New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181

Default Re: Roll of the Crimson Scroll

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show
    Religion: Thoth is the scribe and historian of the Mulhorandi pantheon. Also known by the names Tholaunt in Thay and Thalatos in Unther, Thoth is an intellectual deity known for academic debate and innovation.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

A thought clicks in Norum's head- Tholaunt, Thoth; the scribe of Mulhorand, the ancient enemies of Thay.

Is this a trick? a trap?

He speak up. "Can you tell me about this Okibi? Why is he attacking us? Why the wall of fire? Just to force me to exhaust my limited supply of spells?"

3. - Top - End - #183

Tholaunt "He is far from the brightest flame in the fire. There is not much to his plan, he wants all the goods in the wagons. Then he will sell them to make money. His only worry is that this caravan might have another Red Wizard in it, as he wishes to avoid that complication. The wall of fire was meant to draw one out, if they were there. None were around, but you dispelled the wall, so you became his first target. Then he moves in with his forces. Simple enough plan. "

4. - Top - End - #184

BlueKnightGuy

Norum scratches at the stubble on his chin.

"Pretending to be a Red Wizard is punishable by death. But getting eaten by a Red Wizard's firebat is just more of the same. Maybe I could trick him into thinking we work for a Red Wizard?" Norum grimaces at the conundrum.

Norum looks around the physical area- he takes in the sand and the purple sky. He reaches a hand towards the crystal containing the firebat but stops short of touching it. "What is this place? Are we still in Thay, in some sort of time lock or stasis? Or have you transported me to some alternate plane?"
    Last edited by jscape2000; 2017-01-01 at 09:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185

Tholaunt "It was not me. I just took advantage of the occurrence. Knowledge is power and all that.

The firebat is an extraplanual creature on Toril and so it as a tiny link to it's home plane. The link is mostly a like a trail of smoke....but every so often it is like a stretched band of rubber. And when it snaps the firebat and anyone attached go to it's home plane.

That is here The Everfire. Or Plane of Elemental Fire.

The Diamond Drop is another rare occurrence, a hazard around here. The Everflame makes crystals and diamonds....a lot like volcanoes do back on Toril. And an unlucky creature might get caught in one.

6. - Top - End - #186

BlueKnightGuy

"So the summon spell expired, and I was dragged here by the creature... I am grateful that you stepped in. If what I remember of my studies is correct, I wouldn't survive more than a few moments on this plane."

"But that also means time is passing on Toril. Is there a way for me to follow that 'trail of smoke' back again? If Okibi kills the others before I return, your intervention will have been wasted for them."

"In a battle though, I am thoroughly outclassed. For the last few years I have depended on my companions for the real dirty work. I contributed recon and support, not muscle." Norum spreads his hands in a gesture of surrender. "You know how little I have to offer, but I would be a fool not to ask- is there some service I could give in exchange for a crumb of the knowledge at your disposal- spells or caches of enchanted weapons or the weaknesses of whomever holds my sister?"

7. - Top - End - #187

Tholaunt"Well, I did noting...really." as he looks around.

"It is just chance that you ended up on an earthmote here close to the Ashmoot, The Quasi-Elemental Plane of Ash, that just happened to be not to hot or cold....oh, and has a sphere of air around it.

You can't follow the same trail...the firebat is home, this is where it is native too. And Okibi Krellscis won't kill the people in your caravan. He wants money and they have value when sold as slaves...except the merchants he will let them buy their way out.

Well, a bit much to say your outclassed....I can only help those that have and share my faith. It's very much help those that help themselves. And knowledge is always the greatest weapon.

Are you ready for that next step, or do you need more time? "

8. - Top - End - #188

BlueKnightGuy

As Tholaunt speaks, Norum considers his surroundings anew... to hear the god of knowledge tell it, perhaps Norum should give as much thanks to Tymora as anyone...

"I will be honest and tell you that I did not start my day intending to pledge myself to anyone.... I have never been a religious man. Perhaps because I have always had an aptitude for magic, I very much agree with a philosophy of helping yourself.

Your way seems to be my best way forward, but I would like to know a little more of what you'll ask of me. If there's to be a bargain, I would like to see both sides."

9. - Top - End - #189

Tholaunt "Very smart and wise of you. I knew we were a bit on the same scroll, but you can never really know about such things until you meet a person. Believe nothing of what you hear and maybe half and what you see and all.

I have a need for advocates, people that share my worldview and philosophy. Ones that will actively attempt to change the world....or, well, at least Thay. And spread my beliefs as they do so. For you, your all ready half way there, so it's not like a new path or anything. I offer a lot, saving your soul and all....you won't end up Faithless and a brick in the wall. And you help me, I help you sort of thing. A partnership. Even better if we share the same goals, but even not we are on the same path. Oh, and you will get the...possible...aid and support of any and all of my followers, though that is really case by case."

10. - Top - End - #190

BlueKnightGuy

"That seems more than reasonable. You've given me the shorthand of your faith- is there a long form? I assume you have a book?" Norum allows himself a small smile. "Or is there someone within Thay I should seek out?"

11. - Top - End - #191

Tholaunt "A book, several libraries, in fact. It would not be a bad idea to seek out a priest of my faith. For the most part, they are your allies. But, don't trust to blindly or anything...they are still Thavians."

12. - Top - End - #192

BlueKnightGuy

"Oh, that's the sort of detail I never lose sight of." Norum remarks dryly.

"So how do you suggest I leave this place? Do you know a way back to Toril, or must I seek one out on my own?"

13. - Top - End - #193

Tholaunt "I do know several ways. It would be an amazing chance if this earthmote did have a way back for you, but it's possible. You should look around. Hopefully we will meet again someday. "

14. - Top - End - #194

BlueKnightGuy

"Oh? You did talk about self reliance. I guess I'll get started then."

Spoiler
    Show
    what else is around here?

15. - Top - End - #195

The land is rocky and shows signs of being burned. Some tall stalks of white grass grow in scattered patches of to one side. A couple of leafless trees are scattered around the area. In one direction you can see some white smoke coming from some stone ruins of some sort.

16. - Top - End - #196

BlueKnightGuy

Norum gives Tholaunt a quizzical look. "So to sum up our little conversation here. You've asked me to be an advocate for your worldview and philosophy, but our meeting is entirely by chance, and there was as much possibility that I would have drowned in a lake of fire as land on this earthmote? You recommend I seek out your followers in Thay, but only if I can cross the multiverse to return to Thay?

I hope your average recruiting pitch is more selective than this. You've got the right audience, but your timing doesn't exactly set you up for success."

He extracts his wand of Cure Light Wounds from his haversack and taps himself until he successfully unlocks the wand's power.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Assuming Tholaunt is still there... if he's already gone, Norum simply says the above to the empty sky.
    Has it been long enough that Norum can sit down with his spellbook and refresh his spells? He'd look for a shady spot to do that in.

Use Magic Device Attempt #1: (1d20+11)[25] (I know failure doesn't use a charge, so it's not strictly required to roll outside of combat, but I do enjoy seeing how poor my luck can be!) Healing (1d8+1)[6]

17. - Top - End - #197

Tholaunt "Obviously we did not meet by chance. Sure there is a bit of obfuscation, but that is just the way of things. I know I have not been as clear as I could have on a couple things, but it's complicated. Your like, say a student on the first day of magic school: you can't cast an archmage spell like meteor swarm when you can't even cast the cantrip firefinger.

Well, an extra planual reversion only happens naturally like once a century on the entire planet of Toril. So, three happened just this week, and one of those was this one here. So, an argument could be made that this one was not natural, but no one did it. Well, at least unless someone looks very close.....and well, is a good detective.

Across the Multiverse? Might be a bit of an exaggeration. Cross an earthmote would be much more accurate. You want to go on a holy quest to reassemble the Tablet of Ahdet-Bei, let me know. But maybe we can save that for the future.

Time? Talk about a complex topic. It would have been something to meet on the Temporal Prime and not Elemental Fire. But then you'd need to be attacked by a chronovoid or such.

Time, fate, destiny is all very complicated and there never is a guarantee for success. Your a diviner, just wait until you start using such magic.

Show

You can stop and rest if you want too.

The wand works!

18. - Top - End - #198

BlueKnightGuy

"You say obviously, but that seems to contradict some of your previous statements. But I'll take your word for it."

"Are extraplanar reversions more common on other worlds than Toril? Could something be changing about our world that has made our world like them? More summons being cast, or some kind of convergence?"

"I will explore this area, but first I should rest and restore my spells."

19. - Top - End - #199

Tholaunt "Maybe I'm being to vague...not sure if tat is good or bad.

You want me to be a bit more straight? I can, but I warn you this is for your ears only. If you tell this to anyone you will ruin your life, death and afterlife. And, as it would be an act of freewill, I would not be able to help you. So, never ever say it to anyone. Some things must remain secret.

You are Faithless, so no god gets your soul when you die. But souls have a lot of value...like the mortal concept of money. Your soul might be worth say 25 gold, not much but more then nothing. And souls like money add up. Four make 100 gold and so on.

So everyone wants a soul, and will either ask you for it, trick you for it or take it. I'm doing the asking. Why today, well no real answer there....everyone has lots to do. There are many Faithless, False and people in the wrong spot. Getting to everyone takes time. So I'm not the only one who knows you exist, but everyone else is still of the mindset of taking their time to get to you. But as soon as they see I have interest, they will come quickly.

So, you see why I go through the trouble to make this all look normal. To a casual observer you just got effected by a extraplanar reversion. They will see that and look away. See there is no way for me to manifest on Toril without everyone noticing, but we are not on Toril. So, no extraplanar reversions are just as rare as they have always been...I made yours happen with a lot of slight of hand.

Now your not really meant to know all of that, so don't tell anyone.

Resting is a good idea. Time flows differently between the Everfire and Toril. You missed the fight hours ago. But, again, but just amazing chance, no one in the caravan was killed...they were just all taken captive. As soon as you get back you can free them, if you wish to...or do what ever else you want."

20. - Top - End - #200

BlueKnightGuy

"Hours?" Norum says in astonishment. His mind wheels through a calculation- he and Tholaunt had been talking for ten or fifteen minutes. If ten minutes on the Everfire were only two hours on Toril, then time is passing at a factor of 12. The three to four hours he spends restoring his spells would cost him at least two days back home. If he spends a full day exploring the nearby ruins, he will lose more than a ten-day. Multiple days here could easily allow a month to pass, and who knows if his sister's captors would keep her alive that long with no sign of the brother they obviously want to lure into their trap...

The rest of Tholant's declaration is equally surprising. He'd never considered himself Faithless, merely... perhaps, drawn multiple direction. Mystra's faith was too active in opposing his homeland to have ever held his interest, and Azuth was merely Mystra's lapdog, not worthy of worship. Oghma and even Deneir had been in his mind during his days as a student. While adventuring he'd followed the lead of his companions and left coins at Tymora's altar, along with Mask and Malar since two of his band had been priests.

And yet here Norum was, seemingly talking with Thoss, a god of the Mulhorand Empire, one-time enslavers of Thay. Am I his way in? So be it. If it meant a way to get his sister back, he'd pour all of Mulhorand and the Everfire too over his homeland. The people who killed his parents and drove him into hiding deserved no less.

"I'd not really thought of myself in that way. Faithless," he tells the god. "I've never been much for prayers, but I'll do what I can. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. Hope I can prove worth the effort. And if you do hear of my sister, Natalia... I'd do anything to have her safe."

Extracting his spellbook from his haversack, he finds a relatively sheltered place and settles in when his conversation with Tholaunt is finished. He prepares the components for his alarm spell and casts it.

21. - Top - End - #201

Tholaunt "Just remember everything I told you. I know it is a lot, but really your only on the first page.

I can't really focus one person, but you can and I will aid you there. Oh, and, don't forget to look around.

So until next time."

Tholaunt fades away.

22. - Top - End - #202

BlueKnightGuy

sigh Re: Roll of the Crimson Scroll

Norum watches the god vanish, then gives his surroundings another look. Brick in the wall, indeed.

He casts his alarm spell and settles in to restore his magical energies.

Show
    I'll wait till you give me the all clear before reseting my spells, just in case you have more fun planned.

23. - Top - End - #203

The smoking ruins off to the left beckon as just about the only cover you can see and looking like a good place to rest without being seen.

24. - Top - End - #204

BlueKnightGuy

Norum moves cautiously toward the ruins. Softly, he casts detect thoughts and uses the spell to scan the ruins before rounding any corners.

25. - Top - End - #205

You don't detect any thoughts coming from the ruins. The ruins look fairly old, at least several dozen years. Part of the second floor of the one corner is still standing over a single room with no door. The room is empty, but does have a metal door on the floor.

26. - Top - End - #206

BlueKnightGuy

Norum considers the metal door carefully, suspecting that his detect thought spell would be blocked by the depth of metal and stone around the building. Retreating a safe distance, he casts the elaborate ritual of his clairvoyance spell, centering the effects on what should be the middle of the stone structure.

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show
    Anything Norum can glean about the likely purpose of the ruin?
    Knowledge Engineering: (1d20+10)[11]

27. - Top - End - #207

The ruins look like a fairly common, fortified stone building.

Show

Are you picking see or hear for the clairvoyance spell?

28. - Top - End - #208

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: clairvoyance
    Show
    Sorry, thought it would be obvious: visual. My understanding is that clairaudience is the hearing version.

29. - Top - End - #209

You see rock and ruins, all quite old. Nothing is moving that you can see.

30. - Top - End - #210

BlueKnightGuy

Norum settles into the room to rest and restore his spells, setting his Alarm spell underground in the room so that it's 20' radius covers as much area outside as possible while also extending to the area beneath the metal door.

Once I've restored my spells, then I'll be ready to explore whatever's down there, he thinks to himself.

Spoiler: mental alarm
    Show
    The alarm is the metal alarm, not the audible one.
    Last edited by jscape2000; 2017-01-15 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added spoiler note