New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

Dug out my notes for Vampire Hunter D. Now I think I really have an idea to work with here.

I guess you can say I'm "officially" working on it.

2. - Top - End - #92

Quote Originally Posted by Muggins View Post
    The racial versions of Half-Ogre give Large size. Maybe you're thinking of the template from Dragon Magazine, but I can't say; I don't have that edition.

I might see if Saitama is theoretically possible. Might not. Stay tuned.
    Yes. The dragon magazine version gives large size, while keeping the humanoid type. This might be what I was looking for. It does take an Int hit, but since I don't have to roll stats when making a character like this, that just means he won't have Int higher than 16.

Would he get bonus strength/constitution for increasing his size, in addition to the racial modifiers? the template isn't too clear about that.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

The racial versions of Half-Ogre give Large size. Maybe you're thinking of the template from Dragon Magazine, but I can't say; I don't have that edition.

I might see if Saitama is theoretically possible. Might not. Stay tuned.
    Making Saitama is...tricky, since he's more than just "infinite damage". Infinite speed (and, if you're going for a full build, infinite action economy) are much harder to pull off; off the top of my head, you'd probably need something like at-will Time Stop that you can cast as the 3.5 equivalent of an immediate interrupt, but that's probably something that can't be done outside of epic. Similarly, his ability to dodge (AC/miss chance), his ability to tank (HP/DR/ER/SR/PR/saves), and his ability to recover (Fast Healing/Regeneration) are also somewhere in the stratosphere. Perhaps a character with resetting traps for Heroics, Embrace the Dark Chaos, and Shun the Dark Chaos could achieve NI AC/DR/FH if they can find a way to take epic feats pre-epic, but that still leaves saves in the lurch - unless he's also got a pile of straight-up immunities.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #94

what about tokyo ghoul (ken kanake, rize, juuzou, ato), Akame ga kill, or Highschool DxD

I would like to think that kanake has lvls in warshaper and soul eater, is he a changling (half farspawn). What would his base class be (factotum ?)
    Last edited by D&DPrinceTandem; 2016-11-30 at 10:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Making Saitama is...tricky, since he's more than just "infinite damage". Infinite speed (and, if you're going for a full build, infinite action economy) are much harder to pull off; off the top of my head, you'd probably need something like at-will Time Stop that you can cast as the 3.5 equivalent of an immediate interrupt, but that's probably something that can't be done outside of epic. Similarly, his ability to dodge (AC/miss chance), his ability to tank (HP/DR/ER/SR/PR/saves), and his ability to recover (Fast Healing/Regeneration) are also somewhere in the stratosphere. Perhaps a character with resetting traps for Heroics, Embrace the Dark Chaos, and Shun the Dark Chaos could achieve NI AC/DR/FH if they can find a way to take epic feats pre-epic, but that still leaves saves in the lurch - unless he's also got a pile of straight-up immunities.
    Does he ever actually take any damage? From what I remember, he's in one piece the whole time.

Ritual of Alignment (Evil) + Cancer Mage, fetching Festering Anger and Vile Rigidity, can get us infinite strength and infinite natural armour. Alternatively, I can use the Armour as DR option and get DR 1/- for every 5 points of natural armour (which should be more than enough). This leaves non-physical damage types, a bunch of miss chance, and probably Improved Evasion/Mettle.

I know, I know. Ritual of Alignment and Cancer Mage aren't exactly the most lore-sensitive options. But it's easy enough to style these as being why he went bald and got his powers, and there'll likely be more templates to add to the pile. He's probably not going to have all that many hit dice; he's just an ordinary guy, after all.
    Last edited by Muggins; 2016-11-30 at 11:16 PM.
    The Forsaker: A 3.5e revamp.
    Spoiler: CharOP
    Show
    IC 56: Bolivar d'Kundarak (Silver)
    IC 76: Xander Marchand (Silver)
    IC 82: North and East and Gripp (Tied for Gold!)
    VC 17: Liridon (Silver)
    JW 5: Nyan (Gold)
    ZS 24: Isabel (Gold)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Does he ever actually take any damage? From what I remember, he's in one piece the whole time.

Ritual of Alignment (Evil) + Cancer Mage, fetching Festering Anger and Vile Rigidity, can get us infinite strength and infinite natural armour. Alternatively, I can use the Armour as DR option and get DR 1/- for every 5 points of natural armour (which should be more than enough). This leaves non-physical damage types, a bunch of miss chance, and probably Improved Evasion/Mettle.

I know, I know. Ritual of Alignment and Cancer Mage aren't exactly the most lore-sensitive options. But it's easy enough to style these as being why he went bald and got his powers, and there'll likely be more templates to add to the pile. He's probably not going to have all that many hit dice; he's just an ordinary guy, after all.
    It's difficult to say. He's certainly never been really harmed, but whether this is due to people "hitting" him but missing his AC, due to miss chance screwing them up, due to his HP being close enough to infinite to absorb the damage, due to his DR/ER/SR/PR mitigating the effect into nothingness, due to a pile of immunities preventing him from being harmed in any way, or due to some more esoteric form of defense. I guess as long as you've got some way to simulate his "can't be hurt" schtick, it'll be fine. Cancer Mage shenanigans seem like a fine enough start (although they're hardly infinite and they take time to ramp up), although you'll probably want to throw in some "Lightning Maces+Roundabout Kick+Aptitude weapon+tons of base attacks+tons of rerolls" to better simulate his NI attacks per round (unless that's being dealt with via whatever action economy shenanigans are used to simulate his speed-blitz abilities).

Definitely liking what you're putting out so far, though. Can't wait to see the full build.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #97

It's difficult to say. He's certainly never been really harmed, but whether this is due to people "hitting" him but missing his AC, due to miss chance screwing them up, due to his HP being close enough to infinite to absorb the damage, due to his DR/ER/SR/PR mitigating the effect into nothingness, due to a pile of immunities preventing him from being harmed in any way, or due to some more esoteric form of defense. I guess as long as you've got some way to simulate his "can't be hurt" schtick, it'll be fine. Cancer Mage shenanigans seem like a fine enough start (although they're hardly infinite and they take time to ramp up), although you'll probably want to throw in some "Lightning Maces+Roundabout Kick+Aptitude weapon+tons of base attacks+tons of rerolls" to better simulate his NI attacks per round (unless that's being dealt with via whatever action economy shenanigans are used to simulate his speed-blitz abilities).

Definitely liking what you're putting out so far, though. Can't wait to see the full build.
    Well, I'm working with three years, since that's 1) easy and 2) basically the case. Three years means 1095 days, and Festering Anger and Vile Rigidity get +2 or +1 per day, to a total of +2190 Strength and +1095 natural armour, respectively. If we go with Armour as DR, that gets divided by five for DR 219/-, and it gets added to whatever other armour we're wearing.

The big thing is going to be the action economy advantage he has and, likely, his ability to dodge attacks.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

If we're doing 3.5, Saitama is obviously a Troll-Blooded Gheden who's covered his bases.

That is, some kind of permanent Death Ward(a custom tattoo?) and Fort/Will saves so high he can't be poisoned or mind controlled. Ever.

Of course, a daily Hero's Feast helps, too.

Then he also has to deal incredible amounts of damage with just one punch--sounds like something Vital Strike can help with to me!

For a Troll-Blooded Gheden, it goes like this.

>Punched in the face
    >Regeneration makes punch nonlethal
    >Gheden is immune to nonlethal

All you need is energy immunity to fire and acid. There are rings that do that.

9. - Top - End - #99

I'd rather not use dragon magazine content. I find it inelegant.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

well you could use...
    oh... well what about.
    um... how about
    ok, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Not to mention the Pathfinder material Vital Strike! Thatcs not even the right game system.

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #102

Not to mention the Pathfinder material Vital Strike! Thatcs not even the right game system.
    We've had Pathfinder characters and material before. I just like to stick to official 3e/3.5e content when I can.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

The big thing is going to be the action economy advantage he has and, likely, his ability to dodge attacks.
    Is that Leomon from Digimon attacking him? Time has not been kind.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

14. - Top - End - #104

PirateWench

I've got Inuyasha mostly figure out. Having trouble trying to get his fast healing. What I'm working with currently is a Razorclaw Shifter Half-Fiend. Primary class is Unarmed Swordsage with dips into Barbarian and Ranger, while prestiging in to Bloodclaw Master. Any Ideas where to go from here?
    Iron Chef in the Playground LXVI - Honorable Mention : Azalin Stonecutter

Iron Chef Home Cooking in the Playground II - Second Place : Takenaka Kenshin

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, Asuna from SAO is on the list but not Kirito, the protagonist? Of course I could have just failed a Spot check, but I doubt it.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by KrimsonNekros View Post
    I've got Inuyasha mostly figure out. Having trouble trying to get his fast healing. What I'm working with currently is a Razorclaw Shifter Half-Fiend. Primary class is Unarmed Swordsage with dips into Barbarian and Ranger, while prestiging in to Bloodclaw Master. Any Ideas where to go from here?
    Maybe Quick Reconnoiter (Complete Adventurer or Dungeonscape) and Keen-Eared Scout (Player's Handbook 2), for better hearing/vision? What about Healing Factor (Eberron Campaign Setting?)
    Last edited by Muggins; 2016-12-01 at 02:36 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Wait, Asuna from SAO is on the list but not Kirito, the protagonist? Of course I could have just failed a Spot check, but I doubt it.
    This is why I suggested sorting by source at the start. Easier to find people from a specific anime.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    This is why I suggested sorting by source at the start. Easier to find people from a specific anime.
    The search command is your friend.

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    Actually, Dusk Eclipse's Kirito was made for the old Video Game Protagonists as D&D Character thread. My Asuna build (the one in the OP) has a direct link. That's why you won't find it in this thread.

They work really well together, as it turns out.
    Last edited by Muggins; 2016-12-01 at 02:38 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, Dusk Eclipse's Kirito was made for the old Video Game Protagonists as D&D Character thread. My Asuna build (the one in the OP) has a direct link. That's why you won't find it in this thread.

They work really well together, as it turns out.
    One, thank you, but I'd actually realized that there was a link to it in the Asuna post. Silly me.

Two, they work well together? What does that mean? That they work great as a team?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #111

Heh.
    Two, they work well together? What does that mean? That they work great as a team?
    That they work well as a team, yes. Asuna darts around the battlefield making six attacks a round, dealing high damage while avoiding attacks of opportunity and maintaining both a dodge bonus and miss chance against incoming attacks. Enemies are therefore incentivised to attack the stationary Kirito, except that they provoke attacks for doing so (triggering Stormguard Warrior) and he hits back harder as a result.

If they're fighting together, their enemies don't really have a good option for dealing with either of them.
    Last edited by Muggins; 2016-12-01 at 03:03 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Heh.

That they work well as a team, yes. Asuna darts around the battlefield making six attacks a round, dealing high damage while avoiding attacks of opportunity and maintaining both a dodge bonus and miss chance against incoming attacks. Enemies are therefore incentivised to attack the stationary Kirito, except that they provoke attacks for doing so (triggering Stormguard Warrior) and he hits back harder as a result.

If they're fighting together, their enemies don't really have a good option for dealing with either of them.
    Oooh, that's going to hurt. Wonder if that was intentional?

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #113

Oooh, that's going to hurt. Wonder if that was intentional?
    Well, since I made that Asuna build, yes. I can say that it is intentional.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Well, since I made that Asuna build, yes. I can say that it is intentional.
    Then a very good job you've done indeed.

Btw, some of the characters from Accel World are pretty cool... Black Lotus, for example, floats and has four blades instead of arms and legs. Said blades are the sharpest in the entire game(Accel World is written by the same person as SAO). Ash Roller has a motorcycle that can go up walls, and in the original novels, it also can fire missiles. And the grand prize has to go to Scarlet Rain, who has a suit of armor that's so big, her nickname is the Immovable Fortress, and she is literally has the greatest ranged firepower in the entire game.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #115

Then a very good job you've done indeed.

Btw, some of the characters from Accel World are pretty cool... Black Lotus, for example, floats and has four blades instead of arms and legs. Said blades are the sharpest in the entire game(Accel World is written by the same person as SAO). Ash Roller has a motorcycle that can go up walls, and in the original novels, it also can fire missiles. And the grand prize has to go to Scarlet Rain, who has a suit of armor that's so big, her nickname is the Immovable Fortress, and she is literally has the greatest ranged firepower in the entire game.
    I can probably safely say that I won't be making any of those characters, as I only watched the first season or so of the anime and haven't cared to dig any deeper (anime or otherwise). I'll leave them to someone else if they want them DnD-ified.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I did San Goku from Dragon Ball anime before (before Dragon Ball Z, when Goku was 12 years old) - during Iron Chef LXXII - Spellfire Channeler : Kakarotto the Saiyan Whelp.

however, there's not a lot of martial skill in this build : Spriggan 5+2 / Monk 1 / Spellfire channeler 3 / legacy champion 9 (Spellfire channeler +7)

So I think this should be used as the first part of a gestalt character - this build would be innate Saiyan power, while a 2nd part would be monk/fighter/swordsage for martial skills.
    here is my Signature stuff

27. - Top - End - #117

I remember Kakorotto. He definitely needs some work, though.

Not even necessarily gestalt. Just find a way to give him big, at-will blasts (Spellfire Wielder isn't too good for this and doesn't really fit function-wise, so maybe a supercharged Warlock?) while also making him, more importantly, a physically competent fighter. Unarmed, too. Tough.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

I remember Kakorotto. He definitely needs some work, though.

Not even necessarily gestalt. Just find a way to give him big, at-will blasts (Spellfire Wielder isn't too good for this and doesn't really fit function-wise, so maybe a supercharged Warlock?) while also making him, more importantly, a physically competent fighter. Unarmed, too. Tough.
    Actually, there are at least two ways it could be done... the spell Blood Wind, and the feat Ring the Gold Bell...

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #119

Actually, there are at least two ways it could be done... the spell Blood Wind, and the feat Ring the Gold Bell...
    By tough I meant the character, not the rules-finangling. And I don't think either of those options work particularly well, since they're vary short-ranged and are temporary effects (or, in the case of Ring the Golden Bell, extremely limited in uses/day).

By contrast, a Warlock gets flight. He gets high-damage blasts to throw at enemies, can deflect ranged attacks, and can boost his own armour with shadows (or light, as per a saiyan form). He can fire off a huge blast of enemy at all targets in a line (a Kamehameha), or can obliterate everyone in an area (a Spirit Bomb). With dragon magazine content, you can get the claw shape and tear enemies to shreds with a reflavoured unarmed strike. It seems like a great fit.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

By tough I meant the character, not the rules-finangling. And I don't think either of those options work particularly well, since they're vary short-ranged and are temporary effects (or, in the case of Ring the Golden Bell, extremely limited in uses/day).

By contrast, a Warlock gets flight. He gets high-damage blasts to throw at enemies, can deflect ranged attacks, and can boost his own armour with shadows (or light, as per a saiyan form). He can fire off a huge blast of enemy at all targets in a line (a Kamehameha), or can obliterate everyone in an area (a Spirit Bomb). With dragon magazine content, you can get the claw shape and tear enemies to shreds with a reflavoured unarmed strike. It seems like a great fit.
    Yeah... Warlock seems pretty sweet. Flavor's a bit of a problem, though.

Extended sig here.