New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61

Default Re: Roll of the Crimson Scroll

Night falls quickly in the wild and soon it is dark. Only a few small fires are lit between the wagons and a hearty stew is severed. A couple folks pitch tents, some sleep on or in the wagons, but most just lay out on the ground.

Only ten guards stay up after sunset.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Norum sets up his tent, and dismisses his mount (as discretely as possible). He sets up his alarm, refreshes his spells and gets his sleep as early as possible. He spends most of the night with the guards- "Oh, don't worry about me. I find I need much less sleep than most folk." He'll make conversation if approached, but he's also happy to spend the night in quiet contemplation.

3. - Top - End - #63

Most everyone goes to sleep at sunset, other then the couple of guards.

A couple of hours before dawn Floki Betilsen comes over "Good to see your awake. Toar, my hawk, spotted a group of trolls in a depression ahead. If they don't know we are here, they will spot us no problem in the daylight. I think it would be a good idea to take them out before morning.

You said you were some type of magic user, right? Any chance you'd have some fire spells or other useful magic. ?

4. - Top - End - #64

BlueKnightGuy

'Nosif' gives a small smile. "No I don't think I did, though I'm not surprised if word has spread through the camp. I'll have to be more discrete when we reach Thay."

"But to answer your questions, no on both counts. My fire magic is low grade. I can mop up if we take them down but I don't have fireworks of the kind that can take out a group of trolls.

And I don't think a night fight is the right choice. Most of us are human and can't see in the dark.

But perhaps I have enough magic to help you lead the trolls away from the camp. What would you think of that?"

5. - Top - End - #65

Floki Betilsen "Leading the trolls away and keeping them alive, is just risking having them come back and attack us. I think killing them would be the best. Fighting in the dark is not ideal, but it's better then having them attack the wagons.

If you want to stay back here with the wagons, that is fine too."

6. - Top - End - #66

BlueKnightGuy

Morum raises both hands in a gesture of appeasement. "Forgive me. You misunderstand; I'm not suggesting keeping them alive. I'm suggesting attacking in daylight, with a full compliment of soldiers." Norum gives Floki a hard look. "Or do you think prudence is not the better part of valor?"

"How many trolls are we talking about?"

"Let's wake Riskyr and Ashana, plus that warrior Alessandra; they all look like they can handle themselves. Wake any of the other guards you think could be of help. If we have to attack tonight, I'd like to have a plan."

"I have magic ready that can help light the battlefield. Beyond that, I may be able to help create some cover, but like I said, no fireworks."
    Last edited by jscape2000; 2016-11-19 at 10:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

Floki Betilsen "It's just nine trolls. They could be a scout group or they could just be a couple out hunting or whatever. Still best to get rid of them...they are too close. "

He takes a step closer.

"And look, almost all the guards need to stay with the wagons. That is how it works. And, honestly, most are not all that great in a fight anyway....they are little more then claw stoppers.

To wake everyone up will take time...and worse once all the wagon masters are awake they might have some really bad and dumb orders. Most of the time it is really best to keep them in the dark. We do our job, but we don't need them small pointing every little thing.

I already sent someone to wake up Alessandra Fiore, I know she can fight...but the other two, not so much.

If you can make daylight, that would be a big help..and cover would work great as we might be able to pick some off with arrows."

8. - Top - End - #68

BlueKnightGuy

Norum scoffs. "You said nine? That's about eight and a half more than I want to be tasked bringing down. You and Alessandra had better be the most lethal caravan guards I've ever seen in my life if you plan to take down nine trolls."

Norum considers the second part of the ranger's statement. "All the same, I think the other two may have more to offer than you're giving them credit for. If nothing else, they can contribute a few arrows. It'll be worth the five minutes it takes to rouse them; I'll get Riskyer, and you wake Ashanna. Where should we meet you?"

9. - Top - End - #69

Floki Betilsen "Well, I do have a flaming bow and I know a lot about killing trolls. And Alessandra has flaming oil for her axe.

All right. Meet over at the front of the caravan by the first wagon."

10. - Top - End - #70

BlueKnightGuy

"Ah!" Norum claps the ranger on the shoulder. "Why didn't you say that sooner? We have a plan then!" Norum gives Floki a grin and ducks into his tent to grab his gear.

He walks over to where Riskyer is sleeping and gives the cat-woman a shake. "Riskyr, wake up. There are trolls about. A few of us are going to head them off. Are you ready for a fight?"

11. - Top - End - #71

Riskyr Eshka'lya wakes up quickly and gets ready, "Trolls? Let's go get them."

12. - Top - End - #72

BlueKnightGuy

As we head over to the first wagon Norum stops at one of the guards who'd been sitting with him.

We're headed out to investigate a group of trolls Floki has spotted. He thinks it's nothing to worry the caravan about. You watch the horizon and if you see four orbs of light spinning in the air you wake everyone and get into a defensive position. See you soon

With that Norum leads Ryakyr to the rendezvous point.

13. - Top - End - #73

The guard listens and nods yes.

Floki Betilsen is waiting with five of the warrior guards and Alessandra Fiore. "So my idea of a plan is to attack from two sides. Have three guards approach from the south and make some noise. And Alessandra and the two other guards approach from the north. I'll be off the middle with Riskyr, shooting arrows at any clear target. We should be able to split them up and hack them apart and burn them.

Were do you think you will fit in Nosif?"

14. - Top - End - #74

BlueKnightGuy

Norum considers the plan.

I'll be overhead. I have magic that can illuminate a section of the battlefield. I'll drop that on the trolls at the start so you have clear targets. I know a spell that will create a bank of toxic fumes. Hopefully that will debilitate a few of them at the start, though trolls are tough so I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

If the trolls split I can only keep the light on one group. I'll follow the larger group, unless you'd prefer a different approach.

If you don't have fire call for me when you down a troll. I have an acid spell. It's not much as a weapon on its own but it'll help you hack them apart. I also have a way to help quickly get a fire started.

15. - Top - End - #75

Floki Betilsen "We got plenty of oil and even some alchemist fire. A spell that can light the oil might come in useful. But we need to hack them apart first, then burn them.

Otherwise, everything sounds good...lets move out."

16. - Top - End - #76

BlueKnightGuy

Norum nods agreement and falls in with the others.

Once everyone is in position I'll cast invisibility on myself then fly. My plan is to get in position about 60 feet overhead. Surprise round cast stinking cloud. First full round cast dancing lights. Use my move action each round to weave around the area.

If there are any casters I'll keep them at the center of the dancing lights otherwise just follow the biggest group.

Spoiler: checks
    Show

Initiative (1d20+8)[9]
    Knowledge arcana (1d20+14)[25]
    Knowledge nature (anything else of note about the trolls)
    (1d20+14)[26]

17. - Top - End - #77

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show

Arcane- from teacher Azura's spell tactics class:

Using invisibility is just wasting the spell as it will end as soon as you cast stinking cloud and you don't overly need it anyway as it is dark. While trolls do have darkvision, they would still have to look 60 feet up...

Trolls-Trolls have no fear of death: They launch themselves into combat without hesitation, flailing wildly at the closest opponent. Trolls are single-minded berserkers in combat. They attack the nearest foe without hesitation and don’t stop until that foe is down. They love to rip apart foes with their teeth and claws so rarely use weapons. Some might use clubs or a captured weapon, but that is rare. They all most never have any sort o missile weapons, other then a club or two or rocks.

Flying forward you find the trolls easy enough by following the directions. Nine trolls are laying out in a large depression, all asleep, all with in 20 or so feet o each other...more or less in a big troll pile.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

As they are asleep, and your in the air 60 eet above them making no noise...you get a surprise attack no problem...

The stinking cloud covers all the trolls....

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+11)[26]
    (1d20+11)[15]
    (1d20+11)[13]
    (1d20+11)[17]
    (1d20+11)[30]
    (1d20+11)[23]
    (1d20+11)[16]
    (1d20+11)[22]
    (1d20+11)[30]

All the trolls wake up...and four get nauseated.

Spoiler: Sheet
    Show
    Might be helpful to do ''memorized'' and ''in spell book'' sections on your character sheet....
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2016-11-23 at 12:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

BlueKnightGuy

Show

Ah I was thinking the invisibility would hold through the stinking cloud. Thanks for the clarification.

As a diviner I always get to act in the surprise round.

On my character sheet spell book is third page and memorized is page one under feets and special abilities. I'm marking an x once cast. Is that ok?

Once Norum can cast again he'll cast dancing light (the four torches version).

Centered on the troll pile.
    Last edited by jscape2000; 2016-11-23 at 07:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

As the dancing lights appear, the two groups move forward to launch missile attacks at the trolls that are not nauseated. A couple trolls are wounded,

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+11)[21]
    (1d20+11)[27]
    (1d20+11)[30]
    (1d20+11)[28]
    (1d20+11)[29]

Then the trolls rush to attack

20. - Top - End - #80

BlueKnightGuy

When the trolls take off towards his allies, Norum calls out in orc then in common
    Cowards stand and face me!

Show

It should be no problem to keep up with the trolls with both flight and the dancing lights. If the trolls spread out farther than the fifty plus feet of light the spell creates, then I'll have the light follow the larger group.

If the are out of dancing light range let me know. Might be worth casting light.

Then he casts magic missile at whichever troll is closest to the humans.

(3d4+3)[10]

21. - Top - End - #81

Norum's magic missile hits a troll right in the head and it does not even seem to notice...but still takes the wound.

Floki and Riskyr shoot flaming arrows and a blot of fire badly wounding a troll.

The five trolls, in a group of three and two, move out of the stinking cloud.

From the other side, Alessandra Fiore charges in with her flaming axe hacking into a troll. The couple of guards attack, but don't do much.

The three trolls move forward and in a couple of claw strikes down three guards. The other two, including the badly burnt one move towards Floki and Riskyr.

22. - Top - End - #82

BlueKnightGuy

Norum watches the guards fall and curses.

If he can make it to Ryskyr he'll fly to her and use the arcane bond in his bracer to cast fly, and if possible get back to altitude and shout some instructions.

If that's too far to cover this round he'll move as far as he can and throw an acid splash at the burnt troll.

Spoiler: acid splash
    Show

Ranged touch (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage (1d3)[3]

23. - Top - End - #83

As you were above in the middle of the battle, you can fly the thirty feet over and touch Ryskyr. But not move any more after that.

24. - Top - End - #84

BlueKnightGuy

That's what I'll do.

Ryskyr, have you ever flown before? Norum asks with a grin. Altitude is the best cure for troll claws. Keep hitting them with fire.

Show
    I guess the piece of info I'm missing is total size of the battlefield. I have a mental image of our group split up on two sides of the trolls, but I don't know how big a circle we've made.

Planning for next round: Do the fallen guards have oil or alchemist's fire anywhere visible on them? Are they dead, dying or just down?

25. - Top - End - #85

The trolls started out in the 'middle' of the 60 foot cloud, and some are still in it. The attackers, in two groups are at the edges of the cloud, about 30 feet from the middle. (they need to be close to used the within 30 abilities).

Riskyr Eshka'lya "I have not flown before"
    Last edited by Darth Ultron; 2016-11-28 at 08:52 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

BlueKnightGuy

"It's a spell of concentration. Imagine yourself moving the direction you want to go, and the magic will take care of the rest. Be cautious- you climb more slowly than you descend. Probably best to avoid any acrobatics for now."

Ok. Should be a 40' cloud, but I get the picture. The one dancing lights spell (four lights in a circle 10' diameter) should illuminate a circle of 50' diameter in "normal" light, with another 20' each direction in "dim" light. With my range at 150', I should be able to move anywhere in the battlefield without needing to move the lights or worry about them going out.

27. - Top - End - #87

Riskyr Eshka'lya floats upwards and flies unsteadily.

Show

40 foot cloud is right....as the trolls moved 30 feet and got out of the cloud in one round.

28. - Top - End - #88

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: next round
    Show
    Great. I think I'm waiting for everyone else to act?

Assuming the trolls can't get to me before my turn, my plan is to gain altitude and try to see if any of the fallen guards have oil or alchemist's fire readily visible that I could get to and use as missile weapons. If any of them are down but alive and light enough for me to carry (<=210lbs) I would also consider flying them to safety and trying to stabilize.

Probably need a Perception check? (1d20+5)[13] Let me know if you want me to roll something else.

If the trolls are still threatening the areas where the downed guards, my backup plan is just acid splash on the most wounded seeming troll: Ranged touch (1d20+4)[9] Damage (1d3)[1]

29. - Top - End - #89

The two guards with Floki Betilsen shoot and hit the burned, wounded troll and it falls to the ground. Floki Betilsen and Riskyr Eshka'lya hit and burn two of the other trolls. On the other side of the battle, Alessandra Fiore hacks a troll apart with her flaming axe.

The two trolls rush at Floki and he takes a couple hits, but not too bad. The three trolls on the other side all rush Alessandra Fiore and she takes a could claw strikes, but it does not seem to effect her much.

Each of the three down guards has three flasks of oil and one bag of alchemist fire strapped around their chestplates, so they are easy enough to see. The guards are adults in chain mail, so they might be a bit heavy...

30. - Top - End - #90

BlueKnightGuy

While the trolls are distracted attacking our warriors, Norum flies for ones of the downed guards while drawing a dagger. He cuts the guard's bandoleer with the oil and alchemist's fire off the guard's chest.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

So that's a move action of maybe 20 feet to get to the downed guard, and then (I assume) a standard action to get the bandoleer loose. Even though I've got 40ish feet of move left, am I right that I can't use it to fly up this round, since I don't have Flyby Attack or similar feats?

A 5' step is usually a free action; can I 5' step up?

A fly check, in case you want it: Fly (1d20+10)[13]

Plan for next round is to throw alchemist's fire at whichever group of trolls seems to be least hurt.