New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Classes with the most awesome Class Features? [Barring Spellcasting]

Barring Spellcasting (No pointy sticks, please), which classes would you say give the most awesome class features? I'm including PrCs for this. If the PrC or class provides Spellcasting or the usual +1 we see in PrCs, then GG, but that's not what I'm after here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Classes with the most awesome Class Features? [Barring Spellcasting]

Chameleon is pretty cool. Base classes... I'm personally a fan of Scout for they highly varied set of abilities (which, unlike a Monk's, are actually synergetic).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Classes with the most awesome Class Features? [Barring Spellcasting]

Truenamer 20. Every time someone says your truename, you can teleport to them.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Manifesting

I've always been a fan of unique capstone abilities - I quite like Walker in the Waste's "Dry Lich" and Psion Uncarnate's "Uncarnate".
    Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    If you glue a dagger to your opponent's double weapon, do they lose the benefit of Revenant blade since they are now wielding a triple bladed weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by the secret fire View Post
    As DM, I have a strict policy requiring that all intra-party marriages be consummated.
    The Latte-Lock, a less cheesy version of the Coffeelock

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, non-spell magic systems are always fun. Invokers, meldshapers, binders...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's see...
    People often have to hum and haw over whether they want a Swiftblade's abilities or full casting, so there's that. Though it advances casting.
    Nothing else comes to mind off the top of my head. Time to dive into some books.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Factotum as a whole gets awesome stuff.

Dread Necromancer gains lichdom a phylactery and the undead type no, full lichdom a cool capstone, regardless of the specifics.

Archivist gets the very fun Dark Knowledge abilities. "Guys! Poke the dragon in their belly for MASSIVE DAMAGE!" At mid-levels, the DC for the check is rather trivial. Also stacks nicely with Knowledge Devotion.

Annoying as it can be, Monks getting a non-trivial, scaling spell resistance, in low to medium op games is pretty sweet. Sure, I can't be easily buffed in combat, but ignoring a lot of debilitating spells, especially ones with no save, can be very nice, sometimes.

Frenzied Berserker's Deathless Frenzy is hilarity just for the stories after using it. "Yeah, I forget how many negative hundreds I was at by the end of the fight. All I know is that the Cleric was pissed about the amount of spells that he had to convert to Heal to prevent me from dying. It was at least four, and I was still unconscious after the fact."

ToB classes and Maneuvers, since they're totally not spells.

Druid wildshape is always fun. Sure, spells are more optimal, but "Screw you, I'm a bear" is so much more satisfying sometimes.

Dread Witch's Greater Master of Terror is also fun. Making enemy Paladins cower in terror is quite amusing when playing a villain.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mind if I take this at a tangent a little?

Pale Master gets some interesting immunities, so you can look at that.
    Earth Sight from Earth Dreamer is fun.
    Shadow Pounce? Room for plenty o' abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Eh, non-spell magic systems are always fun. Invokers, meldshapers, binders...
    Mind elaborating ever so slightly?
    Last edited by Sandsarecool; 2016-10-27 at 09:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure, what would you like elaborating on?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Classes with the most awesome Class Features? [Barring Spellcasting]

I have to second Shadow Pounce. Such a ridiculous ability!

Also Sentinel of Bharrai has Cavalry of Dire Bears 1/week.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well... telflammar shadowlord, swiftblade, arcane duelist, scarlet corsair, psychic weapon master, war hulk, legacy champion (and some other dudes I know I forget) are pretty neat for the unique things each brings.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I like Geomancer, Geometer, Runesmith, Incantatrix, Dweomerkeeper, Halruaan Elder, Shadowcraft Mage... anything that manipulates magic.

On top, though, for the same reason? StP erudite, artificer, Mind Mage. And I second fourth Telflammar Shadowlord; Shadowpounce is amazing.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2016-10-27 at 05:07 PM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spellblast, Eldritch Spellweave, and Greatreach Blast, all from Eldritch Theurge, are pretty damn sweet.

14. - Top - End - #14

Warshaper - immune to critical hits whenever you're not yourself

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Anything with Wild Shape
    Ditto Animal Companion/Familiar/Cohort
    Bear Warrior
    Monk :(
    Warlock
    Duskblade
    Factotum
    Bard
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Alright, let's do this.
    So the necessary skillset for a modern Major-General is Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (History), Profession (Mathematician), Profession (Siege Engineer), Perform (oratory), Perform (singing), Perform (whistling), Speak Language, and Ride, as well as a solid baseline Intelligence score
    PM me for any games in the Toledo area!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Black Flame Zealots ability disintegrate people with sneak attacks is pretty hot.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

I've always been enamored by Elocater's 'Scorn Earth' feature.... and 'Flanker'... and 'Capricious Step'. But especially Scorn Earth. Sadly, every time I've set out to play one the campaign didn't get off the ground.

(Also, Scorn Earth always makes me think of Candle Jack)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Eidolon and Eidoloncer are awesome. You get a bunch of cool ghost abilities to tack onto your LA+0 Ghost template from the Ghostwalk Campaign Option book.

Meldshapers have so much variance even from round to round that it really spices up combat. Necrocarnum Circlet makes for a semi-mundane necromancer. And the Necrocarnate gets my props for unlimited powah via the souls of your enemies.

Also, I've seen what happens when you let a Factotum with Iaijutsu Focus take Font Of Inspiration for nearly all his feats...
    WotC D&D 3.5 Web Enhancements, Adventures, and Other Content:

Lists of Nice Potions and Fantastic Alchemical Items for your PC:

Random really cool stuff:

19. - Top - End - #19

D&D 3.5's Factotum
    Pathfinder's Inquisitor has some awesome class features
    Drop Dead Studio's Hedgewitch doesn't so much as have awesome abilities but by its nature, you can choose it's class features.
    Dreamscarred Press's Soulknife has some very awesome blade skills.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Bane of Infidels (MotW 46) is terrible, but so nifty in my opinion.

Level 1: cause a religious follower to Rage.
    Level 2: create a hearth with Zone of Truth anywhere.
    Level 2: sacrifice heretics (or followers!) on your hearth for bonuses.
    Level 3: intuit what foreign places of sacrifice require and what boon they grant.
    Level 4: know whether your loyal subjects have doubts about the Supreme Leader. Purge the heretics.
    Level 6: create a 60'+ tall wicker man that sucks in all nearby foes, and then sets them on fire.
    Level 9: mass Rage.
    Level 10: MASS SACRIFICE

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Really, no mention of Bloodstorm Blade? Even with their "normal" effects, Returning Attacks, Thunderous Throw, Lightning Ricochet, Bloodwind Ricochet, and Blade Storm are pretty awesome. Then you add their Op-fu potential, especially Thunderous Throw, and it gets ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Eternal Blade10's Island in Time.

Ruby Knight Vindicator7's Divine Impetus (assuming use is a free/non action)
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

As others have already pointed out: Swiftblade for timestop cheese and undispelable hast/diplacement/blink.

Void Disciple: Moment of Clarity
    Give an ally a temporary feat (only ancestor feats are restricted)

Master of Many Forms:
    Very flexible, even if it loses some of it's spellcasting power.

Blood Magus:
    So much blood fueled fluff in here it is unbelievable. Scribe Scrolls on your skin, brew potions in your blood, Bloodwalk thru your enemies bodies. He can even share his Blood Potions with someone else which is imho the most awesome ability fluff wise.
    Imho the perfect evil caster which will annoy your players even after killing him, cause they can't loot his remaining spell scrolls and potions. Give him a lil undead army with chain spell gr. magical Weapon and your BBEG is set for some action.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Illithid Savant, Acquire Special Attack or Special Quality (Ex).
    Barring Spellcasting, this shiet still rocks, kind of like Assumed Supernatural Ability on shrooms.
    When there's doubt, Wizard.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Hathran 5 = Cleric with circle magic @L12, just in time for Holy Word @L13.

Strike from the Void (Iajutsu Master 5) = Chr to damage 9 times (some limitations apply). An uberdamager which is not an ubercharger.

Inspired Fight(Heartfire Fanner 1,3,5) = bardic music grants 1 to 3 feats to an ally from those you know or _any_ fighter feat (there are hundreds).

Construct Perfection(Warforged Juggernaut 2-5) + Shake It Off(Pugilist 1)= Immunity to all damage, all drain, Mind-affecting effects + Death effects + Necromancy.

26. - Top - End - #26

Sadly, one of my all time favorites, the Jester from the Dragon Mag (and Compendium), is disqualified from the discussion for having Bard casting. Even more disappointing for me that it disqualifies my favorite PrC, the Swiftblade.

But it sorta makes me realize that I really like gish type characters.
    Currently Playing:
    -

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiindeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Bind Vestige <3
    Pew pew

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I like Duskblades 1-20, simple to the point fun build, also tempest or Storm Lord can be fun with the right base classes behind them:)

29. - Top - End - #29

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CaPtMalHammer View Post
    I like Duskblades 1-20, simple to the point fun build, also tempest or Storm Lord can be fun with the right base classes behind them:)
    This reminds me.

With Stormsinger instead you can literally do this.

Most metal class ever!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

The first few levels of Knight actually give a focused but effective protecter/BFC beginning. As few as 3 or as many as 6 work well, and they pair oh so nicely with Crusader. A PrC that's absolutely perfect for this concept is Devoted Defender. It gives all of its class features in 3 levels, the rest is just bonuses to them so you can leave.

I think Savant's skill assistance is very nice, 4 levels and you can Hide and MS for the whole party!
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards