Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default A Faerie Affair - OOC III: Fey Were Expendable

A Faerie Affair
    Out of Character III: Fey Were Expendable

Welcome back friends! This is the third official OOC thread for A Faerie Affair. As always, this thread is for all out-of-character chat, witty observations, good-natured debate and so on. Try to keep dice rolls in the IC thread, but you can use this one to avoid double-posting, etc. I'll be keeping this post and the one after it up to date with useful and/or entertaining information, so check back regularly! Old OOC threads will be archived on Wayback Machine, if you need to refer to anything in them.

Game Links (* indicates current):
    IC thread I
    IC thread II: A Pixie in a Bottle (is Worth Two in the Party)
    IC thread III: In the Court of the Faerie King*
    OOC thread I
    OOC thread II: A Faerie Special Episode
    OOC thread III: Fey Were Expendable*
    Roll20 page

Chapter Bookmarks:
    Prologue
    Chapter 1
    Chapter 2

Spoiler: Other Useful Links
    Show

Those ground rules again:
    • No PvP. Including theft.
    • When we're in initiative order, please post in the IC thread at least once per day. If you can't do that, make sure you let me know in advance.
    • When in combat, please include a summary of your character's current status in your IC posts. Include as a minimum: Name, AC, Passive Perception, Save DCs (for spells, ki, manoeuvres, etc.). At least once per page, if you can.
    • The DM's decision is final.
    • Magenta (FF00FF), Deep Magenta (CC00CC), Purple (800080) and Blackberry (4D0036) are reserved for the DM and NPCs.

And clarifications:
    • All human-shaped fey (so not faerie dragons) are affected by humanoid-only spells and effects, such as Calm Emotions and Hold Person.
    • Creatures that are immune to Sleep still subtract HP from the pool.
    • A ‘critical hit’ is always a hit, regardless of AC.
    • Magic items cannot be identified without the Identify spell.
    • A natural one on a d20 roll is always an automatic fail, and a natural 20 is always an automatic success. Ties go to the PC.
    • You may elect to deal non-lethal damage with a ranged weapon. If you do so, you suffer a -5 to-hit modifier.
    • All NPCs are speaking in Sylvan, except where noted using triangle brackets.
    • Wild Magic: wild mages must roll for Wild Magic whenever they cast a spell of 1st level or higher. If a Wild Magic Surge happens, that effect replaces whatever spell they were trying to cast. If a wild mage wishes to recharge their Tides of Chaos ability, they must declare it before casting a spell. In this case, the spell is an automatic Wild Magic Surge.

Player Characters:

Player Character Race Class Gender Speech
    WindStruck Astra Glitterwing Pixie Abjurer 4 Female Vivid Red
    Majin Korialstrasz Faerie Dragon Prairie Druid 4 Male Dark Green
    Pyon Kyu Sweetbreeze Pixie Wild Mage 4 Female Bright Pink
    Stan Opal Orlaith Oread Battlemaster 4 Female Auburn
    tgva8889 Orianna Blossomheart Half-Nymph Devotion Paladin 4 Female Blaze Orange

Former Player Characters:

Player Character Race Class Gender Speech
    Ramsus Sakura the Three Star Zashiki-Warashi Valour Bard 3 Female Light Orchid
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-11-30 at 07:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: A Faerie Affair - OOC III: Fey Were Expendable

Campaign Journal

Spoiler: Live Statistics
    Show
    Creation and Destruction:

Character Kills KOs Most Notable Victory Items Crafted Days With Party
    Astra Glitterwing 0 0 - 10 33
    Korialstrasz 10 0 Death Dog 0 33
    Kyu Sweetbreeze 1 0 Giant Spider 1 25
    Opal Orlaith 11 0 Displacer Beast 0 33
    Orianna Blossomheart 9 1 Death Dog 10 33
    Sakura the Three Star 4 1 Kryshantel 0 8

Fey Shenanigans:

Character Performance Checks Creatures Enchanted Wishes Granted Parties Gatecrashed
    Astra Glitterwing 0 7 1 2
    Korialstrasz 0 3 1 2
    Kyu Sweetbreeze 4 2 3 2
    Opal Orlaith 0 0 0 2
    Orianna Blossomheart 0 0 0 2
    Sakura the Three Star 1 2 0 0

Personal:

Letters written: 4
    Dragons seen: 2 (and a half)
    Wild magic surges: 4
    Rocks distributed: 4
    Warhammer-ripostes: 1-for-3
    Divine interventions: 3
    Meals cooked: 6

Spoiler: Friends and Family
    Show
    Drake Flutterfrost. Much-loved old man from Sweetberry. Takes great care over his garden, wherein all of the young pixies love to play.

Gloria Moondust. A young cousin of Astra's who recently learned to fly.

Mr. and Mrs. Glitterwing. Astra's parents (first names pending).

Mr. and Mrs. Sweetbreeze. Kyu's parents (first names pending).

Opal's Parents. A mystery!

Prince Hefeydd. An Archfey and former bard who values passion above all things. Orianna's paladin oath is sworn to him personally.

Spoiler: Notable NPCs
    Show
    Queen Lydia Seaspray. Faerie queen, rules a large domain in the Shilmista. Sent the party on its quest. Aloof and stern. Appears to have an unusual interest in human-gold.

Mr. Winterglow. Faerie. Lydia's butler & fixer.

King Soren. Faerie king. His domain is in the forest of Cormanthor.

Queen Reena. Faerie queen. Also in Cormanthor.

Ceol. Human druid, former member of the Emerald Enclave. Aging naturist who despises all technology & civilisation, currently living deep in the Shilmista.

Mayor Faelwen Leav'Nias'Iqua. Elf. Long-time mayor of Cershire. Generous and kind, says the party is always welcome in the village.

Lord Giles Andrel & Lady Brione Andrel. Human nobles, richest people in Cershire. Possess a magical warhammer, Andell's Revenge. Have children distributed throughout the Dragon Coast.

Sheriff Ralur Longbarrow. Human veteran, commands a handful of guards in Cershire. Pragmatic but often overtaxed.

High Priest Ulon Harford. Human cleric of Ilmater. Only spellcaster living in Cershire.

Ioria. Young elf, has fallen in with the wrong crowd. Speaks Sylvan.

Ronk. Half-orc thug who has now left Cershire for pastures new.

Molondo. Centaur chef, Springwarden of the Emerald Enclave.

Champion Fillanos. Centaur paladin, instrumental in defeating the gnolls. A proud but uncompromising warrior.

Raielan Sy'Ar. Elven wizard, lives in a tower on the Giant's Plain. Occasionally visits towns to sell scrolls and potions.

Huang Fei. Human fighter. Speaks in goldenrod. Leads a party of adventurers:
    Ondar Ghaat'Arrn. Half-elven wizard. Speaks in chartreuse.
    Shea Meadowflower. Halfling bard. Speaks in deep sky blue.
    Chandara Lueltar. Elven cleric of Oghma. Speaks in dim grey and knows Sylvan.

'Branwen'. Kitsune spy based in Elversult. Has connections all over the place, including within faerie courts.

Arryn Gysby. Halfling artist, wished that Kyu would grant him the power to bring his paintings to life.

Count Chen. Human noble, lives in the eastern part of Westgate. Known by the locals as 'crazy Chen', who disapprove of his charitable works. Owns a very nice ship.

The Parrot Captain. A pirate captain who was transformed into a parrot. Currently living in a tidal cave near Westgate; has asked the party to lift his curse.

Nalfein Vrinn. Drow sea captain who works for Count Chen. Very old, friendly (except to his crew).

High Justicar Whitewood. Human paladin of Tyr, highest-ranking officer at the Abbey of the Just Hammer. Currently training up recruits for an expedition into Cormanthor. Among the recruits is Omond, a Featherdarran who you helped get to the Abbey.

Rik. Human wizard and would-be businessman. Currently sheltering at the Abbey of the Just Hammer.

Larynda Claddath. Drow mage, rides a flaming steed and appears to be part of a leader of a raid against the surface world. She knows your faces.

The Circle of Yeven. A druid circle in Three Rivers Land. Significant members include the Keeper of the Tree (an aged halfling), Joia (her apprentice), Daelen (an elf who speaks Sylvan), Werman (who is bold and restless) and Rosa (who seems scatterbrained but actually has more book-learning than the other druids).

Ryld and Chakos. A pair of drow warriors who deserted Larynda's army in exchange for three wishes each. They both have one left and you have promised to meet them on the 30th of Mirtul, the last day of spring, so as to grant the wishes.

Ferb. Awakened badger barbarian, wounded defending Pinkleaf. Currently holed up at Fort Coppertree.

Moira Brightfire. A warlock bound to Prince Hefeydd, this young, red-haired faerie works for the Arcane Chirurgeons' Association in Soren's court.

Daved Candycake. Another warlock of Hefeydd's, he is a scarred army veteran who can often be found training Soren's recruits. Level-headed but unimaginative.

'Rhona Rainbow'. A spy based at the Palace of Jewels. You caught her snooping on you, so she gave you some information on Reena's Court. A skilled spellcaster and mediocre beat poet.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-04-03 at 04:30 AM.

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    5e Spellbrew Contest I - Winner!
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

Homebrew: Sig, MFoV (I'm the Nails)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just going to have Kor take +2 to wisdom. Seems a pretty safe choice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

So what would Kor be hunting..? Remember I don't think Astra would eat meat.. and then again, he's also pretty small, so could he provide enough food for Orianna, Opal, and then everyone else? (also dumpling!)

Oh yeah. And hi! New thread.

5. - Top - End - #5

OldWizardGuy

I'm sorry, I was confused earlier - I was thinking that the evening before was Greengrass and that we couldn't move 15 miles after already travelling all day. Could we travel 15 miles in a day with the current terrain?

Opal will stay fighter. I'm thinking whether it would be better to take the feat to untether Opal from her mountain now or at 6th level. Later, it might be easier to work it into the story. That's assuming that we'll hit level 6 at some point.

6. - Top - End - #6

In terms of advancement, while Lucky looks kind of interesting I don't think it makes much sense for Orianna at this point, and none of the others really make sense for the way she's been going, so I feel like she'll just be ability advancing +2 to strength.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    5e: Orianna OOC IC
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I'm sorry, I was confused earlier - I was thinking that the evening before was Greengrass and that we couldn't move 15 miles after already travelling all day. Could we travel 15 miles in a day with the current terrain?

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    So what would Kor be hunting..?
    I heard mention of herbs, spices and berries. They may not be the most dangerous game, but they still need to be found.

...perhaps 'scrounge' would have been a better verb choice.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Oh... and I was going off of what Stan had said, also believing we'd never get there!

9. - Top - End - #9

Oh... and I was going off of what Stan had said, also believing we'd never get there!
    Well yeah, I mean obviously you're going to be captured by drow before you get there, but you could feasibly cover that distance in one day. It'd probably still be light when you got there!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

10. - Top - End - #10

OldWizardGuy

There aren't a ton of feats for shield users - shield master is ok but not great.

I'm considering taking martial adept but I have a couple of questions. If I successfully disarm someone, can I use my free object interaction to pick up the weapon even though I have a shield on my arm? Or, can I use my free object interaction to kick a weapon/item 10'+ (depending on the item) so that they would trigger an OA if they move to go get it? If I can't keep their weapon away from them, on their turn, they can use their free object interaction to pick it up, which (unlike 3e) does not trigger any penalties.
    Last edited by Stan; 2016-10-25 at 06:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

There aren't a ton of feats for shield users - shield master is ok but not great.

I'm considering taking martial adept but I have a couple of questions. If I successfully disarm someone, can I use my free object interaction to pick up the weapon even though I have a shield on my arm? Or, can I use my free object interaction to kick a weapon/item 10'+ (depending on the item) so that they would trigger an OA if they move to go get it? If I can't keep their weapon away from them, on their turn, they can use their free object interaction to pick it up, which (unlike 3e) does not trigger any penalties.
    I quite like Shield Master, as it goes. It'd help cover your weak Dexterity save and shoving people down can be pretty useful - what else are you doing with your bonus action?

Anyway, I've said before that I consider holding a shield to 'use up' one hand, and I stand by that. The PHB says on page 144 "A shield is made from wood or metal and is carried in one hand." This also means you drop it if you fall unconscious (like Ori did against the displacer beasts).

If you have a free hand, yes, I'd allow you to pick up a disarmed weapon as an object interaction. And yes, I'd let you kick it 10 feet away (or off a ledge or down a well...) in environments where that seems reasonable. Of course, some enemies might carry a spare dagger or something they could draw if they get disarmed. I imagine most of the drow soldiers do.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

12. - Top - End - #12

OldWizardGuy

Hmmm, I was thinking only movement with shove, not knocking them down. Five feet of involuntary movement is nice in only a few situations. But prone gives advantage to others. The weak thing with martial adept is it gives only one more die to play with. The two extra maneuvers have diminishing returns as I already have plenty of opportunities to use a limited number of maneuver dice.

I'll think about it.

13. - Top - End - #13

From an "optimizer's" point of view Shield Master is the better choice because you can knock someone down first, and then attack them, and then Orianna can come and attack all with advantage. Kor and Kyu don't benefit from it if we use ranged spell attacks but it could benefit us if we go for dex saves.

However this game was never about optimization and more about fun, so if maneuvers are more fun go for the maneuvers!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Wait... so we either choose a feat OR 2 stat points?

15. - Top - End - #15

Wait... so we either choose a feat OR 2 stat points?
    That's about the size of it, yeah. I gather that 5e feats are bigger than 3.5 ones. For some builds (especially fighters) picking feats over ASIs is a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyon View Post
    However this game was never about optimization and more about fun, so if maneuvers are more fun go for the maneuvers!
    Says the person who picked +2 Cha.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Welp, will be going with that healer feat like we discussed previously... also, I saw the Alchemist feat and that seemed cool too! But maybe later........

Ah yes and then there are spells!

Gained cantrip: Amanuensis

New spells:
    Faerie Ward
    Locate Object

Edit: oh yeah. So uh.. should someone point out IC that we actually CAN make it to the village in time? Or should we just go back and edit?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2016-10-25 at 03:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Yep. So, Healer revolves around the healer's kit; you can buy them pretty much anywhere at 10 uses for 5gp, and you have one full kit with you at the moment.

What Alchemist feat is this? I don't think I'm familiar...

As for the IC, you could take the angle of "well, we'll miss the big picnic-brunch, but maybe we can still get to Pinkleaf in time for *insert other party game here*!"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I don't htink the healer's kit is full. I used it... a couple times, didn't I??

And the feat is simply called "Alchemist". In there with all the other ones.

19. - Top - End - #19

Oh, I don't htink the healer's kit is full. I used it... a couple times, didn't I??

And the feat is simply called "Alchemist". In there with all the other ones.
    Oh, possibly. I can't remember. Let's say you've picked up a few extra bandages somewhere along the way to refill it.

I see it now. It's from Unearthed Arcana, which I will allow. Yeah, looks fun.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post

Says the person who picked +2 Cha.
    I picked +2 CHA because I'm still not sure what I want for Kyu yet =/ Multiclassing doesn't make much sense, and most feats don't fit her. I'll eventually pick up a one of the fancy fey tattoos at some point but I still don't know which one.

All I know is that in the unlikely event we make it to epic level, Kyu is going to become the Archfey of Cuteness and all Clerics and Warlocks will have to look as cute as they can or lose all spells for that day.

21. - Top - End - #21

Oh, do we have access to Unearthed Arcana stuff? I am only vaguely aware any of that exists.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't think this was unearthed arcana stuff. I saw the alchemist feat right in the plain vanilla rulebook.

23. - Top - End - #23

The first feat in the core PHB is Alert, which comes alphabetically after Alchemist, so I don't think it's in this book.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Nevermind. I think I must have had a brain fart. Probably did a google search for 5e feats instead.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Oh, do we have access to Unearthed Arcana stuff? I am only vaguely aware any of that exists.
    Yeah, I'm minded to allow most of it, if it fits the setting (so no Eberron or Modern Magic). I'm not a fan of That Old Black Magic. Spell-less Ranger is not allowed, but Revised Ranger is. SCAG supersedes Waterborne.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

26. - Top - End - #26

By the way, this is the UA the Alchemist feat is in. Some potentially handy feats for melee charactes as well.

27. - Top - End - #27

OldWizardGuy

Does anyone have anything to add to the breakfast scene? A nice, holiday meal style speech? Opal not much for giving speeches. Or, is everyone ready to die before hitting our first real destination?

Spiders have been mentioned. If anyone has lesser restoration memorized, that would be nice.

28. - Top - End - #28

"Some new spells! Maybe we could try them out sometime when we get to your village!"

Astra didn't really want to use up her magic so early yet. Though they'd probably get to Kyu's village today, who knew what would happen? Better yet, she could show all of Kyu's friends and family too if she waited.
    *dramatic music* Astra ramps up the tension... Can Kyu take the suspense?? Find out next week, on A Faerie Affair!

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

29. - Top - End - #29

She can't take the suspense. She gets 20 levels of exhaustion, dies immediately =/ Kyu was not made to suspense.

30. - Top - End - #30

Does anyone have anything to add to the breakfast scene? A nice, holiday meal style speech? Opal not much for giving speeches.
    I guess no one's in the mood for speeches...

I'll move you on tomorrow morning if no one has anything else to say.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.