New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91

Default Re: Roll of the Crimson Scroll

You fly down and cut free the strap and even fly back up five feet.....no troll notices you

Floki Betilsen drops his bow, draws his sword and cuts into the troll in front of him.....

Riskyr Eshka'lya shoots fire at the other troll, and the two guards shoot that troll too.

On the other side of the battle, Alessandra Fiore hacks a troll apart with her flaming axe. The two trolls on the other side all rush Alessandra Fiore and she takes a couple claw strikes, getting a bit hurt.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Norum flies up and towards the trolls attacking Alessandra. When he's roughly 20' off the ground and above one of the trolls he drops the alchemist's fire on the monster.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Ranged touch: (1d20+4)[14]
    Damage (I hope): (1d6)[3]

3. - Top - End - #93

Norum's throw is off and the alchemal fire bag misses the troll and explodes near it, burning the troll a bit.

Floki Betilsen cuts into the troll in front of him

Riskyr Eshka'lya shoots fire at the other troll, and the two guards shoot that troll too, dropping that troll.

Alessandra Fiore hacks into troll apart with her flaming axe. The two trolls attack back Alessandra Fiore and she takes a couple claw strikes, getting a bit hurt.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

note alchemist fire has a range of 10 feet, so -2 per 10 feet, or -4 for 20 feet.....you'd only have a 10 to hit.

4. - Top - End - #94

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: alchemist's fire
    Show

I was imagining my 5' graph paper. At 20' off the ground, it would be 10 feet to the troll (large). The weapon range is 10' which means no penalty on a throw of 10' or less, -2 on 11-20, -4 on 21-30. Even if it's 15 feet, it's only a -2, giving Norum a 12.

I hadn't looked up trolls in the SRD, so I had no idea what hit or not.

Don't want to be semantic about the rules, just explaining my thinking. If you want to rule it a miss, that's fine.

Norum continues to try to help Alessandra, this time throwing oil at the same troll he'd dropped the alchemist's fire on.

Show

If Norum manages to hit with the oil and it doesn't catch from the alchemist's fire around already, then next round he'll try to light it with Spark.

ranged touch: (1d20+4)[5]

5. - Top - End - #95

BlueKnightGuy

Show
    The dice hate me.

6. - Top - End - #96

Show

Yea, I was just going with the 20 feet off the ground....so you would hit then.

The sack of oil covers some grass.

Floki Betilsen drops his troll. Leaving no trolls on his side any more.

The two guards shoot at some of the trolls in the cloud.

Riskyr Eshka'lya flies over and shoots one of the trolls by Alessandra Fiore.

Alessandra Fiore swings and misses...a troll claws into her and she stumbles with the wound.

7. - Top - End - #97

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Alchemist's fire
    Show
    Does (1d6)[4] damage on its second round.

Cursing himself for fumbling one of the flasks of oil, Norum shouts at the guards firing arrows into the stinking cloud.

"We can deal with the nauseous trolls when the situation out here is under control! Help Alessandra!"

He extends a palm towards the closest troll and speaks a word of power.

Spoiler: Acid Splash
    Show

Ranged touch (1d20+2)[11]
    damage if needed (1d3)[2]

8. - Top - End - #98

Your splash of acid...just barley hits a troll, and burns/melts some hair off it's back.

Floki Betilsen picks up his bow and shoots one of the trolls with a flaming arrow. Both guards shoot and miss.

Riskyr Eshka'lya shoots more flames, but misses.

Alessandra Fiore hacks into the wounded troll, cutting deep, but the troll does not fall.

Both trolls miss Alessandra....

9. - Top - End - #99

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Downed guards
    Show

I don't think I ever got an answer about the downed guards: do any seem in danger of bleeding out?

Norum makes a mental note to use his pay from this endeavor to buy some scrolls with powerful offensive spells on them. Fireballs, lightning bolts, scorching rays, sonic lances...

And he flings another ineffective acid orb at the troll.

Spoiler: roll
    Show

ranged touch (1d20+2)[21]
    damage if needed (1d3)[1]

10. - Top - End - #100

The guards are on the ground, unconscious and not moving.

Show

It's just about impossible to tell how wounded someone is from a distance and without a heal skill check.

Norum acid hits the troll...and burns/melts it's toe.

Floki Betilsen shoots his bow at one of the trolls and drops it to a pile of flaming flesh. Both guards shoot and miss.

Riskyr Eshka'lya shoots more flames and hits the last troll...then Alessandra Fiore hits and hacks it apart.

11. - Top - End - #101

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Heal check
    Show

To decide which guard to go to first: (1d20+0)[2]
    To stabilize: (1d20+0)[14]

Norum flies down to the downed guards, going first to whomever seems worse off, and tries to perform what little first aid he knows.

Spoiler: alternatively
    Show

If both guards are already dead or already stable, then he'll gather up the rest of the oil and alchemist's fire and go check on the other trolls, using the oil and spark to finish off any that seem to still be twitching.

12. - Top - End - #102

Both guards are dead....but there are plenty of live troll parts around.

Floki, the other guards and Riskyr fire at the trolls in the cloud.

Alessandra Fiore drinks a potion of healing

13. - Top - End - #103

BlueKnightGuy

Norum takes the remaining oil and alchemist's fire from the fallen guards.

Then he begins to make his way around the battlefield, acid splashing any troll parts that look like they're still twitching. He keeps an eye on the trolls in the stinking cloud; if they begin to move out of the cloud, he'll fly up and out of reach.

Spoiler: bookkeeping
    Show
    So that's two flasks of oil and one alchemist fire?

14. - Top - End - #104

Show

Yes

Floki Betilsen, Riskyr Eshka'lya and the guards shoot at the trolls in the cloud.

15. - Top - End - #105

BlueKnightGuy

Norum continues to makes his way around the battlefield, using acid to finish off troll bits. If everything seems under control outside of the stinking cloud, then he'll add his acid splashes to the barrage going into the cloud by hovering above his target.

Spoiler: rolls if needed
    Show

ranged touch (1d20+2)[9]
    damage (1d3)[3]

16. - Top - End - #106

It only takes another minute for the other trolls to fall.

Floki Betilsen "Can you get rid of the cloud?"

Alessandra Fiore also moves about and burns any troll bits she can find.

17. - Top - End - #107

BlueKnightGuy

"I can dismiss it, but the trolls will only stay staggered for a few seconds once it's gone. I'm honestly surprised they haven't charged out of it yet..."

Norum floats back and up, so that Floki is between him and the stinking cloud. He calls out to the assembled warriors: "Everyone ready?"

When he has a positive response from everyone, he dismisses the stinking cloud.

18. - Top - End - #108

Alessandra Fiore charges right in and swings her axe and cuts a troll in half.

Riskyr Eshka'lya shoots more flames burning a troll and Floki Betilsen finishes it off with a flaming arrow.

The guards miss.

The two trolls left say nauseated....

19. - Top - End - #109

BlueKnightGuy

Norum floats forward (about 20' off the ground still) and drops another acid splash on the nearest troll.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Ranged touch (1d20+2)[9]
    Damage (1d3)[2]

20. - Top - End - #110

The next round sees the last of the trolls fall. Then everyone covers the body parts in oil and sets them on fire.

Floki Betilsen and the remaing guards bury the dead guards.

21. - Top - End - #111

BlueKnightGuy

Norum watches the burial of the guards with studied indifference. Quietly, he is seething at Floki for getting good men killed to defeat a band of trolls who turned out to be sleeping. Norum doesn't care about the dead men as people, but they wasted valuable resources- the men, his day's compliment of major spells- on a fight that might have been entirely avoided. He doesn't claim to be an expert on trolls, so perhaps the ranger's plan was the right one, but Norum's first instinct is always to avoid combat unless he has control of every variable.

Norum approaches Alessandra. "I'm impressed with your work. I suspect we all might have been killed without your axe. Where'd you learn to fight?"

22. - Top - End - #112

Alessandra Fiore "I am warrior born. I am from the tribe of the bear. I have fought from the day I could hold a weapon. I don't care much for magic, but your stinky cloud was useful."

Floki Betilsen finishes his grim task "We should get back to the caravan, it will be dawn soon."

23. - Top - End - #113

BlueKnightGuy

Norum nods his polite assent to Alessandra's assessment. "My parents were both wizards. I wish they had drilled me in magic as yours must have drilled you in swordwork. Good morning."

He grunts agreement with Floki. "And our guard will need to be twice as sharp considering we're down men and spent no small amount of energy in this battle."

Norum walks briskly away from the ranger, seeking out Riskyr. "Tell me about those flaming bolts. Quite the useful turn."

Spoiler: Dead guards
    Show
    Meant to ask before- which merchants did the dead guards work for?

24. - Top - End - #114

Riskyr Eshka'lya "I have a bit of fey blood. From some Domovoi. Several centuries ago my family protected some domoyoi. And as a reward they put a little fire in our blood."

Floki Betilsen just shrugs.

The dead guards worked for Caelium Sosos,.

25. - Top - End - #115

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show

What do I know of the Domovoi? Knowledge Arcane? (1d20+14)[22] or would it be Nature? same modifier.
    Out of character this strikes me as an incredibly rare gift, bordering on unique. What's Norum's impression; Knowledge Arcane (1d20+14)[27]

"Quite the gift to have stayed in your family so long."

Norum heads back to camp. If the sun is coming up, he packs up his tent and preps for the road.

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+0)[18]
    Does Bartlesby strike me as the type who'll care deeply about our little night-time raid? Or will he be indifferent so long as his goods and men are safe?
    I'll tell him about it whenever we speak, but my impression will determine how directly I seek him out this morning.

26. - Top - End - #116

Spoiler: Knowaadge
    Show

Domovoi-These sometimes-helpful fey creatures bind themselves to rural families and live among them. They are fastidious spirits who keep the house clean and tidy, helping with the chores. They are also keepers of the hearth, ensuring that fires burn long and hot. As fire based fey, they are very welcome in Thay, and found in great numbers...but are also found in surrounding lands.

Arcane- Riskyr Eshka'lya sounds like she might have the Fire element Eldritch Heritage, a bit of ''firey fey blood''

Spoiler: Sense
    Show

Matthias Bartlesby seems to be more indifferent...a true merchant type.

Riskyr Eshka'lya "Not all of my family has it...it comes and goes.

27. - Top - End - #117

BlueKnightGuy

Norum packs up his gear, casts Extended Mount as discretely as possible and gets ready for the day ahead. He'll avoid small talk, but he's willing to talk with anyone who has an issue of substance to discuss. He generally tries to be helpful if he thinks he can- participate in scouting, advice on herbal cures for saddle sores, anything like that. If anyone has current political or social news from Thay, he'll want to listen in on that conversation and ask questions concerning Marcum and Walborin.

28. - Top - End - #118

It's a slow and mostly quiet day. The news of the guards deaths spreads fast and makes everyone fell a bit of the loss. No one talks much. Nothing approaches the caravan and it is simply a slow day of travel. Until just before sunset, when the caravan stops an forms a circle.

29. - Top - End - #119

BlueKnightGuy

Norum pitches his tent and grabs whatever dinner is available. He retreats to his tent to restore his spells and rest. Then he comes out to pass the night with the guards.

30. - Top - End - #120

The night is mostly quiet.

A couple of guards spot a couple of goblins lurking nearby, but a couple arrows takes out a few sends them running off.

Morning comes and the caravan moves onward.