New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Evo Academy IC

1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Evo Academy IC

Malcom - Training Gym

"For now, let's just keep pushing your TK talents. I may be biased, but I'm certainly a fan of my skills. See if you can catch and throw at the same time." Of the remaining tennis balls, Ms. Irwing tosses another one towards Malcolm, in a more friendly arc.

Leon - Library

Ms. Amori smiles a half smile, before starting to stack several books as she speaks. "He was an excellent author, with a fun sense of self-referential humor. As for the active team, the students do love to spread their stories. There are often eggs of truth in such stories though. If you're interesting in the active team, go for it. It is not for everyone, but for those that engage, it can be very rewarding. I won't like, there are risks involved in being a member of the team, which is why we don't let just anyone join, but we do take steps to minimize those risks. It's part of the reason we have a team, not solo missions. Many students enjoy the chance to push their powers in the field, and it feels good to do measurable good."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm certainly puts more effort into throwing than catching, still not a fan of being pelted and wanting to get a little back. "This is the one power that gives me trouble, I can only move one thing at a time and sometimes I...miss, somehow, trying to pick something up. I don't know how else to describe it."
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I was asking about Akemi, Ms.Amori." he says with an apologetic voice.

"As about the active team, yes, I think I am ready to do some good. And it's good to be a part of something, to feel it inside your bones and soul." Again he stops embarrassed at his out burst.

"I am sure I will love Terry Pratchet. I remember something about a game where death was dead or something. Very funny."
    I suggest a new strategy, R2. Let the Wookiee win.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Malcom - Training Gym

"You mind is like a muscle. It's not actually one, but it behaves similarly. You have to train it, focus it, in order to use it. The fact that you can't turn off your powers, that tells me you don't have much focus, much control. When I first started, I couldn't lift very much at all. Got nose bleeds. It wasn't much fun. I started off playing with leaves in the wind. In time, I got better, with weights, and control. Picking up a heavy object sitting on the ground is one thing. Raw lift, that's a challenge, but it's not too hard. But a moving object, that's tricker.

You have something, it's called proprioception. Your brain is always aware of where your body is. If I told you to close your eyes and touch your nose, or fingertips together, you could probably even do it with your wings, given how long you've had them. Given your mutable nature, I suspect your sense of proprioception may be stronger than most. Or weaker, depending. Regardless, you know where your body is. Your eyes can watch a ball fly through the air, your brain can track that motion, and move your body into position to catch it. But with TK, we don't have proprioception to help us. We have to track things with our minds, AND we have to focus energy with our brains to catch it without the evolutionary advantage. Motion, it's tough. I can catch an arrow in flight, from a good range, if I see it coming. But bullets, forget it. Better to duck and cover.

If you're having trouble catching things, getting a solid grasp on something, that's very frustrating, but it's understandable. You need to overcome the lack of proprioception. And the lack of an actual, tangible hand, doing the grabbing. It may sound silly, but I found it helps to squint my eyes a little. I feel a little pinch, in my forehead. Helps me to focus, when I'm having an off day. Give it a try, see if it helps."
    She brings another ball up, holding it just inches above her hand, and makes a pitching motion, like a baseball player on the mound. It's easier to see, easier to comprehend, when a person looks like they are throwing a ball, then when one is coming from the empty air.

Leon - Library

Ms. Amori smiles a half smile, before starting to stack several books as she speaks. "Ah, yes, Akemi. She is doing well, recovering after her last episode. Being able to think as quickly has does, as you do, as side effects. Pure speed, you read books fast. But her mind, it does more than just that. Many minds that make the kind of connections have to give up something in exchange, often social skills. Akemi is a rare gift, but even her gift doesn't make her immune to everything. Medically, she has recovered, but friendship is always appreciated. That goodness, feeling it in your bones, it's not just a nicety, it's important for many of us to maintain that feeling. It's one of the main reasons this school exists, actually."
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215

"How did this academy start? I always wondered about that? Who were the funding "parents" of the idea?" Asks Leon slowing a bit.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Malcolm nods as she speaks, then when she throws he tries holding his hands up as if he was going to catch it that way, and the ball stops a few feet away. "So, use gestures to help visualize the action. How long did it take you to get better? Because there's always the chance I won't have this power for long."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Malcom - Training Gym

"It took me several weeks to admit I could even do what I did. From there, it took me weeks to have a firm grasp. Within a few months of practice to lift anything impressive. I had to take it slow though, I didn't have a safe place like this school to practice. To get where I am now, well, that took years, and challenges that I hope you never have to face. But knowing you, you'd charge right at it. It's a useful power, but I may be biased."

Leon - Library

"The Headmaster was able to convince a number of the heroes of the previous generation of the importance of giving children a chance to grow, not only in an environment that can handle their powers, but one that could embrace them. Recent history is littered with people that became villains because of fear of their abilities, the inability to handle their powers, or because someone took advantage of a vulnerable youth. It was decided to start a school, not just to train students, but to give them the tools to function in normal society if they desired. To know they are loved, respected, cared for, important, and that they matter. It's amazing what that can do for a person's future. And how much a single person can change the world."
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

"Yeah well, who can blame you. I've had this power only for a few months, it was the last one I got. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I figured out how to let go of one power and keep the rest. Would they get stronger like they use to be? I mean, who do I even talk to about this? No one else in the world can do what I can, except my sister."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

(Since there seems to be another delay, I'll post now to keep things moving. The interaction with Lucy can happen at the same time or in the Common Room once Yabex is back.)

Akemi arrives at her room with Lucy to find the Benningfield Twins there, obviously looking for her, and adressing her immediately. She gives a patient smile and answers in English, to keep Lucy in the loop.

"Hello Faith, Hope. I am doing better now, but will still take it slow a couple of days, thank you for asking." Akemi still looks a bit tired, and dressed comfortable and casually in a light grey T-shirt and black sweatpants, though even at her most casual, she still cuts a sleek figure. Obviously there are stories about her mind shifts, though they are often still difficult to fully comprehend, so Akemi usually dismantles stories with facts before they get out of hand, along with assuring that, no, she didn't have a stroke and she doesn't have tumors. It also helps that she speaks with much more authority on complex medical topics than the vast majority of students and teachers.

"As for the other topic, let's go inside and discuss it there, since I need to change real quick." Akemi unlocks her door, welcoming the others inside, inviting them to take a seat on the small couch, chairs, or her bed, while the girl herself disappears behind a divider. People are usually surprised to not find shelves stuffed with books in her room, same thing for when they see that her room isn't the chaos of a mad scientist's lab. Everything seems to be just where it should be, fitting together, the arrangements making sense in terms of function, comfort, and for social interactions, getting a lot out of the one room.

Other than what was mentioned and miscellaneous furniture, there is a desk that also functions as a small workbench, with boxes labelled suggesting a collection of art supplies, tools, and material for doing smaller electronic work or making things that don't require a more well-equipped, larger shop. There are a few pictures here and there, with combinations of her friends, herself, or two women, one of whom the Benningfield Twins and Lucy recognize as Deena Ray, telepath and superhero who also helps the Academy from time to time, the other woman recognized by Lucy as Akemi's (adoptive) mother, Manuela Estrada.

"The Headmaster is aware of you wanting to join the active team, and given who you are as people, as well as your abilities, I recommended you when I was asked. It's not a guarantee, I know, but what help I could give, I did, as a fellow student." Akemi soon emerges from behind the divider, dressed to go outside, cutting an even sleeker figure now. She seats herself on a chair, leaning back and crossing her legs. "Also, I managed to eliminate several false leads, but otherwise, nothing new to report. Sorry, Faith," she adds as an aside. "If it helps, those leads did result in resolving two missing person cases."
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-04-13 at 06:59 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220

"That must have been a hard time. Not all people look the same at education, segregation and development. And at difference and control." Leon pauses, thinking a bit and continues "I believe an undertaking of that sort is well worth of a lifetime investment. Giving space to the next generation to grow. Of course that gives us, the students, a big role on the success of it. If one of us would become a villain or destroy a city, the reputation and future of the academy would be at stake... especially in this first generation. We set the standards."

He pauses a bit more and continues "You think we are up to it?"

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Malcom - Training Gym

"Your sister is not the only person to have maintained more than a single power set, and you two are not the first to copy the abilities of others. Perhaps you've had more easy in gaining them than others, but you are far from the only one. From what I've seen, it's a lot like juggling. The more balls you toss around, the more you have to split your focus. It certainly looks impressive, but you're often on the edge of failure. The fewer balls you're trying to juggle, the better control you have of them, and the more impressive tricks you can pull off with each ball. If you lost a power, you would likely strengthen your remaining abilities At least, that's my best guess."

Leon - Library

"I think many of you can grow up to become full fledged heroes. But of course, that's not the only option we present. Accountants, artists, parents, teachers, lawyers. If students wish to blend into regular society, never use their powers, that is also a fully respectable option. Right now, I know that becoming a hero, fighting the good fight, wearing a splashy logo on your chests, making an immediate measurable impact. But there may come a day when you want to settle down, and be away from the hectic life of a hero. Does it present a challenge, certainly, to a run a school like this one. But is it worth it, I'd say so. Are risks involved, have you seen this place after a Rally Day? If one of the students does fall, well, we are prepared for that. It's why we spend so much time reaching out to our wards, making connections, and fostering empathy."
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

"Too bad I don't know how to get rid of a power. I'm not even sure I can. For all I know five is a hard limit."

13. - Top - End - #223

Leon smiles "For my part, the best I can, I will do. Just have to control this thing better." Curiosity growing "Have you ever had an accident here, with a fellow student going rogue?"

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Malcom - Training Gym

"When it comes to losing abilities, from what I've seen it tends to be an all or nothing. I've seen effects that can temporarily neutralize abilities, but nothing to selectively, permanently, remove abilities with similar origins. As for your limits, well, those can only be determined with experimentation."

Leon - Library

"Accidents are common. Even teens without powers get into scraps, ours are just a bit more dramatic. It's a reason we work so hard to make sure that everyone has a chance to express their feelings before things get out of hand. And why we teach de-escalation techniques as a beginners class, and empathy. Team sports are played for many reasons here."
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

"So in order to touch people and let down these walls you talked about, I have to be as vulnerable as a human? I'd rather be dead."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Malcom - Training Gym

"Oh my, have you forgotten Malcolm? You are human too. No matter what else you can do, remember that."
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

All - Subterrain Meeting Room - 1 week later

Gathered in the subbasement, the Headmaster is once again at his favorite seat at the table, with Ms. Amori by his side. "Students, I wanna officially welcome Leon and the Benningfield sisters to our active team. Akemi, I'm also glad to see you're back to one hundred percent. Now, I've called y'all together because we got another mission for y'all."

Handing out mission dossiers to the assembled team, Ms. Amori picks up her cue instantly. "We have reason to believe that a person or persons of interest are being transported via train on the Jasper-Prince Rupert line. There has been a string of thefts along rail lines, and we believe that they are being conducted by someone using the trains as a means of travel. Unorthodox, which is why this suspect has yet to be brought to justice."
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

In the gym
    "Am I? Give it time."

Meeting room
    Malcolm flips through the provided material. "Two questions, I assume this person is considered extranormal in some way because otherwise why ask us, so what can he do? Second question, have the noobs ever been in an actual fight before? Because if you guys haven't and something goes wrong, just get behind me, I'll handle it. But not too close."
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2017-04-17 at 01:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Akemi has slowly returned to regular Academy life over the course of the past week, returning to peak performance (or, mentally, redefining it), getting rid of any remaining stress and fatigue, and doing what makes her happy, which includes spending time with friends, Lucy in particular. As much as she still is wary about how her mind has adapted to social interactions, it has lead to an increase of happiness in those she is interacting with, in turn making the time she spends with others more satisfying and aiding her recovery. It does help with nurturing positive thoughts about her continued development.

The girl smiles in answer to the Headmaster as well as in greeting of their new teammates. "Welcome to the team, everyone, glad to have you with us."

Akemi rapidly works through her dossier (which is thicker than those of the others, as per usual), storing information, looking for patterns, cross-referencing. "Official figures from 2015 give an average of 334 passengers a week. Two day ride during daylight hours, stopping for the night at Prince George. Three times per week. Aside from transportation also acts as a scenic route for tourists, including cars with panoramic windows, with high prices for the journey during summer for exclusive access to those cars and additional services." She pays close attention to what sort of target and valuables the thieves go after, also noting what kind of passenger is most often found on these rides. Also if the thefts seem to happen in one train line at a time or multiple at once to see if they are dealing with a network or a single entity, as well as why they are being deployed on that particular train ride, suggesting that a pattern has been recognized which leads to a high possibility of sharing a train with the thieves. "I assume we will look for the thieves in plain clothes? Do we assume false identities for the duration of the mission?"
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-04-17 at 04:13 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

All - Subterrain Meeting Room - 1 week later

"Astute observations, per usual. The thefts have been of prototypes, each item expensive on it's own, but we suspect that, if combined, these prototypes could be used as a foundation for a battlesuit. These thefts have been of microprocessors, and other miniaturized tech, cutting edge equipment. These are beyond military grade. As was the the security systems that were protecting the stolen items. These were serious systems, students. How they were breached, we are unsure. Whether it was a hacker, a master thief, or someone with abilities, we do not know as of yet. Nor do we know if this is a group effort or a single individual."

"That's why we plan for y'all da go in undacova. We've gottcha some false IDs set up. This mission is gonna be about subtly, and about tact. Get in, figure out who is committing the crimes, and retrieve the stolen goods."

"To that end, we are going to rely on you. Your gifts will be an advantage on this mission. Your objectives are to identify the thief, or thieves, retrieve the stolen tech, and return to the Academy with your aliases intact, if possible. Now, we expect that, given what has been stolen, we would not be surprised if combat were to break out. A payday like this on the line, with these devices, it is not unreasonable to expect the thief, or thieves, to fight back. If this does happen, minimizing civilian casualties are the highest of priorities. We want, if fighting happens, to seen as heroes."
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

"Well it's a train, if it's not in a town when the fight breaks out we can just throw them off, Akemi can stay aboard to keep searching while I take down the thieves."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

"No throwing off the train, if you can help it, please. Ideally, we want all of the thieves gathered in one spot to make sure they don't get away," Akemi comments as she finishes the dossier, then looks to the Headmaster and Ms. Amori. She doesn't like the amount of unknown factors involved right now. Thus, she is preparing a long round of questions (unless they are already answered in the dossier, in which case she shares said information).

"There seem to be several agendas involved. Several questions:
    Who is making these prototypes, for what purpose and for whom are they being made, and are they meant as the foundation of a battlesuit, or could they just be exploited as one? Is this operation a commission by said manufacturers?
    Why are they transporting them via public means and why do they keep doing it if the tech keeps getting stolen?
    Will there be someone transporting tech on the train or is it just the thieves? If it's a manufacturer transporting the tech, can a civilian get close to them? If it's just the thieves, how do we know they are taking all the tech with them on that train ride?
    In case we manage to prevent the theft and/or retrieve the stolen tech without being discovered while identifying the thieves, are we to apprehend them or just pass their identity along?
    On what authority are we apprehending the thieves, giving that vigilantism is a criticism often raised against capes, especially when this is involving experimental military technology?
    Are we to construct a situation to make apprehending the thieves look like a rare display of upstanding citizen moral courage?
    Are we to disguise our nature as Evos, where possible?"

Akemi looks at the false identity she is going to assume. "Hikari Kujikawa, from Osaka, Japan, transfer student, on the train for sightseeing purposes? Sounds easy enough," she says, the way she speaks gradually taking on a very genuine Japanese accent, correctly tinged by the Osaka regional dialect, and making sure to adjust her speaking patterns to that of someone fluent enough in English to have a decent conversation, but still occasionally looking for a word or making some slight grammatical mistakes. "Let's see here..." Akemi takes a close look at the fake passports and such, looking pretty genuine. "Sugoi!" she adds in a more excitable, somewhat girlier voice than what the others are used to, Akemi creating the patterns of her character, together with mannerisms, likes, dislikes, speech patterns and the like. If she is going to move through the train, it will be easier as a disarming girl. "I'll gather some props prior to the mission. I'm assuming I won't be carrying my gun for this?" And suddenly, she is speaking perfect English again.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Only what isn't in the dossier will be asked, but I'd still like to know whatever is in the dossier about the questions that aren't going to be asked.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2017-04-19 at 02:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233

"Hello everyone" says Leon at the beginning of the meeting.

In a flash he goes at every seat around the table, then returning to being straight and waiting (endlessly) for everyone to seat. He seated himself in a vacant one, not wanting to rob the favorite of one of his teammates.

As he receives the dossier, he goes through the information quickly, re-reading it a few times just in case. A series of robberies. High tech stuff.

Looking at his identity “Wallace West”, “What’s up with the double initials thing. Oh well, it should fit good enough.” He thinks

“Detective work!” says Leon excited “Does any of that technology stolen has a special kind of energy source, or pattern? It would be better if we had some kind of scanner attuned to that energy, that could pinpoint where the tech was? ”

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

All - Subterrain Meeting Room

"There are some private companies that we are heavily invested in, none of which we believe are working on battlesuit tech. But advanced energy storage for electric vehicles, state of the scanning algorithms for astro charts, advanced scanners for hospital care, heavy durability suits for deep sea diving, a life support system for astronauts, a new mining laser, you get my drift. Separately, they are all inventions for good, but if combined along with some other pieces of tech, we think a battlesuit could be constructed."

"As fo' tha train connection, every heist involved a getaway vehicle that was 'bandoned near public transportation. Tha police seem ta think it's 'cause it's easy to ditch a car in a large, long term, public parking lot, but we suspec' it's 'cause someone is actually using public transport as way to move city ta city without leaving a money trail."

"In terms of the identity of the thief, we don't know who they are, if they are even a single individual or a collective of some sort. Given what security systems have been bypassed, and how we think they got in, indicates hacker skills of a remarkable level, a high degree of agility, and a surprising amount of insider knowledge. However, one of the reasons why the police haven't tracked down the thief is because of the lack of an easy energy signature or tracking devices left in the tech. Those that were placed have been left at the scene. However, if the power cell is active, you should be able to find it, but only if it's active. One of the breakthroughs, which in our case, is a bad thing.

Given that we have investments in these companies, we can aid in the return of the stolen items with minimal fuss. In regards to your nature as Evos, as always, we would prefer if you didn't flash it around, but if things become flashy, don't be afraid to reveal what you can do in order to do good. Retrieval of the items is the first priority, security has been increased, and hopefully the thief, or thieves, will not be able to break in a second time. If you can apprehend the thief, that is an excellent bonus."
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

"Yup, technopath, calling it. No traces because he's the computer himself. Or, herself. Whatever. I take it this is strictly nonlethal?" He looks at his cover ID. "Calvin Rankin. Kind of boring, but whatever." He looks over at Leon. "Speed guy, huh? How fast?"

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Akemi nods in regards to the additional information, which make the situation a lot clearer (and a lot different than what the initial description suggested).

27. - Top - End - #237

"Fast." replies Leon "More than any land vehicle. More than a bullet. If you are asking the actual speed, I don't Know. My body is still changing and adapting to the mutation. No one, including myself, knows how fast I'll end up achieving."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hallway-

Faith was kind of taken aback by the mention of looking into her parents. She had known Akemi might be involved with it but hadn't expect to hear it now. And not good news. She nodded slowly and began walking away, quickly disappearing into,the shadows.

Hope gave an apologetic smile and a thank you and ran the other way down the hallway.

Meeting Room:

The girls walk into the room and take a look around. Hope watching the blur who then waits for everyone to sit. Faith watches the others. When they get their dossier they split it, each focusing on different parts.

After quick analysis, Hope adopts a delightful French accent and says, "Thank you for having us. So, if things go poorly and get flashy as you say, what is our priority? Protect the tech or catch the thief? Gabrielle DuPont. On vacation with my cousin Frieda Weber from Germany."

Faith simply glares at Malcolm muttering in German in response to his comments about noobs.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

"As mentioned, tech first, thief second. The tech is what will ultimately cause the bigger problems. Ideally both, though," Akemi says in response to Hope.

She turns to the adults in the room. "Anything else?"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Faith snaps her attention back.

"I think what she meant was is breaking the stuff bad?"