New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Should my fake NPC do damage...

Hi all

Want to keep this short because the group is watching. Basically, my group will encounter a lone adventurer who will ask them to help him with a task. Being murder-hobos with a desire for shiny objects, they will agree. Adventurer will lead them to a temple, help them fight the foes, and then at the last moment... vanish.

Turns out hes been dead for 200 years and was never really there. A ghost if you will (though I dont want to actually make him undead. He is just a memory of intent basically).

So should he do damage, or should I just fake the damage he does? Just roll dice for the sake of it and pretend?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Should my fake NPC do damage...

Quote Originally Posted by Albions_Angel View Post
    Hi all

Want to keep this short because the group is watching. Basically, my group will encounter a lone adventurer who will ask them to help him with a task. Being murder-hobos with a desire for shiny objects, they will agree. Adventurer will lead them to a temple, help them fight the foes, and then at the last moment... vanish.

Turns out hes been dead for 200 years and was never really there. A ghost if you will (though I dont want to actually make him undead. He is just a memory of intent basically).

So should he do damage, or should I just fake the damage he does? Just roll dice for the sake of it and pretend?
    If he's an illusion or something (and your party has no way of detecting such things) then go for rolling fake damage to trick them.

if they have abilities to detect stuff like this (tremorsense, lifesense, detect magic, etc) make sure they get a far shake so they don't cry foul when he disappears at the end of the scene.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fake it. Also, get into the habit of randomly rolling your dice :p keeps the players off guard
    Useful tips and hints for those wanting to try DDO out but are new (click the link and help my friend get 1 step closer to becoming a full time blogger) :)
    http://mylifeinstormreach.blogspot.com/

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

The PCs should get a chance to sense something's afoot when the ghost's attacks don't seem to wound the enemies they hit. You have two options:

• The NPC never actually succeeds in hitting. Either he always misses, or he spends his time casting spells, moving, drinking potions, using Intimidate, feinting, whatever.
    • The ghost has other ghost enemies that he fights. They are part of the same memory. Give him one each battle, that he focuses on, and that the PCs won't attack for whatever reason (conveniently placed terrain, the NPC "calls" his quarry, and so on).

Either way, make sure that the enemies don't try to attack the NPC either. Perhaps they do not see him (which is another suspicious thing) or they don't consider him a threat since he's not hurting anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

If he has a magic weapon, roll as for total concealment--a magic weapon has 50% to hit incorporeal, while a incorporeal magic weapon has 50% to hit corporeal.