New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Thumbs up 2016 Holiday Ornaments (and 2017 Monster Calendar) are on sale now!

Hey guys. It's that time! The OOTS 2017 Monster Calendar is on pre-sale, like, right now. Wanna see the cover? Sure you do.

And here's a page. The first page, in fact:

As usual, the calendar is an Ookoodook exclusive, for all sorts of logistical reasons that lI won't go into here. But you can pre-order it here, now.

I will do my best to answer questions in the thread, but here's an FAQ composed of mainly the same questions people ask me every year on this thread:

Q: Where can I order this calendar?
    A: Here, at this link: Order of the Stick 2017 Monster Calendar

Q: If this is a pre-sale, when do you expect the calendars to ship?
    A: We are aiming for all pre-orders to shipped by December 9th. This is the same timeframe we target every year—and miss every year. So we're getting started a few weeks earlier without moving up the expected in-stock date, in the hopes that we can actually meet our intended goal. However, we cannot promise that the calendar will ship before December 9th, and we certainly cannot formally guarantee that everyone will receive their calendar in time for the winter gift-giving holiday of their preference. That's our planned schedule, but if we miss those dates please don't come here and yell at me that I swore a blood oath to deliver them on time.

Q: Will there be a charity donation with this year's calendar?
    A: Yes! We'll be donating $2 per calendar pre-ordered to one or more no-kill animal shelters. I haven't nailed down which ones—I have few personal favorites—but they'll be local to here in Philadelphia, or Houston, where the Ookoodook warehouse is located. Last year we were able to donate $1536.00 to MercyCorps, and I'd love to exceed that this year.

Q: Are those monsters on the cover representative of the monsters that are featured in the calendar?
    A: Nope! A few are, but mostly I just drew a bunch of random monsters for the cover.

Q: Hey, I don't see the holiday ornament, does this mean there's not one this year?
    A: No, there will definitely be a holiday ornament this year, along with at least a few t-shirts. But I haven't finished the art for them yet, and we have issues every year with the calendar getting printed and shipped. I made a decision to try to sell the calendar earlier this year to maximize the number of people who will get their calendars on time. The holiday ornament will be available probably around November 21st or so. The holiday ornaments are here! Scroll down to the end of the post to see a picture, or head on over to the CafePress shop to get them.

Q: Should I wait until you put the holiday ornament on sale before ordering the calendar?
    A: You certainly can, but there's no real benefit to doing so. The ornament will be sold by CafePress, not Ookoodook, and we can't plausibly combine shipping for items from the two different vendors. You won't save any money on shipping by waiting.

Q: Why are the overseas shipping costs from Ookoodook so high?
    A: Because Ookoodook is a very small company that is bringing these to the post office, and that's what the US Postal Service charges for an international package that can be tracked these days. Yes, Amazon charges less for shipping. Ookoodook is not Amazon.

Q: I hate that you waste your comic-drawing time on this stuff and wish you'd spend all of your waking hours producing the next comic and/or Kickstarter story.
    A: OK, well, here's the thing: The calendar and CafePress stuff takes me maybe around three weeks of drawing time, total, and generates enough income to let me pay my bills for a few months. During that time, I am free to work on the regular comic or the long-overdue Kickstarter material without having to worry about paying my rent. In fact, this stuff is incredibly efficient in regard to how long they take me to finish versus how much time they give me before I need to figure out where the money for next month's bills are coming from. So even if you don't want the calendar or the ornament, understand that putting them out is what allows me to keep working on the free comic.

Q: OK, but...where's the next comic?
    A: There will be a new one up later this morning, after I get all this promo stuff in place.

If there are any other questions about the calendar, feel free to ask them below.

EDITED TO ADD:

The 2016 Holiday Ornaments are now on sale. Here's a look:

You can get those from the CafePress shop as usual. In addition, the 12 previous designs in the "snowfall" series are also on sale, so if you missed out on any of those, you can pick them up now. Thanks!
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: New 2017 Monster Calendar is on pre-sale at Ookoodook

Hey, as long as we get a month dedicated to the flumphs, that's good enough for me!

Ah who am I kidding? I'm buying it anyway.
    Last edited by Yana; 2016-10-31 at 06:21 AM.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Now, if only I can convince my wife to let me get it. She nixed the last two calenders, but I have a good feeling about this year.

Edit: Aaaaaaand I was right. Ordered!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-10-31 at 10:52 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

for the third year in a row, ordered! thanks for the great work, Giant.
    My new tumblr on all things meta:

http://meta-net.tumblr.com/

Yes, Tarquin is there as the ultimate meta-villain.
    Open to suggestions or submissions

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The main theme of the comic is, "I'm glad I have a job where I can work in my pajamas."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Woo hoo! Thanks, Giant! Put me down for three!

Yes, I know, that's not really how I order them. I'll do it the right way, I promise!
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2016-10-31 at 01:24 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #6

Just ordered mine.

And since I always use the January of the last year for the next year till the new calender arrives it would be nearly a breach of tradition if this calender is on time here... also, this years January would have much less screen time then.

Not that I'm completely averse about a delivery in December
    Last edited by Zar Peter; 2016-10-31 at 01:57 PM.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q: I hate that you waste your comic-drawing time on this stuff and wish you'd spend all of your waking hours producing the next comic and/or Kickstarter story.
    A: OK, well, here's the thing: The calendar and CafePress stuff takes me maybe around three weeks of drawing time, total, and generates enough income to let me pay my bills for a few months. During that time, I am free to work on the regular comic or the long-overdue Kickstarter material without having to worry about paying my rent. In fact, this stuff is incredibly efficient in regard to how long they take me to finish versus how much time they give me before I need to figure out where the money for next month's bills are coming from. So even if you don't want the calendar or the ornament, understand that putting them out is what allows me to keep working on the free comic.

Q: OK, but...where's the next comic?
    A: There will be a new one up later this morning, after I get all this promo stuff in place.
    You are so kind and patient with people who expect you to not eat or sleep under a roof and still provide a free comic.

8. - Top - End - #8

Flumph

Ordered one and also one for 2016.

The shipping fee seemed to be a bit on the high side, over $10. Is that because they going to be shipping them separately or has the post office raised their rates? I don't need the 2016 one soon; it can be shipped with the new one and possibly save postage. I only buy them for the artwork and humor. If I need a calendar, I look at the one on my computer.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"No Remorhaz, No Regret"

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
    The shipping fee seemed to be a bit on the high side, over $10. Is that because they going to be shipping them separately or has the post office raised their rates? I don't need the 2016 one soon; it can be shipped with the new one and possibly save postage.
    Things you order with the calendar pre-order are not shipped separately; all of your stuff will arrive at once. If the shipping cost is over $10, then that's because that's what it costs them to ship. I'm not sure what size box Ookoodook uses for the calendars, but a Medium flat-rate Priority Mail box costs $11.95 domestic and $43.65 international. Yes, that international shipping price is utterly ridiculous; USPS overseas rates have been jumping up by leaps and bounds every year.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

For what it's worth, my shipping (domestic, cheapest option) was $3.50, but it was also calendar-only. Not bad at all, especially since I know what USPS charges my work for the occasional shipping we do.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thanks, Rich, for trying to get the Calendar in our hands earlier this year. I appreciate the effort.

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

I'm not sure what size box Ookoodook uses for the calendars, but a Medium flat-rate Priority Mail box costs $11.95 domestic
    This Priority Mail may be part of the problem. Ordinary mail would have been just fine. I didn't see an option for that and possibly they can't use it for some reason.

Perhaps I should contact them directly via the email address they included with the order confirmation.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Oddly, shipping gets worse as you add more. Shipping on one calendar is $3.60. On two, it's $8.79 ($4.40 each), and on three it's $11.30 ($3.77 each). Fifty cents is probably not worth the extra hassle of preparing three separate orders for the poor Ookoodook staff, though.
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

15. - Top - End - #15

OK, well, I'm not really going to get involved in shipping issues since I have no hand in that part of the process. If you want to discuss shipping concerns, you probably are better contacting Ookoodook directly, where at least you can discuss the particulars of your location or what have you.
    Rich Burlew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm both overseas and in somewhat cramped living conditions at the moment and so can't get the physical calendar. Will you be selling digital files of the calendar artwork, like how you sold digital files of the first couple OotS books and how you distributed the Kickstarter stories? (For that matter--any chance of selling digital copies of previous year calendar artwork?)
    Last edited by ZMiles; 2016-11-01 at 01:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Question Re: New 2017 Monster Calendar is on pre-sale at Ookoodook

And to add to the question, is there maybe an official distributor in Europe - seeing how at Ookoodook the calender's costs are negligible compared to the shipping costs. :)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

/

on one hand awesome calendar is awesome, on the other hand the international shipping is getting ridiculous...

(not that it prevents me from ordering one, but since the shipping now costs more than the calendar itself, it would be really nice to find a way to make it somewhat easier for folks outside the USA)

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    And since I always use the January of the last year for the next year till the new calender arrives
    You obviously have not seen the Arthur episode that shows the dangers of not changing the calendar to the new year calendar precisely at midnight....
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Oddly, shipping gets worse as you add more. Shipping on one calendar is $3.60. On two, it's $8.79 ($4.40 each), and on three it's $11.30 ($3.77 each). Fifty cents is probably not worth the extra hassle of preparing three separate orders for the poor Ookoodook staff, though.
    Yeah, unfortunately that may inadvertently end up costing an order. I was going to order two at once to save on shipping, figuring I'd find someone to give the second one to. But since it's going to cost MORE to order two I'll just order one and wait to figure out who I'm giving the second one to so I can ship it directly to them. But that increases the chance that I'll forget about it by gift giving season. :(

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bragolgirith View Post
    And to add to the question, is there maybe an official distributor in Europe - seeing how at Ookoodook the calender's costs are negligible compared to the shipping costs. :)
    I seem to recall that last year a bunch of German Oots fans combined their orders. Maybe try to set something like that up again?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Ordered, as always. And as always, international shipping is crazy expensive, but oh well, what can you do. I thoroughly enjoyed the calendars thus far and I certainly don't want to miss one.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Ordered! My Oookoodook order number is just a little away from the magic numbers of 2016 and 2017, so I think some people are hitting those today.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Add me to the list of people who can't really justify buying a $38 calendar, which is what it'd be when shipping is taken into account. Sorry.
    Last edited by factotum; 2016-11-02 at 11:01 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Question Re: New 2017 Monster Calendar is on pre-sale at Ookoodook

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Add me to the list of people who can't really justify buying a $38 calendar, which is what it'd be when shipping is taken into account. Sorry.
    Me too, especially since $1 is almost £1 these days, although I have never really wanted a calendar so my threshold is much lower than that and I have never ordered one. Always wanted to see the artwork and character parts though, and would happily pay for a PDF that collects all the calendar strips & art (minus the useless day tracking bits, I have an absent minded nerd cred to uphold you know - being aware of what day it is would ruin that ) Books on the other hand must have physical copy! non-negotiable.

So, Giant, now you've dipped your toe in the sale of PDFs, any chance you would consider doing this for those who don't want calendars or pay shipping but would like to see the art you spend a couple of weeks on because we love OOTS?
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 2016-11-08 at 09:49 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Just ordered mine. Looking forward to getting it--I'll probably hang it in my cube at work!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    Me too, especially since $1 is almost £1 these days, although I have never really wanted a calendar so my threshold is much lower than that and I have never ordered one. Always wanted to see the artwork and character parts though, and would happily pay for a PDF that collects all the calendar strips & art (minus the useless day tracking bits, I have an absent minded nerd cred to uphold you know - being aware of what day it is would ruin that ) Books on the other hand must have physical copy! non-negotiable.

So, Giant, now you've dipped your toe in the sale of PDFs, any chance you would consider doing this for those who don't want calendars or pay shipping but would like to see the art you spend a couple of weeks on because we love OOTS?
    +1 for the PDF version. I'd pay the normal retail price for a PDF version of the calendar and get it printed locally in the UK.

28. - Top - End - #28

Hey guys, here are some updates:

First, the calendar is set to finish being printed on Monday, December 5th. From there, it will take 2-3 days to ship to Ookoodook's warehouse, after which they will start shipping them out to customers. In the past, they were able to blast through all the pre-orders in a two days, so there's a good chance all calendars will be in the mail by the end of the day Friday, the 9th. If these facts change, I'll let you know.

Second, the OOTS holiday ornaments are on sale now at CafePress. We have two this year, as in previous years: a "snowfall" ornament and a "battle" ornament. The snowfall one features the entire Order, because it's the last one I'll be doing in that design series. Next year, I'll either start a new design or I'll just have the battle ornament available. This year's battle ornament features Belkar ambushing a pair of hobgoblins. You can see (and buy) both of the designs here.

Also, because this is the last year for the snowfall series, I'm putting all of the retired designs from 2004 to 2015 back up on the site for the month of December. That way, anyone who missed a year or accidentally broke one can complete their whole set. This will be the last time these ornaments are offered, so if you need one or two to fill out your collection, now's the time. You can get all twelve previous ornaments here.

Normally, these ornaments would be accompanied by a slew of new t-shirt designs, but not this year. A pair of back-to-back family emergencies has kept me largely away from my work desk for the last 2 months or so (as I'm sure you've noticed). One of the many projects I need to keep spinning needed to fall by the wayside, and I chose the t-shirts. Maybe I'll do a run of designs mid-year 2017, but there won't be any right now, so no need to wait and see if they're coming.

I would also normally do a big announcement on the News page and tweet and update banners and such for the ornaments. And I will do that, but not until I manage to finish the next comic update. Consider this more of a Sneak Preview announcement, mostly because I know people who will want to get them on their tree for Christmas and every shipping day counts.
    Rich Burlew

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Thanks for the update, and I hope everything's okay with your family.

30. - Top - End - #30

Wow. So, CafePress has actually suspended my new ornament designs because they say that they need proof that I am the owner of the Order of the Stick trademark. I need to somehow prove that I'm me, even though I have been selling the same content on their site for twelve years—and the trademark type on the bottom of the ornament has literally been unchanged through all 12 previous ornaments (which are all still unsuspended). So, I guess it's good that I went ahead with that sneak preview, or else this would be a lot messier than it already is.

I have no idea how long this will take to resolve, but apparently no one will be able to buy the new ornaments until someone at CafePress fixes it. The old ornaments seem like they're still available, though I suppose anyone interested in buying the old ornaments will want to wait to buy the current ones, too.

Every year, CafePress gets a little bit more unfriendly to people who are trying to use it to maintain a brand rather than just randomly throwing up a slew of indiscriminate designs that the company can aggregate and sell cheap. I have strongly debated closing my shop there every year for the past few years, this might well be the last straw to get me off my butt to find an alternative after Jan 1.

Stay tuned, everybody.
    Rich Burlew