid"!
    I'm a bit jealous, and if it wouldn't probably cost me my marriage, I'd like to join you!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!