New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Blood of the Ashlands (IC)

The first thing Errich does is retrieve his dagger, and wipe the blood off of it and his swords on the clothes of the fallen assassins. He then picks up a crossbow (a hand one if there is one) and some bolts for it. He then walks over to the targets of the ambush and introduces himself.

My name is Duke Alejandro Desafios. I hail from lands far away, and I am visiting your great cities. However, in my land..."events" like those that have just transpired are all too common. Because of that, I was raised from an early age to recognize them, given my position. I saw that this was happening, and decided to give chase, as assassins are generally not working for the best sorts of people. Based off of that, I could assume that the ones they were targeting would be of opposite character. Am I correct in that assumption?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Evodine Sildacin, Initiate of the Order of the Griffon

Evodine looks around the area and nods. "It looks like a good spot." She helps to make a small camp, then brushes out Countess. "I'll probably look around the woods a bit before it gets dark if you don't mind. I can take first watch as well."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nature check to find herbs: (d20+2)[11]
    Insight roll to see if I think I need to sleep with one eye open around Bredenbent: (d20+2)[6]

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Guhzunthite
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    " We have a timed mission here anyway. We need to get to Borden as soon as possible to not take too much rations on our way back. Beside, even if it was a error, I don't regret it. They COULD be performers on the road, what I said was only a assumption. So let's just continue our journey. Im a lizardfolk of my words so I WILL bring this cargo back to Borden as soon as possible! If anything, us lizardfolk can hide in the waggon."
    "This is so," says Lothzar. "Let's be on our way."

He then take out the medallion of her late husband, give it back to her after a moment of thinking: " Hummm... I figure I can let you have it for now, at least until we reach Borden. If we get seperated or we are killed protecting this wagon, I would hate for you to get seperated from it permanently. Count it as a show of trust. "
    "Thank you," says Esther, accepting the pendant, "I appreciate your trust, though a life is a life, and a trinket is but a trinket. If people are to die, I assure you this pendant will be the last thing on my mind."

The group continues their journey through the marsh woodlands for three hours, in suffocating humidity and swarmed by midges. The hot noon sun begins to dip on the fourth hour of travel, and the group emerges onto windswept plains with vast, golden fields of wild wheat, leaving behind the heat and insects. The trail has thus far been devoid of any life but squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional fish in nearby rivers. By the fifth hour dusk has come, and the sun, its lower half below the horizon, casts streaks of brilliant orange across the dark blue sky. In the distance, silhouetted against the sun and sky, is a watermill by some rapids. The watermill is surrounded by no more than a dozen cottages. The sound of the fast-flowing rapid waters mingles with the rustling of the wheat fields in the strong wind. The hamlet's evening lanterns are lit, small flecks of warm light dancing about the horizon.

"A place to say," says Lothzar, "for which I am thankful. This path is wilder than I am accustomed to, but it is good to see some semblance of civilization."

"I'm just glad to be out of the marshes," says the cart driver with a sigh. "Seriously, that place can go burn itself to the ground for all I care. No offense to our hosts, of course, but I've had enough midges in my mouth for a lifetime."

"Ho, ho," says Lothzar with a chuckle. "City boy."

Spoiler: Astella
    Show
    Astella and the boy, the latter still too dazed to speak or do anything coherent, find a gentle slope out of the ravine a little further down, and continue their pursuit. It is not hard to follow a trail of blood, and indeed, Astella finds the path marked by red-stained ferns and earth. She and the boy spend the next ten minutes hiking through the hilly woodlands. As they come over the crest of a rocky mound, they look down upon a small river valley. In the middle lies the body of the mercenary, motionless and blood everywhere, surrounded by three black bears. The bears look up at Astella and the boy and roar.

Spoiler: Errich & Gelećek
    Show
    The fleeing cloaked figures make their escape.

The man who dropped from the rafters searches the card player's body. He retrieves a sealed letter and a pouch of coins. He leaves on the body a playing card set. The finely-dressed man and his companion do not bother any bodies, and instead chat.

"Did you see that?" says the finely-dressed man. "Hooligans don't respect anything these days."

"Sure thing, boss," says his companion.

As for the other bodies, between Errich & Gelećek, they find five coin pouches, the amount within totaling to ten gold, forty-five silver, and seven copper. Additionally, they find three light crossbows, three daggers, five scimitars, seven sets of traveler clothes, seven sets of leather armor, two sets of thieves' tools, a crowbar, a hooded lantern, two flasks of oil, two days of rations, three waterskins, and a hundred feet of hempen rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Well that was intense, glad I got to experience it. You know. From a distance.
    "I'm glad you both made it," says the man from the rafters, approaching Errich and Gelećek, "if only so I can ask you why you followed us here from the bar, then lent us your assistance in the ensuing battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Jimmy View Post
    My name is Duke Alejandro Desafios. I hail from lands far away, and I am visiting your great cities. However, in my land..."events" like those that have just transpired are all too common. Because of that, I was raised from an early age to recognize them, given my position. I saw that this was happening, and decided to give chase, as assassins are generally not working for the best sorts of people. Based off of that, I could assume that the ones they were targeting would be of opposite character. Am I correct in that assumption?
    Spoiler: Errich
    Show
    (Deception check.) (1d20+6)[19]

Spoiler: Evodine
    Show
    The powerful wind blows through the woods, drowning out all noises but the rustling of countless trees, and flinging about Bredenbent's lantern, which is tied to a branch. The shadows cast by the lantern's flickering lights expand and diminish rapidly and violently, almost life-like, and the tents protest loudly the weather they were erected in, their flaps banging against their frames.

Evodine cannot light any of her torches in this weather, try as she might. If she wanders into the woods without a light source, she will be entirely in the dark. Nonetheless, she manages to find a patch of floral ferns near the campsite, illuminated periodically by the swinging lantern.

Spoiler: Stran
    Show
    (We'll wait on Theren's combat to end before getting to your encounter.)

Spoiler: Theren
    Show
    (Go to the Roll20. It's Theren's turn. The ruffian he just surprise attacked is marked with a blue square.)
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-11-06 at 04:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    "That depends on your view of morality," says the man from the rafters, "but, in any case, nice to meet you, Duke Desafios." He smiles sardonically, then turns to Gelećek. "And who might you be?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Gelećek

A lovely Elven woman told me the Duke had people who could translate for me. Your friend with the silk shirt and expensive bodyguard there seemed like my best bet. But apparently I was following the wrong path with another Duke in my midst the entire time.

He nods towards the Halfling respectfully, without it turning into a full bow.

As for aiding in battle, after His Grace escalated the situation I was left with little choice if I wanted to speak to you without the assistance of a necromancer.

-----
    Not sure what Errich's deception goes up against, but if it's a dice roll let me know. Gelećek's action won't change regardless of outcome.

5gp, 22sp, 4cp, light crossbow, all scimitars, 1 hooded lantern, 1 flask of oil, all rations & water (Alejandro is a Duke after all, what does he need with meager provisions) and 50ft of rope claimed. Unless Saint Jimmy wants to oppose any of my claims.

That said, if His Grace is above looting the bodies in order to maintain his cover, I'll also take anything he doesn't. Some of us live hand to mouth.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2016-11-06 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Phrasing
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

6. - Top - End - #246

Gosh darn it that cover is now frustrating me. It would look really bad if I looted the bodies... Oh well, I still take the crossbow. If anyone asks it's because obviously Alejandro is hurt and if the assassins or anyone tries to take revenge he won't have to get in range of a blade.

He also adds,

I apologize if it was unwise of me to escalate the situation. It appeared that those men were out for blood. If my choice was indeed unwise, I ask for your forgiveness.
    Last edited by Saint Jimmy; 2016-11-06 at 04:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Gelećek

Being unharmed I admit I might seem flippant, but debating the wisdom of your actions won't change them in hindsight Your Grace. So why concern yourself further?

That said, I might consider heading to a healer before anyone in your entourage.

-----
    Sounds to me like Errich/Alejandro is giving up everything except the crossbow and bolts. In which case Gelećek takes anything that's not nailed down, and a chip from the damaged crate he hit with his second spell - he then ties it to his Wand as a reminder of his poor foresight.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2016-11-06 at 05:25 PM. Reason: OOC wording
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Astella

She has absolutely no desire to fight a group of bears over the man's corpse, so simply shrugs and turns to the boy. "We should make our way back to where we let your father, and should he still remain there what is it you want to do with him?" The man had tried to sell his own son into slavery, it was fitting the boy would have the right to choose his fate if it was still possible.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Gelećek

-----
    Insight vs. Errich/Alejandro's Deception (19): (d20+3)[13]

Edit: Fail. Gelećek believes Alejandro is a Duke and is a little bit worried about being imprisoned at some point for offending him.

Even though offending him was obviously pre-destined. As all things are. That still doesn't make the idea of prison any more palatable.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2016-11-07 at 12:53 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250

Feeling a little guilty for how he obviously worried the man, yet finding it humorous, Errich laughs and says

Yes, that would be a good course of action. Thank you for that advice.

He then turns to the finely dressed man and his bodyguard and says

If it is not too much I ask why those assassins were pursuing you?

If they are offended he apologizes, saying that he does not know the customs of the land here very well.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Thank you," says Esther, accepting the pendant, "I appreciate your trust, though a life is a life, and a trinket is but a trinket. If people are to die, I assure you this pendant will be the last thing on my mind."
    " Be honest miss Esther: Are you considering my life as much as the one of your comrades? It might be presomptious of me to say so but I find it hard to believe you would shed a tear if I died protecting your convoy. Hence why you should hang on the pendant for now. If you cant give it to me back at Borden because something happened, I hope you'll remember me, somehow."

He is smiling, seem nonchalant about it.

" Humm, we are having at a small campement... Humm, what is this camp name again? Lothzar, tell me, what do you think, should we stop here or sleep in teh wild again? "

Spoiler: rolls (?)
    Show
    I'll ask him then, since its "in-game information

Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2016-11-06 at 07:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Evodine thanks Bredenbent for the company of the day, offers to make him an herbal tea to sleep better, and offers to take first watch.

Spoiler: Options
    Show
    If her watch passes uneventfully, she will then go to sleep, one hand on a dagger, and the other hidden under the blanket with her.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    A lovely Elven woman told me the Duke had people who could translate for me. Your friend with the silk shirt and expensive bodyguard there seemed like my best bet. But apparently I was following the wrong path with another Duke in my midst the entire time.

He nods towards the Halfling respectfully, without it turning into a full bow.

As for aiding in battle, after His Grace escalated the situation I was left with little choice if I wanted to speak to you without the assistance of a necromancer.
    The man from the rafters raises an eyebrow. "That's some dedication to finding a translator. I observe as well that you haven't answered my second question."

I apologize if it was unwise of me to escalate the situation. It appeared that those men were out for blood. If my choice was indeed unwise, I ask for your forgiveness.
    "Many people were out for blood tonight. You attacked the right ones."

Being unharmed I admit I might seem flippant, but debating the wisdom of your actions won't change them in hindsight Your Grace. So why concern yourself further?

That said, I might consider heading to a healer before anyone in your entourage.
    "I echo the mage's concern."

If it is not too much I ask why those assassins were pursuing you?
    Before the finely-dressed man can respond, the man from the rafters says, "It's none of your business, civilian."

"Politics, corruption, and the sort," says the finely-dressed man, "but, as correctly stated, it's none of your business."

The man from the rafters looks between Errich and Gelećek appraisingly. "For the moment, perhaps it's best you accompanied us back to the bar. I insist."

(If either one of you do not accompany the man back to the bar, which is fine, none of the below happens.)

It turns to night in the streets of the trade district as the group heads back to The Barley and the Brew. Common folk and traders mill around the late night establishments, such as taverns and inns, while others cart goods away from the market stalls, having finished their deals for the day. The group elicits a stare or two from others passing close enough by to notice their wounds and bloodied weapons.

They reenter the well-to-do neighborhood, its streets essentially empty at this time of day, besides the periodic guard patrols. One such patrol, consisting of four guards, stops the group. One of the guards asks, "You boys look like there's been a fight."

"Army business," says the man from the rafters, drawing a document from his coat. The document appears to identify the man as a colonel in the Royal Army, and has a stylized seal at the bottom.

Show
    (History check.)

Spoiler: Gelećek
    Show
    (History check.)

The guard nods and says, "Of course, sir. Sorry, sir. Have a good night." The patrol leaves.

The group sees The Barley and the Brew, a comfortable building in a quiet street. An iron lamp outside illuminates its front doors and sign. The man from the rafters opens the doors.

From outside, Errich and Gelećek can see that the main room is now empty of its company from earlier that day, besides the bartender, leaning forward on the bar expectantly, and the half-elf from before, standing in the middle of the room with his maul and studded leather armor. There are also two new faces, a human man and a gnome woman, the former in splint mail and carrying a longsword, the latter wearing a chain shirt and carrying a mace.

"Come on in," says the man from the rafters. "Don't worry, we don't bite."

Show
    The bears, satisfied that the newcomers are not going to steal their meal, begin eating the mercenary. They start by trying to bite through his leather armor, but not before they crush his head again for good measure.

"Uh," says the boy, recovering his wits, "I don't want to watch this, let's go."

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    "We should make our way back to where we let your father, and should he still remain there what is it you want to do with him?" The man had tried to sell his own son into slavery, it was fitting the boy would have the right to choose his fate if it was still possible.
    "Let him run off and do whatever," says the boy with a snort, "he's not dangerous, especially since I'm his only son. That is, I'd be surprised if he was still there."

Hiking back through the hilly woodlands, taking care to avoid sharp brushes and deep ravines, Astella and the boy return to the trail. A minute of walking brings them back to where the earlier fight was. The manic man is gone, but can probably be tracked. (Survival check.)

"What now, magic lady?" says the boy. "I'm a totally defenseless, adorable boy stuck out in the middle of nowhere, with no food or anything." He grins.

Show
    " Be honest miss Esther: Are you considering my life as much as the one of your comrades? It might be presomptious of me to say so but I find it hard to believe you would shed a tear if I died protecting your convoy. Hence why you should hang on the pendant for now. If you cant give it to me back at Borden because something happened, I hope you'll remember me, somehow."
    Esther laughs. "I don't shed tears much nowadays, but I have respect for anyone willing to defend our meager cart. We haven't much to offer in the way of a reward, so those who help us do so out of their own good will. Or I should hope."

" Humm, we are having at a small campement... Humm, what is this camp name again? Lothzar, tell me, what do you think, should we stop here or sleep in teh wild again? "
    "Warm food is preferable," says Lothzar, "I say we stop here. The alternative is to camp on the trail, in plain sight, or to camp in the fields, which seems very uncomfortable. Look how high the wheat grows!"

Show
    "I'll take your offer of first watch," says Bredenbent, "but as for tea, I'm not sure how you intend to make it."

Bredenbent utters a goodnight and returns to his tent to sleep.

The wind batters the flaps of Evodine's tent and the lantern clangs against the tree it is tied to. The night only grows darker. (Perception check with disadvantage.)
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-11-06 at 09:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Astella

Wasn't too sure about adorable, but yes, he did seem pretty defenseless. "I'm making my way to Borden. You're welcome to tag along if you'd like, you might find an opportunity to make a life there," She says. "I need to hurry and try and perform my business there, but that in and of itself may be dangerous. Not as dangerous as bleeding out on the side of the road, but if you don't want to come I can understand." With that she starts on her way again. "We'll have to move swiftly to make up the lost time," She adds, not glancing back to see if he follows. If he does she'll know soon enough, if he doesn't, well hopefully he'll find a way to fend for himself.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

" At least Im able to make you laugh. I'll take it! "

He nods to his fellow suggestion: " Very well but I doubt they can afford a inn, Lothzar, much less a warm meal. Me, I suggest we keep going for a few hours still. Once this camp is out of reach, we could camp in the wilderness again. The problem we have is one of ressources. "

He turn to Esther: " In the end, dear Esther, I will let you take the decision. "

Their group already cheated out one inn... he wondered if those humans would have the guts to do so again. In any case, he wouldnt and would sleep in the barn with their horses. It was a common practice for those who cannot pay, he was sure he could be accomodate for a copper or two via the stable boy.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

In Elvish: [Theren last of the Dragons Blood Tree tribe, has seen enough! I will not cower while these Men force Elves!] In common [You Men who force Elves will die if you don't kill this Elf, who has seen enough!]

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Gelećek

Perhaps, but walking up to Lord Faust's front door and asking to borrow a codebeaker was at least as unlikely to work. At least this might have been an opening.

Two attackers having gotten away alive, Gelećek didn't fancy being on the streets. Likewise he really did still need a codebreaker and really did doubt that going to a government official and begging would work, so he graciously follows instruction and goes with them. If they wanted him dead after all he'd be dead already; they know he can't aim worth a damn and he's looting the still warm assailants for bloodstained trade goods, the wizard is no threat.

Once back at The Barley & The Brew, Gelećek takes a very hard look at the ceiling for any other surprise arrivals. He responds to the Colonel as he crosses the threshold.

With respect, I've seen you in action and you definitely do bite.

-----
    Religion: Checking the deceased card player for a Holy Symbol of some sort when I take his deck of cards, curious who cast the spell on him: (d20+5)[21] (if this is the wrong check, please amend with the correct modifier)

History: (d20+5)[11]

18. - Top - End - #258

Errich is following along for now, but is ready to react in case of danger.

history
    (d20+1)[19]
    EDIT: it's actually +0, so the number is an 18.
    Last edited by Saint Jimmy; 2016-11-07 at 08:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    With disadvantage: (d20+2)[5] or (d20+2)[7]

Cue Sgt. Schultz voice: "I see nuzzink.....NUZZINK!!!!
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2016-11-07 at 12:32 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DJCamWozzle View Post
    "You cooperate, you live. Tell me everything you know about the cargo aboard the Red Jailer and why it's so important to Thorn Trickstone."
    The sailor looks to the open door and licks his lips. (Initiative roll (1d20+3)[20] and join the Roll20.)

Show
    "I'm making my way to Borden. You're welcome to tag along if you'd like, you might find an opportunity to make a life there," She says. "I need to hurry and try and perform my business there, but that in and of itself may be dangerous. Not as dangerous as bleeding out on the side of the road, but if you don't want to come I can understand." With that she starts on her way again. "We'll have to move swiftly to make up the lost time,"
    "Ha, ha," says the boy, "stick around here, bear territory? No thanks." He follows after Astella.

The next six hours pass quietly, the silence only broken by the two's footsteps on the dirt trail, the chirping of birds and crickets, and the occasional breeze. Noon turn to dusk and the sky begins to cloud. (Survival check.) The woods grow denser, dimming further the evening light.

"You got a lantern, lady?" says the boy with a nervous laugh. He glances up at the canopy of a grand oak, its leaves and branches blocking the sky. "So, what's your business in the city, Miss? I've been there when I was real little. Don't remember much." (Insight check.)

The two come upon a grassy clearing adjacent a vast lake, whose far banks lie at the foot of a distant snow-capped mountain. The lake's waters are still and clear. At the near banks are two tents, a lit campfire, a carriage, and a draft horse tied to a tree. Four humans mill about the site. Two wear splint mail, one with a longsword strapped to her back, the other with a heavy crossbow leaning against a fallen log and a shortsword hanging from his side. The other two humans are well-dressed, one in a colorful jacket and skirt with a dagger at her side, the other in a rich fur coat with a cloth-wrapped rapier behind him in the carriage.

The two armored figures see Astella and the boy arrive and calmly reach for their weapons. They do not draw but merely watch.

The lake waters ripple gently as a school of fish momentarily break the surface.

Show
    He nods to his fellow suggestion: " Very well but I doubt they can afford a inn, Lothzar, much less a warm meal. Me, I suggest we keep going for a few hours still. Once this camp is out of reach, we could camp in the wilderness again. The problem we have is one of ressources. "
    "A place such as this probably has no inn," says Lothzar, "and we'd be relying on the kindness of strangers."

" In the end, dear Esther, I will let you take the decision. "
    "Pushing onward would be exhausting," says Esther, "though perhaps we should risk it anyways, so as not to burden the locals. Beloved brother, what do you think?"

Her brother, who was silent for most of the trip, merely snorts.

"Helpful as usual," says the cart driver. "For my part, I say we stay. I'm tired, and our most hardworking companion is tired." He pats the horse and the horse whinnies softly.

So the decision is made and the group decides to stay in the hamlet. They approach the small cluster of cottages surrounding the watermill, the sound of rushing water filling the air, and see that children are playing on the banks of the rapids. Men and women are completing various chores in the fields and beyond, returning with bushels of wheat in their hands, dead animals slung over their shoulders, or carrying baskets of freshly-washed linens.

Esther approaches a passing woman and says, "Good evening, we're travelers seeking a place to rest. I suppose you have no inns, so is there anywhere we could camp?"

The woman chuckles and says, "Love, you can camp anywhere you want. If you're set on camping, I'd say the fields by the mill are a good spot. Or you could join some of our houses for dinner. We get some interesting sorts of travelers around these parts, and we're not wanting for anything, so we're always happy to help out."

"Really?" says the driver suddenly. "The travelers, I mean. What kinds do you get?"

"Oh. Well, you know how ages ago, or so the stories say, the Empire conquered these lands?"

"Yes. Well, I'd heard about it, but I'm no scholar."

"One of their temples, or what's left of it, is just past the fields, down a rocky trail in the woods. Maybe two hours away." (History check.)

"Human," says Lothzar, "what is the name of this village?"

"Well, we don't really have one; to us, this is just home. But the river is the River of Giants, the very same water that flows from the mountains of Tullinstadt."

"Goodness!" says Esther. "How far away is that?"

"Oh, I don't know, Miss. Haven't ever really been much further than Borden."

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    In Elvish: [Theren last of the Dragons Blood Tree tribe, has seen enough! I will not cower while these Men force Elves!] In common [You Men who force Elves will die if you don't kill this Elf, who has seen enough!]
    Commotion splits the crowd as people begin to respond to Theren's attack. Men, women, and children flee the scene as quickly as possible, some ducking into nearby buildings. The basket-carrying elf woman makes a noise of fright, drops her belongings, and dashes down the alley, out of sight. The streets are now mostly empty, besides the two humans, Theren, and a remaining young elf man, who shouts, "Down to our oppressors!" He grabs a heavy rock on the ground and charges at the nearest human. He swings with the rock and misses.

"Freaking elves!" says one of the humans. "Know your place!" He draws a scimitar and attacks the young elf. The young elf nimbly steps aside.

The other human, the one shot by Theren, spits blood, draws a light crossbow, and lets loose a bolt. The bolt hits Theren. (Take (1d8+1)[2] piercing damage.) He ducks around the alley corner. (This is half cover.)

(It is now Theren's turn.)

Spoiler: Gelećek & Errich
    Show
    Show
    The card player was not carrying any obvious holy symbols. No amulets, emblems, or reliquaries.

Gelećek is certain the seal on the document shown to the city patrol is the insignia of some branch of the Royal Army. He is not sure which.

Show
    Errich recognizes the seal on the document shown to the city patrol as the official insignia of the Royal Army's Civil Guard Corps. The Civil Guards are usually tasked with duties such as peacekeeping, government officials' security, and counter-smuggling operations.

Gelećek and Errich walk into the bar, and the man from the rafters closes the door behind them. He says to the half-elf, "I'm going to talk to our contact." He glares at the well-dressed man. "Among other things, about not leaving places of safety and heading into obvious ambushes."

"Well," says the well-dressed man, "it's not like I knew you had someone watching me." He nods at the half-elf.

"We didn't know it was you. It became obvious quickly enough, however. Come, we have much to discuss upstairs." The man from the rafters and the well-dressed man ascend the staircase in the back. The latter's companion stays in the main room, grabbing a table and setting down his bloody greataxe. Sinda groans as she sees blood stain the table.

When their footsteps fade, the half-elf says to Gelećek, "So, I learned that Jimajuramentum is not a real gnomish name."

"Not even close," says the gnome woman, grinning at Gelećek. "I take it you're the one who convinced him of this? I guess I should applaud your deception. He's usually pretty sharp, but clearly gnomish culture isn't his forte."

In a few minutes, the man from the rafters descends the stairs, followed by the well-dressed man. The man from the rafters looks at Gelećek and Errich sharply and says, "Now, I'd like to know who the two of you really are. You, wizard, have not yet told me your name. And you—" he turns to Errich "—are no duke." He pauses a moment, then addresses both Gelećek and Errich. "Since you both helped us in our little skirmish, I will let you walk out of the room right now. You needn't identify yourselves if you don't wish to. However, if there is something either of you would ask of us, then you will tell the truth. Then, as a matter of fairness, so will we.

"If you stay, I need your names and an explicit answer to two questions: What are your current intentions? Who do you work for?"

The gnome woman leans her mace against a chair, raises her right hand, and says, "Zone of truth." A soft white glow with no apparent source fills the room. "Leave if you wish, but do not lie."

Show
    (Charisma save.) (1d20+2)[7]

Show
    (Charisma save.) (1d20+2)[13]

Show
    The wind grows even stronger. Leaves blow past Evodine's face.

In the flitting shadows there is fast movement. A large wolf materializes from the dark beyond the lantern's light, charging at Evodine, its form a blur. The wolf pounces, but Evodine dodges just in time. The wolf snarls.

Then another wolf appears, encircling the tents from a distance.

(Join the Roll20. Initiative roll.) (1d20+3)[4]
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-11-08 at 09:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    The sailor turns to dash out the door, but Stran is faster.

(It's Stran's turn.)

Show
    Show
    Gelećek cannot utter a lie.

Show
    Though it is a struggle, Errich feels that he can overcome whatever mystical compulsion was cast upon him. He can still lie.

Show
    Bredenbent appears to be fast asleep. The wolf near Evodine bites her and tries to force her to the ground. (Damage: (2d4+2)[6]. Strength save: (1d20)[16])
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-11-08 at 09:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Evodine pushes the wolf off her and remains standing.

The other wolf dashes to the sleeping Bredenbent and pounces. It bites Bredenbent in the arm and blood spills on the tent flaps. Bredenbent wakes with a surprised yelp.

(It's now Evodine's turn.)
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-11-08 at 09:21 PM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Theren
    AC: 15, HP: 9, Perception: 15

shoulders his bow, draws his rapier, and dashes to the aide of the young elf facing the scimater wielding human

24. - Top - End - #264

Erich sets his shoulders, narrows his eyes, glares at th man, and utters through clenched teeth, slowly getting louder,
    "
    I have already told you the truth. My name is Duke Alejandro Desafios, and I come from the Ostmark Principality. My family had many political rivals, and I grew up always paranoid, watching for plots, as I have already explained to you. However, a few years ago, one of those rivals hired assassins to kill my family, and I was the only one to survive. That is the most likely reason you have not heard of me, and the Dutchy was very, very small to begin with."

He stands there, shaking in (false) rage, as his voice drops to a steely calm, cold as ice.

"after I escaped I wandered for several years. Most who I encountered were of the same mindset of you, disbelieving me because I had no living relatives or any land to call my own. Finally I came here, to Borden, and Schensal Herzfeld took pity on me for my plight, and I am now a guest of his court. I ask that before you continue harassing me you speak with him first.

Errich continues standing there, eyes shooting daggers directly at the man's eyes.
    Spoiler: Rolls and OOC
    Show

Please please please please let me have advantage EDIT I'm saying this in the truth circle so that could do it as They would think I can't lie in it END EDIT for this becuase of the rant... I don't wanna fail this check...

Deception
    (d20+6)[9]
    Dis/advantage
    (d20+6)[22]
    Last edited by Saint Jimmy; 2016-11-08 at 10:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Achoo turn to Esther: " You seem interested Miss Esther. Do you know the place? "

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Failed a Survival check to know the weather in the coming days and probably failed the history check for that temple (got a 8 total for both)... BUT I got a nice 15 on Knowledge nature to KNOW where the temple is and how to get there and its surrounding.
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2016-11-08 at 09:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nettle3305 View Post
    "Ha, ha," says the boy, "stick around here, bear territory? No thanks." He follows after Astella.
    "Feel free to tag along then," She says beginning to lead the way.

The next six hours pass quietly, the silence only broken by the two's footsteps on the dirt trail, the chirping of birds and crickets, and the occasional breeze. Noon turn to dusk and the sky begins to cloud. (Survival check.) The woods grow denser, dimming further the evening light.

"You got a lantern, lady?" says the boy with a nervous laugh. He glances up at the canopy of a grand oak, its leaves and branches blocking the sky. "So, what's your business in the city, Miss? I've been there when I was real little. Don't remember much." (Insight check.)
    "My business is my own. You can ask, but I won't tell you, and you're better off not knowing, it might be dangerous for you to get involved," She lies.

The two come upon a grassy clearing adjacent a vast lake, whose far banks lie at the foot of a distant snow-capped mountain. The lake's waters are still and clear. At the near banks are two tents, a lit campfire, a carriage, and a draft horse tied to a tree. Four humans mill about the site. Two wear splint mail, one with a longsword strapped to her back, the other with a heavy crossbow leaning against a fallen log and a shortsword hanging from his side. The other two humans are well-dressed, one in a colorful jacket and skirt with a dagger at her side, the other in a rich fur coat with a cloth-wrapped rapier behind him in the carriage.

The two armored figures see Astella and the boy arrive and calmly reach for their weapons. They do not draw but merely watch.

The lake waters ripple gently as a school of fish momentarily break the surface.
    Astella nods her head at the men. Still she does not approach the campsite directly merely moving to pass it by, no need to give them extra cause to be wary. She would call out to them, however, from where she was, "Hail travelers, know how much further to Borden it is from here?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Survival (1d20+2)[4]
    Insight (1d20)[1]
    Deception to lie to the boy (1d20+3)[19]
    Insight on the travelers (1d20)[8]

Current Projects:

27. - Top - End - #267

Stran circles around the desk, moving in front of the sailor. He pivots quickly, giving him the momentum to swing true with his axe, trying to knock the sailor out cold. "Sorry pal, no time to waste!"

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Stran circles around 10 feet and strikes at the man again, rolling Attack for (1d20+3)[23] and Damage for (1d10+1)[2].
    I walk away from the corpse...eyelids fluttering in the wind.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Gelećek

They say that lies are a burden on the soul, and that truth is the only way to relieve it.

They have obviously never been subject to a Zone of Truth spell. Gelećek felt the cold pressure rising up his back, and gently press on his mind building impassable walls within to places he could no longer verbalise. His answers are short and to the point, no flim-flamming or particular openings for follow up questions. He did not enjoy being on the other side of people's spells, but he really did want to know what the letter said so elected to remain.

"My name is Gelećek Tomm, born son of Votland and Matzden. I was not hiding it, indeed Sinda already knew me as Gell. My intentions are to find someone who can decode the remainder of this letter. I work for nobody, and for anybody who will pay for my services as a mage.

He considers turning to Alejandro and asking for a job, but decides addressing the Duke directly is probably a bad idea given his temperament.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2016-11-09 at 04:03 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Evodine is taken completely by surprise when the wolves appear, and the first attack against her hurts...a lot. She had been hit in training a lot, but never by someone trying to kill her. Images of her family flashed through her head as she comes to the realization she may never see any of them again if she can't overcome this...

She works through the pain of the bite, pulling out her short swords. She makes two slashes toward the wolf.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    First attack: (d20+5)[20] for (d6+3)[7]

Okay, so I've never done it before, but I understand that if you take the attack action, you can use your bonus action to attack, but from I understand you don't get your ability modifier to the damage...is that the way it works?

Offhand attack: (d20+5)[6] for (d6)[3]

On the off-chance I get a crit: (d6)[4]

Also, I'm at 2 hp...

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Theren attacks one of the humans with his rapier.

Attack roll: (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage roll: (1d8+3)[7]
    Crit damage roll: (1d8)[1]

Show
    "My name is Gelećek Tomm, born son of Votland and Matzden. I was not hiding it, indeed Sinda already knew me as Gell. My intentions are to find someone who can decode the remainder of this letter. I work for nobody, and for anybody who will pay for my services as a mage.
    "Aha," says the half-elf, "I believe this to be the letter I translated earlier. It would interest you, Commander."

"Then I should read it," says the man from the rafters, "with Mister Tomm's permission, of course. I believe he's been truthful, so we've no further need to harass him."

"I have already told you the truth. My name is Duke Alejandro Desafios, and I come from the Ostmark Principality. My family had many political rivals, and I grew up always paranoid, watching for plots, as I have already explained to you. However, a few years ago, one of those rivals hired assassins to kill my family, and I was the only one to survive. That is the most likely reason you have not heard of me, and the Dutchy was very, very small to begin with."

He stands there, shaking in (false) rage, as his voice drops to a steely calm, cold as ice.

"after I escaped I wandered for several years. Most who I encountered were of the same mindset of you, disbelieving me because I had no living relatives or any land to call my own. Finally I came here, to Borden, and Schensal Herzfeld took pity on me for my plight, and I am now a guest of his court. I ask that before you continue harassing me you speak with him first.
    "The Duke's Seneschal?" says the man from the rafters, his brows furrowing. "Curious. Very well, I think you speak the truth, so hold your peace." The gnome dismisses her spell and the glowing aura permeating the room disappears. The man continues, addressing both Gelećek & Errich. "We know who you are, and now you shall know who we are. I am Commander Hektor Allbach of the Order of the Griffon. My half-elf friend is Knight Peren Wolfsbane. Our cleric is Initiate Tulla Nessik. Our warrior in splint is Initiate Robban Breinholst. The fashionable fellow is Baron Olivier de Martens. The good Baron is not one of the Order. Neither is the bartender, Sinda, though she has seen military service in the past, and now we appeal to her patriotism for her help."

"That's me," says Sinda with a wry smile, "a patriot."

Allbach dismisses her with a wave. "With introductions out of the way, let me clarify our intentions. The Order is not a spy office, however we might act. We are a knighthood order dedicated to protecting the throne, and our pride is our Queen's Guard. Unfortunately, it is the nature of affairs of the realm that the Queen needs more than just loyal blades at her side. Brute force alone cannot protect the Queen from poison or betrayal. Nor can it maintain the stability of the realm, which is very much an entity of culture and trade. The Order's role has expanded, by necessity, beyond mere knight duties.

"As for our presence in Borden, we are currently juggling several important tasks, but our numbers are lacking. Which is my offer to you two." Allbach leans on a table. "One of our informants is missing, Lady Eline Breton. Brown hair, green eyes. Rather short, at five feet. Charming enough to have a long list of suitors—and kidnappers, I'm sure. She's been missing for a month. No leads."

Wolfsbane steps forward and says, "This is where you come in. In a week, Baron Sven Wegener will be holding a celebration in his mansion. Every important figure in the duchy has been invited, and we expect most to show. This is a gathering of hundreds of well-connected individuals."

"However," says Allbach, "there's a chance that Lady Eline's already dead, or no one at Wegener's party will know anything. But the matter is still worthy of investigation. We'd like you two to go in our stead, keeping a degree of separation between the Order and potential adversaries." He turns to Gelećek. "The greatest code experts on the continent reside in our headquarters. If we can't decrypt your letter, it's unlikely there are others who can." Then he turns to Errich. "We have friends among Ostmark's nobles. We could restore your house and family, both in name and in the eyes of your peers." He then addresses both Gelećek and Errich. "We will also pay a standard sum. Three-hundred gold each. Fifty up front, no strings attached. Two-hundred and fifty for going to the Baron's party and finding something of use."

Show
    Achoo turn to Esther: " You seem interested Miss Esther. Do you know the place? "
    "No," says Esther, giving the lizardfolk an odd look, "I've never heard of it."

The driver says to the local woman, "Thank you for your time. I think I'll ask around." He rides the horse and cart off to the fields near the watermill.

"Curious," says Lothzar, "but I am currently too busy to go ruins diving. I shall search for a place to stay." He heads off to the center of the hamlet.

The other humans in the traveling group disperse among the locals. Esther thanks the woman again and follows after the cart.

Show
    Astella nods her head at the men. Still she does not approach the campsite directly merely moving to pass it by, no need to give them extra cause to be wary. She would call out to them, however, from where she was, "Hail travelers, know how much further to Borden it is from here?"
    Neither of the armored figures answer, however, the woman in the colorful jacket stands from the log she is sitting on and takes a few steps towards Astella and the boy. She says, "Two days at our pace. We travel fast to make good time, but not so much as to to exhaust ourselves." She pauses a moment, then continues. "I don't suppose you two come from Argenweld? I am Mirella and this is my brother Erwin. Our father, Baron Vitalis Breton, is Lord of the Argenweld Barony and its surrounding regions."

Show
    Stran hits, but it is a glancing blow to the sailor's head. The sailor, face bloodied, cries in alarm and tries to run.

Stran gets an opportunity attack.

Show
    Evodine draws blood on her first strike, but misses with the second. The wolf now bears a large, bloody gash on its side.

Bredenbent curses, stands, draws his shortsword, and jabs twice at the wolf which attacked him. He strikes with his second attack, cutting deep into the wolf's flesh.

The wolf next to Evodine closes for a bite. Evodine dodges the attack.

The wolf next to Bredenbent pounces on him, jaws firmly clamped around his shoulder, knocking him prone.

It's Evodine's turn.