New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Some Beautiful Vocal Music?

I found Joanna Wang's vocal music performance in The Bug extremely beautiful to listen to and it occurred to me that it's not actually something my music collections feature a lot of. Thus, I'm looking for more, preferably outside the opera world; I am well acquainted with the likes of Habanera from Carmen or Der Hölle Rache from the Magic Flute, but I'd like to find some among the lighter music. More precisely, I'm particularly interested in solo pieces featuring vocal music somewhere in the female range. Sadly I was unable to find any other such pieces by Wang, and while I quite love the guise of that song, the content is such that I'd rather not be obsessively listening to that in particular.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Some Beautiful Vocal Music?

Not sure if this is what you meant, but I love Anonymous 4, and you might consider The Origin of Fire, which is an adaptation of music composed by Hildegard von Bingen.

For a completely different style of music, you might check out Raya Yarbrough, in particular some of her collaborations with Bear McCreary. He composed the soundtrack for most of the new Battlestar Galactica, and she has some exquisite solos--including one in Armenian which is deeply poignant.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

DruidGirl

Looks like you are looking more for opera-like music, but Erutan is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieE_BC2IaFc

Or Karliene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDN1sA3Fpqg

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

While I find most of their music a little too...shlocky, The Civil Wars The One that Got Away is about as yearning and emotionally distraught a love song I can think of. And Mrs. William's voice is great conveying all the emotion the song needs to pull itself off.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Not sure if this is what you meant, but I love Anonymous 4, and you might consider The Origin of Fire, which is an adaptation of music composed by Hildegard von Bingen.
    I'll try to explain myself better - looking back, I did a tremendously poor job of it. I'm looking for non-lyrical vocal pieces or pieces featuring beautiful sequences of singing non-lexical sounds or voices. An example, Der Hölle Rache from 2:52 to 3:06 or The Bug from from 0:31 to 0:48. What do you call that anyways? I'm not looking for just that specific style but in general, vocal melody.

While Anonymous 4 is not precisely what I was looking for this round, thanks for the idea. Beautiful music is beautiful music and I'll be sure to get to know them more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    For a completely different style of music, you might check out Raya Yarbrough, in particular some of her collaborations with Bear McCreary. He composed the soundtrack for most of the new Battlestar Galactica, and she has some exquisite solos--including one in Armenian which is deeply poignant.
    Thanks! She seems to have done some pieces with mostly vocal accompaniment - I think I'll be going through those now.

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Looks like you are looking more for opera-like music, but Erutan is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieE_BC2IaFc

Or Karliene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDN1sA3Fpqg
    Interesting that I hadn't noticed either of them before. They seem to be in numerous "similar artist"-lists among my favourites. Thanks! They seem to have some pieces that feature vocal accompaniment.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    While I find most of their music a little too...shlocky, The Civil Wars The One that Got Away is about as yearning and emotionally distraught a love song I can think of. And Mrs. William's voice is great conveying all the emotion the song needs to pull itself off.
    Thanks! Though I explained myself poorly and this is not precisely what I was looking for, it's a beautiful song nevertheless. I'll be adding it to my archives.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.